Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 80869 times)

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
Re: MLS Thread
« Reply #520 on: September 16, 2018, 04:26:21 am »
Toronto beat LA 5-3 tonight, Ibra scored a classic.  https://youtu.be/UEPksMYfDF0   Great game one of the best ive seen in MLS.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #521 on: September 16, 2018, 08:31:40 pm »
That ibra goal,  :lickin

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #522 on: September 17, 2018, 12:59:02 am »
Seattle unbeaten in their last 12 games and have won 9 on the bounce. Absolute bonkers when you look at their form during the first 15 games of the season.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #523 on: October 6, 2018, 09:34:58 pm »
Atlanta playing New England, goal from 16 year-old local player, George Bello.

Also, hot rumor from the Univision crew that Miguel Almiron will sign for Arsenal for 16 million dollars in the winter window.

Not sure he will be up for the physical nature of the Premiership, but Crissakes, Miggy can fly. Fast as lightning...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Destiny

• Main Stander
« Reply #524 on: October 7, 2018, 08:02:25 am »
MLS is a retirement home but if there are two players who for me could do a job in a top European league then it is Almiron and Joesf Martinez.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #525 on: October 24, 2018, 12:24:23 pm »
Tata is leaving, announced yesterday. Rumored replacement will be Guillermo Barros Schelotto from Boca, who played in MLS at Columbus.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #526 on: November 2, 2018, 04:18:59 am »

"Rooney has also been known to deceive goalkeepers by finessing shots across the goal line" :lmao

Wow, flashback of young Rooney there. It's been what, 6 years since he did something good. Fair play!

DC out! Rooney misses his pen in the shootout.

LAFC 2 v RSL 1 currently in the 56'.

Timbers defeat FCD while down a man for the most of the second half.    8)

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #527 on: December 1, 2018, 04:54:15 am »

if there are two players who for me could do a job in a top European league then it is Almiron and Joesf Martinez.

Bring them on.

December 8th. 5th in the conference, has not been an obstacle, marching on.

Beyond excited while still bricking it at the same time, if you know what I mean. To go from "ex-NASL" when the subject is brought up, to being able to brandish two stars over the crest and having it recognized.

All of the goals against the run of play, with Blanco's a clear peach.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AMoEn1rXYs8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AMoEn1rXYs8</a>

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #528 on: December 1, 2018, 04:59:31 am »

Valeri gets a huge amount of plaudits, deservedly, while I honestly believe Chara is undervalued and an incredible pivot point interchanging.

BUZZING still!

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #529 on: December 1, 2018, 01:32:02 pm »
Will be fun for you lot playing against Nagbe, as well...

Managed to draw in Atlanta earlier this year, if I remember.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: December 2, 2018, 06:52:32 pm »
United States hires Gregg Berhalter as their manager, didn't see that coming as i thought they would go for a foreign coach.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #531 on: December 3, 2018, 12:56:51 am »
United States hires Gregg Berhalter as their manager, didn't see that coming as i thought they would go for a foreign coach.

USSF wanted an English speaker, hence not even interviewing Tata Martino, who went from Atlanta to Mexico...

Our federation is genuinely worse and stupider than the FA...

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: December 7, 2018, 09:27:25 pm »
Bring them on.

December 8th. 5th in the conference, has not been an obstacle, marching on.

Beyond excited while still bricking it at the same time, if you know what I mean. To go from "ex-NASL" when the subject is brought up, to being able to brandish two stars over the crest and having it recognized.

All of the goals against the run of play, with Blanco's a clear peach.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AMoEn1rXYs8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AMoEn1rXYs8</a>

Come on you Timbers! - Buggy check out my mate's pub, The Toffee club,  - if you're anywhere near East Portland tomorrow
(they borrowed the Mondrian flag off the Timbers Army)

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #533 on: December 8, 2018, 02:19:16 am »
Atlanta playing New England, goal from 16 year-old local player, George Bello.

Also, hot rumor from the Univision crew that Miguel Almiron will sign for Arsenal for 16 million dollars in the winter window.
A price in that ballpark, Atlanta are gettin robbed.

Heard on a few pods 25 mill to newcastle but with Ashley's chequebook i'd take that with a pinch of salt  ;D
YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #534 on: December 8, 2018, 03:52:48 am »
A price in that ballpark, Atlanta are gettin robbed.

