Author Topic: Lucas  (Read 143596 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Lucas
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2017, 03:24:41 pm »
I don't understand the infatuation at the moment.
Loved him pre injury years ago but he's now not a particularly good player and the fact he's still here and getting games is more an indictment of our inability to build a squad than it is anything else
He seems like a fantastic person by all accounts but club "legends" should be players that win stuff and/or are elite on the pitch.

Aye pretty much this, bless him I'm sure he's a nice chap to have around but he's not a 'legend' and he certainly shouldn't be anywhere near the first team going forward. He will have good games now and then, but they are few and far between and thats clearly something we want to be moving away from.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2017, 04:26:10 pm »
Aye pretty much this, bless him I'm sure he's a nice chap to have around but he's not a 'legend' and he certainly shouldn't be anywhere near the first team going forward. He will have good games now and then, but they are few and far between and thats clearly something we want to be moving away from.

Tell Lovren to not get injured going forward. Ridiculous statement that.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2017, 04:28:40 pm »
Tell Lovren to not get injured going forward. Ridiculous statement that.

Sorry, meant next season. Obviously he'll be in the team if injuries permit this season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2017, 04:40:28 pm »
A lot of revisionism tends to be said about Lucas. Until 14/15 for instance he was still making an incredible positive difference in our league results, and indeed he was the key to our good run that ended with a home loss to the Mancs. I still remember Carragher making this analysis showing how Lucas had played in that run of games and how we got absolutely destroyed the only game (Mancs away) he had missed.

I'm not sure how long the Lucas as a CB experiment is gonna go on for, and I do think ideally we shouldn't be having to improvise players.

I remember during our heydays a mediocre midfielder, Phil 'sparrowlegs' Thompson, was moved from central midfield and went on to dominate the CB position for years. Fair do's to Klopp for seeing the same potential in Lucas.  Maybe its not improvisation but plain talent spotting.

I'm sure I'll be in a minority on here, but I personally think our back four last weekend is the best we have. I'd prefer 'same again' even when Lovren is available.

I fact, my concern in that back four is Clyne's limitations going forward.  Clyne's a solid defender, for sure, but I reckon opposition sides just leave that side of the field wide open for him, in the knowledge that 9 times out of 10 he'll do f*ck all constructive when he gets the ball.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2017, 04:43:32 pm »
Sorry, meant next season. Obviously he'll be in the team if injuries permit this season.

Gotcha. I am a huge Lucas fan but yes, I agree, I would like to see better CB options next season. Heck, I even felt this season we would be light in this position considering we aren't playing Sakho. But both Klavan and Lucas have done a better than expected job a lot of times they've been called upon (Everton, Man City, Spurs: 0 goals conceded those 3 games. One of Lucas or Klavan played as CB alongside Matip or Lovren).

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »

Yay we agree on something ;)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Lucas Leiva
« Reply #86 on: April 1, 2017, 03:16:28 pm »
Great performance today.

Maybe I'm a few stella's worse off here and viewing things with rose tinted glasses but just more of a big thank-you to lucas, his application and dedication to LFC and its likely to be his last derby then a great way to go about it. He's had his ups and downs but I think of him as a loyal servant who's always tried his best to be one with the club and city. Proper scouser.

Cheers Lucas.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Lucas Leiva
« Reply #87 on: April 1, 2017, 03:17:31 pm »
Had a really good game, put it about a bit, intercepted a lot and was as composed as he usually is.  Don't think he'll be here next season but if the injuries keep piling up he'll still be a useful option for the final matches.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 1, 2017, 03:17:54 pm »
And to think people were moaning about him before the match! Overall, he's been a dedicated and committed player for us, he doesn't deserve a lot of the crap people throw at him.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #89 on: April 1, 2017, 03:18:48 pm »
He was ace today... 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #90 on: April 1, 2017, 03:19:13 pm »
He doesn't half win a lot of headers. Excellent game. Crowd was well behind him as well.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #91 on: April 1, 2017, 03:19:35 pm »
Much prefer himin the midfield role. Was very good today!

