Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310654 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #1800 on: December 9, 2016, 12:52:05 am »
RIP

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #1801 on: December 9, 2016, 09:48:09 am »
Might have to give the Right Stuff a watch tonight in his honour.

RIP

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1802 on: January 9, 2017, 09:27:57 am »
Not sure what's the most suitable thread, but this will do. Driving home from dropping my lad to school, and I notice these 2 white things in the sky. One disappeared before I could get my phone out, and the second gradually disappeared like the first one. What could they be?

« Last Edit: January 9, 2017, 09:30:06 am by Brnylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1803 on: January 9, 2017, 09:59:10 am »
something that disappeared in the space of a couple of minutes? sounds like everton's chances of winning a trophy

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1804 on: January 10, 2017, 03:08:23 pm »
something that disappeared in the space of a couple of minutes? sounds like everton's chances of winning a trophy

;D

Looks like a meteorite of some description.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1805 on: January 10, 2017, 04:26:44 pm »
;D

fuck off with sensible answers ;D

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: January 10, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »
;D

That was my initial thoughts when I first noticed them. But they weren't moving.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1807 on: January 10, 2017, 06:30:45 pm »
fuck off with sensible answers ;D

I haven't discounted aliens  ;D

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: January 12, 2017, 02:06:08 pm »
That was my initial thoughts when I first noticed them. But they weren't moving.

Definitely aliens then!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1809 on: January 15, 2017, 08:17:51 pm »

Sure it wasn't just Lukaku?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #1810 on: January 20, 2017, 12:43:37 pm »
Saturn’s shepherd moon Daphnis makes waves in new images from the Cassini spacecraft. http://astronomynow.com/2017/01/19/saturns-shepherd-moon-daphnis-makes-waves/

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1811 on: February 9, 2017, 01:40:31 pm »
If anyone's interested and has a clear night tonight, Jocelyn Bell Burnell will be holding a talk in the University of Liverpool this evening.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/events/event/?eventid=84480

Barkla Lecture 2017 - What pulsars (pulsating radio sources) have done to (and for) physics - Dame Susan Jocelyn Bell Burnell

This year's speaker is Dame Susan Jocelyn Bell Burnell DBE FRS FRSE FRAS, Professorial Fellow Mansfield College and Visiting Professor, Astrophysics, University of Oxford.

Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell discovered, as a postgraduate student at the University of Cambridge, the first radio pulsars, for which her supervisor, Antony Hewish, received the Nobel prize in 1974, shared with Martin Ryle. She has held positions at the University of Southampton, University College London, the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh and the Open University. She was also visiting professor in Princeton and Dean of Science at the University of Bath. From 2002 to 2004 Jocelyn Bell Burnell was President
of the Royal Astronomical Society and from 2008 to 2010 President of the Institute of Physics. She is currently President of the Royal Society in Edinburgh and Pro-Chancellor of the University of Dublin.Barkla Lecture Website

As usual, refreshments will be available in the foyer outside the lecture theatre from 4:30 pm and there will be a wine and nibbles reception after the lecture. The lecture is aimed at a broad audience and everybody is welcome.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1812 on: February 16, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »
This excites me greatly. 5th to 14th April for an attempt to picture our galaxy's black hole. Fingers crossed for the weather they need.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38937141

The strategy is to view the galactic centre at a wavelength of 1.3mm (230GHz). This has the best chance of piercing any obscuring gas and dust in the vicinity of the black hole. But if there is too much water vapour above the array's receivers, the EHT will struggle even to see through Earth's atmosphere.

Just getting a resolved view of Sagittarius A* would be a remarkable triumph in itself. But the real objective here is to use the imaging capability to go test aspects of general relativity.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1813 on: February 20, 2017, 02:26:48 am »

Drone view of the Blue Origin rocket landing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/glEvogjdEVY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/glEvogjdEVY</a>

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1814 on: February 20, 2017, 09:56:00 pm »
NASA to host a news conference on discovery beyond our solar system on Wednesday:

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-host-news-conference-on-discovery-beyond-our-solar-system

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1815 on: February 20, 2017, 10:39:16 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1816 on: February 21, 2017, 09:48:35 am »
More exoplanets...

It's being described as a "major" news conference.  Unless they've rock solid confirmed a near-Earth sized world with liquid water and an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, finding Exo-planets is (shockingly enough) a bit run of the mill these days.

Popcorn's Art

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1817 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:53 am »
Football is a lie

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1818 on: February 21, 2017, 12:56:49 pm »
It's being described as a "major" news conference.  Unless they've rock solid confirmed a near-Earth sized world with liquid water and an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, finding Exo-planets is (shockingly enough) a bit run of the mill these days.