Heard on a few pods 25 mill to newcastle but with Ashley's chequebook i'd take that with a pinch of salt  ;D

Hope he goes to Newcastle for a number of reasons, playing for Rafa and getting playing time being two of the most important ones...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: December 8, 2018, 11:06:28 pm »
Hope Atlanta win.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #536 on: December 8, 2018, 11:07:32 pm »
Josef Martinez deserves a trophy, insane season he's had.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #537 on: December 9, 2018, 12:28:31 am »
Come on Timbers!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #538 on: December 9, 2018, 12:29:31 am »
Come on Timbers!

Hope Darlington scores the winner...

Then we hire Caleb to replace Tata... ;D

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #539 on: December 9, 2018, 06:27:19 pm »
Congrats to Atlanta, brilliant achievement.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #540 on: December 11, 2018, 07:21:20 am »

Come on you Timbers! - Buggy check out my mate's pub, The Toffee club,  - if you're anywhere near East Portland tomorrow
(they borrowed the Mondrian flag off the Timbers Army)

Just seen this as I am home now.   

Road trips for a final can always end in misery, it did this time, while saying that I see so many other positive signs. 5th seeded and made it back into the top two echelon teams at the end. Columbus was one of the inaugural teams and they still at this point have only reached two finals with one star. Another inaugural team has made five appearances without a single victory. I still drink the Savarese kool-aid.

I enjoyed some nightlife in ATL, but have to say if you enjoy landscapes make the trek out to Tybee Island. Have to commend their supporters, at no point was there any over the top behavior for walking around in our colors, plus we all had a few pints purchased for us. Top notch atmosphere! Congratulations to Atlanta and Tata. Actually, wishing he was not departing because I thought his presence would of provided a building block for the league.

Rose City 'til I Die!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #541 on: December 23, 2018, 07:03:40 pm »
Atlanta United name Frank de Boer as their new head coach.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46667338

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #542 on: December 23, 2018, 07:15:26 pm »
Atlanta United name Frank de Boer as their new head coach.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46667338

Fucking left field, that...

Not so sure it's a good appointment, De Boer is a good coach in the Eredivisie, and might well have been a good one in the Premier League if given more time.

MLS has so many quirky rules and differences from other leagues that I wonder if he'llbe willing to sort it all out.

Tata did just fine, so it can be done by coaches from outside the country. But if DeBoer thinks he can get players to play like Ajax in MLS...

Still, better than Moyes, who was rumored to be in the frame at one point...

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #543 on: December 27, 2018, 12:35:23 am »

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #544 on: December 27, 2018, 12:48:24 am »
MLS coaching legend Sigi Schmid has passed away   

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/12/26/sigi-schmid-all-time-winningest-mls-head-coach-passes-away-65

Sad thing, never a big fan of the style of soccer Sigi's teams played, but he was an MLS guy, open, bright, good interview, not pretentious or pompous, successful coaching career with different clubs...

The Sig will be missed...

Online Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #545 on: March 3, 2019, 02:54:49 pm »
Alright before you lot (i.e european, english, scouse, whatever) start coming in this thread to make a mockery of this league and myself just know that I already know all things you will try to tell me about this league. I know how poor the quality is and how its a 3rd rate league, so don' t bother with that.

I just wanna say that I started watching football 3 years ago after my cousin who is a die hard liverpool fan taught me about this game. So i started watching the EPL and the MLS first because i grew fond of Liverpool F.C. and now absolutely love them and second becuse I am from teh D.C. area and wanted to support my local team D.C. United.

So i started watching the MLS a few years ago and it was tough. The football, well lets call it soccer because it didn't deserve the title of football, was atrocious. The frequent loss of possession the lack of talent and technical ability and basically poor tactis was very tough to watch but it happens in the summer and there is nothing else to watch so i stuck with it.

This year the league has started up again and i have watched more games as better players like claudio lopez and beckham and gallardo have entered the league. I must say that i didn't expect such a rapid improvement in football quality in this league. I was watching the galaxy the other night in their home opener and was actually impressed by the way they moved the ball around and kept possession while actually asking questions of the defense. Also United with a growing latin  and southern American contigent as also imporved their football remarkably as they move the ball around quite well and they constantly ask questions of the defense and they generally have good movement and quality on the ball.

So i wanted to ask the Americans on these boards about what they think about the league now and which team, if any, they support.

