Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5731291 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger's history - now Unai Emery DIS-appointed
« Reply #54440 on: November 29, 2019, 09:43:55 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54441 on: November 29, 2019, 10:37:11 pm »
Yep. Increasingly in modern football, if a club isn't being run right, you won't compete, simple as that. It doesn't matter what manager or players you get in, you will still struggle against clubs that are being run properly.
Clubs are such complex and multi-faceted things nowadays, dependent on so many people being good at what they do, with the best people in the right positions and all motivated towards the same goal. From physios, data analysts, nutritionists, scouts, medical staff, coaches, director of football etc.

It's no coincidence that the top 3 in the league right now, are all very well run clubs, with a clear focus and solid structure. Everything is finely tuned to make sure the team is operating at its best.
To do that requires a real will and determination from the top.
You just don't see that at clubs like Arsenal and Man United currently, which is why they're struggling. It's not enough to just throw some money at the transfer market and get some big name manager in, hoping things will work out.

Im not sure I agree with you here to a certain extent. For me, the manager is the major catalyst for setting the tone at the club. Look at Leicester for example, they are so brilliantly run that they had just been beaten 4-1 at home to Palace and were 11th or something in the league when Rodgers took over.

Once the manager fits, everything seems to function well. All it takes is for results to go wrong though, and everything at the club gets questioned. Obviously the other departments are important, I'm not denying that, but the results on the park seems to determine how well a club is run off the park, and they can swing at any time, look at Spurs as a good example.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #54442 on: November 29, 2019, 10:50:13 pm »
Maybe we will learn from Man Utd and Arsenal, and when Klopp goes, we will bring in Christian Poulsen to manage the club.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #54443 on: November 29, 2019, 11:05:50 pm »
What`s the problem with the stadium? It started before the Raiders new one in Vegas (which is supposedly on budget and ahead of time).
Have you seen how fast stuff gets built in Vegas?
Especially if you're backed by someone who's shook Sinatra's hand....
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54444 on: November 30, 2019, 01:00:24 am »
Allegri was my first choice before Emery came, he still is. I wouldn't mind Pochettino either. As for Emery, a thoroughly decent and respectful man, just not quite good enough as an Arsenal manager,.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #54445 on: November 30, 2019, 01:17:20 am »
You'd have to say Arsene would have done better with the players.

I honestly think emery just never learned English very well and he has a heavy accent, plus hes boring and he drones on slowly and hes just hard to understand sometimes and after a while it gets a bit annoying and you just tune him right out.  Think the fans the players the media everybody just began to not take him seriously, even though he did seem to have ideas at first. Kind of a strange thing.

God knows who they get. Poch would get the fume going all right  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #54446 on: November 30, 2019, 04:13:48 am »
Maybe we will learn from Man Utd and Arsenal, and when Klopp goes, we will bring in Christian Poulsen to manage the club.
Why? What's wrong with Paul Konchesky?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54447 on: November 30, 2019, 04:16:27 am »
Did PoP make it to their shortlist of 12? Shame if he didn't...

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #54448 on: November 30, 2019, 04:24:57 am »
Did PoP make it to their shortlist of 12? Shame if he didn't...

I'm waiting on the Everton job...
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54449 on: November 30, 2019, 05:21:40 am »
Their fans really think they can get whoever they want. Considering how toxic is their fanbase, i very much doubt that the likes of Alegri or Pochetino want to go there.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54450 on: November 30, 2019, 05:47:53 am »
Nah, mate, you have it more complicated. You want Brandon to get the Arsenal job (where have I read that) and then you get the Leicester job to kick City into oblivion.

;D

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54451 on: November 30, 2019, 06:25:04 am »
Nah, mate, you have it more complicated. You want Brandon to get the Arsenal job (where have I read that) and then you get the Leicester job to kick City into oblivion.

;D

How do you know pop isn't Brendan. We don't know who he really is, could even be fat Sam . Both cant sing or dance. Actually pop knows tactics so wouldn't be fat Sam.
I wouldn't mind pop at arsenal, but not if he's Rodgers, there's something about Rodgers that winds me up, it's as if he's trying to do a Shankly impersonation every time he talks. Good coach though.
Pop also comes across as arrogant. I always felt he was using rawk as a stepping stone. I wonder what kind of reception he 'll get when he gets back here, kissed the badge and everything,  and now he's going to manage arsenal.

Let's face it, pop is everything that's wrong with modern football.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54452 on: November 30, 2019, 06:26:31 am »
Their fans really think they can get whoever they want. Considering how toxic is their fanbase, i very much doubt that the likes of Alegri or Pochetino want to go there.

Don't think it'll be the fan base that stops them. More the lack of ambition , certainly in allegris case, poch is used to that so there  night be a chance.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54453 on: November 30, 2019, 06:32:02 am »
How do you know pop isn't Brendan. We don't know who he really is, could even be fat Sam . Both cant sing or dance. Actually pop knows tactics so wouldn't be fat Sam.
I wouldn't mind pop at arsenal, but not if he's Rodgers, there's something about Rodgers that winds me up, it's as if he's trying to do a Shankly impersonation every time he talks. Good coach though.
Pop also comes across as arrogant. I always felt he was using rawk as a stepping stone. I wonder what kind of reception he 'll get when he gets back here, kissed the badge and everything,  and now he's going to manage arsenal.

Let's face it, pop is everything that's wrong with modern football.

But think of the Speedos sales!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54454 on: November 30, 2019, 06:38:49 am »
You'd have to say Arsene would have done better with the players.

I honestly think emery just never learned English very well and he has a heavy accent, plus hes boring and he drones on slowly and hes just hard to understand sometimes and after a while it gets a bit annoying and you just tune him right out.  Think the fans the players the media everybody just began to not take him seriously, even though he did seem to have ideas at first. Kind of a strange thing.

God knows who they get. Poch would get the fume going all right  ;D

Wenger finished 6th and 5th in his last two seasons, so suggesting that he would do much better with relatively the same players he had is weird.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #54455 on: November 30, 2019, 06:39:33 am »

Sunderland...

Earn your badges, show your methods could work on a cold night at Roker.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #54456 on: November 30, 2019, 07:09:07 am »
Probably best to let Moyes go in as caretaker manager. After a spell of running dem laps, the players will be screaming out for your work on the ball.
Your toughest job will need making it not too obvious you are throwing the Liverpool games.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54457 on: November 30, 2019, 07:17:27 am »
Probably best to let Moyes go in as caretaker manager. After a spell of running dem laps, the players will be screaming out for your work on the ball.
Your toughest job will need making it not too obvious you are throwing the Liverpool games.

I feel it's best to hide that in plain sight, by doing a Hodgson-esque "it'll be a famous victory if we only lose 4-0 to Liverpool tomorrow" before every game. No-one would ever suspect.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54458 on: November 30, 2019, 07:46:32 am »
I feel it's best to hide that in plain sight, by doing a Hodgson-esque "it'll be a famous victory if we only lose 4-0 to Liverpool tomorrow" before every game. No-one would ever suspect.
"The Reds are expecting a tough battle out there today, so let's not give them one. I want to see you flinch from every tackle, shirk every challenge, and if the ball comes near us, run away. If we do this we'll confuse the living daylights out of them, and might get away with a drubbing. And that would be utopia, eh, lads?"
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54459 on: November 30, 2019, 08:30:51 am »

Allegri, Poch, Arteta, Nuno, Rodgers, Rafa, Vieira...its hardly a list of the elite of the elite. I don't think that's too unrealistic a shortlist at this present time. Sure, some are easier to get than others, some ultimately might turn it down, but I think all would at least be interested.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54460 on: November 30, 2019, 09:19:43 am »
Allegri was my first choice before Emery came, he still is. I wouldn't mind Pochettino either. As for Emery, a thoroughly decent and respectful man, just not quite good enough as an Arsenal manager,.
No way they'll risk appointing Allegri. He hardly speaks a word of English, and that was one of the problems with Emery. Amazed that some of the bookies made him odds on. [emoji23]

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54461 on: November 30, 2019, 09:32:17 am »
Are they really considering Vieira? He is sitting around relegation zone with Nice. I sure hope he gets the job.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54462 on: November 30, 2019, 10:11:28 am »
Both Spurs and Arsenal manager got sacked in the same month, what is the odd of this happening?
Believer

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54463 on: November 30, 2019, 10:17:41 am »
Both Spurs and Arsenal manager got sacked in the same month, what is the odd of this happening?
100%?

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #54465 on: November 30, 2019, 11:06:48 am »
Allegri, Poch, Arteta, Nuno, Rodgers, Rafa, Vieira...its hardly a list of the elite of the elite. I don't think that's too unrealistic a shortlist at this present time. Sure, some are easier to get than others, some ultimately might turn it down, but I think all would at least be interested.

Doesn't it slightly concern you that the board don't seem to have any clear idea of the type of manager that they presently need? Because if that was us I would be seriously worried at that. I said before the Arsenal Board has got to improve with its decision making. It can only do that when it knows exactly what sort to club it wants to be.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54466 on: November 30, 2019, 11:27:21 am »
Doesn't it slightly concern you that the board don't seem to have any clear idea of the type of manager that they presently need? Because if that was us I would be seriously worried at that. I said before the Arsenal Board has got to improve with its decision making. It can only do that when it knows exactly what sort to club it wants to be.

Not really. There's no 1 outstanding candidate, like there was when you hired Klopp, or when City hired Pep. There's different type of managers there, but they all have perceived pros and cons.

It's certainly a decision I wouldn't like to make. Should they go with someone known for building defence & structure to give the team what they lack, should they go with someone more open and expansive to get the best out of the attacking talent, should they hire someone experienced, is experience of the EPL a necessity, should the go with a less experienced manager but with an Arsenal link?

The fans and pundits have their own differing views, even on here there's differing views of what's needed. All this is complicated by the fact it's harder to get targets mid season.

Hypothetically if Klopp had to leave just now, do you think there's an outstanding candidate to replace him? Who would the names in the frame be?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54467 on: November 30, 2019, 12:14:19 pm »
Not really. There's no 1 outstanding candidate, like there was when you hired Klopp, or when City hired Pep. There's different type of managers there, but they all have perceived pros and cons.

It's certainly a decision I wouldn't like to make. Should they go with someone known for building defence & structure to give the team what they lack, should they go with someone more open and expansive to get the best out of the attacking talent, should they hire someone experienced, is experience of the EPL a necessity, should the go with a less experienced manager but with an Arsenal link?

The fans and pundits have their own differing views, even on here there's differing views of what's needed. All this is complicated by the fact it's harder to get targets mid season.

Hypothetically if Klopp had to leave just now, do you think there's an outstanding candidate to replace him? Who would the names in the frame be?

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the point about there being no outstanding candidate like Klopp or Guardiola, but that shouldn't detract from the idea that they should have a philosophy set down in how they want to play. As you point out yourself the pundits and fans have differing points of view in what they want to see. But surely those at the top should have a clear idea of how they want to see the club playing and developing. If they don't you are just going to continue going from manager to manager and getting further away. One of the reason I have always admired Arsenal is they have always seemed to be well organised upstairs, but at the moment you are badly drifting. As far as this season is concerned you are probably best to go down caretaker manager route until there is a clearer idea of how those at the top, want the club to proceed.

Two other points, you have a DOF now don't you? Also it's what happens with Ozil which could be key as well, to an outsider he seems to be at the heart of some of the more toxic going's on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe shifting him out is something that needs to be done. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:22:18 pm by jillc »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #54468 on: November 30, 2019, 12:17:35 pm »

Two other points, you have a DOF now don't you? Also it's what happens with Ozil which could be key as well, to an outsider he seems to be at the heart of some of the more toxic going's on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe shafting him out is something that needs to be done.

Shifted surely, unless you are advocating impalement as a way of deterring any other malcontents? ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54469 on: November 30, 2019, 12:21:38 pm »
Shifted surely, unless you are advocating impalement as a way of deterring any other malcontents? ;D

I am on my tablet its keeps changing the spelling!!  ;D

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #54470 on: November 30, 2019, 12:31:10 pm »
I am on my tablet its keeps changing the spelling!!  ;D

You had it right the first time.. ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54471 on: November 30, 2019, 12:39:50 pm »
You had it right the first time.. ;D

I'm not changing it again, I'm sure the meaning is quite clear.  ;D

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54472 on: November 30, 2019, 01:22:39 pm »
It's more a case of Ozil shafting the club right now, with all that cash he's getting.  :D

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #54473 on: November 30, 2019, 01:24:22 pm »
I am in the running for the Arsenal job. Allegedly.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54474 on: November 30, 2019, 01:37:54 pm »

There's a chinese proverb, it says "per aspera ad astra" , which means "winning without winning".
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54475 on: November 30, 2019, 01:39:04 pm »

Are you going to send them down POP?  8)

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54476 on: November 30, 2019, 09:25:54 pm »

Didn't he get the Westeros gig? Pretty awful job I know, but he didn't go all that way for nothing.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #54477 on: December 1, 2019, 12:52:25 am »
Wenger finished 6th and 5th in his last two seasons, so suggesting that he would do much better with relatively the same players he had is weird.

Well ok then, no worse anyway. the whole thing is they threw him out as stale, outdated, not up to snuff anymore and the new guy sucked worse imo. Its true he wasn't doing that great at the end but they didn't get much of a bounce after seeing him off was what i was getting at. Not what was expected anyway.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54478 on: December 1, 2019, 12:58:07 am »
Well ok then, no worse anyway. the whole thing is they threw him out as stale, outdated, not up to snuff anymore and the new guy sucked worse imo. Its true he wasn't doing that great at the end but they didn't get much of a bounce after seeing him off was what i was getting at. Not what was expected anyway.

You are right but that doesn't mean getting rid of Wenger was the wrong thing to do. he was part of the problem, he stagnated and couldnt resolve their issues. Arsenal then proceeded to find the wrong guy to replace him. Both things can be true no?
« Last Edit: December 1, 2019, 01:07:00 am by deFacto »

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54479 on: December 1, 2019, 04:28:01 am »
I have my doubts as to whether the Arsenal board can get the decision right, so many clubs seem to have little idea of what sort of manager they actually need. One thing is for sure if they get the next appointment wrong, they will be in real trouble.
Agree. In today’s football, the team behind the team is just as important as the team on the field. The glory days of Dein and Wenger are long gone. As I said when they casted off Wenger, this is no easy fix and it’s not getting any easier.
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur