Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399379 times)

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Re: Chasing the Title, Chasing Manchester City
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2018, 03:23:41 pm »
This side we currently have is a lot better than the 13/14 side we had, at new years day I didn't think we would be challenging for the title, it didn't even cross my mind, but the 11 straight matches we won put us into that position. We are much more balanced side by miles, in most positions and even though Suarez and Sturridge were fantastic, I wouldn't trade them for the current front 3 we have and how they compliment our strengths.
snip
We had an incredible drop off in quality after Rafa left, which was only partially compensated for by a general drop off in quality of the top teams in PL (despite the money pouring in). During the Rafa years, PL teams were dominating CL, but then something happened. Leicester winning 15/16 was sort of rock bottom, with just one PL team in the final 8 of CL. Now we've recovered, and it's just bad luck that ManC has improved as well.

Leicester 15/16 would struggle getting into top 4 this season, IMO.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2018, 04:16:26 pm »
Everything fell into place for Leicester that season. That was the season everyone else was getting their stuff together., so Leicester got a break Now there are at least 3 teams who are just too good and have elite managers. I think that for as long as  Pep, Klopp and Sarri are around, the title is going to be challenging to win. I am still undecided about Emery. This season I think Spurs are going to regress as a result of keeping to par while everyone has improved.

Offline Straw hat pirate

• Kemlynite
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2018, 04:52:23 pm »
Put a 100 on pool to win the season

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfόnfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2018, 05:00:40 pm »
it's just a shame that these plastic petro dollar clubs have come into existence, it's never going to be an even playing field with them around, it'll always be an uphill struggle. Not that the playing field is ever even, but these days it's taken to the extreme.

What can you do but just enjoy the team you have! Although as fans in the prem, there could be a whole lot more pro-activity regards the state of a lot of shit going on in this league, but a vast majority of fans are pretty passive about letting things ride. But that's for another discussion.

Anyway, indeed, enjoy the ride, enjoy the team we have, enjoy Jόrgen Klopp as long as he's here, cos goodness knows you'll miss him when he leaves. And be thankful we have a manager who is fantastic man as well as a hugely talented coach, who understands football and the club he manages, rather than just being there for the paycheck like the managers at all the other top premier league clubs.

And we'll see how it pans out!

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »
exactly. would much rather beat a prime city with guardiola at the helm to the title than a leicester that finishes second.
We haven't won the league for 29 years. I couldn't give a damn how we win it or who we beat to the prize!!

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2018, 06:00:16 pm »
They only lost 2 games last season in the league (us at anfield and utd at etihad) Struggling to see where they will lose their games this season, 7 points out of 9 from playing us, arsenal and tottenham so far is good form without them even playing that well

all we can do is carry on taking each game at a time and keeping the pressure up, my only worry for us is the champions league may be a distraction again, But i'd take a 6th european cup over the league anyway :D

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2018, 06:21:40 pm »
As has been said already, we're in it for the long haul and consistency is the key.  This isn't about us scoring 82-92 points this season.  This is about us scoring 82-92 points EVERY season, for about five seasons.

We have to put those days of sporadic challenges, followed by falling back the following year, behind us.  This isn't about pressuring City over 38 games - if we want to win the title we have to pressure them over 60 games, over 120 games.  We have to be a permanent, unrelenting threat to them, so that they can NEVER afford to take their foot off the gas.

It's a war of attrition.  This season is a knife fight, but only us, City and Chelsea brought guns.  Just a question of who runs out of ammunition first.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2018, 06:22:23 pm »
They only lost 2 games last season in the league (us at anfield and utd at etihad) Struggling to see where they will lose their games this season, 7 points out of 9 from playing us, arsenal and tottenham so far is good form without them even playing that well

They lost to Lyon and drew to Wolves, so it's possible. Not like Spurs didn't have chances last night either.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2018, 07:32:46 pm »
The same question could be applied to us. If we think City will only lose two games all season, then which two games do you think we will lose? and even which two games will Chelsea lose? Any team could lose to any team on any given day of they have an off day. Chelsea almost lost to Man Utd, likewise we almost lost to Chelsea and City but didn't

Also, I don't think its that straightforward to say Man City only lost 2 games last season, ergo they will only lose two games  or less this season.

I agree we need to be in it for the long haul.  Every season is different, but hit 90 points every season and we should win the title
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:37:09 pm by Mr_Shane »

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2018, 08:06:11 pm »
We've only lost two games in a season and still finished second.  Sad fact is when you're up against City you can barely afford to put a step wrong.  10 games in and already every game is "must win".

