Author Topic: General Rugby Union Thread  (Read 596257 times)

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
General Rugby Union Thread
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:08:49 am »
Only 162 days to go  :P

All the fixtures are settled now, details on the RWC website:

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/fixtures/poolstage.html

Scotland and England start on the 10th of September against Romania and Argentina

Ireland and Wales start on the 11th against the USA and South Africa, huge game that for Wales

All 4 home nations are in action over the summer in warm-up matches:

6th of August: England v Wales (Twickenham), Scotland v Ireland (Murrayfield)

13th of August: Wales v England (Cardiff), France v Ireland (Bordeaux)

20th of August: Ireland v France (Dublin), Wales v Argentina (Cardiff), Scotland v Italy (Murrayfield)

27th of August: Ireland v England (Dublin)

Ireland seem to be taking the warm-ups seriously, playing four games against 3 for Wales and England and only 2 for Scotland.

Anyone going to any of the warm-ups or the world cup itself?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:31:42 am by Pheeny »
Legacy fan

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 - warm-up games and tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:52 am »
I'm thinkng about going to Scotland v Ireland at Murrayfield as I'm on holiday for a couple of weeks then - just need to convince the wife that Scotland is an ideal holiday destination in August!

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:16:57 am »
Game times are horrendous for us northern hemisphere people - 1am to 9.30am!

Think there will be a few late evenings in work and late morning starts to accomodate this.

EDIT: Quarters - Final are all 6am to 9am starts so a bit more respectable

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:26:32 pm »
France only playing the 2 warm-ups as well, both against Ireland.

I think Ireland might be overdoing it here, their first game shouldn't be a tough one so I don't see the need to risk injury and fatigue with all those warm-ups.
Legacy fan

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:31:53 pm »
think Ireland overdoing it, England playing Wales twice hmmm
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 01:32:47 pm »
think Ireland overdoing it, England playing Wales twice hmmm
I wouldn't worry about us overdoing it we'll underperform massively at the WC whatever our build up - guaranteed

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:44 pm »
I wouldn't worry about us overdoing it we'll underperform massively at the WC whatever our build up - guaranteed

It will be hard not to finish 2nd in a group containing Italy, Russia and the USA but then you'll come up against South Africa in the quarterfinal.
Legacy fan

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 01:45:51 pm »
It will be hard not to finish 2nd in a group containing Italy, Russia and the USA but then you'll come up against South Africa in the quarterfinal.
We'll make hard work of that group. South Africa may actually help us to lift our game but we'll see

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »
Tickets for the match against Wales at Twickenham are on sale via Ticketmaster or through rugby clubs.
Legacy fan

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 07:06:32 pm »
Tickets for the match against Wales at Twickenham are on sale via Ticketmaster or through rugby clubs.

If it's ticketmaster the prices will be sky high.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 07:08:05 pm »

Surely this is your time to challenge seriously for the world cup, as a lot of your players will be at their peak.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #11 on: April 1, 2011, 10:49:47 am »
If it's ticketmaster the prices will be sky high.

They're not as much as a 6N game but on Ticketmaster you'll have to pay the booking fee.

Surely this is your time to challenge seriously for the world cup, as a lot of your players will be at their peak.

Are they at their peak or coming down the other side? Might be a last hurrah for a lot of them.
Legacy fan

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 1, 2011, 10:54:56 am »
They're not as much as a 6N game but on Ticketmaster you'll have to pay the booking fee.

Are they at their peak or coming down the other side? Might be a last hurrah for a lot of them.
Players like O'Driscoll, Wallace, O'Gara are definately heading down the other side and this will probably be their last World Cup so that may inspire a few of them to great things one last time!

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #13 on: April 1, 2011, 11:30:44 am »
Players like O'Driscoll, Wallace, O'Gara are definately heading down the other side and this will probably be their last World Cup so that may inspire a few of them to great things one last time!

Beat Australia to win pool C and you'll probably meet Wales, come 2nd and you'll probably play South Africa.

South Africa is the most likely outcome, would love to see Ireland beat them.
Legacy fan

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: April 1, 2011, 11:35:36 am »

I thought last time was their big chance and they flopped horribly.

I have a wedding in Edinburgh on the day of Scotland v England. Should be fun!

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #15 on: April 1, 2011, 11:45:56 am »
Good news that the matches will be on ITV rather than Sky, hope that they will broadcast them in HD though rather than stick them out on ITV4 or something.

ITV have the 2015 rights as well
Legacy fan

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 1, 2011, 12:47:45 pm »
I thought last time was their big chance and they flopped horribly.

I have a wedding in Edinburgh on the day of Scotland v England. Should be fun!
Hello Vicar!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 1, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »

O'Gara maybe, but I don't agree about O'Driscoll and Wallace. Wallace is one of the most underrated rugby players out there, he has been so consistent for Ireland. I still think the Ireland back row is probably the best in the NH, Heaslip is a beast.