Me - D.C. United. We have great fans as well. I hope we get a new stadium because transferring those 20000 people into a stadium where they fill it up would make the atmosphere tremedous, am really impressed my the level of commitment shown by the fans.
Was searching for the 'LA Galaxy' thread and this one came up first, so started to read the 1st post, and based on it, had a question to all:

Is the standard of footy in the MLS easier to watch than the top level of Ladies footy at the mo?
(in terms of actual enjoyment and appreciation of the football on display.........please no crass comments from lads about how the Ladies game is better to watch for 'ogling' reasons)

Has the Ladies leagues ever been better to watch than the MLS? Etc.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #546 on: March 4, 2019, 10:57:44 pm »
Was searching for the 'LA Galaxy' thread and this one came up first, so started to read the 1st post, and based on it, had a question to all:

Is the standard of footy in the MLS easier to watch than the top level of Ladies footy at the mo?
(in terms of actual enjoyment and appreciation of the football on display.........please no crass comments from lads about how the Ladies game is better to watch for 'ogling' reasons)

Has the Ladies leagues ever been better to watch than the MLS? Etc.

Dude

The mls is probably getting pretty close to the Championship level now. Its been improving year over year for the last decade at least. Gone are the days where any washed up old fart can come over and be a star on a retirement contract. The league still lacks a general technical ability that would put it on a par with most top-flight European leagues, but it is very demanding physically, there are any number of very fast and very strong players on basically every team. I remember Ronaldo trying to run Marvell Wynne a few years ago in one of those all star games , he looked like Mbabbe did against Virgil. No chance. Wynne would be a good example, he is a very limited technical fullback but hes got Olympic sprinter speed and a very powerful physique. Tons of players like that all over the shop, and then some real gold sprinkled in here and there, each team is allowed up to 3 unlimited value "designated player" that dont count against the salary cap. Teams are starting now to bring in effective prime aged players with those contracts instead of buying washed up vets with big names. Also the youth ranks from North America are improving in leaps and bounds, year over year. Bayern just paid 25 million usd for an 18 year old Canadian kid Alfonso Davies who was on the bench against us two weeks ago. 

Your concept that its no better than ladys football or some kind of unwatchable dross is well off the mark.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: March 5, 2019, 04:36:36 am »
The NYCFC stadium situation is a farce. Seen matches there including LFC city preseason and it's not the same sport.  It is footy on a baseball field, unique to the world. That city group can just buy their way in with no plan is shitty, but that's really my only bugaboo with MLS these days. As you say they've mostly stopped with the sunset years of overpaid Name player contracts.  Young players like Adams moving over and flourishing, and last years MLS cup felt like a big event.  It feels less and less rinky dink. Now just need to do something in the champions league.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #548 on: March 5, 2019, 08:06:45 pm »
Dude

The mls is probably getting pretty close to the Championship level now. Its been improving year over year for the last decade at least. Gone are the days where any washed up old fart can come over and be a star on a retirement contract. The league still lacks a general technical ability that would put it on a par with most top-flight European leagues, but it is very demanding physically, there are any number of very fast and very strong players on basically every team. I remember Ronaldo trying to run Marvell Wynne a few years ago in one of those all star games , he looked like Mbabbe did against Virgil. No chance. Wynne would be a good example, he is a very limited technical fullback but hes got Olympic sprinter speed and a very powerful physique. Tons of players like that all over the shop, and then some real gold sprinkled in here and there, each team is allowed up to 3 unlimited value "designated player" that dont count against the salary cap. Teams are starting now to bring in effective prime aged players with those contracts instead of buying washed up vets with big names. Also the youth ranks from North America are improving in leaps and bounds, year over year. Bayern just paid 25 million usd for an 18 year old Canadian kid Alfonso Davies who was on the bench against us two weeks ago. 

Your concept that its no better than ladys football or some kind of unwatchable dross is well off the mark.
Thanks for your post.

I asked the question, because I did not know.
I've never watched MLS or Ladies Footy.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #549 on: March 6, 2019, 07:08:57 pm »
Thanks for your post.

I asked the question, because I did not know.
I've never watched MLS or Ladies Footy.