But I like to think our form is already putting pressure on City; they know we will capitalise the moment they slip up.  All we can do is control our own results, starting with Arsenal.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2018, 08:18:03 pm »
The critical thing for our chances is hoping some teams have the balls to have a go against City. Wolves had a good game plan that very nearly yielded three points, Spurs looked dangerous on the occasions they pressed them high last night, and without blowing our own trumpets, we provided a blueprint on how to put them away last season.

Last season far too many teams were beaten before they stepped onto the pitch with them. Chelsea and Arsenal to name two produced absolutely disgraceful efforts for so called big six teams. City are a juggernaut at Eastlands, but I think they can be vulnerable if risks are taken against them on their travels.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2018, 08:57:01 pm »
As has been said already, we're in it for the long haul and consistency is the key.  This isn't about us scoring 82-92 points this season.  This is about us scoring 82-92 points EVERY season, for about five seasons.

We have to put those days of sporadic challenges, followed by falling back the following year, behind us.  This isn't about pressuring City over 38 games - if we want to win the title we have to pressure them over 60 games, over 120 games.  We have to be a permanent, unrelenting threat to them, so that they can NEVER afford to take their foot off the gas.

It's a war of attrition.  This season is a knife fight, but only us, City and Chelsea brought guns.  Just a question of who runs out of ammunition first.

Very well said indeed Berry mate, exactly this. this season is shaping up to be an epic battle, the state of the upper end of the table is incredible and I'm enjoying it immensely but as you say season after season of relentless pressure is what will bring us that which we crave so much
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2018, 09:34:58 pm »
Very well said indeed Berry mate, exactly this. this season is shaping up to be an epic battle, the state of the upper end of the table is incredible and I'm enjoying it immensely but as you say season after season of relentless pressure is what will bring us that which we crave so much

Yeah, it might not happen this season - probably wont happen this season in fact.  But if we can maintain a level of consistency close to this for several seasons then it WILL yield us a title.  What we need now is Klopp, time, and patience.  And so do our players.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2018, 09:44:15 pm »
For years what I've really yearned for was competing. We had a couple of seasons where we competed then fell away and largely because our squad wasn't quite up to it. In effect we over performed for a season and then returned to the norm. What I really want is to genuinely compete, year in year out. We'll win one or two if we are at that level for the next five years.

Its a bit too much to expect us to go from 4th place last year to 1st this year - it could happen, but to "expect" it is not how I'm feeling.

Its through having a competitive squad, and the hunger of the club, manager and players that the trophies will come. In the meantime enjoy watching one of the two best teams in Britain and one of the top five teams in Europe play week in week out.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2018, 09:46:40 pm »
City being so good may help us in that they progress further in the Caraboa cup. Also we have more top "new" top players who should be fresh 2nd half of the season like Fabinho, Keita, Shaq and even Brewster. We also have fewer players that went far in the world cup than city. While they're better than us I still think we can beat them to the title

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2018, 09:53:04 pm »
City being so good may help us in that they progress further in the Caraboa cup. Also we have more top "new" top players who should be fresh 2nd half of the season like Fabinho, Keita, Shaq and even Brewster. We also have fewer players that went far in the world cup than city. While they're better than us I still think we can beat them to the title

Hoping they and Chelsea get to they Semis and play each other in January. Two extra games and ones that they’d both have to go into with strong line ups.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2018, 10:10:40 pm »

all we can do is carry on taking each game at a time and keeping the pressure up, my only worry for us is the champions league may be a distraction again, But i'd take a 6th european cup over the league anyway :D

The thing that a lot of people need to realise is the same can be applied to us. City's fans will be looking at our fixtures thinking 'where are they going to lose?'. We're both very good teams. We've improved massively and I think people are still in a bit of disbelief on how strong and consistent our team is now. The great thing for us is that I don't think City can get better. We can though. This time last season we were out of the race. Now we're joint top after 10 games, having only conceded 4 goals. People shit themselves on Saturday when we conceded, thinking that we'd capitulate and concede another one or two even though we'd only conceded 3 in 9 games previously.

There's a hell of a long way to go in the league and I want to enjoy every minute. If we win it, which I do believe there's a chance we can, I want to look back on this season and know that I savioured every moment, every win, no matter the score and wasnt sat here whinging about the fact we scored 4 instead of 8. 
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »

Love this analogy! Well put mate  :wellin
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2018, 10:28:55 pm »
If City get to the semis of the LC, then they could have 8 games in January - and possibly more if they draw an FA Cup game. Then they start Feb with Arsenal and Chelsea. Just need to stay within a few points of them around that time and then the run in begins. And as you say, if they are going all out for the CL they may take their eye off the ball domestically.

I’m not sure if fixture congestion applies to them. There’s no drop off between XI and bench really.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #179 on: October 30, 2018, 11:04:23 pm »

I like this post.  :)

Happily, I feel that Klopp probably sees things this way too. It's not an all or nothing, boom or bust thing over one season. It needs to be about long term consistency.
OK, I know times have changed, but the Liverpool FC I grew up with were a relentless steamroller. We were aware of our rivals and respected them, but we also didn't give a shit about what they were doing. Everything was all about what we were doing. We just did what we did to the best of our abilities whilst trying to better ourselves at every given opportunity. The Liverpool I grew up with let everyone else worry about us.

The history we have to look back on today was built over time. In that time we have overcome better sides. We've welcomed massive European clubs to our ground, took them on and sent them packing. Bigger clubs than we were then. Better resourced clubs. Clubs with technically better players. We did this by believing in ourselves and keeping going. Keeping on improving and being driven on by fantastic management. We have such a manager in Klopp. As you say, we need to set a high bar for ourselves and keep on and on. Season on season. It's a mentality that was instilled in our club by Bill Shankly but lost it's way in the 90s. I think we are getting it back now, and I see no reason why we cannot carry on building and growing, and becoming one hell of a thorn in the side of the lottery winning clubs with seemingly limitless resources.

And lets not forget here, we can get into their heads. It doesn't matter who you are in life, getting to the top is one thing, but staying there is so much harder. You know everyone is wanting to topple you. Also, getting things your own way for a long time can breed the complacency that we can take advantage of if we make sure we are in position to do so. We just need to keep doing our own thing, week in, week out, and if anyone slips up we can take full advantage. Sooner or later, that slip will come. Maybe this season, maybe not. But if we concentrate on ourselves and attain that consistency, we will be there at the right time and we will take advantage.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:06:36 pm by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jόrgen.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2018, 11:36:10 pm »

Great post.

The long term view is the way forward. City have had several players who've been together for years such as Silva, De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Aguero, Sterling, and Sane to name a few. By contrast, our entire back 5 have all pretty much come together in only the last 12 months, our midfield has changed completely and is still fluid, and only our strikers would be considered a settled group.

The key for me is that I genuinely don't think City have another level to go to - Guardiola has created his perfect team and system whereas ours is still evolving and improving. We've sorted our defence, our attack is firing again, and once our midfield comes together we will be more than a match for any side in the league or in Europe.

I'm quietly optimistic about the title this year, but also know that this current group of players and manager will be challenging for many more seasons to come.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Straw hat pirate

• Kemlynite
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2018, 12:35:21 am »
to be honest fairly surprised at how successfull pep has been

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2018, 03:44:05 am »

You're surprised after he's gotten a blank cheque book to buy all the players he wants? He's a great manager but surprised? You should be surprised how Howe has gottten Bournemouth to play and kept in the league for the last 2,3 seasons without playing negative football.

That should be a surprise.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2018, 05:31:20 am »
You're surprised after he's gotten a blank cheque book to buy all the players he wants? He's a great manager but surprised? You should be surprised how Howe has gottten Bournemouth to play and kept in the league for the last 2,3 seasons without playing negative football.

Massive achievement that by Howe. Top class management!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2018, 06:33:36 am »
Think they're the ones still doing the chasing.

Liverpool FC

League Champions (18): 1900–01, 1905–06, 1921–22, 1922–23, 1946–47, 1963–64, 1965–66, 1972–73, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90
FA Cups (7): 1964–65, 1973–74, 1985–86, 1988–89, 1991–92, 2000–01, 2005–06
League Cups (8): 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1994–95, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12 (record)
European Cup/UEFA Champions League Cups (5): 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81, 1983–84, 2004–05
UEFA Cup Cups (3): 1972–73, 1975–76, 2000–01
European Super Cup/UEFA Super Cups (3): 1977, 2001, 2005

Manchester City

League Champions (5): 1936–37, 1967–68, 2011–12, 2013–14, 2017–18
FA Cups (5): 1903–04, 1933–34, 1955–56, 1968–69, 2010–11
Football League Cup/EFL Cups (5): 1969–70, 1975–76, 2013–14, 2015–16, 2017–18
European Cup Winners' Cups (1): 1969–70
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jόrgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2018, 06:42:41 am »
I’m not sure if fixture congestion applies to them. There’s no drop off between XI and bench really.

