Author Topic: The Daniel Sturridge  (Read 287842 times)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2018, 04:06:57 pm »
This is a really good point, so many of the younger players see Sturridge as a 'big brother'/mentor type, I reckon Rhian would flourish with Daniel giving him tips all season.
"Just smash it into the top corner Rhian, then do a little dance like thi - ah shite, me shoulder's gone. Just tell the boss I'll be back after Christmas, will you? Good lad."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2018, 04:07:53 pm »
Not to piss on the optimists chips (too much), I think it's worth remembering that with Sturridge it's not a binary 'fit' or 'not fit' that is stopping him from performing like he did four or five years ago.

If he manages to stay absolutely 100% fit, his body's potential is still absolutely nowhere near his previous level.

The hope is that when he is fit this season, he can compete with opposition defenders (with 45+ minutes out of their tank) physically and for long enough for him to be considered valuable enough by Klopp to be brought on as a sub.

If he is, then that's great news. If he's not, then it's better to give those minutes to someone else. I hope it's the former, as he has a unique ability in our squad.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2018, 04:13:19 pm »
Not to piss on the optimists chips (too much), I think it's worth remembering that with Sturridge it's not a binary 'fit' or 'not fit' that is stopping him from performing like he did four or five years ago.

If he manages to stay absolutely 100% fit, his body's potential is still absolutely nowhere near his previous level.

The hope is that when he is fit this season, he can compete with opposition defenders (with 45+ minutes out of their tank) physically and for long enough for him to be considered valuable enough by Klopp to be brought on as a sub.

If he is, then that's great news. If he's not, then it's better to give those minutes to someone else. I hope it's the former, as he has a unique ability in our squad.
All true. I may be kidding myself though, but I still reckon that a fit Sturridge is not far off the best strikers in the league. His touch and finishing still looks to be right up there.

Not really sure what I'm basing this on other the the odd appearance here and there, as he hasn't had a decent run of games in years, but I'm choosing to believe it's the case until proven otherwise.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2018, 04:18:57 pm »
He doesn't even need movement, just hang around the edge of box with that rifle of a left foot and good things will happen
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »

you are indeed pissing on peoples chips but you are spot on

pace is one thing that he has lost amid all the injuries.

its the hope that kills you with sturridge
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2018, 04:20:59 pm »
He doesn't even need movement, just hang around the edge of box with that rifle of a left foot and good things will happen
true too. one touch he can kill you
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2018, 04:23:01 pm »
All he needs is 45 minutes here, 30 minutes there.....a quick 20 here, and a short and sharp 15 minutes there.

Enough for him to take, gives bobby a break....his left foot is a wand

There's no going back for me....im so far IN
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2018, 04:27:51 pm »
I know we're all setting ourselves up for a massive fall here, but I love the fact that the very idea of a fit Daniel Sturridge still gives people joy and optimism. Something vaguely heartwarming about that, I think.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2018, 05:14:38 pm »
I know we're all setting ourselves up for a massive fall here, but I love the fact that the very idea of a fit Daniel Sturridge still gives people joy and optimism. Something vaguely heartwarming about that, I think.

It's because he's Boss.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2018, 05:27:58 pm »

Used to be a massive fall, now it feels like more like that odd step out your front door that you forget about every time even though you've lived there the last three years.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2018, 05:28:56 pm »

I agree with you. Nice to see an element of romanticism around pure technical football and a character

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2018, 05:32:56 pm »
I am sure he was gutted that he left in January and then miss the entire run to the CL final, and not be involved any way. Granted he got injured at West Brom, but being around the lads at the time who knows, he may have wanted to experience that with us.

It could be one of the reasons he is additionally motivated.

I don't think that he has ever lacked motivation,he spent the whole summer last year in America getting himself fit.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2018, 05:40:45 pm »
Won't need a whole bunch of pace against a low block. I'm ready to be disappointed.

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2018, 05:55:20 pm »
Put a bit of a shift in for a few pre season games and then back on the treatment table and visiting cool coffee shops around the north west. It beats a wet Wednesday at West Brom and he knows it.

We've been had off again.

