Author Topic: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]  (Read 144251 times)

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2018, 09:17:07 am »
I'm going to miss this. Travelling to Scotland for my Grandfathers funeral on Friday. Saturday I'll be flying to Abu Dhabi on the first leg of my trip to Mumbai.

Hope I land in Abu Dhabi to a positive result. A draw wouldn't be a terrible result, though I think we can and will win.
Thoughts with you and yours mate.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2018, 09:29:16 am »
Keita, Fabinho, Gino for me. Doubt it’ll happen, though. Hopefully Milner over Henderson, our captain looks like he needs a rest.

Fabinho won't play in my opinion.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2018, 09:34:03 am »
This already feels like it could potentially be a watershed moment in the season - think City's thumping win against our ten men/their attacking onslaught at Chelsea, or Chelsea going to City the season before and winning 3-1. Coming away with a good win against a title rival away, preserving a 100% record would really put the league on notice.

Spurs looked fabulous in that second half against Man Utd, but then awful once Watford turned up the heat against them at Vicarage Road two weeks ago.

Hopefully our Brazilian lads (mainly Bobby, I wouldn't expect to see Fabinho introduced here), are back in good time and not fatigued as it's a big pitch to be playing our football on.

Wouldn't be surprised to see same line up as the opening three, even if it did look like it needed a change just to freshen it up against Brighton. Milner will be fit after two weeks break so would expect to see him in over Henderson and would like to see Keita re-introduced for some extra guile. Hendo to return for PSG.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:23 am »
Interested to see what Klopp goes for in midfield.  The battle-hardened-Prem-battlers midfield at Leicester was a bit of a flop.

I'm assuming Keita comes back in and I can't see Milner not playing as he's not had any international football.  Wijnaldum to make up the three, I guess.  Spurs are one of the few sides who are considerably better in midfield than us, unless Dier plays.

Hopefully Pochettino sticks with Davies at left-back as he's the closest thing to a weak link for them.  I'd fancy Salah to find space down that side a good few times.

Spurs' midfield is comfortably their weakest area, only Eriksen would get into our team. Keita's a couple levels above anything else they have and Fabinho will be too when he gets up to speed.

Dembele's been on the decline for a while now, Wanyama's solid but unspectacular and Eric Dier is Eric Dier. Winks looks promising but he's still getting up to speed after his injury troubles last season, and I'd be surprised if he starts against us anyway. Based on this season's showings, I'd take Gini over any of them.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2018, 09:47:05 am »
Fabinho won't play in my opinion.

He'll be on the bench I reckon, and start against PSG

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2018, 10:45:14 am »
it all about the midfield at the moment since our back and forward players pick themselves. Spurs know this too so will be loking to capitalise on the middle three.
Keita for me is a must. the rest is a head scratcher. I really want to to shaqiri start cos i think he'd run his socks off and want to show his talent more than ever but feel it cant happen since we need milner to start.
this is where i might get blasted from some but there you go - Hendo - as a captain running the team, vocal, calm and composed he ticks all the boxes... but im not entirly sure what his other strengths are. he doesn't take free kicks, doesn't take pens, he's no alonso in his passing cos a lot of them are squared to the midfield or defence. His goal tally for liverpool is poor for a midfielder.

here we go....

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2018, 10:47:31 am »
I think the MF is really the only area of debate.

With this being away from home and with the likes of Moura, Alli, Erikson paying behind Kane, Klopp may decide to play a slightly more defensive MF set up, particularly from the start.

Something like Hendo/Fabinho (who although hasn't started was MoM the last time he played against them for Monaco) and Keita in front.

I'd like to see cameo's from Shaq and Lallana, we may even get to see Sturridge come on towards the end.

1-2 to the Reds :scarf
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2018, 10:59:24 am »
Would we see some  changes to the side? Maybe Clyne, Moreno, Keita come in as they only played once over the international break?

So maybe Alisson, Clyne, Gomez, Van Dijk, Moreno, Keita, Milner, Henderson/Fabinho, Firmino, Mane and Salah? Or maybe even Sturridge or Solanke in for Firmino?

