Author Topic: Player ratings for 2018/19- what are yours?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
Player ratings for 2018/19- what are yours?
« on: June 12, 2019, 09:49:56 am »
Now the season has ended I thought it may be the time to look back on 2018/19 and review how each player has done. I wanted to wait for a bit since after the CL Final I’d have just given every player 10/10. To grade each player I’ve given them a mark out of 10, with 0.5 increments. My general grading was as follows:

0-4 out of 10 Player has been somewhere between terrible and disastrous in their performances. Potentially a questionable off the field attitude too
4-6 out of 10 Player has been below average to average on the majority of occasions they’ve played
6-7 out of 10 Player has been average to good for vast majority of performances
7-8 out of 10 Player has been good to very good for vast majority of performances
8-9 out of 10 Player has been very good to excellent throughout the season. Getting into PL team of the Year territory with these marks
9-10 out of 10 Player has been on the top of their game across the season. Performances consistently at a standard which mark them out as one of the best players in their position domestically and in Europe

As always there was a tendency to mark a player against expectations. It probably why I’ve give Origi a higher mark than expected, and maybe someone like Firmino a lower mark than others would.

Goalkeepers

Alisson -  He’s been solid in goal bar the odd mishap. His positioning is so good that he doesn’t need to make spectacular saves. Always parries shots away from danger. Looked solid on crosses too. His physical stature must help immensely when coming through crowded penalty boxes. His distribution has been good though I think he’s reigned in some of the more risky things he tried at the start of the season. Probably our signing of summer 2018 and definitely plugged a big gap  - 9/10

Mignolet – Not much to say about his time on the pitch. Played twice did OK. Showed some of the strengths and weaknesses we know he already had. Attitude has been spot on though. Probably the best No.2 (ability and attitude wise) in the league  - 5/10

Defence

Alexander-Arnold -  took that next step up in his development. Had some rocky games at times but seemed to grow and grow as the season went on. Huge threat going forward and apart from the odd time was pretty solid at the back. His development is in the coming season is one of the areas where this team can improve. He’s got the ability to be one of the best right backs in the World. He’s got the ability to be one of the best players in the World – 8.5/10

Gomez – 1st half of the season he delivered on his huge promise. If he can deliver those 1st half of season performances at centre back  for an entire season then we’ll have one of the best young centre backs in the World on our books. Unlucky to have been taken out with an injury in December and hardly featured afterwards. He’d have been 9/10 if he put a full season together. - 7/10

Lovren – ended last season as 1st choice partner for van Dijk. Ended this season as 4th choice centre back. Slightly unfair since injuries played a role, as did the performance of others. He did fine when called upon. Dejan just wasn’t required or fit that much. Big season for him in 2019/2020 to see if he can re-establish himself-  6/10

Matip -  Started the season as 4th choice centre back. Ended up as van Dijk’s partner. Remarkable 2nd half of the season from Matip. Hardly put a foot or head wrong for the last 4 months. Surpassed all expectation except for when attacking ball in the opposition’s box. Still got a 50p head – 8/10

Van Dijk – imperious. Dominant in the air at both end of the pitch. Never beaten for pace. Good on the ball. He has everything and seems to have bought into the culture of the club too. Genuine contender for Balon D’or this year. Would have been 10/10 but knocked off half a point because my Wife fancies the handsome b*****d too -  9.5/10

Robertson – built on the very good 6 months at the back end of last season to establish himself, not only as Liverpool’s best left back but the league’s best left back. Tenacious, brilliant defensively and a threat going forward. Probably the best left back I’ve seen us have. -9/10

Moreno -  similar to Mignolet and hard to judge. Off the field the reports are that he’s an excellent team mate. On the pitch he hardly played. Did OK on those few occasions he did get called upon – 5/10

Midfield

Fabinho -  grew into the season as it progressed and now looks an integral part of the team. I think a lot of praise needs to go to the player in how he handled the transition to our system and the intensity of this league. Klopp deserves huge credit too. The slow introduction, followed by utilisation in a double pivot in winter 2018, meant he could be played as a No.6 in our loosely described  4-3-3 system over the final 3-4 months of the season. His performance against Barcelona at home was the high point. That seemed a long way away when he was getting legged around The Emirates by Arsenal in the autumn of 2018 – 8.5/10

Henderson – really unusual season from Henderson. It’s been a bit up and down – both in terms of performance and his standing in the team. 2017/18 season he was undoubted 1st choice for the No.6 position. As this season wore on that was no longer true, though he’d still had some outstanding games (PSG at home for example). Looked like he might not be 1st choice any more. From Southampton away he looked re-born in a more advanced role. Ended the season really strongly and his performances were epitomised in the Barcelona game at home. Passion, physicality, pace, stamina and a huge desire to win encapsulated those end of season performances. Interesting to see how he progresses in this position over a full season  - 7.5/10

Milner -  such a valuable player to have in the squad. Did brilliantly, alongside Wijnaldum, at the start of the season. With Henderson coming back late from World Cup duty and Keita/Fabinho settling into the club, Milner was vitally important in midfield during those 1st few months of the season. Continued to contribute throughout the season and provided back up in the full back positions also -  8/10

Wijnaldum -  over the course of the season he was probably our most important midfielder. Certainly played the most minutes. Was very good the 1st few months of the season, had a dip after Xmas but came back strongly. A midfielder who can do a bit of everything. Probably under valued by many non-LFC supporters – 8.5/10

Keita – a season interrupted by niggling injuries. I personally think he struggled with the physicality and pace of the league in his 1st 6 months. Sometimes he looked like he was struggling with the system. Last few months of the season you could see him begin to establish himself and show the qualities we know he has. Big thing expected of him next season and hopefully he can continue his upward trajectory -  6.5/10

Lallana -  another player who was injury hit throughout the season. He’s definitely a player who can contributed, as exemplified by his performances against Burnley and Fulham in spring, but hard to rate him highly given how little he played (only 6 starts across League and CL) -  5.5/10

Shaqiri – another difficult one to grade due to the lack of games time (13 starts across league and CL). Different to Lallana though he had a sustained impact for a period of time (Nov-Dec) when we went with 4 forwards on the pitch. Across the season he had 11 PL starts (13 subs) with 6 goals and 3 assists. That’s a very good contribution given the limited playing time. In 2019 he struggled for playing time. Was that due to carrying an injury (as reported) and/or the change in system that saw us revert to 4-3-3 for the majority of occasions? I’m not 100% sure but the reason may dictate whether Shaqiri has a long term future at Liverpool or not – 7/10

Forwards

Salah – less goals than 2017/18 but now looks a more rounded player. Obvious that opposition teams were devising plans to stop him and doubling up on him. Still managed to grab 27 goals despite that close scrutiny. An immensely important player for us and one who is a constant threat and provides space for others  - 9/10

Mane – probably just edges Salah as the pick of our forward players. Joint golden boot winner shows the strides he’s making with regards to goal scoring threat. Though fair to say he’s probably been afforded more space due to the scrutiny that opposition teams are paying Salah. Mane has put himself in a position to be described as an elite footballer on the World stage and this season was another step forward for him. Most other seasons he’d easily be our Player of the Season -  9/10

Firmino – given the highs of his 2017/18 performances I think he didn’t quite hit those height as consistently during 2018/19. He’s one of the few players in our squad who probably had a worse season compared with the previous season. Similar to Salah I think teams noticed his importance to how we play and looked to stop him. Some absolutely outstanding personal performances from Firmino though. Arsenal at home sticks out the most -  8/10

Sturridge -  very much a squad player but one who contributed during the season. By the end of September it maybe looked like he’d contribute more than he actually did. Goal on the opening day of the season, starting against PSG and the Chelsea goal had me thinking that maybe flickers of the old Sturridge were back. Became more peripheral as the season wore on as Shaqiri and then Origi seemed to overtake him in the pecking order. Ended up starting 2 of the last 3 league games and got the reward his Liverpool career probably deserved with a CL medal – 6.5/10

Origi -  no one would have batted an eye lid if he’d left last summer. A once promising player who seemed to have lost his way, has probably had his career turned on its head by Jordan Pickford’s inability to deal with a routine shot. For him to score a brace in a European Cup semi final and follow it up with the clinching 2nd in the final is frankly nearly believable. It would have been an unfathomable thought at any point during the 1st 6 months of the season to think he’d even play in this type of game for Liverpool. Fairytale stuff for a lad who has always had a huge amount of ability. Probably now has a longer term future at the club – 7/10

It would be interesting to hear other's thoughts. Please add any additional players you think are missing too
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Player ratings for 2018/19- what are yours?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:03:01 pm »
VVD 10/10 and bump TAA up to level off with Robertson at 9

I'd also might knock Salah down .5 as I think despite scoring more he hasn't had the influence of Mane in other respects.

