Author Topic: Skybet Championship Thread 2018/19  (Read 85930 times)

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Skybet Championship Thread 2018/19
« Reply #80 on: August 5, 2018, 05:20:42 pm »
Absolutely crap from Butland there. Very overrated

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 5, 2018, 05:23:16 pm »
Paul heckingbottom was pretty bitter in the pre match, half time analysis should be fun

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 5, 2018, 05:25:32 pm »
Bielsa  8)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #83 on: August 5, 2018, 05:45:30 pm »
2-1 terrible defending leading to the penalty. That guy Phillips has his braids too tight, cutting off circulation to the brain.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #84 on: August 5, 2018, 05:46:26 pm »
Absolutely crap from Butland there. Very overrated
Not even rumoured to be getting a move to the PL

Stock has fallen off a cliff

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: August 5, 2018, 05:47:22 pm »
Bizzare wolves sold Barry Douglas for 3 million

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #86 on: August 5, 2018, 05:48:52 pm »
Stoke look absolutely terrible. Been impressed with Leeds.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 5, 2018, 05:58:59 pm »
I wouldn't mind Leeds coming up, this is probably their biggest chance in years. Also, long may Stoke stay in the championship.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: August 5, 2018, 06:06:15 pm »
What do all the players have next to there name on the shirt? I saw it with the derby game the other night but just presumed it was them but both these have it, like a little symbol?

Looks shit like

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 5, 2018, 06:07:01 pm »
Stoke look absolutely terrible. Been impressed with Leeds.

Leeds starred well last season.

It's the 1st game and you can't judge on that in the mad league of the Championship.

Stoke will be up there come the end of the season. Leeds who knows?

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: August 5, 2018, 06:26:30 pm »
Yeah it's an odd one. It sounds like they've got high hopes for a young Portuguese wing back they got from Monaco but he's only 19. Jonny is alright but he's never played in England before.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: August 5, 2018, 06:27:22 pm »
What do all the players have next to there name on the shirt? I saw it with the derby game the other night but just presumed it was them but both these have it, like a little symbol?

Looks shit like
https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/news/mind-logo-to-feature-on-all-efl-football-shirts-next-season/

It's Mind's logo, they're a mental health charity.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 5, 2018, 06:31:50 pm »
https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/news/mind-logo-to-feature-on-all-efl-football-shirts-next-season/

It's Mind's logo, they're a mental health charity.

Fair play. Just looks proper odd and I had no idea what It was. It's poorly placed, it looks really bad but I guess if they raise awareness then can't have too much of a pop

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 5, 2018, 06:38:37 pm »
14 assists last year, surprised someone in the bottom third didn’t try to buy him

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: August 5, 2018, 06:39:12 pm »
:lmao

This is the most bonkers translation I've ever seen

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: August 5, 2018, 06:42:23 pm »
:lmao

This is the most bonkers translation I've ever seen
to be fair I like that he’s at least trying to speak the language to the media even if it’s awkward like that, not like pochettino hiding behind a translator for the first year and a half when he could speak decent English

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: August 5, 2018, 06:44:03 pm »
to be fair I like that he’s at least trying to speak the language to the media even if it’s awkward like that, not like pochettino hiding behind a translator for the first year and a half when he could speak decent English

It was just funny mate because you could hear the translator in his ear and then Bielsa bludgeoning it. But yeah fair play he had a go.

I always liked Bielsa, little bit bonkers in his methods and that but i'd rather that than the dullards of Allardyce, Pulis etc

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: August 5, 2018, 06:54:17 pm »
It was just funny mate because you could hear the translator in his ear and then Bielsa bludgeoning it. But yeah fair play he had a go.
oh it’s funny, unintentionally but he’s good at unintentional humour
I always liked Bielsa, little bit bonkers in his methods and that but i'd rather that than the dullards of Allardyce, Pulis etc
gonna be a fun watch this season, if they go up it’ll be automatic as I think they’ll be knackered if it gets to playoffs

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #98 on: August 5, 2018, 06:56:04 pm »
Is this Gary Rowett fella gonna be the latest guy on the manager merry go round? He’ll probably fail, get sacked and replace McClaren at QPR by December

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #99 on: August 5, 2018, 07:00:21 pm »
Watch the first half and some of the second half of Leeds v. Stoke. Thought Leeds played nicely. So weird seeing Bielsa in the Championship, I like him and hopes he does well.

But how awful are Stoke? Where are the people who thought we should buy Butland? The lad is worse than our current 3rd choice and is no longer 20 (next Ben Foster?). Joe Allen deserves better.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #100 on: August 5, 2018, 07:46:52 pm »
Bielsa <3

I love him. What he did for our National Team was simply incredible. I will be forever grateful for that, even if he usually never finishes the process he starts, whether because the players force him out or because he clashes with the directors or whatever. He's such a great man.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #101 on: August 6, 2018, 05:35:00 am »
Bielsa just won interview of the season. I'll be looking out for his interviews every week now. It takes balls of steel to actually do this in front of cameras, and mad that he is, Bielsa will probably learn the language faster this way. Probably my favorite non-LFC manager after Rafa.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: August 6, 2018, 09:36:56 am »
Bielsa just won interview of the season. I'll be looking out for his interviews every week now. It takes balls of steel to actually do this in front of cameras, and mad that he is, Bielsa will probably learn the language faster this way. Probably my favorite non-LFC manager after Rafa.

Not seen his interview but I was sold here:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/04/leeds-united-marcelo-bielsa

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #103 on: August 6, 2018, 09:51:54 am »

Agree, it would have been easier to hide behind the interpreter but he had a go and i'm all for that.  Really hope Leeds do well this year.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #104 on: August 6, 2018, 12:08:30 pm »
It was mildly joyous to watch the Leeds v Stoke game in a room full of Stokies and a single Leeds fan.

The cluelessness of their reaction seems to match Stoke’s performance in this game. An expensive midfield laden with internationals overran and outfought, a £13.5m striker in Afobe who chased nothing and couldn’t hold up the ball when it was played to him. Shawcross and Martins Indi playing like strangers at Centre Back, moving at the speed of a tortoise through treacle. It was all quite delicious really.

I think Rowett will have them thereabouts at the end of the season, but they really should have put their money into young, hungry talent rather than ‘proven’ but underwhelming signings that have achieved nothing above Championship level, eg McClean, Williams, Afobe.

They looked shellshocked by Leeds rapid start yesterday.

Shout out to Sergi Canos, a fan favourite at Brentford who whilst not our level, has convinced me he can compete at Premier League level. Ran the show on Saturday.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: August 6, 2018, 12:19:55 pm »
I couldn't be more confident about Brentford this year, I think they're a smashing bet to win it at 14/1. Statistically last season they were one of the finest teams in the Championship; they took more shots a game than any other team by a massive margin and conceded very few themselves. They were just quite wasteful, if they tidy it up this time around (which it appears they have judging by the first game), I think they're going to take a world of beating. Last season in their current stadium too, so you know the fans are going to turn out every week to see it off.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #106 on: August 6, 2018, 12:25:48 pm »
I couldn't be more confident about Brentford this year, I think they're a smashing bet to win it at 14/1. Statistically last season they were one of the finest teams in the Championship; they took more shots a game than any other team by a massive margin and conceded very few themselves. They were just quite wasteful, if they tidy it up this time around (which it appears they have judging by the first game), I think they're going to take a world of beating. Last season in their current stadium too, so you know the fans are going to turn out every week to see it off.
I agree and I don’t think that the argument that it was ‘only Rotherham’ hold weight. They were doing eh same to teams last season, as you say, just not getting the finishing right. As long as Watkins and Maupay see the long term plan and don’t jump ship, they’re in a great position. Canos is being heavily linked to Boro as their Traore replacement but he really should stay put.

The Bees to be in the discussion for automatic promotion still come April.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: August 6, 2018, 12:28:03 pm »
it was Rotherham tho, they’ve got stoke away at the weekend I think which is a much better gauge

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #108 on: August 6, 2018, 01:45:59 pm »
I agree and I don’t think that the argument that it was ‘only Rotherham’ hold weight. They were doing eh same to teams last season, as you say, just not getting the finishing right. As long as Watkins and Maupay see the long term plan and don’t jump ship, they’re in a great position. Canos is being heavily linked to Boro as their Traore replacement but he really should stay put.

The Bees to be in the discussion for automatic promotion still come April.

Think an awful lot will hinge on the next 3/4 days for Brentford.

If they can hang on to Mepham, Woods, Canos and Watkins then I think they've got a very good chance of finishing in the play-offs.  It's not going to be easy for them though, a lot might depend on what potential replacements they have lined up for their possible outgoings over the next few days.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #109 on: August 6, 2018, 03:41:05 pm »

Brentford don't have the squad depth or the finances to mach the bigger clubs but as mentioned above they're a solid playoff bet. They were in even better fettle the season before last but they've ended up in 9th/10th the past 3 seasons. Love to see them kick on as they're my local club. And Canos is an ex-Red. Up the Bees!
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #110 on: August 6, 2018, 04:22:28 pm »

Brentford don't have the squad depth or the finances to mach the bigger clubs but as mentioned above they're a solid playoff bet. They were in even better fettle the season before last but they've ended up in 9th/10th the past 3 seasons. Love to see them kick on as they're my local club. And Canos is an ex-Red. Up the Bees!

They also couldn’t play at Griffin Park if they got promoted as they still have terracing at both ends. They are meant to be building a new stadium close by, linking up with London Irish rugby I think but assume that’s a few years away from happening.

Not sure they truly want promotion at this point, quite like to see them doing well but I wouldn’t be backing them to go up.

Definitely a selling club which makes their relative success in the last few years all the more impressive.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #111 on: August 6, 2018, 04:27:35 pm »
They also couldn’t play at Griffin Park if they got promoted as they still have terracing at both ends. They are meant to be building a new stadium close by, linking up with London Irish rugby I think but assume that’s a few years away from happening.  Not sure they truly want promotion at this point, quite like to see them doing well but I wouldn’t be backing them to go up.
Definitely a selling club which makes their relative success in the last few years all the more impressive.

Yeah very true! When's the new stadium supposed to be completed mate?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: August 6, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »
Come on Hull    :P

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #113 on: August 6, 2018, 07:53:06 pm »
Haha! Fuck you Fathead.

Great defending.
AHA!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: August 6, 2018, 07:54:22 pm »
Brilliant for that goal to go in exactly at the end of the minutes applause
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #115 on: August 6, 2018, 07:54:45 pm »
Yeah very true! When's the new stadium supposed to be completed mate?

Most recent thing I’ve found is they hope to move in in December 2019. Pretty sure building work hasn’t started yet though so it seems slightly ambitious.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 6, 2018, 07:54:47 pm »
state of Villa defense ;D

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: August 6, 2018, 07:55:42 pm »
Ohh dear    :D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #118 on: August 6, 2018, 07:56:37 pm »
Is Grealish playing or is he signing for Chelsea to keep the bench warm?

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #119 on: August 6, 2018, 07:59:31 pm »
80% luck, 10% skill, 5% concentrated power of will!