Well, think of who NASA answers to now. They're going to be tremendous exoplanets. The best exoplanets, like you wouldn't believe. People are saying they're the biggest and most likely ever to support life anybody's ever seen.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1819 on: February 21, 2017, 01:29:52 pm »
Well, think of who NASA answers to now. They're going to be tremendous exoplanets. The best exoplanets, like you wouldn't believe. People are saying they're the biggest and most likely ever to support life anybody's ever seen.

and if there's already life on them they want them to pay for a big fuck off wall so they can't come here

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1820 on: February 22, 2017, 03:58:25 pm »
Announcement is 6pm today innit? Anyone know where to watch it live?
Football is a lie

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1821 on: February 22, 2017, 06:46:18 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39034050

A multi exo planet system, several within the Goldilocks zone...

Quite a small star though...

However, good evidence of multi planet systems like our own..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1822 on: February 22, 2017, 06:48:01 pm »
Sounds like NASA is fighting to sustain life on NASA.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1823 on: February 22, 2017, 08:49:36 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bnKFaAS30X8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bnKFaAS30X8</a>
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:55:51 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1824 on: February 23, 2017, 07:04:25 pm »
Seven Earth sized planets in a single system is quite the discovery.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/science/trappist-1-exoplanets-nasa.html?_r=0

Not just one, but seven Earth-size planets that could potentially harbor life have been identified orbiting a tiny star not too far away, offering the first realistic opportunity to search for signs of alien life outside the solar system.

The planets orbit a dwarf star named Trappist-1, about 40 light-years, or 235 trillion miles, from Earth. That is quite close in cosmic terms, and by happy accident, the orientation of the orbits of the seven planets allows them to be studied in great detail.

One or more of the exoplanets in this new system could be at the right temperature to be awash in oceans of water, astronomers said, based on the distance of the planets from the dwarf star.

“This is the first time so many planets of this kind are found around the same star,” Michael Gillon, an astronomer at the University of Liege in Belgium and the leader of an international team that has been observing Trappist-1, said during a telephone news conference organized by the journal Nature, which published the findings on Wednesday.

Scientists could even discover compelling evidence of aliens.

“I think that we have made a crucial step toward finding if there is life out there,” said Amaury H. M. J. Triaud, an astronomer at the University of Cambridge in England and another member of the research team. “Here, if life managed to thrive and releases gases similar to that we have on Earth, then we will know.”

Cool red dwarfs are the most common type of star, so astronomers are likely to find more planetary systems like that around Trappist-1 in the coming years.

“You can just imagine how many worlds are out there that have a shot to becoming a habitable ecosystem,” Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of NASA’s science mission directorate, said during a NASA news conference on Wednesday. “Are we alone out there? We’re making a step forward with this — a leap forward, in fact — towards answering that question.”

Telescopes on the ground now and the Hubble Space Telescope in orbit will be able to discern some of the molecules in the planetary atmospheres. The James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled to launch next year, will peer at the infrared wavelengths of light, ideal for studying Trappist-1.

Comparisons among the different conditions of the seven will also be revealing.

“The Trappist-1 planets make the search for life in the galaxy imminent,” said Sara Seager, an astronomer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who was not a member of the research team. “For the first time ever, we don’t have to speculate. We just have to wait and then make very careful observations and see what is in the atmospheres of the Trappist planets.”

Even if the planets all turn out to be lifeless, scientists will have learned more about what keeps life from flourishing.

Astronomers always knew other stars must have planets, but until a couple of decades ago, they had not been able to spot them. Now they have confirmed more than 3,400, according to the Open Exoplanet Catalog. (An exoplanet is a planet around a star other than the sun.)

The authors of the Nature paper include Didier Queloz, one of the astronomers who discovered in 1995 the first known exoplanet around a sunlike star.

While the Trappist planets are about the size of Earth — give or take 25 percent in diameter — the star is very different from our sun.

Trappist-1, named after a robotic telescope in the Atacama Desert of Chile that the astronomers initially used to study the star, is what astronomers call an “ultracool dwarf,” with only one-twelfth the mass of the sun and a surface temperature of 4,150 degrees Fahrenheit, much cooler than the 10,000 degrees radiating from the sun. Trappist is a shortening of Transiting Planets and Planetesimals Small Telescope.

During the NASA news conference, Dr. Gillon gave a simple analogy: If our sun were the size of a basketball, Trappist-1 would be a golf ball.