The rest I agree with
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:18:29 pm by Clayton Bigsby »

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 06:16:11 pm »
Alisson, Virgil, Robbo, Trent and Mane have all been 9/10 players, such has been the ridiculous level they have played at (and all avoided long spells out).

Gini, Hendo, Fabi, Matip, Bobby, Salah & Milly have all been 8/10 players. Matip and Fab cos they missed some spells for settling in or injury reasons. Otherwise the way those two played the last 2 or 3 months, they could have been 9/10 players too!  Gomez was fast on his way to joining this group too, but unfortunately suffered a bad injury.

Oh, and Kloppo gets 9/10 too  ;D In fact, maybe 9.5/10.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 06:42:38 pm »
Alisson - 8
Mignolet- n/a (I suppose for being a team player within the squad I'll give him an 8 as he hasn't caused a fuss)
TAA - 8
Gomez - 7.5
VVD - 9
Matip - 7
Lovren - 6
Robertson - 8
Moreno - 5.5
Fabinho - Overall 7 (August to December 5 and from January to May 9)
Wijnaldum - 8
Milner - 7
Keita - 6.5 (mainly due to time adjusting to conditions and injuries, no doubt he'll be an 8 or above next year)
Henderson - 7.5 (last 2 months pushed it from 7 to 7.5)
Lallana - 5.5
AOC - n/a
Shaqiri - 7
Firmino - 8
Mane - 9
Salah - 8.75(!)
Sturridge - 5.5
Origi - for 3 games (the most important 3) he was a 10 but the rest a 6.5

Jurgen - 10/10 97 points and the CL. That we came 2nd to City on 98 can't be helped.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 06:48:06 pm »

I'd also might knock Salah down .5 as I think despite scoring more he hasn't had the influence of Mane in other respects.

I think you're holding Salah to a different standard than everyone else. Take away the goals and he's the most creative player we have. Nobody created as many chances as he did. He's absolutely central to our attacking game. Don't want to take anything away from Mane, but Salah had 10 assists to Mane's 2.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 07:20:50 pm »
I think you're holding Salah to a different standard than everyone else. Take away the goals and he's the most creative player we have. Nobody created as many chances as he did. He's absolutely central to our attacking game. Don't want to take anything away from Mane, but Salah had 10 assists to Mane's 2.

I think I make you right.  :D

I leave it up though. I've said worse on here lol

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:23:48 pm »
9 is still great but what could VVD have done more?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:39:48 pm »
9 is still great but what could VVD have done more?

Yeah... I was thinking that...  if 10 is there... it should be used.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 07:53:32 pm »
Anything less than 8 for anyone of our main lot is laughable.

The lads finished on 97 points and won the Champions League.
:D

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 09:13:00 pm »
Anything less than 8 for anyone of our main lot is laughable.

The lads finished on 97 points and won the Champions League.

I think I only had Gomez, Lovren, Henderson, Keita, Shaqiri, Sturridge and Origi below 8.

Gomez would have been an 8 without the inury (probably a 9). Lovren, Shaqiri, Sturridge and Origi didn't play enough to warrant an 8.

That leaves Henderson and Keita. Was tempted to give Keita 7/10 but hard to justify anything higher. Henderson is borderline 8. Played really well in parts of the season but struggled a bit in others. Was close to giving Hendo an 8 since the end of his season was so strong.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 09:17:06 pm »

Oh, and Kloppo gets 9/10 too  ;D In fact, maybe 9.5/10.

Meant to add Klopp plus staff to my original post.

I would give Klopp 9.5/10. To manage that squad to 97 points and a CL win is remarkable. We have a great squad but it takes something to get to that level of performance across a season.

Not sure what he needs to do to get that extra 0.5 of a point. Maybe just win the league.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 09:28:21 pm »
Van Dijk – imperious. Dominant in the air at both end of the pitch. Never beaten for pace. Good on the ball. He has everything and seems to have bought into the culture of the club too. Genuine contender for Balon D’or this year. Would have been 10/10 but knocked off half a point because my Wife fancies the handsome b*****d too -  9.5/10

Haha fair enough like. So if it was just you fancied him it would of been a 10 right ??  ;D

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 11:19:51 pm »
Some absolutely outstanding personal performances from Firmino though. Arsenal at home sticks out the most -  8/10

There are a few strong contenders but the second(?) goal vs Arsenal might be my favourite of the season... not just the timing of it but the sheer insolence of Firmino of all people (we love him but he's the least glitzy of the front three) to just waltz through the Arsenal defence was stunning, and that third Arsenal player just falling over in solidarity with his bamboozled CBs was the icing on the cake.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 12:09:06 am »
Without Hendo we'd had no chance against Barca. He singlehandedly pulled all the others through to the final in my view. He was immense, playing through pain, giving his all, and it was contagious. It's not some PR trick that every other player and the gaffer mentioned him when talking about how good season we had. I don't care how many bad games he had before April, at the business end of the season he was an example to follow.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 12:48:01 am »
Without Hendo we'd had no chance against Barca. He singlehandedly pulled all the others through to the final in my view. He was immense, playing through pain, giving his all, and it was contagious. It's not some PR trick that every other player and the gaffer mentioned him when talking about how good season we had. I don't care how many bad games he had before April, at the business end of the season he was an example to follow.

Agreed. Henderson set the example against Barca. Imagine seeing your captain at HT, fucked up his knee, peddling away on a stationery bike so he could continue, then pressing Barca like a madman in the second half.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 10:39:39 am »
There are a few strong contenders but the second(?) goal vs Arsenal might be my favourite of the season... not just the timing of it but the sheer insolence of Firmino of all people (we love him but he's the least glitzy of the front three) to just waltz through the Arsenal defence was stunning, and that third Arsenal player just falling over in solidarity with his bamboozled CBs was the icing on the cake.

That entire game is one of my favourites from last season.

Bit lost since of all the other important wins throughout the season. Always like the Xmas period games at Anfield since the atmosphere's always seem excellent. Leicester at home in 2015 (1-0 Benteke) was another Xmas period game at Anfield that had a boss atmosphere.That was probably in a period when the atmosphere was probably worse in general.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 11:20:20 am »
Alisson - 10
TAA - 9
Matip - 8.5
VVD - 10
Gomez - 8.5
Lovren - 7.5
Roberson - 9.5
Fabinho - 8.5
Wijnaldum - 8.5
Keita - 7
Henderson - 8
Milner - 8
Mane - 9
Salah - 8.5
Firmino 8
Origi - 7.5
Shaqiri - 8
Sturridge - 6
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 12:59:20 pm »
Even 8.5 is low for Salah.

10/10 is underselling Klopp
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:10:34 pm by Shaved Crossbar »

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 05:04:31 pm »
Alisson - 10
Mignolet- 10
Gomez - 10
VVD - 10
Matip - 10
Lovren - 10
Robertson - 10
Moreno - 10
Fabinho - 10
Wijnaldum - 10
Milner - 10
Keita - 10
Henderson - 10
Lallana - 10
AOC - 10
Shaqiri - 10
Firmino - 10
Mane - 10
Salah - 10
Sturridge - 10
Origi - 11
Klopp - 10
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 05:47:36 pm »
Haha fair enough like. So if it was just you fancied him it would of been a 10 right ??  ;D

Probably.  ;)

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 07:30:22 pm »
Alisson - 9
Mignolet- What a gentleman, there was genuine delight on his face when we won the cup. No score as he didn't play, 10 for attitude
TAA - 8.5
Gomez - 8
VVD - 9
Matip - 8
Lovren - 7
Robertson - 9
Moreno - 6
Fabinho - 8
Wijnaldum - 8.5
Milner - 8
Keita - 7
Henderson - 7.5 (last 2 months pushed it from 7 to 7.5)
Lallana - 6.5
Shaqiri - 7
Firmino - 8
Mane - 9
Salah - 8.5
Sturridge - 6
Origi - 7 (10 for attitude)

Jurgen - 10/10 Shanklyesque

EDIT: What a horrible bastard I am. They all deserve at least 10.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:33:48 pm by rojo para la vida »