Offline weebroalan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 3, 2011, 11:13:46 am »
O'Gara maybe, but I don't agree about O'Driscoll and Wallace. Wallace is one of the most underrated rugby players out there, he has been so consistent for Ireland. I still think the Ireland back row is probably the best in the NH, Heaslip is a beast.
O'Driscoll is 32 and Wallace is 34 so I'd say there's no way they will play in the next world cup when they'll be 36 and 39!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 3, 2011, 12:32:25 pm »
O'Driscoll is 32 and Wallace is 34 so I'd say there's no way they will play in the next world cup when they'll be 36 and 39!

I wasn't suggesting they would make it to the next world cup. It was just an observation for here and now. I would say that O'Driscoll is still important for you now, also I think Wallace is one of the most consistent performers in international rugby.   

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 10:44:12 am »
England World Cup training squad

Forwards: Mouritz Botha (Saracens), George Chuter (Leicester Tigers), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Alex Corbisiero (London Irish), Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers), Louis Deacon (Leicester Tigers), Paul Doran-Jones (Northampton Saints), Nick Easter (Harlequins), Hendre Fourie (Sale Sharks), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Unattached), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Lee Mears (Bath Rugby), Lewis Moody (Bath Rugby), Tom Palmer (Stade Francais), Tim Payne (London Wasps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Simon Shaw (London Wasps), Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks), Matt Stevens (Saracens), Steve Thompson (London Wasps), Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers), David Wilson (Bath Rugby), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Joe Worsley (London Wasps).

Backs: Delon Armitage (London Irish), Chris Ashton (Northampton Saints), Matt Banahan (Bath Rugby), Danny Care (Harlequins), Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks), Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers), Riki Flutey (London Wasps), Ben Foden (Northampton Saints), Shontayne Hape (London Irish), Charlie Hodgson (Saracens), Ugo Monye (Harlequins), Charlie Sharples (Gloucester Rugby), Joe Simpson (London Wasps), James Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester Rugby), David Strettle (Saracens), Mike Tindall (Gloucester Rugby), Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Jonny Wilkinson (Toulon), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 10:52:00 am »
Cannot wait for this. If our kicking is at least average we'll do alright I think.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 10:53:11 am »
I was looking at the permutations the other day. It looks like England could be playing familiar World Cup opponents if (and it’s a decent sized ‘if’) they can top the group. If they win it, they’d play the runner up of the NZ/France group in the quarters (hopefully France) and the winners of that play probably Australia/Wales in the semis. Unless Ireland decide to get involved in one of these for once! ;)

NZ and SA will be in the same half of the draw if they top their groups which is nice to see.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 02:20:29 pm »
Embattled Springboks coach Peter de Villiers is standing by his claims that 21 of his top players are genuinely injured and is denying a report they are at a secret training camp.

The under-strength world champions touched down in Wellington today ahead of Saturday's Tri-Nations test against the All Blacks at Westpac Stadium, still licking their wounds from the 39-20 loss to Australia in Sydney.

De Villiers denied a report from South African rugby journalist Mark Keohane which claimed newly appointed technical director Rassie Erasmus was working with the so-called injured players at a pre-World Cup camp in Rustenburg.

"So-called is not the right word to use, they're injured,'' de Villiers said.

"We know that the long Super 15 season is the cause of this and we just have to abide by that. They're not training. It [the report] doesn't surprise me because there's always mischief everywhere.''

The All Blacks are also resting players this week - key forwards Keven Mealamu, Kieran Read, Brad Thorn and Owen Franks. A decision de Villiers unsurprisingly supported.

"Graham Henry is a sensible coach and person. So I think that they know how to manage the players and the workload. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, it's when opinions become fact that you have to listen. It's only opinion but you take it as it comes.''

The always entertaining de Villiers, who Keohane described as "embarrassing,'' appeared confused when asked if it was disrespectful to leave the best players out of test matches.

"What do you mean by best players? The guys here at the moment, they performed in South Africa, in Super 15. There's a few guys who didn't make it that were also the best in Super 15. So best is a relative thing.''

De Villiers merrily continued down his cryptic path when the inquisitor replaced the word "best'' with "experience''.

"Experience, then I'll play Naas Botha too because he's helluva experienced. The guys that have actually performed, we've just rewarded them for their contributions to the game. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.''

------------------------------------

Stepping away from the fact de Villiers is a crackpot, there is no way all of those Sth African rugby players are injured.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »
Will be goin' to the Ireland v France and Ireland v England games.

Offline Legendary

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »
I'd say that they are, but that they're not serious injuries. Probably more precautionary moves plus he doesn't want them getting more injured during a warm-up game
Every Kick. Every Half. Every Game. Every Year. Liverpool Football Club.

Online archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 08:05:24 pm »
I'd say that they are, but that they're not serious injuries. Probably more precautionary moves plus he doesn't want them getting more injured during a warm-up game

Is the tri-nations tournament considered a warm-up?

In the context of the world cup following after I understand it perhaps may lessen in significance, but I'd be interested to hear what fans of these teams think about this?

