Author Topic: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC  (Read 93847 times)

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Caulker - Welcome to Liverpool FC
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2016, 02:11:28 pm »
he can't play against Exeter because he was not signed before the tie, if we progress he can play against West Ham

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2016, 02:11:56 pm »
Franz is getting old how about this up and coming lad called Franco Baresi?

If you're good enough, you're old enough. That's the Liverpool way.

Baresi would be good but would he really suit our style? Klopp wants more than a a bit of fancy footwork after all.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2016, 02:14:04 pm »
Will make fewer than 5 appearances for us unless he does really well indeed.  Even then I doubt he'd break that mark.

Kolo has looked knackered this season fitness wise, very possible he takes his game time if he looks up for it, and we're in 4 comps. Decent chance he'll clock in for a few games unless he really is dreadful I reckon. The fact he's young might make Klopp think he can get something out of him. Maybe he can.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2016, 02:14:19 pm »
this came from nowhere...

you can see the sense in it, mainly because with Sakho and Toure coming back and Lovren on the way back, if they were to be thrown in straight away, well who knows what would happen, they could easily injure themselves again... why take the risk...

getting Steven Caulker in has been quick and simple and he's been registered in time for the Arsenal game tomorrow.. makes absolute sense.

Welcome lad and hopefully you can kick start your career with us.

Offline ranimi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2016, 02:14:55 pm »
Anyone who has seen a good amount of his games care to expand on his good and bad points ?

I would if i had seen him play more than a couple of times. From what i remember a few seasons ago he was highly rated and had been linked with us back then too.

;D 

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2016, 02:15:40 pm »
he can't play against Exeter because he was not signed before the tie, if we progress he can play against West Ham

That's a shame but a fair rule I suppose.
@paulair

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2016, 02:15:52 pm »
Yes. So why couldn't we do the same with Can or Lucas, or even Enrique?

What I liked about their approach last season, was they tried the options they had. They got some answers from that, while they also showed some faith in their options. The results may not have been what they wanted, but they sent the right signals. We on the other hand are anxious how we'd cope without a new signing.

Do we need another game to see that Enrique is finished as a footballer? Do we need to throw Lucas at CB against Arsenal and United to know that he's not a long term option there? Do we waste a CM in Can by pushing him back into CB against two teams we need to beat? No is the answer for all 3 questions. If we had a couple of CBs in the U21s who could cover then we would use them. We've just used a team of them in the FA Cup (kids not CBs) and how many of our U21 CBs got on the pitch? None. I think that shows that we have nothing there to use and bringing Caulker in, someone who has played in the league before, is good business (as cover)

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2016, 02:15:54 pm »
Such as?

I could list a hundred plus players at this point as there's that many out there better than Caulker.

Our first choice centre halves aren't good enough, we need more than a stop gap, we need a new first choice centre half with those out injured now becoming the back ups. The worrying thing for me is that Klopp has not been allowed to spend money on someone he wants who could address this problem in his first transfer window.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2016, 02:16:47 pm »
He's the equivalent of an emergency loan signing

Just treat like we did when we got Paul Jones in

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2016, 02:17:02 pm »
Don't mind this signing to be honest, been sorted nice and quick and gives the manager a chance to look at other players.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2016, 02:17:14 pm »
Yes. So why couldn't we do the same with Can or Lucas, or even Enrique?

Because we've tried them and Klopp doesn't think it's suitable to carry on doing it?

The results may not have been what they wanted, but they sent the right signals. We on the other hand are anxious how we'd cope without a new signing.

Well there is your answer. It's clearly the manager who wants someone in, so I'll trust his judgement on it.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2016, 02:17:36 pm »
I could list a hundred plus players at this point as there's that many out there better than Caulker.

Our first choice centre halves aren't good enough, we need more than a stop gap, we need a new first choice centre half with those out injured now becoming the back ups. The worrying thing for me is that Klopp has not been allowed to spend money on someone he wants who could address this problem in his first transfer window.

Again such as who? You're wanting top class centre backs in January for fuck sakes.  :butt

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2016, 02:18:09 pm »

Who is good enough that would be allowed to leave his current club this January? Utterly ridiculous moaning about nothing.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2016, 02:19:09 pm »

Have you considered that the long term solution that we would like to purchase may not be available in this window?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2016, 02:20:03 pm »
Again such as who? You're wanting top class centre backs in January for fuck sakes.  :butt

Oh for Daniel Agger - didn't Sammy sign in the January ?

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2016, 02:20:25 pm »

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2016, 02:21:01 pm »
Just stay healthy and it will be a good loan deal.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2016, 02:21:37 pm »
Suffered from Micah Richards syndrome thus far, massively promising after a brilliant start as a youngster, before suffering a string of embarrassing displays which leave him forever on the cusp of being a good footballer, without ever actually being one.

When he was at Swansea I was certain he'd go back to Spurs, be brilliant and be anchoring Chelsea or Man Utd's defence by now. There's talent there, refocusing it is another matter. Odd one all round.

He'll never get an opportunity like this again.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2016, 02:22:08 pm »

Opinion masquerading as fact?

We have no idea who the manager wanted. He's got Skrtel, he's got Sakho, he's got Lovren, he's got Toure. All injured. We're strongly linked with Matip, who can sign on a free in the summer. So I dont think its a stretch to think he just wanted someone half competent to cover our current injury crisis and then he can solve the issue in the summer.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »
Steven Caulker - King of the Kop

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2016, 02:23:03 pm »
I was hoping for Phil Jones, but Caulker will do.. Welcome :)

;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2016, 02:23:59 pm »
Oh for Daniel Agger - didn't Sammy sign in the January ?

When Sami joined us he wasn't at that level he became one. Agger was a talent at that point.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2016, 02:24:06 pm »
He's the equivalent of an emergency loan signing

Just treat like we did when we got Paul Jones in

This.

Everyone needs to chill. It is what it is, he may get used once or he may perform great and utilised in more games if needed. Either way it puts Klopps mind at ease that more options are available if needed, just like it did bringing Ward back.

Try to grasp these simple facts.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2016, 02:24:14 pm »
Depth signing. Nothing else. And judging how often our CB's get injured he'll probably play a few games. There are plenty of games anyway. Ilori has hardly kicked a ball in the last 6 months so I agree that you need someone who's been playing at least. We could have used Can or Lucas there but it's obvious Klopp sees them as more important in midfield.

We were never going to sign Subotic or anyone like that in January. If he doesn't work out then he's gone end of season anyway.
YWNA

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2016, 02:24:15 pm »
Kloppo came out and said Mama was almost fit and Lovren was close.  Kolo is fit.  Skrtel is back the beginning of Feb all being well.  So we'll have 5 CB's for 2 posiitons given that it's not a position where rotation is desireable. Is Caulker better than any of them?  Kolo...........maybe.

Why do you think we got Caulker on loan? Do you honestly believed it's to replace Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren or even Gomez when they're back?

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2016, 02:27:04 pm »
I really wish you'd left the bolded bit out, just to witness the absolute shit-storm that would have ensured!  ;D

The Swansea locals would have been furious!
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2016, 02:29:07 pm »
Brendan must be fuming.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2016, 02:31:10 pm »
Any idea of loan fee?

It's desperation lets not kid ourselves, but we did need someone. Shame it isn't a long term solution.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2016, 02:33:29 pm »
When Sami joined us he wasn't at that level he became one. Agger was a talent at that point.

Not sure I agree with you about Sami,  the point was we do from time to time get gems in January

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2016, 02:34:13 pm »

If we progress then - if we don't stick with the kids - I am hoping that both Lovren and Sakho are fit to play by then

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2016, 02:34:15 pm »
Do we need another game to see that Enrique is finished as a footballer? Do we need to throw Lucas at CB against Arsenal and United to know that he's not a long term option there? Do we waste a CM in Can by pushing him back into CB against two teams we need to beat? No is the answer for all 3 questions. If we had a couple of CBs in the U21s who could cover then we would use them. We've just used a team of them in the FA Cup (kids not CBs) and how many of our U21 CBs got on the pitch? None. I think that shows that we have nothing there to use and bringing Caulker in, someone who has played in the league before, is good business (as cover)

We know that neither Lucas nor Enrique are long term options at CB. We're talking short term solutions. Emergency solutions even.

As I understand it, we have senior CBs coming back from injury soon. So we're talking a couple of games and then we're back to normal. It's unfortunate that we play United and Arsenal, but that's how it is.

I want us to move away from this idea that it's OK to sign players, train them in top class facilities under top class coaches, pay them a lot of money and then don't expect much from. We need to set the standards high and we need to expect players to cope, even when it gets difficult. Or, ro re-phrase it, in particular when it gets difficult. The way I see it, that was what United did with McNair, Blackett and even Carrick at CB and it's something we don't do now. We want to protect ourselves against every possible situation.

It's got little to do with Caulker and everything to do with how we operate in general.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2016, 02:35:45 pm »
Not sure I agree with you about Sami,  the point was we do from time to time get gems in January

Yeah i can see you're point mate but the guy i was responding to was hoping for some big time defender it seems.  Which top class defender (ready made) is available in January?

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2016, 02:37:11 pm »
Yeah i can see you're point mate but the guy i was responding to was hoping for some big time defender it seems.  Which top class defender (ready made) is available in January?

This January - Nah non at all. That is why this, in my view, is a shrewd bit of business

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2016, 02:37:22 pm »
Still don't understand what in the living fuck Aspas was doing there

Thank you for reminding me of the sheer horror of those moments

Can't decide which one is worse.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2016, 02:37:45 pm »
Some of you in here doesn't even attempt to think before posting..

Anyhoots, welcome Steven lad!
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »

Please can you do this? 100 players, better than Caulker, and available now...
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2016, 02:39:53 pm »

Klopp will have been allowed to identify his centre back targets. The club almost certainly know who they are going to sign in the Summer. But that calibre of player is key for their current club and are probably simply not available. Champions League clubs do not sell key players in January often. Given that there is plan for the summer, and the long term, we need cover for the rest of the season whilst the injuries abate. Players available on loan, especially ones available quickly enough for our immediate needs - 2 of our toughest home games, are not eactly common. We are signing an emergency loan, exactly so Klopp can get his favoured players.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2016, 02:40:19 pm »

Go for it, list the 100 players that are better than Caulker ,willing to come to Liverpool on a short term loan deal and possibly only play between 3-8 games for the rest of the season.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2016, 02:40:40 pm »
So we're getting Caulker because there's no value for money in January and have to over spend to get the players we want in?

Hang on don't we do that every summer anyway  ;D
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2016, 02:41:33 pm »
Welcome, Steven! Hope you seize the opportunity!

If he contributes at all it'll have been worth it, and surely better than a panic buy eating into our budget. I'd rather give a player like Caulker with something to prove a chance as cover and let Klopp properly assess and pursue whoever his his prime targets might be in the summer.