Until the last few years, scientists looking for life elsewhere in the galaxy have focused on finding Earth-size planets around sun-like stars. But it is hard to pick out the light of a planet from the glare of a bright star. Small dim dwarfs are much easier to study.

Last year, astronomers announced the discovery of an Earth-size planet around Proxima Centauri, the closest star at 4.24 light-years away. That discovery was made using a different technique that does not allow for study of the atmosphere.

Trappist-1 periodically dimmed noticeably, indicating that a planet might be passing in front of the star, blocking part of the light. From the shape of the dips, the astronomers calculate the size of the planet.

Trappist-1’s light dipped so many times that the astronomers concluded, in research reported last year, that there were at least three planets around the star. Telescopes from around the world then also observed Trappist-1, as did the Spitzer Space Telescope of NASA.

Spitzer observed Trappist-1 nearly around the clock for 20 days, capturing 34 transits. Together with the ground observations, it let the scientists calculate not three planets, but seven. The planets are too small and too close to the star to be photographed directly.

All seven are very close to the dwarf star, circling more quickly than the planets in our solar system. The innermost completes an orbit in just 1.5 days. The farthest one completes an orbit in about 20 days.   :o That makes the planetary system more like the moons of Jupiter than a larger planetary system like our solar system.

“They form a very compact system,” Dr. Gillon said, “the planets being pulled close to each other and very close to the star.”

In addition, the orbital periods of the inner six suggest that the planets formed farther away from the star and then were all gradually pulled inward, Dr. Gillon said.

Because the planets are so close to a cool star, their surfaces could be at the right temperatures to have water flow, considered one of the essential ingredients for life.

The fourth, fifth and sixth planets orbit in the star’s “habitable zone,” where the planets could sport oceans. So far that is just speculation, but by measuring which wavelengths of light are blocked by the planet, scientists will be able to figure out what gases float in the atmospheres of the seven planets.

So far, they have confirmed for the two innermost planets that they are not enveloped in hydrogen. That means they are rocky like Earth, ruling out the possibility that they were mini-Neptune gas planets that are prevalent around many other stars.

Because the planets are so close to Trappist-1, they have quite likely become “gravitationally locked” to the star, always with one side of the planets facing the star, much as it is always the same side of Earth’s moon facing Earth. That would mean one side would be warmer, but an atmosphere would distribute heat, and the scientists said that would not be an insurmountable obstacle for life.

For a person standing on one of the planets, it would be a dim environment, with perhaps only about one two-hundredth the light that we see from the sun on Earth, Dr. Triaud said. (That would still be brighter than the moon at night.) The star would be far bigger. On Trappist-1f, the fifth planet, the star would be three times as wide as the sun seen from Earth.

As for the color of the star, “we had a debate about that,” Dr. Triaud said.

Some of the scientists expected a deep red, but with most of the star’s light emitted at infrared wavelengths and out of view of human eyes, perhaps a person would “see something more salmon-y,” Dr. Triaud said.

NASA released a poster illustrating what the sky of the fourth planet might look like.

If observations reveal oxygen in a planet’s atmosphere, that could point to photosynthesis of plants — although not conclusively. But oxygen together with methane, ozone and carbon dioxide, particularly in certain proportions, “would tell us that there is life with 99 percent confidence,” Dr. Gillon said.

Astronomers expect that a few decades of technological advances are needed before similar observations can be made of Earthlike planets around larger, brighter sunlike stars.

Dr. Triaud said that if there is life around Trappist-1, “then it’s good we didn’t wait too long.”

“If there isn’t, then we have learned something quite deep about where life can emerge,” he continued.

The discovery might also mean that scientists who have been searching for radio signals from alien civilizations might also have been searching in the wrong places if most habitable planets orbit dwarfs, which live far longer than larger stars like the sun.

The SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif., is using the Allen Telescope Array, a group of 42 radio dishes in California, to scrutinize 20,000 red dwarfs. “This result is kind of a justification for that project,” said Seth Shostak, an astronomer at the institute.

“If you’re looking for complex biology — intelligent aliens that might take a long time to evolve from pond scum — older could be better,” Dr. Shostak said. “It seems a good bet that the majority of clever beings populating the universe look up to see a dim, reddish sun hanging in their sky. And at least they wouldn’t have to worry about sun block.”

Correction: February 22, 2017

An earlier version of this article named the wrong telescope that is trained on the Trappist-1 dwarf star. It is the Spitzer Space Telescope, not the Kepler. The article also misstated how many days it takes for the planet farthest from Trappist-1 to orbit the star. It is about 20 days, not 12.35.

