Author Topic: On the Red Sox stadium (Fenway Park)  (Read 17210 times)

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
On the Red Sox stadium (Fenway Park)
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:58:09 pm »
There is massive flags on the walls with each year they have won the World Series. I'd love that for the PL at anfield, looks so classy.

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:03:42 pm by El Rey »
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
Re: On the Red Sox stadium (Fenway Park)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 09:59:54 pm »
would we have enough room?
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »
Not a bad idea !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 10:04:06 pm »
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 10:17:02 pm »
I dont like that idea at all.

We dont need to remind people how many titles we have won over the last 40yrs. It looks tacky!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline JohnOK

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:36:29 pm »
There is massive flags on the walls with each year they have won the World Series. I'd love that for the PL at anfield, looks so classy.

What are your thoughts?

I bet they never liked it before 2004 as it reminded them they hadn't won it in 86 years!

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:42:32 pm »
Works well for them, not sure its the right thing for us.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 10:46:05 pm »

What are your thoughts?

A blank wall
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »
Arsenal have all the years they won trophies at the Emirates dotted around the stadium.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 12:11:06 am »
Arsenal have all the years they won trophies at the Emirates dotted around the stadium.

Arsenal are also in my mind small time.

Offline Naggers

• Main Stander
  • Leggydd We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 12:33:18 am »
Small time.

A Liverbird upon my chest.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 08:17:20 am »
Looks tacky i think

Offline YayaP

• Is John McEnroe.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 05:29:02 pm »
Looks good when you're actually there, not saying it would work at Anfield.....but it does look classy on that brick side of the stadium, its quite common at American sporting venues
"I belong to a special club, I live with special people, this is a privilege, this is pure happiness." -Gerard Houllier

“When they start talking and talking about us, it shows they are worried about playing Liverpool,” - Rafa Benitez

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
can i have my old name back please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 12:34:53 pm »
Looks good when you're actually there, not saying it would work at Anfield.....but it does look classy on that brick side of the stadium, its quite common at American sporting venues

Agreed, it does look good in person.

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 12:15:50 am »

It's a great idea, there's nothing tacky about it IMHO. One could argue that the sporting world is the one place where you SHOULD be reminding those who come to watch of your achievements, and your history.

*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 11:06:10 am »
Check out the latest Ben Affleck film "The Town", fenway park is extensively shown as a key part of the story.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44:20 pm »
Tacky.

Some of are fans dont like the odd piss take song e.g. "who are ya". So I dont see flags going down well
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 03:13:30 pm »
Curious question? Any Red Sox fans on here want to explain what is the significence of a couple of those banners being blue not red? It just looks odd.

On the subject, I think that in one way it looks ok, but in another quite tacky. I think that in what context they were displayed, and where in the stadium etc.

If you want to have a penis envy competition, have a replica of the league trophy, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League trophy, UEFA Super Cup etc. on display in every stand at every game.
Build a vandal proof glass case inside each stand to fit one trophy, and then rotate the trophy's between stands on any given game.

So in any given game, the fans can stand next to a trophy and be photo'd etc.
Those who are regular match goers will get to see all of the trophy's in the one stand, every half a dozen games or so.

Would be interesting on derby day though to see old big ears under armed guard in the Anny Road for our  neighbours to admire. ;D

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 03:35:01 pm »
Just a guess but Maybe the Red flags are the years they won the World Series and the Blue maybe the division or something?

I think it's right that they should be proud of the titles they've won and i'd imagine when they win a world series there would be a big bunch of fans making the trip down to fenway to see the new flag being hung and the trophy being on parade.

I don't think the replica trophies is a good idea at Anfield as that's the whole point of doing the museum and stadium tour.
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline AlaEdwCir

• Boys Pen
  • The King
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 03:42:59 pm »
i like the flags at fenway that show the years we won the championship. those are the red ones. all the blue ones show when they lost to the champion, ie came in second. dont like that. do we really want a banner showing our 2nd palce finish in 08/09? no.
His armband proved he was a Red...

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 03:54:32 pm »
Curious question? Any Red Sox fans on here want to explain what is the significence of a couple of those banners being blue not red? It just looks odd.

The red ones are for World Series wins. They have seven of those. The blue are for American League championships (the World Series is played between the American and National League champs). White ones are for Division titles (there are currently three regional Divisions in the American League). The banners signify the highest success they had in a year, so if they won a World Series they wouldn't also hang an AL banner.

The one exception is 1904. You see an AL banner, but in fact the NL winner refused the challenge to play the AL winning Red Sox, so we fans tend to think of ourselves as 1904 World Series winners by default.

The banners actually look very nice in person. Fenway used to be a giant mix of brick and green - a little drab. The banners add some nice splashes of color to the building. Considering that I don't hang draperies of any sort in my house, that's quite a compliment!  :D

Here a big picture of them all: http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1326831925068654856ASSChQ

Another shot: http://www.preciseseating.com/fenwaypark_banners1.jpg
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:42:05 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »
i like the flags at fenway that show the years we won the championship. those are the red ones. all the blue ones show when they lost to the champion, ie came in second. dont like that. do we really want a banner showing our 2nd palce finish in 08/09? no.

I agree. The Boston Celtics are famous for their 17 NBA Championship banners hanging from the rafters at Boston Garden, but that's ALL they hang. Unless they win the ultimate title, no banner goes up.