The ladies are savage  ;D  and they dont dive. Wouldnt dream of it. Theres been the odd belter at the Olympics/Worlds well worth watching.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: March 13, 2019, 06:38:59 pm »
LAFC have the best kit in the division.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #551 on: March 30, 2019, 11:56:32 am »
Check out this goal on debut last night, lad also scored a Panenka penalty, set up a goal after a mazy dribble and had a goal and an assist ruled out for offside. He got subbed out after that chip the place went mental.

https://youtu.be/S62rIJTJOSI

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #552 on: March 30, 2019, 11:58:48 am »
Check out this goal on debut last night, lad also scored a Panenka penalty, set up a goal after a mazy dribble and had a goal and an assist ruled out for offside. He got subbed out after that chip the place went mental.

https://youtu.be/S62rIJTJOSI

Atlanta haven't won a match yet...

Fucking DeBoer...

:D

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #553 on: April 13, 2019, 08:16:01 pm »
Watching San Jose at Houston on Deportes, where the fuck are the Dynamo ultras?

Empty orange seats all around...

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: June 27, 2019, 09:56:00 am »
Granny grabber still knows how to put his foot through a ball.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VfK9nHkfBTA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VfK9nHkfBTA</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2019, 01:50:31 pm »
He's had a great impact on DC's fortunes.  They were dead on arrival as a club when he showed up.

Now, WHERE is the Moyes shouting "WAYNE......WAYNE......WAYNE....(disgusted shake of head)" gif.......
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #556 on: August 28, 2020, 04:20:21 pm »
I hadn't realised FreeSports had got some of the rights to show live MLS matches on UK tv too (not just Sky)...

www.freesports.tv/lives.html : https://twitter.com/FreeSports_TV : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSports : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Major_League_Soccer_season

and that the MLS are now at 26 teams - with more teams to come...

Live MLS / American matches shown live on UK TV : www.live-footballontv.com/live-mls-football-on-tv.html

Live MLS / American matches shown live around the world : www.livesoccertv.com/competitions/united-states/major-league-soccer

A list of 60+ stream sites, and also match highlights & full game replay sites : www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.0

^ the 'Some useful info for following the football + TV, Streams, & Highlights etc' thread is updated once a month : 60+ stream sites for watching any football match.

For live scores, line-ups, fixtures & results, tables, in-game comms, and more... : www.flashscore.co.uk/football/usa

Wikipedia Page for the 2021/22 MLS Season : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Major_League_Soccer_season

www.mlssoccer.com : https://twitter.com/mls : www.youtube.com/c/mls/videos : www.ussoccer.com : https://twitter.com/ussoccer : www.reddit.com/r/MLS/new 

Wikipedia Page for the 2021 National Premier Soccer League season : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_National_Premier_Soccer_League_season

www.npsl.com : https://twitter.com/NPSLSoccer : www.youtube.com/c/NPSLSoccer/videos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Colorado Rapids forward Kei Kamara: Player-led protests are "for the human race"':-

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/08/28/colorado-rapids-forward-kei-kamara-player-led-protests-are-human-race

'#JusticeForJacob: Time for change, make your voice heard':-

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/08/26/justiceforjacob-time-change-make-your-voice-heard

« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 03:13:23 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #557 on: October 1, 2020, 03:38:05 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/01/san-diego-loyal-manager-landon-donovan-proud-walk-off-over-alleged-homophobic-abuse-collin-martin-phoenix-rising

This isn't MLS, it's USL (the lower-divisions league) but thought it was worth a mention.

EDIT: They were leading 3-1 at the half. A win would have put them in the playoff spots on goal differential
« Last Edit: October 1, 2020, 03:42:13 pm by NHRed »

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #558 on: October 1, 2020, 08:54:27 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/01/san-diego-loyal-manager-landon-donovan-proud-walk-off-over-alleged-homophobic-abuse-collin-martin-phoenix-rising

This isn't MLS, it's USL (the lower-divisions league) but thought it was worth a mention.

EDIT: They were leading 3-1 at the half. A win would have put them in the playoff spots on goal differential

Full disclosure here, I have known Rick Shantz (Phoenix Rising Head Coach) for a long time, we coached together in the youth system in Tucson.  That said, I am absolutely staggered by his initial response to the event, as our all of my other coaching colleagues who have a relationship with him.  Phoenix Rising FC and Rick need to do a whole lot of soul searching and take swift action as needed.

Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #559 on: October 5, 2021, 06:48:04 pm »

The L.A. derby ended with major handbags out on the concourse Sunday.    :-X