It can certainly disrupt them. A knock or suspension for Aguero, Silva, Fenandinho, Ederson or De Bruyne  when he's back, and it would affect them.

Yes,they have the depth in their squad for two Premier League sides, but they're not of equal strength.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jόrgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2018, 06:48:00 am »
Just have to carry on doing as well as we currently are, the fact is though we have won 8 games and drawn 2 but still aren't top.
The goal difference is worth an extra point, we are going so well but they are going better, that's how hard it is.
If we can stay with them we have a chance, can't afford to let them get clear of us.

They can throw money at players which along with Pep is why they are so successful.

I think City will win it but I am thrilled at the way we are progressing.

Also let's not forget about Chelsea!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:52:24 am by Frank Becton »
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: October 31, 2018, 08:24:04 am »
I like this post.  :)

Happily, I feel that Klopp probably sees things this way too. It's not an all or nothing, boom or bust thing over one season. It needs to be about long term consistency.
OK, I know times have changed, but the Liverpool FC I grew up with were a relentless steamroller. We were aware of our rivals and respected them, but we also didn't give a shit about what they were doing. Everything was all about what we were doing. We just did what we did to the best of our abilities whilst trying to better ourselves at every given opportunity. The Liverpool I grew up with let everyone else worry about us.

The history we have to look back on today was built over time. In that time we have overcome better sides. We've welcomed massive European clubs to our ground, took them on and sent them packing. Bigger clubs than we were then. Better resourced clubs. Clubs with technically better players. We did this by believing in ourselves and keeping going. Keeping on improving and being driven on by fantastic management. We have such a manager in Klopp. As you say, we need to set a high bar for ourselves and keep on and on. Season on season. It's a mentality that was instilled in our club by Bill Shankly but lost it's way in the 90s. I think we are getting it back now, and I see no reason why we cannot carry on building and growing, and becoming one hell of a thorn in the side of the lottery winning clubs with seemingly limitless resources.

And lets not forget here, we can get into their heads. It doesn't matter who you are in life, getting to the top is one thing, but staying there is so much harder. You know everyone is wanting to topple you. Also, getting things your own way for a long time can breed the complacency that we can take advantage of if we make sure we are in position to do so. We just need to keep doing our own thing, week in, week out, and if anyone slips up we can take full advantage. Sooner or later, that slip will come. Maybe this season, maybe not. But if we concentrate on ourselves and attain that consistency, we will be there at the right time and we will take advantage.

Agree with every word mate, especially this bit.  I'd say we're already in their heads though.  We seem to be the one team that lot - and Pep - fear.
Think they're the ones still doing the chasing.

Liverpool FC

League Champions (18): 1900–01, 1905–06, 1921–22, 1922–23, 1946–47, 1963–64, 1965–66, 1972–73, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90
FA Cups (7): 1964–65, 1973–74, 1985–86, 1988–89, 1991–92, 2000–01, 2005–06
League Cups (8): 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1994–95, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12 (record)
European Cup/UEFA Champions League Cups (5): 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81, 1983–84, 2004–05
UEFA Cup Cups (3): 1972–73, 1975–76, 2000–01
European Super Cup/UEFA Super Cups (3): 1977, 2001, 2005

Manchester City

League Champions (5): 1936–37, 1967–68, 2011–12, 2013–14, 2017–18
FA Cups (5): 1903–04, 1933–34, 1955–56, 1968–69, 2010–11
Football League Cup/EFL Cups (5): 1969–70, 1975–76, 2013–14, 2015–16, 2017–18
European Cup Winners' Cups (1): 1969–70

Impressive.  If City are a relentless juggernaut for the next few years they'll eventually get to Everton's level of success. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: October 31, 2018, 12:26:53 pm »

I think it's a surprise if you were telling yourself he was a fraud that was going to flop as plenty were, despite knowing that blank chequebook he was coming into.

