Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 80555 times)

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
MLS Thread
« on: April 8, 2008, 03:42:02 pm »
Alright before you lot (i.e european, english, scouse, whatever) start coming in this thread to make a mockery of this league and myself just know that I already know all things you will try to tell me about this league. I know how poor the quality is and how its a 3rd rate league, so don' t bother with that.

I just wanna say that I started watching football 3 years ago after my cousin who is a die hard liverpool fan taught me about this game. So i started watching the EPL and the MLS first because i grew fond of Liverpool F.C. and now absolutely love them and second becuse I am from teh D.C. area and wanted to support my local team D.C. United.

So i started watching the MLS a few years ago and it was tough. The football, well lets call it soccer because it didn't deserve the title of football, was atrocious. The frequent loss of possession the lack of talent and technical ability and basically poor tactis was very tough to watch but it happens in the summer and there is nothing else to watch so i stuck with it.

This year the league has started up again and i have watched more games as better players like claudio lopez and beckham and gallardo have entered the league. I must say that i didn't expect such a rapid improvement in football quality in this league. I was watching the galaxy the other night in their home opener and was actually impressed by the way they moved the ball around and kept possession while actually asking questions of the defense. Also United with a growing latin  and southern American contigent as also imporved their football remarkably as they move the ball around quite well and they constantly ask questions of the defense and they generally have good movement and quality on the ball.

So i wanted to ask the Americans on these boards about what they think about the league now and which team, if any, they support.

Me - D.C. United. We have great fans as well. I hope we get a new stadium because transferring those 20000 people into a stadium where they fill it up would make the atmosphere tremedous, am really impressed my the level of commitment shown by the fans.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
Re: MLS Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2008, 04:24:08 pm »
Follow toronto's fortunes in the MLS. Like you say the quality aint great but footy is footy

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2008, 04:29:10 pm »
Follow toronto's fortunes in the MLS. Like you say the quality aint great but footy is footy

Exactly. However you have to admit it has been getting better. Its actually starting to resemble football.

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #3 on: April 8, 2008, 04:36:18 pm »
fuck off with your fucking american shit.

nice and tolerant. A real credit to your country Conde.  :wave
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2008, 04:46:46 pm »
What a fuckin' stiff.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 8, 2008, 05:07:33 pm »

Well thank you for dropping by and demonstarting how cuntish and xenophobic you can be. I am saddened to know people like you still exist in this world.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #6 on: April 8, 2008, 05:56:51 pm »
I think a lot of English people might end up supporting Toronto simply because they're not American.

Concerning teams, I feel some sort of affinity to the Revs (because of Nicol), and I quite like Houston (as they've got probably the best strike-partnership, as well as best all round squad, they're similar to Egypt in the African Cup of Nations). And, of course, there's the Toronto influence. They've got the best fans (as a lot of them are all Europeans, so they bring that culture over with them).

Offline Texas Reds Fan

• The first to learn about Project: Rename LFC
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is emptiness, emptiness is form
« Reply #7 on: April 9, 2008, 02:01:15 am »
Outer zone?

Anyway, it's hard to watch most MLS matches unless it's to keep up to date with the form of national team prospects. Tried watching Chicago vs New England last week and to say it lacks quality is an understatement.

Plus this one Mexican player does a run up on penalty kicks from about midfield, which is annoying as hell.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #8 on: April 9, 2008, 05:01:11 am »
Toronto FC :P best fans in the MLS!!!

ALLEZ LES ROUGES!!!

We just signed Laurent Robert and linked with Tebily....... Our defense is really crap so we need all the help we can get :)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #9 on: April 9, 2008, 10:14:03 am »
I look out for the results for Colombus Crew as my mate plays for them. I don't watch any footy other than Liverpool

Offline Conde

• scendingly banned for being an arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: April 9, 2008, 06:24:48 pm »
I don't watch any footy other than Liverpool
i couldn't do that.

Offline Red345

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: April 9, 2008, 07:14:22 pm »
Red Bulls for me.

Besides being my local squad, Jozy Altidore and Juan Pablo Angel are a pleasure to watch.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 9, 2008, 08:58:12 pm »
Angel still doing well out there?

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 01:59:25 pm »
TORONTO FC - 3 WINS IN A ROW

Had to bump this thread because the TFC are doing so well. BMO was boss again on Saturday and am just hoping I can turn my half-season tickets into full ones for next year.

(Just found some tickets for the New England game to give Nicol a nice welcoming to Toronto)
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Red345

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 04:48:04 am »
Angel still doing well out there?

injured right now, but overall has been quality.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 05:42:01 pm »
Well noone could give a toss about this thread - but TFC are unbeaten in 6 - oh yeah - feels great  :P
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Online Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 06:37:16 pm »
I like watching it, you can always take something from a game of footie. I'm a Revs 'fan' myself, will probably make it up to Foxboro again a few times over the coming months... not only is there the Nichol connection, but the assistant manager used to coach at my school.

