Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282311 times)

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #3360 on: March 18, 2023, 10:00:51 pm »
Thanks! Ok i'll work on the flight ones and post them a bit later, gonna head to do some shopping then i'll edit them when I get back. The second hawk was perfectly perched for photos, like he knew I was coming ;D

Thanks, I'll look forward to seeing them tomorrow.  :)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3361 on: March 18, 2023, 11:33:58 pm »
Thanks, I'll look forward to seeing them tomorrow.  :)

Here are the flight ones.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3362 on: March 19, 2023, 09:22:45 am »
top photos again chakan mate - great exposures too  :wave

a tip for 'flight' photos - if using manual then try and focus 'in front' of the bird as 'chasing it' will always be harder - and always aim to have the eye in focus if possible

if using dynamic/ auto/ servo or other forms of focussing then you still have to get 'ahead' of the bird - and use continuous shooting and the fastest shutter speed you can muster for the light

99/100 shots are always going to 'miss' but the one you nail will make it all worth it

when you're watching a bird sitting nicely then expect it to suddenly get up and fly and be ready for that - you've got to think like that bird - but don't start covering yourself in feathers and sit in a nest  ;D

if i'm telling you  how to suck eggs then please ignore mate  :wave
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3363 on: March 19, 2023, 09:27:30 am »
Birds suck eggs? :o

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3364 on: March 19, 2023, 11:03:21 am »
Amazing photos Chakan. It always leaves me stunned how hawks can fly through such small places especially when you consider the speed they fly at, their agility is incredible. Thanks for putting them up.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3365 on: March 19, 2023, 11:16:07 am »
Thank Liver ;D I'll give that all a try if I manage to get out today. Honestly I was just trying to get a really close up shot of his face when it hopped around then took flight. I was hoping to get closer to it as it landed in a tree that was like 5 meters from the bridge I was on. So it was pick up backpack, walk slowly to the bird, try inch closer, get a shot here and there and then if was off again so didn't really have time to react. But happy with the shots I got of it sitting and fluffing itself. The flight shots are always the hardest to get, they either take too long to take flight or they do it right away, birds should come with a timer above their heads to indicate when they're about to take off ;D

Yeah Hawks are amazing birds, they zip around when they want or just glide on the air currents. I absolutely love watching them and taking photographs of them.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3366 on: March 19, 2023, 11:24:12 am »
Thank Liver ;D I'll give that all a try if I manage to get out today. Honestly I was just trying to get a really close up shot of his face when it hopped around then took flight. I was hoping to get closer to it as it landed in a tree that was like 5 meters from the bridge I was on. So it was pick up backpack, walk slowly to the bird, try inch closer, get a shot here and there and then if was off again so didn't really have time to react. But happy with the shots I got of it sitting and fluffing itself. The flight shots are always the hardest to get, they either take too long to take flight or they do it right away, birds should come with a timer above their heads to indicate when they're about to take off ;D

Yeah Hawks are amazing birds, they zip around when they want or just glide on the air currents. I absolutely love watching them and taking photographs of them.

Out of interest what camera do you use? Your pictures are always so clear.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3367 on: March 19, 2023, 11:34:31 am »
Out of interest what camera do you use? Your pictures are always so clear.

I use the Sony A7IV, which I bought around November I think. So still getting used to all the settings. I had an old Nikon D5200 before, so it's quite the upgrade from what I had.

The lenses I usually use are

Tamron 70-300mm for Sony E-Mount (I usually walk around with this on the camera) and the Sigma 150-600mm which is the telescopic lens, it weighs a ton though.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3368 on: March 19, 2023, 11:40:22 am »
Here's the close up I was working on.

Seems to have focused just under the eye onto the shoulder, which is a bummer as I do have eye tracking enabled.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 11:42:24 am by Chakan »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3369 on: March 19, 2023, 11:46:54 am »
I use the Sony A7IV, which I bought around November I think. So still getting used to all the settings. I had an old Nikon D5200 before, so it's quite the upgrade from what I had.

The lenses I usually use are

Tamron 70-300mm for Sony E-Mount (I usually walk around with this on the camera) and the Sigma 150-600mm which is the telescopic lens, it weighs a ton though.

Thanks Chakan. I'm thinking of getting one myself but have no idea which one as there seems such a choice.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3370 on: March 19, 2023, 11:48:14 am »

Seems to have focused just under the eye onto the shoulder, which is a bummer as I do have eye tracking enabled.

Wow, he is one big papa. The beak on him.  :D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3371 on: March 19, 2023, 11:58:43 am »
Thanks Chakan. I'm thinking of getting one myself but have no idea which one as there seems such a choice.

It really depends on budget and I will say the lenses you buy are a bit more important than the actual camera. Also I bought something that I really wouldn't have to upgrade for about 10 years or so. There's a ton of new stuff being released every month for cameras. It's an absolute minefield of equipment that you can get.

Liverbloke could probably give you a ton of advice on this. For me, I just looked at what was fairly new, what I wanted to do with the camera and what was within my budget. The Sony A7IV came out tops on pretty every category for me, and what really sold it for me (apart from Canon) was that Sony allows 3rd party lenses. So instead of paying $2000 for a lens I could get a Sigma or Tamron for 65%/70% of the price.

Whereas Canon really don't allow that, you have to use Canon glass unless you use a converter which I didn't want to get.

Sony make a telephoto zoom lens

Sony FE 200-600mm - it's $2000 the Sigma lens I use kinda has the same specs 200m-600m it's $1400

I watched a video comparing all of them, of course the Sony came out best, but the reviewer and a few others have stated the Sigma is almost identical, it's not worth spending the extra $600/$700 on it.

So saving me money there.

Canon I can't even find a telephoto lens in that range.

The A7IV is a hybrid camera as well so if you want to do video it handles that great! It something I haven't played with yet, which my wife constantly reminds me I need to start videoing the birds and animals.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 12:01:55 pm by Chakan »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3372 on: March 19, 2023, 12:15:37 pm »
Thanks Chakan. I will take your advice I'm only at the stage where I'm looking at the moment. It doesn't surprise me you settled for Sony they have a fantastic range of goods available and as you say they make it easy, to add to the overall package. I like the look at some of the canon cameras. To be honest I'm only looking for something that is practical and light as I don't want to have to carry huge amounts of stuff around with me. I think I will start of small and simple and then just see if I decide to upgrade later on. There is such a fantastic range out there, I'm taking my time to make sure I get the right one.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3373 on: March 19, 2023, 12:18:46 pm »
I've had a lovely mother's day morning sat at the patio doors watching all the birds coming into the garden. 

We've even had a red kite gliding round at low levels.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3374 on: March 19, 2023, 12:27:10 pm »
Thanks Chakan. I will take your advice I'm only at the stage where I'm looking at the moment. It doesn't surprise me you settled for Sony they have a fantastic range of goods available and as you say they make it easy, to add to the overall package. I like the look at some of the canon cameras. To be honest I'm only looking for something that is practical and light as I don't want to have to carry huge amounts of stuff around with me. I think I will start of small and simple and then just see if I decide to upgrade later on. There is such a fantastic range out there, I'm taking my time to make sure I get the right one.

Perfect :thumbup

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3375 on: March 19, 2023, 12:31:19 pm »
I've had a lovely mother's day morning sat at the patio doors watching all the birds coming into the garden. 

We've even had a red kite gliding round at low levels.

Wow, Red Kite especially for Debs. Happy Mothers Days.  :wave

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3376 on: March 19, 2023, 02:24:17 pm »
Wow, Red Kite especially for Debs. Happy Mothers Days.  :wave

Thanks Jill 😁

The red kites are a recent arrival but now they're here we see them regularly.  There was a pair out yesterday on our way back from the beach and I've just seen another one.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3377 on: March 19, 2023, 02:35:37 pm »

chakan's given a lot of good advice already

if you want to do bird photography then you really want to get close up to your subjects so i would say to start off with a compact zoom and then if you want to move up then get a zoom 'bridge' camera and then move up to a full dslr with lenses etc etc

this way if you find it's not for you then you haven't spent loads of money on wasted gear

the choice of cameras and lenses out their is overwhelming but technology is soooooo good these days that you can't really go wrong (a canon user will always prefer canon, a nikon user will always prefer nikon etc)

but always buy at the top end of your budget and go from there

there is so much to learn about photography and camera settings that it scares a lot of people off - but i advise people to start on easy mode/auto mode and go from there

to me, bird/wildlife photography is the hardest because your subjects will (usually) be moving or be unpredictable - it can be very frustrating

so step into this world cautiously and don't rush into buying gear that you don't need - as i've said, start with a good compact zoom if you just want to dabble to begin with

here's 4 taken with the same compact zoom - the last one taken through a back window

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3378 on: March 19, 2023, 02:40:23 pm »

cracking mate - just don't expect the settings to have it right all the time - use your own instincts too

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3379 on: March 19, 2023, 03:24:29 pm »
Just out walking the dog and there’s 2 hawks flying from tree to tree playing around. One was looking at my yorkie too much!

@Liverbloke will just check my settings as well and see what I had it on. Make sure I didn’t screw something before I left.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3380 on: March 19, 2023, 04:16:12 pm »
chakan's given a lot of good advice already

if you want to do bird photography then you really want to get close up to your subjects so i would say to start off with a compact zoom and then if you want to move up then get a zoom 'bridge' camera and then move up to a full dslr with lenses etc etc

this way if you find it's not for you then you haven't spent loads of money on wasted gear

the choice of cameras and lenses out their is overwhelming but technology is soooooo good these days that you can't really go wrong (a canon user will always prefer canon, a nikon user will always prefer nikon etc)

but always buy at the top end of your budget and go from there

there is so much to learn about photography and camera settings that it scares a lot of people off - but i advise people to start on easy mode/auto mode and go from there

to me, bird/wildlife photography is the hardest because your subjects will (usually) be moving or be unpredictable - it can be very frustrating

so step into this world cautiously and don't rush into buying gear that you don't need - as i've said, start with a good compact zoom if you just want to dabble to begin with

here's 4 taken with the same compact zoom - the last one taken through a back window

Great pictures once again and thanks for all the solid advice, will certainly follow it.  :)

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3381 on: March 19, 2023, 07:51:00 pm »
Jill wait till you see tonight's Wild Isles 😯

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3382 on: March 19, 2023, 08:20:39 pm »
Not much happening on the walk today, was pretty quiet.

Did get some cute shots of a Eastern Blue Bird, Downy Woodpecker and Mallard.

Eastern Blue bird

Downy Woodpecker

Mallard

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3383 on: March 20, 2023, 05:01:31 pm »
nice them mate - if you use single point spot focussing then make sure you aim it at the eye or head

the thing about these focus points is that they can be accidentally moved or they track the wrong focal point - the second photo of the close up of the bird has it's front leg in focus and because the depth of field is narrow then the eye and beak just slightly miss out

the same with the woodpecker (look at those claws!) in the 4th shot - it seems to have focussed on the tree just missing the bird

if you're not using single focus points then the camera will 'hunt' for something to focus on and this can result in the camera using whatever is in the scene to focus on be that a tree, a leaf or something else

you know me mate - these aren't criticisms but just things to tighten up on as i know you are interested in improving all the time  :wave

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3384 on: March 20, 2023, 05:35:12 pm »
Jill wait till you see tonight's Wild Isles 😯

I am going to watch it now. I forgot to watch it last night.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3385 on: March 20, 2023, 05:42:27 pm »
Footage on a local Facebook group of a pair of nesting peregrine falcons with an egg. Quite cool. Never seen them flying around but will keep an eye out now.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3386 on: March 20, 2023, 05:52:11 pm »
No worries @Liverbloke all good. Constructive advice is always welcome.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3387 on: March 21, 2023, 02:01:58 pm »
Seagulls are Tory bastards.

Every time I throw out left over food, they always swoop to steal the lot of it and the pigeons get fuck all.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3388 on: March 21, 2023, 03:53:52 pm »
Not much happening on the walk today, was pretty quiet.

Did get some cute shots of a Eastern Blue Bird, Downy Woodpecker and Mallard.

Eastern Blue bird

Love the eastern bluebird, the state bird of New York - and in the 11 years I’ve lived here, I’ve seen it twice!

Always wondered why they didn’t pick a bird that is about a bit more  :P

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3389 on: March 21, 2023, 03:55:53 pm »
Love the eastern bluebird, the state bird of New York - and in the 11 years I’ve lived here, I’ve seen it twice!

Always wondered why they didn’t pick a bird that is about a bit more  :P

Yeah bit odd really, we get a ton here down south.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3390 on: March 26, 2023, 07:09:58 pm »
Anyone watching Wild Isles? Those boxing Hares where amazing. That was some episode, loved seeing all the Eagles and the Hen Harriers. I remember when I went to the Cairngorns seeing two Hen Harriers do their sky dance, I must have spent two hours watching them on this crisp spring day. The filming afterwards was amazing, especially seeing the conditions. Has anyone been to the Outer Hebrides, it seems to be full of wild life.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 08:09:37 pm by jillc »

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3391 on: March 26, 2023, 09:24:54 pm »
Has anyone been to the Outer Hebrides, it seems to be full of wild life.

Went with cadets as a kid, absolutely stunning, spent a week kayaking and cycling round. One night we picked our own mussels from the bay and cooked them for tea.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3392 on: March 26, 2023, 09:41:22 pm »
Went with cadets as a kid, absolutely stunning, spent a week kayaking and cycling round. One night we picked our own mussels from the bay and cooked them for tea.

Sounds like paradise.  :)

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3393 on: March 26, 2023, 10:44:02 pm »
Went back up far north to see my mum and dad, we had four redwings in the garden last week.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 10:46:04 pm by mattD »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3394 on: March 27, 2023, 03:40:07 pm »
Very cute MattD, closely resembles an Eastern Robin here!!

So I didn't manage to get out this weekend, because the weather people got their days screwed up, was supposed to rain on Saturday and be bright sunshine on Sunday. Much to my surprise come Saturday brilliant sunshine and Sunday rainy as all hell.

Anyway working this morning and this lands right on the branch outside my window. He was hopping around trying to avoid the other birds and then flew off in a matter of about 3-4 minutes, so only had time to get the camera out and the lens on and snap a few shots before he was gone.

Red-Shouldered Hawk

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 03:41:39 pm by Chakan »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3395 on: March 27, 2023, 04:52:18 pm »
Beautiful pictures guys as ever. Love Redwings, it's been a beautiful day for walking today, went up on the gorse hills plenty of calling going on around there I am sure I heard a chiffchaff.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3396 on: March 29, 2023, 03:31:38 pm »
Very cute MattD, closely resembles an Eastern Robin here!!

So I didn't manage to get out this weekend, because the weather people got their days screwed up, was supposed to rain on Saturday and be bright sunshine on Sunday. Much to my surprise come Saturday brilliant sunshine and Sunday rainy as all hell.

Anyway working this morning and this lands right on the branch outside my window. He was hopping around trying to avoid the other birds and then flew off in a matter of about 3-4 minutes, so only had time to get the camera out and the lens on and snap a few shots before he was gone.

nice them mate - now you got your eyesight sorted you muppet  :wave

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3397 on: March 29, 2023, 03:34:24 pm »
nice them mate - now you got your eyesight sorted you muppet  :wave

Haha yeah I went to get my eyes checked anyway, and still 20/20 in both eyes long sight, but near sight is definitely fading over time, which is expected they said. Least I can see what i'm shooting now ;D

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3398 on: March 29, 2023, 04:14:11 pm »
This thread continues to excel. Some stunning photos and valuable info. Thanks to all.

I was in Arkengarthdale last week (top of the Yorkshire Dales running north-south off Swaledale, pretty wild and remote). The moors on top were thick with Lapwings showing off. Just amazing to watch. Loads of grouse up there too, as you'd expect, and little groups of oystercatchers too (which was more of a surprise to me).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3399 on: March 29, 2023, 06:43:35 pm »
This thread continues to excel. Some stunning photos and valuable info. Thanks to all.

I was in Arkengarthdale last week (top of the Yorkshire Dales running north-south off Swaledale, pretty wild and remote). The moors on top were thick with Lapwings showing off. Just amazing to watch. Loads of grouse up there too, as you'd expect, and little groups of oystercatchers too (which was more of a surprise to me).

I bet you didn't see many birds of prey on those grouse moors though Yorkie. Another Red Kite got shot by a Scottish estate yesterday, another protected species blown out of the skies for no reason. I have taken over ToonMick's old thread, if anyone is interested in the battle with the shooting estates for the futures of many birds of prey in those areas.

I love Lapwings, it is great you saw those they are beautiful birds.

If anyone wants to follow the latest stuff on campaign to get greater protection for our birds of prey, I will be putting them on here. Thanks everyone.  :)

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?