(I would love to be wrong, when fit and interested he's world class.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:09:41 pm by DaveLFC »
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2018, 06:06:06 pm »

I don't think that he has ever lacked motivation,he spent the whole summer last year in America getting himself fit.
He spent his summer in America, living in luxury?  Is this one of those "sacrifices that professional footballers make" that I keep hearing about?
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2018, 06:13:48 pm »
Put a bit of a shift in for a few pre season games and then back on the treatment table and visiting cool coffee shops around the north west. It beats a wet Wednesday at West Brom and he knows it.

We've been had off again.

(I would love to be wrong, when fit and interested he's world class.)

So he's purposefully getting himself injured because he'd rather visit 'cool coffee shops' than play football for Liverpool? And he's successfully carried out this deception, fooling all the medical staff with made up injuries for years, until you came along and lifted the lid on this farce. Many thanks, I really didn't want to be had off again.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2018, 06:16:50 pm »
So he's purposefully getting himself injured because he'd rather visit 'cool coffee shops' than play football for Liverpool? And he's successfully carried out this deception, fooling all the medical staff with made up injuries for years, until you came along and lifted the lid on this farce. Many thanks, I really didn't want to be had off again.

You're welcome.
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2018, 06:32:40 pm »
He spent his summer in America, living in luxury?  Is this one of those "sacrifices that professional footballers make" that I keep hearing about?

Stupid comment.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2018, 06:35:46 pm »
he's always worked better with another striker doing the dirty work. Suarez got stuck in and Danny danced around. I'm wondering if Klopp has an eye on that formation we played late in the season with the front 3 plus Solanke (but Sturridge instead). Was it against Watford? Don't remember offhand.

Klopp obviously has a plan for him, and that's exciting in itself.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2018, 06:36:18 pm »
You're welcome.

Jaansonius? Is that you?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2018, 06:38:03 pm »
If motivation was a problem you can bet your bottom dollar we'd have heard about it before now. Something that Klopp wouldn't tolerate for a second.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2018, 06:48:05 pm »
If motivation was a problem you can bet your bottom dollar we'd have heard about it before now. Something that Klopp wouldn't tolerate for a second.

I think Klopp has been fairly oblique in his statements about Sturridge.
"That's what all the fuss is about"
"Sometimes you have to play through pain, because pain and injury aren't the same thing." (paraphrasing)
"Now that your fit, I'm loaning you to WBA." (paraphrasing)

Here is what I think happens. Daniel has a good pre-season and we sell him. Shop window at this time of year for a goal scorer, some mug will bite.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2018, 07:07:40 pm »
I think Klopp has been fairly oblique in his statements about Sturridge.
"That's what all the fuss is about"
"Sometimes you have to play through pain, because pain and injury aren't the same thing." (paraphrasing)
"Now that your fit, I'm loaning you to WBA." (paraphrasing)

Here is what I think happens. Daniel has a good pre-season and we sell him. Shop window at this time of year for a goal scorer, some mug will bite.
Nah don't think so, the article from the Echo and Telegraph pretty much confirmed he's staying while we're open to sell Ings and Origi.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2018, 07:33:12 pm »
Stupid comment.
Thank you for helping me to see the error of my ways.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:24 pm »
All he needs is 45 minutes here, 30 minutes there.....a quick 20 here, and a short and sharp 15 minutes there.

Enough for him to take, gives bobby a break....his left foot is a wand

There's no going back for me....im so far IN

this is how the slippery slope starts for me.  I think, surely he can give us 15-20 games as a sub where he comes on for 20-25 minutes, especially if we need a goal.  Then I start to think, surely he could play the domestic cups and give Bobby a rest.  What a run we would have in the cups with Sturridge leading the line.   Then I think, why couldn't he start 10 league games for us:  10 home games against the bus parkers where he wouldn't have to put in as much running.  His eye for goal is surely the key to unlocking the bottom teams. . . and I keep rationalizing until I have him winning the Ballon D'or next season.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:11 pm »
Domestic Cup games.
Sub appearances when we need a goal.
Heavy rotation in the winter.
Rotation in the run.
All of that adds up. I think that's why Daniel is so relaxed about game time.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:31 pm »
Nah don't think so, the article from the Echo and Telegraph pretty much confirmed he's staying while we're open to sell Ings and Origi.

I think (optimistically) we take a 20m bid for anyone of those three.
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2018, 08:41:46 pm »
I think (optimistically) we take a 20m bid for anyone of those three.

We aren't selling all 3. and out of the 3, only Sturridge has impressed, [Ings hasnt't played due to injury but he wants out]

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2018, 09:43:22 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2018, 09:44:45 pm »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2018, 09:45:48 pm »
Salah's on the wrong side.

Clearly you have much to learn about the classic four-four-fucking-two formation.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2018, 09:46:51 pm »
Clearly you have much to learn about the classic four-four-fucking-two formation.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2018, 10:05:34 pm »
Where's Benson?

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2018, 10:07:16 pm »

Great shout, he could test Sturridge's resolve this season.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2018, 10:14:56 pm »
this is how the slippery slope starts for me.  I think, surely he can give us 15-20 games as a sub where he comes on for 20-25 minutes, especially if we need a goal.  Then I start to think, surely he could play the domestic cups and give Bobby a rest.  What a run we would have in the cups with Sturridge leading the line.   Then I think, why couldn't he start 10 league games for us:  10 home games against the bus parkers where he wouldn't have to put in as much running.  His eye for goal is surely the key to unlocking the bottom teams. . . and I keep rationalizing until I have him winning the Ballon D'or next season.

;D

I've found myself saying the exact same things I did last summer,the main one being that we couldn't replace him with a player of the same qualities for less than £30-40m.

They ease at which him and Keith have clicked is just making it much worse this year.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:08 am »
Domestic Cup games.
Sub appearances when we need a goal.
Heavy rotation in the winter.
Rotation in the run.
All of that adds up. I think that's why Daniel is so relaxed about game time.

If he stays fit, as everyone has said, he’ll see plenty of match time.  The question as always is, will he stay fit? 

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2018, 01:47:59 am »

I don't think you can even imagine the sacrifice and discipline it takes to be a professional athlete. If it were as easy as you make it sound, then all of us would be doing it. Silly post.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2018, 05:48:19 am »
I think the days of shifting the team around Sturridge has long since passed but when selected I do think he should be in a front two. Play to his strengths which is when he is as close to the penalty area as possible.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2018, 08:00:27 am »
Even at full fitness, he's no longer the player he was. He's lost a hell of a lot of speed and that would kill any player, let alone one that was at one time known for his searing pace. Nevertheless, he is still blessed with technical ability and can still be a useful substitute. There's no way we should be going into the new season without adding another attacker though IMO.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Online spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2018, 08:53:29 am »
There are several aspects to take into consideration with regards to Sturridge;

1. He can't play at the intensity needed in Klopp's primary formation

2. He can't press from the front like Firmino

3. He gets injured a lot

Point 1
This is absolutely true, running around like a beast isn't in Sturridge's makeup but it should be noted that a lot of the time (heck, most of the time) the opposition will be defending deep and with have no ambition about attacking and will just wait for a set peice. In these instances pace and stamina are complete no issues and it's all about streching the opposition defenders and creating a yard of space for yourself. Sturridge is better at this than most. He has the ability to create something out of nothing for himself or someone else. Even though the rate has gone down, Sturridge nearly ALWAYS creates something and often it isn't capitalised on.

Point 2
He can't press like Firmino, that that knowledge and work around it. Sturridge is best when he is around the box and IMHO, even now there is no one better in our squad in the penalty area than Sturridge. Get players in and around him, get players to work the channels, gets to support him and he'll thrive. This doesn't have to be at the start of games it can be in the closing minutes of games. If you are calling Sturridge from the bench to save the the game and make a difference then it's clear 'plan a' has failed so there is no harm in changing the formation and playing to Sturridge's strength at that stage you have nothing to lose and it will also make you less predictable.

Point 3
No argument to counter this. It's simply a fact. So you can only manage his time to minimize the risk of injury.
We have nothing to lose and Sturridge will be highly motivated if for no other reason than to increase the interest of better clubs when his contract runs out at the end of the season.

In closing:
Pick his moments.
Manage his time.
Play to his strengths.
Surround him with players that complement him.
Don't give him things that he can't do and then be surprised when he can't do it.

Do that and he'll be fine.