If Liverpool ever did something similar (and I'm not saying they should), they should follow the Boston Celtics model instead of the Red Sox method.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 04:34:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies fella's.

I was just curious as to the different colours, and why, as it just looks a little bit random.

Cheers for the link, soxfan. It kind of puts the banners in a context, which the original posted photo didn't.

With that in mind, I still think that the idea is still a little too 'American', for a lot of our fans to like straight away. As a club we are fiercely independant, and endevour to keep our own unique identity. We certainly like to distance ourselves from the many other Football clubs fans within the UK.

Having seen the banners in context, I actually quite like the idea, but where you would display them on the current Anfield, or a new stadium, which  would make or break the concept.

In the above link, the fact that they are spread out down the sidewalk kind of gives them 'pressence'.

I'm not sure the same would be achievable at Anfield, if they were spread out along a carpark.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:41:48 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 06:20:37 pm »
Wouldn't mind a mural of 5 European Cups and 18 Leagues in the away end with "This is Anfield. Home of England's most successful football club" underneath it.

While we still can, like.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 04:00:00 pm »
I agree. The Boston Celtics are famous for their 17 NBA Championship banners hanging from the rafters at Boston Garden, but that's ALL they hang. Unless they win the ultimate title, no banner goes up.

If Liverpool ever did something similar (and I'm not saying they should), they should follow the Boston Celtics model instead of the Red Sox method.

Definitely agree.  Although, celebrating a pennant win (coming second) in a season is definitely a big deal.  Decades ago, if you won the pennant, you won your league...the world series was a huge deal no doubt, but they'd add up the wins-losses at the end of the season, and whoever had the highest count, won the league pennant.  Much the same way they do in football for the league.  No doubt you know that by your name.  :)

Offline decisivemoment

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 12:25:26 am »
Banners from the rafters is a common thing in America at all levels of sport -- high school, university/college, professional.  State titles in high school sport.  Regional league titles in university sport.  National championships in the pros.  Banners on the outside of the stadium, not so much.  I think it's sort of a morale boost at Fenway because of how long the Red Sox went without a title and how many horrible, excruciating, embarrassing moments they went through in the process.  It's like tending to an old wound.  For us, 20 years in the league and five in the CL isn't close to 86, after all.

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 03:53:16 pm »
Banners from the rafters is a common thing in America at all levels of sport -- high school, university/college, professional.  State titles in high school sport.  Regional league titles in university sport.  National championships in the pros.  Banners on the outside of the stadium, not so much.  I think it's sort of a morale boost at Fenway because of how long the Red Sox went without a title and how many horrible, excruciating, embarrassing moments they went through in the process.  It's like tending to an old wound.  For us, 20 years in the league and five in the CL isn't close to 86, after all.

I agree in part, but let me add...as I said above, it also was an aesthetic choice too. The banners added some color to the side of a fairly drab green and brick building. If you were to drive down that street now versus 10 years ago, you'd definitely appreciate the current view much better.  NESV has done a wonderful job in sprucing up Fenway. The game experience for fans is improved quite a bit from a decade ago.

Click around on this page and you'll find lots of info amplifying my point: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expIds=17259,26637,27113,27284,27357,52728&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=fenway+park+improvements&cp=15&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Obv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1579&bih=1072
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 4, 2010, 07:35:39 pm »
― Christine Szymanski

Offline SamiSamiHyypia

• Kopite
  • Justice For The 96
    • The Homes Of Football
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 09:33:21 am »
Looks very impressive. Like the idea of having the green monster there too.

Not a fan of those banners at Fenway though, nothing against them in Boston but I wouldn't like to see them at Anfield.

I can confirm that on this subject at least, there is an almost cultish obsession, which I find quite unnerving.
Cult Of Lucas - Proud Member

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 04:04:05 pm »
I think its a good idea having the banners there - remind the oposition what they are up against, the greatest team in England and one of the greatest on the world.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline JWAlonso

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 06:33:57 pm »
I think its a good idea having the banners there - remind the oposition what they are up against, the greatest team in England and one of the greatest on the world.

This.
"At The End Of The Storm, There Is A Golden Sky"

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 08:22:11 pm »

The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »
Do we have to remind people who we are? the banners on the kop come matchday will do for me

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2010, 09:08:06 am »
There is now a page showing photos and video of all Fenway Park improvements since Henry & Co. took over. $40M being spent this offseason. A total of $285M since 2002.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/history/improvements_intro.jsp
― Christine Szymanski

Offline kagij

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 12:01:24 am »
And it's quite amusing to see nothing there since 2005.

Sadly, ours would be equally amusing for opposition fans now.

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 02:02:23 pm »

Offline DougLFC94

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »
not many then lol

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #38 on: April 2, 2011, 12:52:11 pm »
A reminder to those who missed the film at the cinema ( and there were many!), "The Town" is now out on DVD and shows Fenway Park extensively with several external elevation shots, ball park and internal scenes.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #39 on: April 2, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »
The Red Sox are building a new spring training site, to be completed in 2012. Here are some artist renderings and a recent article.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=A4&Dato=20100225&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=2250804&Ref=PH

http://www.news-press.com/article/20101019/BUSINESS/10190330/Sox-site-building-economics-examined

Hmmm.... six "soccer" pitches at the Red Sox spring training complex?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.