Are there still issues about 'quota' players in SA squads?

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 09:50:27 pm »
Can't wait for this world cup, NZ are favourites but I think it's quite an open world cup with NZ, Australia, South Africa France, England, Ireland & even Wales all thinking they've got a shout. Argentina were the surprise last time. Would love to be there as NZ is such a lovely country.

Must add a belated well done to Samoa beating Australia the other week. A brilliant performance some great tries.
Samoa are my second team , as I've been to Samoa, lived in NZ with Samoans have two great pals in Australia who are Samoan & have a half sleeve Samoan tattoo. I love seeing them do well. Ok Australia weren't full strenght but that type of results boost all the lesser nations .

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 10:12:14 pm »
I fancy the Aussies to win it.

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 12:07:31 am »
I fancy the Aussies to win it.
I don't see the Aussie pack having the strength in depth to go through the whole tournament and keep beating the top sides....their backs are great but their scrum is poor.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 12:09:41 am »
Good news that the matches will be on ITV rather than Sky, hope that they will broadcast them in HD though rather than stick them out on ITV4 or something.

ITV have the 2015 rights as well

ITV4 is available in HD now too.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 12:14:51 am »
I don't see the Aussie pack having the strength in depth to go through the whole tournament and keep beating the top sides....their backs are great but their scrum is poor.
Our scrum isn't that bad. Not particularly great but serviceable. We get a bit butchered by refs in the scrum, particularly for collapsing, and usually on our own feed in attacking territory, which makes no sense. Its definitely our weakness, but it's got a lot to do with how the refs perceive us.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:57 am »
Cannot wait for this. If our kicking is at least average we'll do alright I think.

I'd be more worried about your scrum to be honest.

Edit:

Our scrum isn't that bad. Not particularly great but serviceable. We get a bit butchered by refs in the scrum, particularly for collapsing, and usually on our own feed in attacking territory, which makes no sense. Its definitely our weakness, but it's got a lot to do with how the refs perceive us.

It's not a stretch of the imagination that Australia have the goods in most departments to win the whole damn thing but let's be realistic. You get a hard times by refs the world over because your scrum is technically flawed and your depth in this area is seriously lacking.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:40:20 am by Gojedo »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 09:56:49 am »
Plus if things go to plan they'll be playing England in the semis and we know how that would end... ;)

DISCLAIMER - I was assuming this is like the cricket threads but all the Celts will probably gang up on me now!

I think Australia have a decent chance. From memory if seedings go to plan NZ and SA will be in the same half of the draw so the 'other' finalist is more likely to be from England (if we top our group which is no certainty), Australia, France or Wales.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:44 am »
I'd be more worried about your scrum to be honest.

It's not a stretch of the imagination that Australia have the goods in most departments to win the whole damn thing but let's be realistic. You get a hard times by refs the world over because your scrum is technically flawed and your depth in this area is seriously lacking.
Oh yeah it's a major concern and we definitely are not a strong scrum and absolutely we lack depth there, but we've not had a good scrum for a long time, and although we aren't good there, we also aren't one that's going to get pushed back over the ball time after time. I feel like, especially in tri-nations rugby, that whenever there is a problem in the scrum we are automatically penalised, even in situations where it would make no sense for us ruin the scrum. If it is down to poor coaching then i'm just lost for words considering its only been a problem for ages.

But yeah, when I say "do alright" I mean put in a good showing. If we win it it would be hugely unexpected, its really not in my thoughts.

On the topic, can you or someone explain the penalty of using "too much pressure" at the scrum?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:47:22 am by nicholasanthony »

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 10:50:13 am »
Plus if things go to plan they'll be playing England in the semis and we know how that would end... ;)
With either the Australian backs putting on a show or a boring kicking exhibition from England.  :P

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:41 am »
With either the Australian backs putting on a show or a boring kicking exhibition from England.  :P

Maybe even both. But with England winning regardless. :)

I can't remember it well but you beat us in the group stages in 1987. Since then we've played you 3 times in the knock outs and I think there's only been 2 tries scored each (unless you scored some in 2007, lost in a drunken haze!). Not open, running games but thrillers none the less. Well, as long as you win them anyway!

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 10:53:11 am »

On the topic, can you or someone explain the penalty of using "too much pressure" at the scrum?

This will be about pushing before the ball is in. You can get the first hit in when the ref calls "engage" but have to wait for the ball to push full on.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 10:59:09 am »

Too much pressure or engaging too early? Never heard of a penalty for exerting 'too much' pressure at scrum time. The rules surrounding the scrum and rugby in general have become maddening. I didn't mind the days when the packs sorted out the scrum themselves and the ref knew better than to advise.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 11:04:13 am »
Yeah I'm not sure because I only saw the early part of the match on the weekend but apparently we got penalised for "too much pressure", which I'd never heard of.
This will be about pushing before the ball is in. You can get the first hit in when the ref calls "engage" but have to wait for the ball to push full on.
Makes sense, wish I'd seen it but apparently everyone seemed clueless to the explanation.