I did have to laugh at one point last year though, it was the Galaxy - Chivas derby I think, and David Beckham was holding in midfield alongside none other than... Abel Xavier. Class.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 08:34:40 pm »
I follow TorontoFC.  Great support from the fans for this team, even when they lost so many in a row last season.  There's a real sense of letting the team have its growing pains; that there's no expectations of, "You've had your first year to work things out.  Now start winning or we're not watching." Of course, it's been over 40 years since the Maple Leafs won anything, so perhaps the Toronto fan base is used to it. :p  Kidding!  I think fans of TFC are fans of the game as a whole, and just love the fact that there's a local team to cheer for.  16,000 season tickets were sold in a day this year, and while it might not sound like much in European standards, the stadium only holds 20,000.  And 16k is something when you consider there are 3 other major sports in the city.  (I'm not counting the CFL!)  Go TFC!!
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 11:11:23 am »
Beckham has done an Alonso in the MLS yesterday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoRAGfdkiVA

Thats now:
Alonso 2 - 2 Beckham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 08:46:13 pm »
I follow TorontoFC.  Great support from the fans for this team, even when they lost so many in a row last season.  There's a real sense of letting the team have its growing pains; that there's no expectations of, "You've had your first year to work things out.  Now start winning or we're not watching." Of course, it's been over 40 years since the Maple Leafs won anything, so perhaps the Toronto fan base is used to it. :p  Kidding!  I think fans of TFC are fans of the game as a whole, and just love the fact that there's a local team to cheer for.  16,000 season tickets were sold in a day this year, and while it might not sound like much in European standards, the stadium only holds 20,000.  And 16k is something when you consider there are 3 other major sports in the city.  (I'm not counting the CFL!)  Go TFC!!

Hear hear

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 03:39:16 pm »
How excited are you Sky viewers at the prospect of seeing MLS games in your neck of the woods?

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/02/25/mls-and-british-broadcaster-sky-sports-announce-groundbreaking-partnership

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 05:53:39 pm »
How excited are you Sky viewers at the prospect of seeing Galaxy and NYCFC games in your neck of the woods?
Fixed it for you.  :P

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 06:59:50 pm »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 07:01:28 pm »
I did not know Giles Barnes was playing in the MLS. Completely forgot about him. Was one of those future England stars when he first appeared at Derby!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 08:36:57 pm »
How excited are you Sky viewers at the prospect of seeing MLS games in your neck of the woods?

It was on BT Sport before which I'm currently getting for free (not even paying for their broadband) so... all Sky are doing is running their hype machine over it because of Gerrard and Lampard. Shouting about something else probably plays into trying to distract their subscribers from remembering they lost CL games to BT too, they were hyping up Sky Sports 5 last year and that didn't even come with any new packages of games.

Nevertheless I'm interested in what they're building at Orlando City; successful in the lower leagues, strong English influence (ownership, management and players) but with big ties to Brazil and a lot of young players from Central/South America and the Caribbean. Nice kit and crest too.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 08:52:26 pm »
Terrible league, practically unwatchable.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #26 on: March 3, 2015, 10:29:27 pm »
Looks like the players are going to strike. Season was supposed to start this weekend.

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: March 5, 2015, 02:53:35 pm »

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: March 5, 2015, 04:05:47 pm »
Good. Been holding off on getting my tickets until this was resolved.
which team?

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: March 5, 2015, 04:36:36 pm »
which team?

Red Bulls. I'm in a predicament. They just got a new chap with my last name and I'm on the market for a new kit. Do I get one with someone who hasn't stepped foot on the pitch for my name or not? A part of me feels like it's massively lame.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 5, 2015, 05:40:11 pm »
The standard of the MLS is really improving, in the next ten years you'll see a lot of top top players going there in their prime, as designated players, and not just in the latter stages of their careers as is the case nowadays.

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 8, 2015, 12:35:20 pm »
Woah only just saw that owen coyle is head coach of houston. When did that happen?! Thought he could have found another job in the football league somewhere..

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #33 on: March 8, 2015, 05:01:30 pm »
Just watched this....cringe.com ! 

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/worthy-coming-anthem-32538/

:duh
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 8, 2015, 07:55:15 pm »
Woah only just saw that owen coyle is head coach of houston. When did that happen?! Thought he could have found another job in the football league somewhere..
Yeah, kind of a weird move to be honest. As much as I want MLS to be successful, I'm shocked he couldn't get a job somewhere in the Championship (or even another league in Europe).

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 8, 2015, 10:29:51 pm »
Owen Coyle wanted to go to America, claims he turned down half a dozen other offers before he agreed to move to Houston. Four British managers in MLS at the moment although I think he's the first British manager to go out there with a high-ish profile.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #36 on: March 8, 2015, 10:30:45 pm »
Owen Coyle wanted to go to America, claims he turned down half a dozen other offers before he agreed to move to Houston. Four British managers in MLS at the moment although I think he's the first British manager to go out there with a high-ish profile.

The new Shankly.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #37 on: March 9, 2015, 12:22:10 am »

Coyle, Robinson and Heath.. Who is the fourth? Unless you're counting Dominic "Joke" Kinnear...

Yallop is Canadian, right?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 9, 2015, 01:48:07 am »
Coyle, Robinson and Heath.. Who is the fourth? Unless you're counting Dominic "Joke" Kinnear...

Yallop is Canadian, right?

The place I read that stat counted Yallop as English. Moved to Canada at the age of 10 then moved back to England at 16 to sign for Ipswich.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #39 on: March 9, 2015, 12:20:26 pm »
The place I read that stat counted Yallop as English. Moved to Canada at the age of 10 then moved back to England at 16 to sign for Ipswich.

Got it. Think he's identified as Canadian by the league because he won Canadian caps...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...