Interesting that TRAPPIST 1 is described as an "ultra cool dwarf star" rather than a red dwarf.  Perhaps it is closer to a large brown dwarf rather than a small red dwarf.  I'm guessing the planets will be tidally locked.  Any life on these planets will be rather hectic, but the system is still only very young so I doubt there's anything there right now.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: February 24, 2017, 12:15:39 pm »
Seven Earth sized planets in a single system is quite the discovery.

Interesting that TRAPPIST 1 is described as an "ultra cool dwarf star" rather than a red dwarf.  Perhaps it is closer to a large brown dwarf rather than a small red dwarf.  I'm guessing the planets will be tidally locked.  Any life on these planets will be rather hectic, but the system is still only very young so I doubt there's anything there right now.

Thanks for posting that, very interesting. What a wonderful thing to be able to do that for a living, something worthwhile.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1826 on: February 24, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1827 on: February 25, 2017, 07:17:19 pm »
Can't escape from the overgrown umpa lumpa anywhere.  Potentially sending men to the moon on the first ever SLS launch to mark 50 years since Apollo 8?  Insanely risky.  It's the kind of thing the Russians would do.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cdrEzIlecIk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cdrEzIlecIk</a>
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:21:29 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #1829 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:59 pm »
SpaceX Launch and re land successful!!!!
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1830 on: April 12, 2017, 12:02:34 am »

Nasa will hold a major press conference on ocean worlds in our own solar system, it has said.

The agency will reveal results that will inform the “broader search for life beyond Earth” at the mysterious event.

They will also affect plans for “future ocean world exploration”, Nasa said.

The US space agency tends to hold mysterious events when it has significant announcements to make to the public.

Recent reveals have included the discovery of water on Mars and an entire potentially habitable solar system near our own.

The new findings will concentrate on our own solar system, according to Nasa's announcement. In particular, they will include findings from the Cassini craft — which was sent to Saturn but has explored dwarf planets that may contain life — and the Hubble Space Telescope.

The event will be livestreamed at 7pm UK time on Thursday and will feature input from many of the world's leading experts on the search for alien life. Those include senior members of the Cassini mission and experts on astrobiology, or the study of life forms elsewhere in the universe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nasa-press-conference-life-beyond-earth-ocean-exploration-a7677386.html
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #1831 on: April 13, 2017, 10:28:20 pm »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1832 on: April 16, 2017, 05:35:03 am »
Cassini looking home through Saturn's rings on April 13th. (via Jason Major)

Makes me think of Sagan's 'pale blue dot' (Link for any who've never heard it). 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 05:38:42 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1833 on: April 17, 2017, 08:45:20 pm »
Let's get nostalgic.  The highest resolution departure images of Pluto by New Horizons, with approximate true colour from a lower resolution camera.

Popcorn's Art

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1834 on: April 17, 2017, 09:48:37 pm »
Let's get nostalgic.  The highest resolution departure images of Pluto by New Horizons, with approximate true colour from a lower resolution camera.

I love every image that came out of that mission. And who would have thought Pluto would have an atmosphere? (Yes, I'm sure plenty of people thought that, because they know more than my 0% about astrogeology.) I hope that someday, not too too long from now, people look back at how tremendously difficult and monumental an achievement New Horizons was, and they laugh in the same way we laugh at big, blocky old cell phones and room-filling computers.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1835 on: April 18, 2017, 12:15:20 pm »
This excites me greatly. 5th to 14th April for an attempt to picture our galaxy's black hole. Fingers crossed for the weather they need.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38937141

Do we know how this went then? I understand that there would be a lot of data to process and analyse, but maybe they know if it's likely to have been a success.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:21:29 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1836 on: April 18, 2017, 12:27:16 pm »
What are the best space/astronomy websites? I used to follow some very good accounts on Twitter, but I don't have that anymore and can't remember what they were.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1837 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:09 pm »
Do we know how this went then? I understand that there would be a lot of data to process and analyse, but maybe they know if it's likely to have been a success.

They believe they've caught an image of the event horizon. But they need to get the data from Antarctica and can only collect it sometime during October at the earliest. After processing, they think it will be 2018 before they can publish.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1838 on: April 18, 2017, 03:20:49 pm »
What are the best space/astronomy websites? I used to follow some very good accounts on Twitter, but I don't have that anymore and can't remember what they were.
What part of it are you after?  Images?  Current missions?  News?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1839 on: April 18, 2017, 09:27:04 pm »
What part of it are you after?  Images?  Current missions?  News?

Yes. :)
Love Ren & Stimpy