Author Topic: Gini Wijnaldum  (Read 59067 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gini Wijnaldum
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2021, 10:42:19 pm »
I have based Gini being difficult to negotiate with because he has continually failed to agree personal terms with clubs. He wanted to join Spurs but couldn't agree personal terms. He wanted to stay at Liverpool but couldn't agree personal terms. He wanted to join Barca but couldn't agree personal terms.

I would say there was a pattern, wouldn't you.

Using your logic the pattern is failed to agree with Spurs, but did agree with Liverpool. Failed to agree with Barca, but did agree with PSG. Failed to agree new terms with us, but did agree terms with Newcastle.

So it's 50/50. Meaning if you think that's enough to label him difficult to negotiate with (because of three examples), you must also think he's easy to negotiate (because of three other examples).

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2021, 10:43:44 pm »
Gini seemed to agree a pretty reasonable contract for Liverpool in the first place, how difficult could he be! He always did say it was talking to Klopp that was the difference maker between here and Spurs.

I reckon his agent is a bit shit though, cos there should have been pressure from him 2 years into Gini’s time here to negotiate a new contract.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2021, 10:47:58 pm »
In addition, not only did Gini not reach terms with Spurs, the two clubs didn't reach terms either. When Klopp reached out to Gini, we and Newcastle reached to an agreement 3 days later, and he didn't think about twice joining us. This is from his own words, sounds like such a difficult lad to deal with right? :D

From the horses mouth.

"I went to Mauricio Pochettino's house before I spoke to Liverpool," Wijnaldum told Dutch magazine VI in 2016.

"After the meeting I told my agent 'I'm going to join Spurs'. Pochettino is a terrific manager, if you look at the way his teams play. I was impressed with what he had to say."

"He set out his way of working and I was convinced he could improve any player no matter what age they are.

"His method gives players such specific duties they become better as a result.

"I saw Spurs as being a very good fit for me - but we were unable to agree financial terms with them.

Liverpool offered him more wages and he joined, PSG offered him more wages and he binned off Barca, again there is a theme.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2021, 10:50:39 pm »
From the horses mouth.

"I went to Mauricio Pochettino's house before I spoke to Liverpool," Wijnaldum told Dutch magazine VI in 2016.

"After the meeting I told my agent 'I'm going to join Spurs'. Pochettino is a terrific manager, if you look at the way his teams play. I was impressed with what he had to say."

"He set out his way of working and I was convinced he could improve any player no matter what age they are.

"His method gives players such specific duties they become better as a result.

"I saw Spurs as being a very good fit for me - but we were unable to agree financial terms with them.

Liverpool offered him more wages and he joined, PSG offered him more wages and he binned off Barca, again there is a theme.

"I had a really good conversation with Pochettino. But we didn't come to an agreement. Not just me – Newcastle also didn't come to an agreement with Tottenham," Wijnaldum told the PFA.

"When I spoke with Jurgen he made me feel really good. He gave me a lot of confidence because he said he liked my way of playing football.

"Three days after our meeting they had reached a deal and I didn't think twice. This is one of the biggest clubs in the world. I wanted to make the transfer and I'm happy that I did."

HOW DARE HE look out for himself and his family!  :D

Yes there is a theme, knowing your self-worth, undoubtedly you have painted it as a negative thing and without knowing fuck all as I said, came to the conclusion that he wanted to run his contract down to begin with.

As I said you clearly have an issue with him.

Non the less, back to my main point, he's the 2nd best midfielder at PSG based on ability. Whether he settles, remains to be seen, however as of now, his quality and ability is better than the players mentioned earlier.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2021, 11:02:42 pm »
Using your logic the pattern is failed to agree with Spurs, but did agree with Liverpool. Failed to agree with Barca, but did agree with PSG. Failed to agree new terms with us, but did agree terms with Newcastle.

So it's 50/50. Meaning if you think that's enough to label him difficult to negotiate with (because of three examples), you must also think he's easy to negotiate (because of three other examples).

He left Feyenoord to join PSV for more wages, He left PSV who had just won the Dutch title to join Newcastle for more wages. He then turned down Spurs because of wages. Then got more wages to join Liverpool. He then turned down Liverpool's contract offer because he wanted more.

He was then set to join Barca until PSG offered him more wages.

He has been a great servant for Liverpool but let's not kid ourselves the reason he is not here is down to money.

He has jumped ship from a Club with a great atmosphere and an exceptional manager to join the shitshow at PSG. As I said earlier, the grass isn't always greener
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2021, 11:10:28 pm »
He left Feyenoord to join PSV for more wages, He left PSV who had just won the Dutch title to join Newcastle for more wages. He then turned down Spurs because of wages. Then got more wages to join Liverpool. He then turned down Liverpool's contract offer because he wanted more.

He has been a great servant for Liverpool but let's not kid ourselves the reason he is not here is down to money.

He has jumped ship from a Club with a great atmosphere and an exceptional manager to join the shitshow at PSG. As I said earlier, the grass isn't always greener

I was disagreeing with your assertion that he was difficult to negotiate with, and pointed out that with your evidence for that you could also claim he was easy to negotiate with.

But now you bring this up, and lookking at the pattern you've spun (offer more money) it seems like he's actually really easy to negotiate with!

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2021, 11:16:17 pm »

Clearly you know everything

You are one amusing character I give you that  :D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2021, 11:17:06 pm »
I was disagreeing with your assertion that he was difficult to negotiate with, and pointed out that with your evidence for that you could also claim he was easy to negotiate with.

But now you bring this up, and lookking at the pattern you've spun (offer more money) it seems like he's actually really easy to negotiate with!

How dare he look to make more money when given the opportunity, just like 99.9 percent of footballers do  :D clearly that also means he wanted to run down his contract from the get go.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2021, 11:22:07 pm »
"I had a really good conversation with Pochettino. But we didn't come to an agreement. Not just me – Newcastle also didn't come to an agreement with Tottenham," Wijnaldum told the PFA.

"When I spoke with Jurgen he made me feel really good. He gave me a lot of confidence because he said he liked my way of playing football.

"Three days after our meeting they had reached a deal and I didn't think twice. This is one of the biggest clubs in the world. I wanted to make the transfer and I'm happy that I did."

HOW DARE HE look out for himself and his family!  :D

Yes there is a theme, knowing your self-worth, undoubtedly you have painted it as a negative thing and without knowing fuck all as I said, came to the conclusion that he wanted to run his contract down to begin with.

As I said you clearly have an issue with him.

Non the less, back to my main point, he's the 2nd best midfielder at PSG based on ability. Whether he settles, remains to be seen, however as of now, his quality and ability is better than the players mentioned earlier.

Why would Spurs agree a deal with Newcastle when Gini had turned down their personal terms. Spurs first choice was Gini they then ended up paying Newcastle £5m more for Sissoko.

As for Gini being PSG's 2nd best midfield player, that remains to be seen. We don't even know where Pochetino sees him playing. He plays as a controller for Liverpool but as a far more attacking player for the Netherlands. For me Gini and Verratti maybe too similar to play together in a two.

If Pochetino goes for a double pivot and a 4-2-3-1 which is his favoured formation then I could see him going for a ball winner alongside Verratti. If you look at Spurs then he usually went with Wanyama or Dier in his double pivot alongside a more creative player.

It wouldn't surprise me considering Verratti's injury problems if Gini is a like for like backup for the more creative role in the double pivot.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2021, 11:24:31 pm »

Good point.  ;D

Although Daniel Levy and Michael Edwards may disagree.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2021, 11:28:59 pm »
How dare he look to make more money when given the opportunity, just like 99.9 percent of footballers do  :D clearly that also means he wanted to run down his contract from the get go.

I don't have a problem with Players looking out for himself. The point I was making is that the grass isn't always greener. Gini was an automatic pick at Liverpool.

That may not be the case at PSG. If Pochetino doesn't start well this season, then he could be gone by Xmas. Then a different manager could come in with different ideas.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2021, 11:29:31 pm »
As for Gini being PSG's 2nd best midfield player, that remains to be seen. We don't even know where Pochetino sees him playing. He plays as a controller for Liverpool but as a far more attacking player for the Netherlands. For me Gini and Verratti maybe too similar to play together in a two.

As I said, over and over again, presently based on ability he is. If any of midfielders not named Verratti, were playing for us, I would be extremely disappointed because they are average.

Why would Spurs agree a deal with Newcastle when Gini had turned down their personal terms. Spurs first choice was Gini they then ended up paying Newcastle £5m more for Sissoko.

The same reason countless clubs have agreed with clubs despite their players not agreeing with terms.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2021, 11:29:37 pm »
There is logic to Al point's here.

I think that it doesn't take away from the people saying we should have offered more....the issue isn't just offering more - it's also the length of agreement that he wanted - I think that's what pushed the deal into a territory where we wouldn't take it.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2021, 11:31:09 pm »
There is logic to Al point's here.

I think that it doesn't take away from the people saying we should have offered more....the issue isn't just offering more - it's also the length of agreement that he wanted - I think that's what pushed the deal into a territory where we wouldn't take it.

Right, in reality we have no idea, neither does Al. Claiming that he wanted to see out his contract and never wanted to extend to begin with, is also again based on fuck all.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2021, 11:37:35 pm »
Right, in reality we have no idea, neither does Al. Claiming that he wanted to see out his contract and never wanted to extend to begin with, is also again based on fuck all.

also a good point.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2021, 11:53:24 pm »
also a good point.

That's it, in to Al's Black Book for you... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2021, 06:52:54 pm »
Goal machine

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2021, 06:59:36 pm »
Imagine being a PSG supporter and knowing he was coming your way.

Although there's bound to be one or two who ask, "Qu'est-ce qu'il fait?"
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2021, 07:29:11 pm »
How dare he look to make more money when given the opportunity, just like 99.9 percent of footballers people do

Fixed this since it doesn't just relate to footballers. It relates to everyone. It's probably even more exaggerated in footballers since they have a short career that can be curtailed at any point due to serious injury.

But generally if you work in an industry where your skills are sought after then you'll undoubtedly have opportunities to move companies, and maybe location, for more money.

Not everyone will take a job for more money on every occasion. But if you were offered a job at a slightly less illustrious company but in a good location that doubled or trebled your wages over a longer contract, then most people would be highly tempted to take the job. That's all Wijnaldum has done in taking a job at PSG ahead of Barcelona or Liverpool.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2021, 07:34:42 pm »
Fixed this since it doesn't just relate to footballers. It relates to everyone. It's probably even more exaggerated in footballers since they have a short career that can be curtailed at any point due to serious injury.

But generally if you work in an industry where your skills are sought after then you'll undoubtedly have opportunities to move companies, and maybe location, for more money.

Not everyone will take a job for more money on every occasion. But if you were offered a job at a slightly less illustrious company but in a good location that doubled or trebled your wages over a longer contract, then most people would be highly tempted to take the job. That's all Wijnaldum has done in taking a job at PSG ahead of Barcelona or Liverpool.
Well said.

I thought the same when Torres left.

Although it hurt more at that time due to the way we were almost reliant on Nando for our goals.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2021, 07:36:25 pm »
Towards the end of a career where you’ve won the two best prizes club football can offer and will be forever revered at the club you did it at, and seeing out the last few years of it with a pick of two of the best cities in the world who’s teams want to pay you enough money to see you through the rest of your life. Plus being a good looking bastard that won’t ever age. Couldn’t get any better for him. Bet he didn’t think this would happen when he was playing for Newcastle.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2021, 07:50:57 pm »
Towards the end of a career where you’ve won the two best prizes club football can offer and will be forever revered at the club you did it at, and seeing out the last few years of it with a pick of two of the best cities in the world who’s teams want to pay you enough money to see you through the rest of your life. Plus being a good looking bastard that won’t ever age. Couldn’t get any better for him. Bet he didn’t think this would happen when he was playing for Newcastle.

I don't think anybody does playing for Newcastle.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2021, 08:40:12 pm »
Came to the EPL at the right age, to a club where he could play regularly and shine. Then moved to a bigger club as automatic starter in one of the greatest teams the league has ever seen. Won everything.

Then became captain of one of the leading footballing nations, under successive managers, for whom he will end up scoring more goals than any midfielder in their history. Will end his top-flight career playing for a coach that has wanted him for years, effectively tripling his current salary, at a club that is a shoo-in to challenge for the Champions League every year, and will captain his national team into a World Cup that they could well win.

When future generations search “how to manage your top-flight football career”, the algorithm will simply return a picture of smilin’ Gini.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:43:17 pm by FLRed67 »

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2021, 09:05:36 pm »

When future generations search “how to manage your top-flight football career”, the algorithm will simply return a picture of smilin’ Gini.

Next to a picture of handsome Xabi Alonso.

Then a picture of Coutinho sat on that plane showing how not to do it.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2021, 02:12:14 am »
You just knew he was scoring 3+ in this tournament.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2021, 06:38:56 am »
That may not be the case at PSG. If Pochetino doesn't start well this season, then he could be gone by Xmas. Then a different manager could come in with different ideas.

That's Ginis problem. Not ours.

He didn't want to extend his contract with us. For what reasons, known to us or unknown to us, it doesn't matter anymore.

He did all he could with us, won all he can with us. And never complained. That's all that matters to us as fans, and to the club, as his ex-employers.

Online Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2021, 04:41:35 pm »
When he was at Newcastle did he play in a similar way and position to how he plays with Holland now?
Why did Klopp change the way Gini played for us if it worked well for Holland?

(Wondering what Gini's 'default' / ideal position and way of playing is)

p.s. I'm hoping Holland win Euro 2020 with Gini starring.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2021, 05:09:54 pm »
When he was at Newcastle did he play in a similar way and position to how he plays with Holland now?

Gini played in an attacking position more for Newcastle, I think he finished the season with 12 goals there. I can't remember how he played in Holland prior to his move.

Why Klopp changed it compared to what he does for Holland, probably because our strengths are different than theirs and we need his other qualities elsewhere.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2021, 06:33:56 am »
He’s going to have a standout Euros isn’t he?
Like death and taxes.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2021, 01:01:38 pm »
Gini in the former players section.  :'(

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2021, 02:43:08 pm »
Has said he will wear a rainbow armband and lead the team off the pitch if there’s racist or homophobic abuse in Budapest. Great leadership (although a damning indictment of Uefa that that’s even a question!)

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2021, 03:13:45 pm »

He didn't want to extend his contract with us. For what reasons, known to us or unknown to us, it doesn't matter anymore.

He did all he could with us, won all he can with us. And never complained. That's all that matters to us as fans, and to the club, as his ex-employers.

fully agree. like klopp said. he came. he saw. and he conquered everything while he was with us and that is all that matters.

i was hoping he replicated his form for newcastle while with us but what he gave was something that nobody actually envisioned that he could do. his role with us was totally alien to most and the fact that he played it week in and week out without fuss just show how intelligent and versatile he is as a footballer. The glue to our midfield and his ball retention was critical to our possession play.

thanks gini for all the memories.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2021, 08:48:26 am »
It’s not just based on fuck all, it directly contradicts the player’s statements over the past year or so, where he repeatedly said words to the effect he desperately wants to stay and is hopeful of a compromise or resolution. Sorry Al, but calling out Gini as some sort of disingenuous mercenary plotting this outcome, is shit-stirringly delusional even by your standards.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2021, 10:14:34 am »

for the Netherlands he is playing in no 8 role (with a lot more freedom) with Marten de Roon behind him in the no 4 DCM.
In NL team he has more license to go forward runs into box and that is why he scores a lot more goals. He also has played as No 10 in diamond behind front 2 for Dutch team. If the Dutch switch from 5-3-2 to 4-3-3 we will see if he has as much freedom to go forward. I do not know how PSG play these days Posch is a 4-2-3-1 kind of guy right?

We will never really know why he did not sign an extension and when he was offered the best LFC deal. I genuinely think he was set on Barca - but they really are financially fecked at Barca with some really poor contracts after Neymar left (their salary roster is through the roof with a lot of players on big contracts -(Coutinho & Dembele very injury prone lately). Barca thought they had an agreement & were gazumped by a double your money offer from PSG - GIni will earn close to 10M a year and 165K a week net after taxes. 

really surprised he went to PSG - but the money on offer makes it a hard decision but when you are in the final big contract of your career going to PSG would have been difficult to turn down - specially when your agent gets a cut of the deal as an %

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2021, 11:31:27 am »
Gini in the former players section.  :'(

Yes, right! the first legend to leave from this team.
What a great player and what a great man.

Thanks Gini you utter legend :scarf :scarf :scarf

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2021, 11:37:04 am »

He did want to extend it. We didn't want to make him one of our highest earners. A decision which makes absolutely no sense to be honest given that he was one of our 'four captains' and played pretty much every week, but onwards and upwards eh.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2021, 11:38:01 am »
He did want to extend it. We didn't want to make him one of our highest earners. A decision which makes absolutely no sense to be honest, but onwards and upwards eh.

Dyou think he's worth £100k a week more than VVD and Salah?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2021, 11:38:52 am »
He did want to extend it. We didn't want to make him one of our highest earners. A decision which makes absolutely no sense to be honest given that he was one of our 'four captains' and played pretty much every week, but onwards and upwards eh.

Given that he's on 300k a week at PSG, I think we made the right decision.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2021, 11:38:56 am »
Dyou think he's worth £100k a week more than VVD and Salah?

No but I don't believe he would have demanded that from us to stay based on his comments and love for the club.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2021, 11:42:46 am »
Given that he's on 300k a week at PSG, I think we made the right decision.

Him being on 300k a week at PSG doesn't mean that's what he was demanding from us. I think its fair to assume he wanted parity with our top earners. You can debate whether he was worth that. I certainly don't think he's as good as VVD or Salah, but equally their next contracts will be significantly larger, too.

Ultimately paying Gini 10m a year for 3-4 years would be a more cost effective option than buying someone who probably won't be as good and certainly a better option than relying on Oxlade and Naby to finally deliver in their fifth and fourth seasons respectively.

Let's see who we buy though, then we can really judge it. I wasn't keen on letting Can go on a free until we signed Fabinho about a week later. Just can't see who is out there to replace Gini really, but recruitment is clearly one of our strong points.