The Liverpool FC Forum > News and Current Affairs

UK General Election - Mordaunt, Mogg and Mad Liz all gone - STARMERGEDDON

<< < (2/2608) > >>

Circa1892:

--- Quote from: Wabaloolah on October 21, 2023, 12:03:58 am ---Personally I think this thread is a great idea, too much duplication in both the Labour and Tory threads and I think a General Election is a lot closer than people think

--- End quote ---

There’s a very slim possibility of May (logistics), but realistically we’re at least a year away.

The Tories, whilst they’re broken, still have a massive majority and they would obviously lose. There’s just zero incentive.

thaddeus:

--- Quote from: flemingcool on October 21, 2023, 10:22:47 pm ---They know they are toast.  Scorched earth now.  New long term private contracts for private companies running “public” services.  Sell off the last of the family silver.  They’ll drag it out to the end.

--- End quote ---
I agree.

We've already seen many Tory MPs announcing they're stepping down at the next election and I'm sure they're just the tip of the iceberg of Tories looking at their next career move.  They will look to feather their own nests, and lay as many traps and create as many restrictions for the next government as possible.

We might see a few "moonshot" policies - probably in the realm of culture wars nonsense - to win back some voters before the GE but they looked like a defeated party at their conference a few weeks ago.  The two by-elections results will hardly have been reinvigorating for them.

The sooner we have a GE the better but I agree with Circa1892 that the Tories have not motive to call an early election.

Commie Bobbie:

--- Quote from: thaddeus on October 21, 2023, 10:53:57 pm ---I agree.

We've already seen many Tory MPs announcing they're stepping down at the next election and I'm sure they're just the tip of the iceberg of Tories looking at their next career move.  They will look to feather their own nests, and lay as many traps and create as many restrictions for the next government as possible.

We might see a few "moonshot" policies - probably in the realm of culture wars nonsense - to win back some voters before the GE but they looked like a defeated party at their conference a few weeks ago.  The two by-elections results will hardly have been reinvigorating for them.

The sooner we have a GE the better but I agree with Circa1892 that the Tories have not motive to call an early election.

--- End quote ---

The only motive Sunak may have is if enough letters go into the 1922 - he may feel that he has no other instrument to use but call such an election.

Red Beret:

--- Quote from: Commie Bobbie on October 22, 2023, 07:55:32 pm ---The only motive Sunak may have is if enough letters go into the 1922 - he may feel that he has no other instrument to use but call such an election.

--- End quote ---

Well ultimately the letters are a confidence vote, just not one where the other parties get a say. At this point it might be the only leverage Sunak has.

ljycb:
Do the boats have any play in this for the Tories? Given that winter will probably see less boats crossing the channel, maybe the Tories will see that as something to hang their hat on and go to the polls in the spring before there is an uptake in channel crossings?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version