It's going to be glorious when we beat their billions and boss manager to the title.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2018, 12:33:34 pm »

I'm making an early pyro claim here :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: October 31, 2018, 12:53:15 pm »
Pep is still a good coach though. You can't win the league in Germany or Spain even if you can buy any player you want, else David Moyes would be able to do it. The money certainly helps

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 31, 2018, 12:56:37 pm »
"Comparison is the thief of joy"...springs to mind.

Offline jwill2127

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp is the man
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2018, 01:00:00 pm »
I think we need to be neck and neck when it comes to the Q/F of the CL time and we need some favours in city winning but playing top top teams
Our support since 2005 is f@@@@@ @@@@

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2018, 01:14:32 pm »
I believe the main reason I'm so angry with Liverpool's performance against Cardiff is that we still haven't learnt how to beat these teams at the bottom of the table who are parking the bus at Anfield. What's the solution to even score against these guys? Klopp seems to only have a Plan A, and he plays the same team, same formation and has no substitutes who can change the game when we need to... that's why I'm so angry and couldn't see any progress against Cardiff.
{This post is as serious as the one I wrote about my wife's orgasm}
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2018, 01:20:01 pm »
Half empty: After this incredible start we've had it's really disillusioning that we're still behind Man City. We can't keep this up, and even if we do we'd still be behind them.

Half full: After Man City's incredible start they will be disillusioned that we're still equal on points with them. We will keep this up and eventually they won't keep up with us.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: October 31, 2018, 01:58:05 pm »
I'd take City winning the CL right now if it meant they took their eye off the PL.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #196 on: October 31, 2018, 02:17:24 pm »
For years what I've really yearned for was competing. We had a couple of seasons where we competed then fell away and largely because our squad wasn't quite up to it. In effect we over performed for a season and then returned to the norm. What I really want is to genuinely compete, year in year out. We'll win one or two if we are at that level for the next five years.

Its a bit too much to expect us to go from 4th place last year to 1st this year - it could happen, but to "expect" it is not how I'm feeling.

Its through having a competitive squad, and the hunger of the club, manager and players that the trophies will come. In the meantime enjoy watching one of the two best teams in Britain and one of the top five teams in Europe play week in week out.
This is how I feel. We've only just put a real, genuine challenger of a team together. I'm not expecting it to be the best instantly. But what's massively encouraging is that we clearly can compete with city as it is, and that we've got owners who aren't going to shy away from strengthening to get us there, as long as its within their means. There's only so strong any team can be - there's practically no one either us or City can buy now who'd make a drastic difference to our 1st 11 (mbappe maybe would) so beyond that it's squad strength - and how much can you realistically have? Mahrez has basically allowed City to have Sane on the bench. We're a couple of signings away from that kind of depth and then what? Then it becomes a lot like Spain where its all down to whichever team blinks first and the head to head records. And we've got one of the very few managers in the business who doesn't fill his trousers just because it's Guardiola in the other dugout.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #197 on: October 31, 2018, 02:20:19 pm »
I'd take City winning the CL right now if it meant they took their eye off the PL.
And that's another thing. It's a reasonable bet that whichever side doesn't win the league this season WILL win the CL. There certainly aren't any better teams in it than ourselves and City, and City have a problem with a fan base that apparently couldn't give a toss about the CL, while from manager on up their whole structure is desperate for it.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: October 31, 2018, 02:26:08 pm »
And that's another thing. It's a reasonable bet that whichever side doesn't win the league this season WILL win the CL. There certainly aren't any better teams in it than ourselves and City, and City have a problem with a fan base that apparently couldn't give a toss about the CL, while from manager on up their whole structure is desperate for it.

European Cups are the pinnacle of club football, and I'd never pass up an opportunity for us to win it. Barca have been dominating in Spain in the league in comparison to Real, but they wouldn't give up any of the 4 European Cups they've won in recent years for a league title.

Obviously I want us to win the league, to get the monkey of our back so to speak, but the league imo will never be bigger than winning the European Cup on a global stage. It's where the club cements it's legacy worldwide.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 31, 2018, 02:38:04 pm »

European Cups are the pinnacle of club football, and I'd never pass up an opportunity for us to win it. Barca have been dominating in Spain in the league in comparison to Real, but they wouldn't give up any of the 4 European Cups they've won in recent years for a league title.

Obviously I want us to win the league, to get the monkey of our back so to speak, but the league imo will never be bigger than winning the European Cup on a global stage. It's where the club cements it's legacy worldwide.

True - but the PL has the most global appeal of all the big leagues (outside of the El Classico matches).