Gives us the opportunity to go full strength against PSG and Saints.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2018, 11:11:47 am »
Would we see some  changes to the side? Maybe Clyne, Moreno, Keita come in as they only played once over the international break?

So maybe Alisson, Clyne, Gomez, Van Dijk, Moreno, Keita, Milner, Henderson/Fabinho, Firmino, Mane and Salah? Or maybe even Sturridge or Solanke in for Firmino?

Gini will start - well need him in this game and he’s been better than Henderson for a while now.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2018, 11:12:08 am »
Why would we fuck around with the full backs and put our weakest one defensively in in one of our hardest games of the season? Fuck that. This is more important than PSG.

Clyne isnt weak defensively. Moreno has improved as well.

Granted its likely to be the strongest side but we do have some scope to rotate. What we might lose in some quality we could make up for in more freshness/energy?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2018, 11:12:42 am »
Gini will start - well need him in this game and he’s been better than Henderson for a while now.

He didnt look great vs Leicester and he played twice in the break.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2018, 11:15:09 am »
Jurgen Klopp will finally have his full Liverpool squad back together at Melwood today as they step up their preparations for Saturday's Premier League clash with Tottenham at Wembley.

Brazilian trio Alisson Becker, Roberto Firmino and Fabinho are the last of the Reds' international contingent to report for club duty.

They returned to Merseyside on Wednesday evening and are expected to take part in Thursday's afternoon session at Melwood.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2018, 11:15:48 am »
He didnt look great vs Leicester and he played twice in the break.

Missed Keita ;)

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2018, 11:17:19 am »

I think rotation will be more likely for the Southampton game than this. Then with the league cup game on the Wed, it would basically give a lot of the guys a week and half rest before the Chelsea league match.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:14 am »
I think rotation will be more likely for the Southampton game than this. Then with the league cup game on the Wed, it would basically give a lot of the guys a week and half rest before the Chelsea league match.

Wouldnt that be too long out though? We have a weeks gap between that and Chelsea if you assume full rotation for the League Cup. That seems optimum.

Plus you would want to win the Saints game well and the best way is to get your best players to secure the result and even lower intensity during the game?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2018, 11:36:39 am »
Plus you would want to win the Saints game well and the best way is to get your best players to secure the result and even lower intensity during the game?
Yet you're advocating resting players against a side who have finished above us in eight of the last nine seasons™?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #216 on: September 13, 2018, 11:37:01 am »
Here's the rotation debate on here every year:

'we should definitely rotate'
'yes we should but we want to win every game'
'yes so we should play our "strongest" team in the next game'
'but we should rotate'
'oh yes we should definitely rotate'
'just not for this one'
'no because we want to win every game so not this one'

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 13, 2018, 11:41:21 am »
Wouldnt that be too long out though? We have a weeks gap between that and Chelsea if you assume full rotation for the League Cup. That seems optimum.

Think we'll start Mane, Firmino and Salah in both the Spurs and PSG games. They'll not all start vs saints or LC game imo, starts for Shaqiri and Sturridge in those, and it wouldn't surprise me if we start Solanke in the game Sturridge gets as well. Think Klopp likes Sturridge in a two, as shown when paired a fair few times with Origi.

Expecting Fabinho to get his debut vs PSG at expense of whichever of Milner and Henderson starts on Saturday and then basically play each champions league game. Midfield will likely be tweaked game to game now I think.

Expect we'll see near enough a complete change of the team in the League Cup game, with starts for both backup full backs and possibly Matip.

Essentially, we're going to see rotation in basically every game on my opinion and no-one will be immune to it. Then, who is rotated and when/where is going to be dependent on performances and displays of those individuals. I doubt we'll see the Mane, Bobby and Salah all start that many games over the next 3 months. Just vs the top 8 or so teams in the league, and maybe Napoli away, and CL games later in group if qualification is still in the balance.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2018, 11:48:08 am »
I'd like to see cameo's from Shaq and Lallana, we may even get to see Sturridge come on towards the end.

My understanding is that Lallana is injured and out until the end of the month.