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #92 on: April 1, 2017, 03:22:33 pm »
Imperious, he was. It was the perfect game to play him in. Credit to Klopp.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #93 on: April 1, 2017, 03:24:54 pm »
The lad is a quality #6 when pace isn't an issue.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #94 on: April 1, 2017, 03:26:27 pm »
Great performance, the way he was winning balls back through the back of players rather than giving away freekicks was quite majestic.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 1, 2017, 03:28:38 pm »
Just shows the value of having a strong squad. Most likely he'll be gone in the summer but we'll need to replace him. Had a really good game today and gave the likes of the over rated Barkley an example of how to play midfield using your brain.  Makes you wonder how good he vould have been if that knee injury hadn't limited him so much.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 1, 2017, 03:36:36 pm »
Lucas Leiva vs Everton

15 tackles
15 headed duels
3 interceptions
3 clearances
4 blocks

Lucas commanding.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 1, 2017, 03:55:18 pm »
Lucas has the best defensive brain and reading of the game of all our midfielders. He has lost his legs but when you tell him to sit and put two mobile runners alongside him in midfield, he is still a great DM.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 1, 2017, 04:01:15 pm »
Brilliant today. As evidenced in the pre match thread, some of our supporters can't, and will never see what he offers. Delighted for him and great to hear both of his chants so audible during the game.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #99 on: April 1, 2017, 04:02:30 pm »
On the stream that I was watching when Lucas did that long cross field ball in the 2nd half the commentator said the Kop gave him some stick for playing that ball.

Did I miss something what did he do wrong?

I thought he had a great game.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #100 on: April 1, 2017, 04:03:26 pm »
great to hear the crowd showing him their appreciation.  Love the song to Love is the air.   I remember being at the fernhurst carpark Blackburn away in the 09/10 season.  This lad was just getting it going on hos own with a few mates, great to see it has caught on from that day.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 1, 2017, 04:06:25 pm »
We'll never again see that Lucas who was an absolute beast mentally and physically just before his injury but as long as the other midfielders restrict players from running at him with space around him he always delivers a fine performance like today,great positioning and game intelligence from him as usual.  :)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 1, 2017, 04:11:22 pm »
Like a boss.
Oozing experience and confidence.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 1, 2017, 04:12:52 pm »
I doubted him and I shouldn't have. Has been a great servant.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #104 on: April 1, 2017, 04:23:48 pm »
I don't see why he can't stick around if he's happy to not start the majority of games. At 30, he might want some regular football as his career starts to wind down but he can certainly do a job for us against certain teams and might well play more next season in Europe. He's a leader, Klopp said himself in the post-match interview, he can play in 2 positions, can tackle, wins headers, loves the club and it looks like the South American lads really look up to him and he probably helps them off the pitch. He's a very important member of the squad, it just depends on what he wants to do as I'm sure Klopp would keep him around.

He was boss today.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #105 on: April 1, 2017, 04:28:11 pm »
A good all round performance by Lucas today, knew he wouldn't let us down, and he didn't.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 1, 2017, 04:37:06 pm »
I was worried before hand with him playing, there his legs have gone  but he did a marvelous player, one of my favorite players at the club. Proper soldier and servant.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 1, 2017, 04:56:13 pm »
Outstanding performance. I fucking love Lucas.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: April 1, 2017, 05:21:30 pm »
I take back what I thought about starting him prior to the game. Thought he was magnificent today.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #109 on: April 1, 2017, 06:12:23 pm »
I thought he was fantastic in how he handled 2nd balls and it didn't surprise me one bit because he has so much experience in this league and to this day he's still our best DM when it comes to this particular and crucial skill. He understood very well the importance of positioning closely to Lukaku and then being in time to challenge for the 2nd ball, he won most of them which completely nullify their game plan.

This gives me a bit more confidence for those 4 super tough away games to Stoke, Wba, Watford and W.Ham and if we go there with Lucas and use his qualities regarding heading and 2nd ball battles it'll give us a better chance to win these games.

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #110 on: April 1, 2017, 06:14:35 pm »
Yeah don't see why he has to leave? That said he's 'left' for Turkey or Italy about 10 times since he got here. Hope he stays until his contract runs out (next season I think). We need a bit of experience and he does a fine job whenever called upon. Quietly having a good season as a utility player.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: April 1, 2017, 06:24:19 pm »
Yeah don't see why he has to leave? That said he's 'left' for Turkey or Italy about 10 times since he got here. Hope he stays until his contract runs out (next season I think). We need a bit of experience and he does a fine job whenever called upon. Quietly having a good season as a utility player.

It runs out at the end of this season, and there's no sign that Klopp wants it extended. After being overtaken by Henderson for the base CM role last season, his best chance of earning an extension was to grab the switch to 3rd CB, but he's been overtaken there by Klavan as well. The only chance I can see is that Henderson's injury proves chronic and Klopp doesn't want to rely on chances in the transfer market, but that relies on wishing bad luck on one of our players and wanting inactivity in the summer window. Not something I'd want to see in either case. Let's just appreciate the effort he's put in over the years, and his record as the ultimate professional (I don't think anyone in the PL era has shown a more exemplary attitude, whatever one's doubts about him as a player).
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: April 1, 2017, 06:43:41 pm »
Fuck those spouting all kinds of shite before the match even started instead of actually supporting, & at least waiting until the game was over to comment on how obviously terrible his performance was.

Not for the first time, he's shut his critics right up.

Well in Lucas :)

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 1, 2017, 06:46:48 pm »
Never going to let anyone down in a derby you just have to be a bit selective with the games he's picked for. Very good today.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 1, 2017, 06:58:29 pm »
The midfield setup suited him today, like the setup we had when Alonso was still around. Two at the base it seems suits Lucas a lot more, the less he has to do laterally the better he reads the game. So often you see him coming out from the back to challenge for the defensive headers, getting ahead of Lukaku on so many occasions. But it's all about his vertical game, his anticipation suits him better when he doesn't have to turn or step back, he is still the player who likes to play on the front foot, and he's good at it.

I think Klopp will probably reassess his view on him now, his post match comments were generally positive. With injuries now to Mane, Henderson and Lallana, he'll definitely be getting the minutes. As long as Can improves his box to box game, they will complement each other well.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 1, 2017, 07:12:37 pm »
He was great today.
Bet he helps the young players not just the Brazilians too.
It's hard to know how important players really are off the field but with Lucas there does seem to be agreement he gives a lot back and knows his stuff.He seems to have a genuine football brain.
I agree he's going to be important in the run in, with our injuries and everything. Says a lot about him that none of the younger players have been seen as good enough to shift him.

Anyway, he was great today.

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #116 on: April 1, 2017, 07:13:34 pm »
Really good way to - what I'd imagine - sign off on the derby. For a few minutes around about 50-60 thought he was starting struggle Barkley turning him but he got it all together again and looked like he got a second wind.

Credit to him. That said I wouldn't be starting him over Can there and one swallow doesn't make a summer and highly doubt it'll make Klopp reassess anything. He's a good pro, good pro's can do good jobs in the right environment. Today was that.

Offline modokay

• Anny Roader
« Reply #117 on: April 1, 2017, 07:16:47 pm »
Pace is Lucas major issue,  when he loses his man he just hasn't got the legs to recover, but his discipline, positioning and anticipation is top notch. Almost a man of match performance by him, if it wasn't for Coutinho.

I think Lucas shows a lot of aspects in his game that Henderson is lacking in. What it tells me is that we need to add a top class defensive midfielder in the summer.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #118 on: April 1, 2017, 07:49:03 pm »
Pace is Lucas major issue,  when he loses his man he just hasn't got the legs to recover, but his discipline, positioning and anticipation is top notch. Almost a man of match performance by him, if it wasn't for Coutinho.

I think Lucas shows a lot of aspects in his game that Henderson is lacking in. What it tells me is that we need to add a top class defensive midfielder in the summer.

Exactly today showed how important a natural six is.

Hendo and Can are quality midfield players but they just don't have the defensive instincts or the calmness that Lucas brings to the game. Beating Lukaku in the air one moment and demanding the ball in tight situations the next. He completely bossed the midfield today.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: April 1, 2017, 07:56:59 pm »
I love the lad. Delighted things went well for him today.