Author Topic: Spanish Football  (Read 586251 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Spanish Football
« Reply #3560 on: April 25, 2018, 06:43:59 pm »
He's not imo.

Fair enough, it's all about opinions and you can't argue with his numbers but most of the time, I don't think he's that fun to watch, even compared to his Man Utd days (not that I found it fun watching him :P). Iniesta's been similarly effective for his team and I find him far more joyful to watch.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3561 on: April 25, 2018, 07:08:55 pm »
Goalscoring consistency yes. Performance wise? Over the last 4 years I'd take Suarez over him hands down.

No one player is the reason a team wins 3 CL's in 4 years. The first one of those Ramos was the clutch player anyway. not Ronaldo. Having the best midfield in the world helps too, no?
Ronaldo has been superbly clutch in the last 2 CL wins and his record in the competition is amazing. no doubt.

I also think the greatest footballers make their teammates look better. Also, being shite half the season is why the most expensively assembled squad ever (until PSG took over) has 2 league titles in Ronaldo's decade at Madrid.

Over the last decade Ronaldo is clearly the second best player. What is perplexing is how the media tries to compare him to Messi. Seriously, they don't even play the same game. The fact they have the same number of Ballon D'or awards is lunacy to boot.

If you go by pure numbers, you'd think Salah and Ronaldo have had similar seasons. If you actually watch both teams, there is a massive difference, yes, massive difference. One is an elite poacher. The other doesn't take penalties, and scores in far more games and doesn't pad out stats with 4 goals vs Maribor and Leganes.

Let me ask you, who was the better player. Dalglish or Rush? Rush was the better goalscorer. Dalglish was the better footballer. There was quite a big gap too, as good as Rush was. Ronaldo is an all time great finisher. He's never dominated games like Zidane did in his heyday or like Messi has so many times in the last decade, or like Ronaldinho did.

Can't wait for us to put grease boy and his media bandwagon in their place next month.

Ronaldo gets them to the finals. No player wins it on his own, but when he's not scoring, neither are they and when he is not in form, neither are they.

Ronaldo was a winger for the first  several years of his career, and the fact that he's turned himself and developed himself into a center-forward that no one has seen before at this level for this long is a testament to his will determination and ability

You keep asking me about Messi and Ronaldo, and I am not debating Messi and Ronaldo. Messi is the better player, always has been always will be. What I am saying is Ronaldo is above everyone else. You use Cavani in a bloody sentence, who couldn't hit a barn door when he needs to in the most crucial moments, a serial bottler. And Auba? Seriously?

Lewandowski is a world class player but he hasn't done what Ronaldo what has done . Not for the period he has. The bloke is averaging 50 goals a season for the last 10 years. He's had a horrible start to this yer and he's 2 goals away from equaling what he did all of last year with several games left.

Messi
Ronaldo

Everyone else and that includes Suarez,Lewandowski,etc..

And there is absolutely nothing I like about Ronaldo, but I can't discredit the man at all, as much as I dislike him

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3562 on: April 26, 2018, 02:27:24 pm »
I would go even further to be honest. I don't think Ronaldo is close to Messi. He's still the second most destructive player in the world and is incredible in every conceivable manner, but he's not Messi. Messi is both the best finisher and the best creator in the world. Ronaldo is the best finisher in the world alongside Messi. Messi just has more strings to his bow.

This is how I view it and probably many others.

Over the last 5-10 years I 'd say that for most of the time the gap between Messi and Ronaldo has been smaller than the gap between Ronaldo and 3rd best player in the World. At times there's been players who have been close - Iniesta at times, Suarez for a few seasons, Salah this season. But no-one consistently has been close to those 2.

Messi is arguably the best player to have ever played the game. The fact that Ronaldo has been even remotely close to him, and to be fair even matched him on occasion, tells you all you need to know about how good he is.

And I'm saying this as someone who hates the prick.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #3563 on: April 27, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »
http://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2018/04/26/5ae10318e5fdea021c8b462b.html

If he was called Andresinho he would have won the Balon D'or twice.

Sergio Ramos, the Spanish Allardyce.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3564 on: April 27, 2018, 01:49:44 pm »
Apparently Iniesta wants a move where he can guarantee he won't have to play against Barcelona.

Everton?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3565 on: April 27, 2018, 02:09:05 pm »
Fair enough, it's all about opinions and you can't argue with his numbers but most of the time, I don't think he's that fun to watch, even compared to his Man Utd days (not that I found it fun watching him :P). Iniesta's been similarly effective for his team and I find him far more joyful to watch.
The way I see it is the main strength of Ronaldo is his goal scoring and his athletic ability. But Messi's goalscoring record is better than Ronaldos. In fact it isn't even close.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3566 on: April 27, 2018, 02:23:18 pm »
Iniesta! Was he all that?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #3567 on: April 27, 2018, 02:27:26 pm »

Probably; and a little bit more

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3568 on: April 27, 2018, 02:47:40 pm »

Nah, Spanish Scott Parker basically. (without the bravery of course)
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3569 on: April 27, 2018, 02:49:40 pm »
Sign him up imo.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3570 on: April 27, 2018, 03:17:05 pm »
Still one of the better midfielders at Barca. Wish him all the best, and I hope to see him as a coach at some point (though not sure if he is suited for that).

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3571 on: April 27, 2018, 04:03:28 pm »
Would be great as an experienced squad option. From what I have seen he struggles to play 90 minutes now

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3572 on: April 27, 2018, 04:26:24 pm »
One of the best off the bench when we're leading options we could sign. Watch him retain the ball with time killing possession and calm headed decision making. One of the best slow tempo footballers ever.

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #3573 on: April 27, 2018, 10:00:12 pm »
Don't follow Spanish football much but why is he moving away at 31? You'd think he could do 2-3 more years at least. He wouldn't be moving out of europe purely for money as I guess he's not short of cash.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3574 on: April 27, 2018, 10:18:01 pm »
Don't follow Spanish football much but why is he moving away at 31? You'd think he could do 2-3 more years at least. He wouldn't be moving out of europe purely for money as I guess he's not short of cash.
He will be 34 in 2 weeks mate

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3575 on: April 27, 2018, 10:19:53 pm »
Apparently Iniesta wants a move where he can guarantee he won't have to play against Barcelona.

Everton?
Safe choice as you'd probably avoid facing any european team for the next 10 years as an Everton player.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3576 on: April 28, 2018, 09:30:03 pm »
Vincenzo Montella has been sacked. 👉https://bbc.in/2Hz9TPJ

Montella sacked...AGAIN. Twice in one season.  ;D

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3578 on: April 29, 2018, 04:41:45 pm »

'Las Palmas Announce All Supporters Will Receive Free Season Tickets Following Relegation'...

http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-las-palmas-announce-all-supporters-will-receive-free-season-tickets-20180427
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3579 on: April 29, 2018, 09:27:24 pm »
Barca just scored a crazy goal. Messi-Suarez one two in a crowded box.

We live in a golden age of football with so many brilliant sides. Liverpool, City and Barca all play spectacular football under great pressure.

Oh and they’ve scored again and Messi has overtaken Salah for the European Golden Boot.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3580 on: April 29, 2018, 09:29:54 pm »
Its crazy that Messi scoring 43 in a season is considered an off year.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3581 on: April 29, 2018, 09:31:33 pm »
Its crazy that Messi scoring 43 in a season is considered an off year.

His off-season is being Mohamed Salah. That’s why he’s the best ever.

That’s his 40th Career Hat-trick!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3582 on: April 29, 2018, 09:33:06 pm »
Hes no Salah.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3583 on: April 29, 2018, 10:39:55 pm »

Deportivo vs Barcelona highlights - https://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlights/comments/8fta9h/deportivo_la_coru%C3%B1a_vs_barcelona_la_liga_29apr2018/

Winning the league with 4 games left - not bad, and still undefeated too.

7 out of the last 10 league titles won for Barcelona, their 25th in total.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3584 on: May 2, 2018, 11:17:17 am »
No more La Liga on Sky. They've lost the rights to some crowd called Eleven Sports, which is owned by the guy who owns Leeds.

International sports broadcaster Eleven Sports has today (Wednesday) moved into a new market after ousting pay-television broadcaster Sky as the rights-holder to LaLiga, the top division of Spanish club football, in the UK and Ireland.

Eleven, which currently operates in Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, Poland, Singapore, Taiwan and the United States, has agreed a three-season deal with LaLiga running from 2018-19 to 2021-22.

At present it is unclear whether Eleven plans to launch a new channel in the UK and Ireland, or exploit the rights on an OTT basis. In a statement, Eleven said it will announce details in the coming weeks about the “innovative ways” in which it will package and distribute the action.

Eleven also currently holds LaLiga rights in Belgium and Poland. Marc Watson, executive chairman and chief executive of Eleven Sports, said: “This is an incredibly exciting time for our young and dynamic company and we will announce soon how we will introduce innovative ways for dedicated fans to watch and engage in the live action.

“The way people, especially young people, watch live sport is changing and we always try to reflect that in the ways we make our product available. We are excited about the opportunities we have to do this in the UK and Ireland.”

The Daily Mail newspaper last month reported that LaLiga had rejected Sky’s offer to extend its rights deal in the UK and Ireland. Sky was said to have made an offer worth less than the £18m (€20.6m/$25.6m) per season it currently pays for the rights.

Sky last extended its rights agreement for LaLiga in August 2015. The deal for the UK and Ireland was for three seasons, from 2015-16 to 2017-18, and took Sky’s partnership with LaLiga into its 20th year.

Commenting on the Eleven deal, LaLiga president Javier Tebas said: “We have worked very hard to promote the excellence of LaLiga in the UK and Ireland and we are confident that Eleven Sports will help us to grow and innovate our brand in the market for years to come.”
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3585 on: May 2, 2018, 11:17:59 am »
Can no longer watch on Sky next season as they have just lost the rights. Annoyed at this, hate sky, but they aren't going to reduce their prices.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3586 on: May 2, 2018, 11:24:45 am »
Can no longer watch on Sky next season as they have just lost the rights. Annoyed at this, hate sky, but they aren't going to reduce their prices.
Such a shame

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3587 on: May 2, 2018, 11:29:21 am »
Such a shame

Whilst I hate monopolies it's the cheapest way to watch football.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3588 on: May 2, 2018, 11:33:54 am »
If they intend to make people pay to watch it as a stand alone channel then its got no chance of picking up a decent amount of viewers.

BT has seen CL viewers dwindle and they are offering a shit more content than just La Liga, as well as offering certain perks with their broadband, etc.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3589 on: May 2, 2018, 11:37:48 am »
If they intend to make people pay to watch it as a stand alone channel then its got no chance of picking up a decent amount of viewers.

BT has seen CL viewers dwindle and they are offering a shit more content than just La Liga, as well as offering certain perks with their broadband, etc.

Yeah that's what I think too. I watch la liga when it's on. But I bet not that many do. It's just a nice bonus. to be honest if sky got rid of F1 that would be it for me. I always hope it all goes through one provider. Everyone moaned at Sky's monopoly but overall was cheapest way to watch it all.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3590 on: May 2, 2018, 11:42:23 am »
Would be cool if it was on a free-to-air channel but the chances of that are nil.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3591 on: May 2, 2018, 11:43:56 am »
Would be cool if it was on a free-to-air channel but the chances of that are nil.

As craig says. Who's going to pay extra to watch la liga from the Uk and Ireland. I bet not many. If they are basing their revenue on viewing figures then it's an awful business decision. People watch it because they can. People won't go out their way to pay for another subscription to watch it.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3592 on: May 2, 2018, 11:46:02 am »
As craig says. Who's going to pay extra to watch la liga from the Uk and Ireland. I bet not many. If they are basing their revenue on viewing figures then it's an awful business decision. People watch it because they can. People won't go out their way to pay for another subscription to watch it.

It'll probably get put on BT or maybe that Premier Sports channel.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3593 on: May 2, 2018, 11:47:48 am »
It'll probably get put on BT or maybe that Premier Sports channel.

The only way is if they team up with BT sports. With an add on option of say £2 a month. People really won't bother getting a separate subscription. 

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #3594 on: May 2, 2018, 11:48:07 am »

They talk about 'an innovative way to watch and engage with the action'. Unless they're planning on partnering with a phone/broadband/ISP company or a social media giant like Facebook / Twitter or Google and offer it subscription free, then it just becomes another pay TV channel that nobody will want, save for the two Classicos.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3595 on: May 2, 2018, 11:51:46 am »
Honestly don't think sky will care.

I mean yes they will get people demanding money off their contracts, like they do already and a some may cancel. But I doubt many will cancel based on this alone.

They may lose some revenue but they will save on the actual price of contract. They would have had a max price where it was worth it to them and Eleven Sports have gone much higher.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3596 on: May 2, 2018, 01:22:44 pm »
Whilst I hate monopolies it's the cheapest way to watch football.

Yep. The people that stopped Sky from getting everything don't see this though!

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3597 on: May 2, 2018, 01:49:20 pm »
Yep. The people that stopped Sky from getting everything don't see this though!

Until internet streaming based subscriptions take off properly.

Forza paying £5 a month for Liverpool games like the NBA does at some point in the future.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #3598 on: May 2, 2018, 02:39:26 pm »
Fucks sake, I liked watching the Spanish footy. They lost the cup matches at some points too a few years ago, kept the finals though
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3599 on: May 2, 2018, 03:00:41 pm »
Looks like I'll bin my sports package from Virgin next season. Can stream whatever games I do watch as someone will sort me a sky sports/ BT sports login.