I think Klopp will come out with the team that started the first few matches. It will be interesting to see if he's deemed Fabinho ready to start in place of Hendo/Gini/Milner. If he's ready and puts in a good performance then we have real options for PSG.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a Shaqiri start, and Sturridge given a decent run around, but I think that will have to wait until Southhampton/Chelsea.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2018, 11:55:14 am »
My understanding is that Lallana is injured and out until the end of the month.

I think Klopp will come out with the team that started the first few matches. It will be interesting to see if he's deemed Fabinho ready to start in place of Hendo/Gini/Milner. If he's ready and puts in a good performance then we have real options for PSG.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a Shaqiri start, and Sturridge given a decent run around, but I think that will have to wait until Southhampton/Chelsea.

My bad forgot about that, think you're right there - fcukin Ingurland if memory serves  :no

I just have a feeling that Fab may get some minutes possibly alongside Hendo (depending on how Klopp feels he is he is following the travelling).

Excited to see this lad.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 13, 2018, 12:44:02 pm »
Spurs injury news: Dele Alli (hamstring) – Unavailable for this weekend’s fixture. Juan Foyth (thigh) – Returned to training with the squad. Hugo Lloris (thigh) – Expected to be out for several weeks.  Moussa Sissoko (hamstring) – Will return to training with the squad next week.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #221 on: September 13, 2018, 12:45:54 pm »
Spurs injury news: Dele Alli (hamstring) – Unavailable for this weekend’s fixture. Juan Foyth (thigh) – Returned to training with the squad. Hugo Lloris (thigh) – Expected to be out for several weeks.  Moussa Sissoko (hamstring) – Will return to training with the squad next week.

Foyth I've heard of that!
Better looking than Samie.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2018, 12:47:13 pm »

Good news for us!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2018, 12:52:13 pm »
Clyne isnt weak defensively. Moreno has improved as well.

Granted its likely to be the strongest side but we do have some scope to rotate. What we might lose in some quality we could make up for in more freshness/energy?

Unlikely that Klopp will make that many changes at the back in this type of game, he will rotate but he won't be rotating both of our fullbacks in this match. I imagine that will more than likely occur next weekend against Soton

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2018, 12:55:42 pm »
I've got a good feeling about all this...bring on the Spurs!

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2018, 01:01:21 pm »
No Lloris or Alli, which means that Lamela will probably play.. need to get our own back after his antics last season.

Just please do not play the same midfield. We need Naby in there, but now is probably not the time to start Fabinho so I'd hope/expect Naby/Gini/Milner

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2018, 01:21:07 pm »
I think Fabinho is much more likely to start against PSG especially given that that would be a French team that he is very used to playing against. I think we should field our strongest team in this match as Spurs is a very strong team. Therefore Milner instead of Henderson to play with Wijnaldum and Keita in midfield.  The rest pick themselves.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #227 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:34 pm »
this is where i might get blasted from some but there you go - Hendo - as a captain running the team, vocal, calm and composed he ticks all the boxes... but im not entirly sure what his other strengths are. he doesn't take free kicks, doesn't take pens, he's no alonso in his passing cos a lot of them are squared to the midfield or defence. His goal tally for liverpool is poor for a midfielder.

I'll bite.

Actually his passing forward is great, he's played some sublime laser guided passes over the past 12 months but he doesn't do it every game so it gets forgotten. It also gets forgotten in the noise of his annoying tendancy not to go for the forward option but turn back towards his own goal, the Leicester goal being a pretty text-book example of this.

What you need in our set-up is a pivot behind the other 2 CMs and, for the most part, he does that pretty well, but it does mean he's not the guy running into the box from CM to score. He's also not our best FK or Pen taker so you don't see him as being an asset there.

Maybe his strongest attribute is that he's vocal, calm & (mostly) composed)? He runs all day and, while his highlight reel may not be the best, he does almost everything to a sustained high level of performance. Maybe his highlight reel is those times he cuts off passing lanes and forces opponents to stop and chose other options. That's nothing fancy but essential to our way of playing.

I think that he's got more competition in CM this season than he's ever had at the club and he has to show that he has an extra dimension to his game that sets him aside from Gini, Milner, Keita, Fabinho, AOC. I assume Fabinho not playing is because Klopp thinks he's not ready yet, Gini & Milner are quickly being the 2 to beat and Keita, for all his ability has yet to dominate a game from CM which is probably why Hendo, when he's fit, is still getting a game in that last slot. Maybe the first couple of games were WC hangover and it was always his place to lose? Maybe Klopp decided that Hendo's physical presence was preferable to Keita's guile against Leicester and he'll revert against Spurs?

Personal take for tomorrow: Gini & Milner are locks for me. Spurs pressing means you can't have your pivot being slow to move the ball on and you need someone with an eye to beat the press. This game is tailor made for Keita. The rest of the team picks itself.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 13, 2018, 01:31:36 pm »
Lloris out with a thigh problem?  ;D

yeah, sure
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2018, 01:32:04 pm »
Gini, Keita, Milner in midfield for me. Hendo was very poor against Leicester and I don’t think he’s up to speed yet. It’s no coincidence that the three lads we started with in the first three games all had the summer off and looked far sharper than Hendo. I badly want to see Fabinho as well but I’d be amazed if we chose this as the game to get him going for us.

They’ll be without Lloris, Alli and probably Son as well. Kane looked awful against Watford but he can still score without playing well so I’d still expect him to have at least one major contribution. Just got to have Virgil match him, which he’s more than capable of.

1-3 the Redmen.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline ash2001

• Klop up front, Chan in goal & Milner in defence.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »
may be we should be playing deep, giving that Son and Lucas are very fast. He will be playing Son no doubt.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2018, 01:39:56 pm »
may be we should be playing deep, giving that Son and Lucas are very fast. He will be playing Son no doubt.

Son's just played eight internationals in a month which includes travelling. He might be on the bench but I can't see him starting.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2018, 01:40:59 pm »
No Lloris or Alli, which means that Lamela will probably play.. need to get our own back after his antics last season.

Just please do not play the same midfield. We need Naby in there, but now is probably not the time to start Fabinho so I'd hope/expect Naby/Gini/Milner

Lamela is a doubt too.
If i'm right all their injuries are thigh/hamstring.
Has Souness taken a few training sessions there?
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 13, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »
Thought Alli had a neck ache or sore back? How's he done his hammy? Point is the snide shit may just be fit after all. Lloris nursing his hangover is good news but just like every other f'in sub keeper expect Vorm to have the game of his life.

Keita, Gini and Milner for me in the midfield,Gini as the 6 - thoughts?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 13, 2018, 01:50:51 pm »
Thought Alli had a neck ache or sore back? How's he done his hammy? Point is the snide shit may just be fit after all. Lloris nursing his hangover is good news but just like every other f'in sub keeper expect Vorm to have the game of his life.

I've not heard of him having a neck ache or sore back, it's been an hamstring injury all week.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 13, 2018, 01:53:16 pm »
Very unlikely Son will start.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2018, 01:55:57 pm »
I've not heard of him having a neck ache or sore back, it's been an hamstring injury all week.
You calling me a liar  ;D

No idea where I got neck ache from, just hope he is injured and misses our game.   
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2018, 02:04:05 pm »
Outstanding OP and an absolutely superb piece of writing E2K.

As for the match - no need to change much in my view. The back 4 and front 3 pick themselves, although Shaqiri is close to a start in my opinion.

Keita has to start in midfield as his box to box energy and strength will be essential, along with his ability to support the strikers. Milner and Gini can take care of the other midfield duties, with Henderson replacing either if needed.

I think the time for Fabinho or any other tinkering is after PSG. There are lots of games to give players their debut and to start rotating, but Spurs at Wembley isn't one of them, and we need to keep this momentum going so players continue to gel. After PSG we have Southampton (PL) and Chelsea (EFL cup) both at home, so I assume we'll go strong for Spurs and PSG, then rest players before the Chelsea league game at the end of the month.

Oh, and of course Mignolet in for Alisson who is clealry an evil fascist  ;D
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #239 on: September 13, 2018, 02:42:02 pm »
I was in agreemeht that at Spurs should not be where Fabinho starts. But with Alli and Son out, I wonder if this is maybe a match that would suit. Kane is not on fire either. Plus it’s away at Wembley and not the new WHL.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:43:48 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock