Author Topic: The Jordan Pickford thread  (Read 193457 times)

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
Re: The Jordan Pickford appreciation thread
« Reply #1560 on: September 24, 2020, 03:20:58 pm »
Would it have a bar?

Yes, they'd get a second-hand one from the pub that Divock runs next door, called the "Tap Inn".
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #1561 on: September 24, 2020, 03:56:49 pm »
Woeful keeper, its great that he's Everton's to be honest.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1562 on: September 24, 2020, 04:14:20 pm »
Well when he was slagging off Allison for making mistakes he wouldn’t make, I’m sure he said to himself,
“I wonder if this criticism of a fellow professional is unkind or even unwarranted.”
Making yourself out to be some sort of wonder keeper is setting yourself up for stick when you make a mistake like The Divock Derby.

Was hilarious Pickford promptly made errors that cost them the match, the very next match after hge made that comment on Allison.

As hilarious as the Origi goal was, the howler he made, saving the ball behind his line against Newcastle last January, & then berating his defenders over it in the aftermath of that was even funnier, the Ev were 2-0 up in the 92nd minute of 4 added minutes, & finished 2-2. :lmao
#Sausages

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1563 on: September 24, 2020, 04:21:28 pm »
I doubt he's on RAWK mate.

You & me both.  To be honest, it was more a reflection on the broader social media field really - this thread is merely a relatively exclusive corner of the Internet which- you're right - he's not going to be see or by directly affected by.  This thread might be reflective of the things that you do see on Twitter though, which players will be exposed to - hence me making reference to two professionals who spoke about their mental health being affected by abuse they were received long before the emergence of social media.

Well when he was slagging off Allison for making mistakes he wouldn’t make, I’m sure he said to himself,
“I wonder if this criticism of a fellow professional is unkind or even unwarranted.”
Making yourself out to be some sort of wonder keeper is setting yourself up for stick when you make a mistake like The Divock Derby.

That's the type of stuff that I wonder if we can be 'better than' though.

---

Pickford's just a handy example though, really - probably a wider point I'm not quite making (the darker side of the 'bantz' referenced in the other thread.  Feel much the same whenever I see 'Drunken' Ferguson being used.

I've posted on social media about Pickford in the past myself, and I agree with both the posts above this one.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1564 on: September 24, 2020, 04:50:26 pm »
You & me both.  To be honest, it was more a reflection on the broader social media field really - this thread is merely a relatively exclusive corner of the Internet which- you're right - he's not going to be see or by directly affected by.  This thread might be reflective of the things that you do see on Twitter though, which players will be exposed to - hence me making reference to two professionals who spoke about their mental health being affected by abuse they were received long before the emergence of social media.

---

Pickford's just a handy example though, really - probably a wider point I'm not quite making (the darker side of the 'bantz' referenced in the other thread.  Feel much the same whenever I see 'Drunken' Ferguson being used.

I've posted on social media about Pickford in the past myself, and I agree with both the posts above this one.

With Ferguson and Pickford is it not because they're just shitty humans who play for Everton? I don't see people mocking Merson for his alcohol issues, just for being stupid and terrible at his job.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point, I just think when you come off as an arrogant dickhead people will be twice as inclined to mock you. Kepa is another example: had he not pulled that weird stunt under Sarri I don't think people would be quite so gleeful in his struggles.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1565 on: September 24, 2020, 06:27:16 pm »

agree it might get to stage it goes too far

jason lee was one i was thinking of earlier, ridiculed constantly by baddiel and skinner

that did go too far. felt like week after week they were on a mission to destroy him

But that was entirely his own fault. They made fun of his hair in general good humour, like they made fun of loads of other players. Instead of taking it in good grace and laughing it off like you should, he made a thing about 'fighting back'

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1566 on: September 24, 2020, 08:31:28 pm »
I'm gonna be fair and say I think it's perceived that he was a large part of England getting to the World Cup semis. I remember thinking at the time that he'd done alright, though the Colombia goal was on him.

Was that the one where it was going miles wide and he made a mad save to give away a corner that England then conceded from?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1567 on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:25 pm »
But that was entirely his own fault. They made fun of his hair in general good humour, like they made fun of loads of other players. Instead of taking it in good grace and laughing it off like you should, he made a thing about 'fighting back'

That in itself can be a sign that somebody isn't doing so good. 

Yeah, you'll get the thin skinned cnuts like Trump who feel they need to bite back to look stronger and cover up their extremely fragile ego, but equally maybe you just don't like some random dickhead celebrity taking the piss out of you when you've not really done anything to deserve it? 

I don't watch telly or read papers so I don't know about the incident you're referring to, but maybe he was bullied as a kid so it triggered a trauma response?  I dunno.

Pickford chose to put himself in the cross hairs, lacks self awareness when it comes to criticism, and is oblivious to his own glaring weaknesses as a keeper.  He berates and blames others for his mistakes, and then struts around his area like an arrogant cock thinking he's Gawd's Gift to Goalkeeping. Happy to take the piss out of him.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1568 on: September 24, 2020, 08:55:15 pm »

Yeah, you'll get the thin skinned cnuts like Trump who feel they need to bite back to look stronger and cover up their extremely fragile ego, but equally maybe you just don't like some random dickhead celebrity taking the piss out of you when you've not really done anything to deserve it? 

I don't watch telly or read papers so I don't know about the incident you're referring to, but maybe he was bullied as a kid so it triggered a trauma response?  I dunno.

Pickford chose to put himself in the cross hairs, lacks self awareness when it comes to criticism, and is oblivious to his own glaring weaknesses as a keeper.  He berates and blames others for his mistakes, and then struts around his area like an arrogant cock thinking he's Gawd's Gift to Goalkeeping. Happy to take the piss out of him.

Believe me I'm no stranger to mental illness.

It was just Skinner and baddiel ripping on all sorts of footballers in all sorts of situations. A 'you're in the public eye and so fair game to have a bit of fun with'. And by that I do not mean free-reign to be dickheads. Just that if you're up there, you need to accept some harmless jokes and just move on. He didn't. He doubled down and they engaged. Like a heckler trying to get one over a stage comedian.

I think Baddiel and Skinner themselves got a bit self conscious about it in the end. I mean both of them have had battles involving mental problems, so I really don't think it was done in a bad way at all.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1569 on: September 24, 2020, 08:59:43 pm »

Jason Lee was a striker who played for Forest and was a bit shit

So, on Fantasy Football on the BBC, Baddiel and Skinner ripped the piss out of him for weeks

They had a song "He's got a pineapple on his head, he's got a pineapple on his head" to the tune of "Got the whole world in his hands"

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1570 on: September 24, 2020, 09:20:51 pm »

It was just Skinner and baddiel ripping on all sorts of footballers in all sorts of situations. A 'you're in the public eye and so fair game to have a bit of fun with'. And by that I do not mean free-reign to be dickheads. Just that if you're up there, you need to accept some harmless jokes and just move on. He didn't. He doubled down and they engaged. Like a heckler trying to get one over a stage comedian.

I think Baddiel and Skinner themselves got a bit self conscious about it in the end. I mean both of them have had battles involving mental problems, so I really don't think it was done in a bad way at all.

Well that's fair enough.  My therapy just reminds me to try and consider other POV's, especially when I don't have all the facts. :)

Jason Lee was a striker who played for Forest and was a bit shit

So, on Fantasy Football on the BBC, Baddiel and Skinner ripped the piss out of him for weeks

They had a song "He's got a pineapple on his head, he's got a pineapple on his head" to the tune of "Got the whole world in his hands"

Fuck me, he looks like Fellaini's illegitimate kid.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1571 on: September 24, 2020, 11:22:08 pm »
I'm all for having a laugh at the Blues as a collective for having what appears to have the potential to be a serious handbrake on their ambitions in their side, and I've nothing against having a laugh at the Pickford scenario in the match/league threads and with mates, etc, but I wonder if we should perhaps be better than having a 39-page thread dedicated to this topic - or at least the laughter at an individual's expense aspect of it?  Yes, lots of Everton fans are concerned and want rid; yes, Pickford's own demeanour does his reputation no good; yes, the results of his errors offer us amusement; and, yes, critique is fair enough.

I'm reminded of a few interviews from last year, about footballers 'hearing' the abuse - Luke Chadwick and Peter Crouch spring to mind - and how it affected their mental health.

Just wonder if the joke's gone on for long enough now...?
I think the issue with Pickford is that he actually created the joke himself. It's almost as if he goes out of his way to set himself up.

He doesn't play for a top club and he really isn't that good at his job, but he swans around as though he's Gordon Banks. When you big yourself up like he does, have digs at people infinitely better than you at your job (Alisson) then blame everyone but yourself when you mess up, you open yourself up to scrutiny and ridicule. Add a complete lack of self-awareness and humility to the mix, and it's no wonder people react to him like they do. It's human nature to want to bring the cocky bastards in life down a peg or two. To be honest, I think he deserves the stick he gets in here. Also, let's be honest, it's not horrible, sinister stuff either.

If I bumped into the fella on a night out I'd take as I find and treat him with the respect I'd treat anyone else with. In here though, I just go with the public and professional image he presents to us. On that score, he reaps what he sows. The fact we can squeeze a 40 page thread out of him speaks volumes. As I said, he pretty much sets himself up and invites ridicule due to his actions.

However, I do understand your point. I'm well versed in mental health, confidence and esteem issues myself. I've been both the client and the counsellor in my time, and I've had more than my share of issues. I wouldn't ridicule a person in 'real life' just as I'd hope they wouldn't ridicule me. I know the damage that kind of thing can do. On here I think he's fair game up to a point, because he is never coming on here and reading it, and I wouldn't want him to either. It's pretty tame stuff anyway, and not sinister by any means. There are always lines to be drawn, and I think the moderators on here are well on the ball. If lines were crossed, they'd point it out very quickly and take the appropriate action.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:29:09 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1572 on: September 24, 2020, 11:29:46 pm »
I'm all for having a laugh at the Blues as a collective for having what appears to have the potential to be a serious handbrake on their ambitions in their side, and I've nothing against having a laugh at the Pickford scenario in the match/league threads and with mates, etc, but I wonder if we should perhaps be better than having a 39-page thread dedicated to this topic - or at least the laughter at an individual's expense aspect of it?  Yes, lots of Everton fans are concerned and want rid; yes, Pickford's own demeanour does his reputation no good; yes, the results of his errors offer us amusement; and, yes, critique is fair enough.

I'm reminded of a few interviews from last year, about footballers 'hearing' the abuse - Luke Chadwick and Peter Crouch spring to mind - and how it affected their mental health.

Just wonder if the joke's gone on for long enough now...?

We should bin the thread the day after he says "I was on RAWK the other night and ..."
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1573 on: September 24, 2020, 11:43:38 pm »
did he?

Felt like every week they spent a chunk of show ripping him
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1574 on: September 24, 2020, 11:47:25 pm »
If I met him on a night out I'd be sound with him and give him a high 5

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: September 24, 2020, 11:49:27 pm »

If I bumped into the fella on a night out I'd take as I find and treat him with the respect I'd treat anyone else with. In here though, I just go with the public and professional image he presents to us. On that score, he reaps what he sows. The fact we can squeeze a 40 page thread out of him speaks volumes. As I said, he pretty much sets himself up and invites ridicule due to his actions.

I seem to recall he's behaved like a complete wanker on a night out too? Or was that someone else?

Popcorn's Art

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1576 on: September 24, 2020, 11:51:22 pm »

With your dome?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: September 25, 2020, 12:25:58 am »
I seem to recall he's behaved like a complete wanker on a night out too? Or was that someone else?

Was him looking like he'd been partaking in a bit of molly.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1578 on: September 25, 2020, 01:10:53 am »
Yes, but you'd only throw him the high 5 because you want to see him fumble it.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: September 25, 2020, 01:13:05 am »
Yes, that was actually him. I remember it getting posted in here. Back up in the North East if I remember correctly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1580 on: September 25, 2020, 01:29:47 am »

hahahahah that's so mean. You know he couldn't reach it!

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: September 25, 2020, 01:47:59 am »
hahahahah that's so mean. You know he couldn't reach it!
Oh, I don't know so much.

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #1582 on: September 25, 2020, 05:26:54 am »

---

Ferguson has my complete admiration for the work he does for Alder Hey.
However, he was a drunken hooligan who went to jail for assault. He was a thug on the football pitch, whose style of play is still looked on as the Everton way by many of their fans.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #1583 on: September 25, 2020, 05:37:08 am »

I only saw Skinner and Baddiel once and I found their program crap to be honest. It was the start of all this laddish banter shite. They set the tone for that Chelsea bum and his Soccer AM crap. I only watched a few of them because my eldest put it on because it was a “thing” in school. He saw through it soon enough. Weirdly, the thing that pissed me off most about that show was when he called students “tax dodgers” . A rich gob, who contributed nothing to society, probably had an accountant making sure he swerved as much tax as possible, calling kids names for wanting an education. At least Harry Enfield was an attempt at parody with loadsamoney.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: September 25, 2020, 06:14:54 am »

It was a bit more than that. Baddiel ‘blacked up’

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1585 on: September 25, 2020, 06:29:55 am »
Baddiel was, is, and will always be a gargantuan bellend

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1586 on: September 25, 2020, 08:25:34 am »
would he be on a step ladder?

should be a low 5
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: September 25, 2020, 08:52:50 am »
It's obvious the UKs current Covid case surge is the result of the Johnson government using Pickford as their ambassador for using an arms length for social distancing.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1588 on: September 25, 2020, 09:35:53 am »

Probably more like a low 6

*edit. Hellrazor beat me to it. Sort of*
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1589 on: September 25, 2020, 11:13:41 am »
You're presuming that most of us are better than that (we're not) :D

Thing is, Pickford wouldn't get anywhere as much comment if he didn't act like a gargantuan bellend. His swaggering about and acting like an off-duty squaddie who stinks of Lynx does not help his cause.

Ultimately there has to be a line below which rip-take is fair humour, otherwise this would be a very dull and boring world.

"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1590 on: September 26, 2020, 09:25:45 am »
Continue to be utterly bemused and confounded by everyone on every football podcast that I listen to espousing the opinion that Pickford has great distribution. Genuinely not seen a keeper who kicks it out for a throw or into the opposition keeper's arms half as much as he does. And it really is everyone. Hosts, pundits, analysts, historians, even goalkeeping coaches. The gap between what they see and what I see is inexplicable.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1591 on: September 26, 2020, 09:38:50 am »
Pundit on five live was saying Everton should get shot of Pickford as he's not good enough. Hope it's not an opinion that gains groundswell.
I remember the Jason Lee thing, though never saw baddiel and Skinner, it must have grown massively beyond then. Thought it was a bit of harmless fun, didn't realise it would end his career. ( That and him not being very good).  Tis a fine line.

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1592 on: September 26, 2020, 09:42:49 am »
Continue to be utterly bemused and confounded by everyone on every football podcast that I listen to espousing the opinion that Pickford has great distribution. Genuinely not seen a keeper who kicks it out for a throw or into the opposition keeper's arms half as much as he does. And it really is everyone. Hosts, pundits, analysts, historians, even goalkeeping coaches. The gap between what they see and what I see is inexplicable.

They don't see it though, it's something that got spouted about when he first broke through and suddenly became fact, happens all the time in football cos there's too many lazy commentators, pundits, experts etc who just parrot the first thing that comes into their head without trying to form their own opinions

You'll see it big time later today on BT for the Brighton v United game, everything about the mancs will be brilliant while constantly ignoring what anybody with eyes in their head actually sees

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1593 on: September 26, 2020, 09:52:07 am »
I still can't believe that he was the 6th most expensive goalkeeper ever, behind Kepa, Alisson, Courtois, Ederson and Buffon.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #1594 on: September 26, 2020, 11:04:15 am »
I still can't believe that he was the 6th most expensive goalkeeper ever, behind Kepa, Alisson, Courtois, Ederson and Buffon.

Even more shocking that Kepa is the most expensive.  Put them both together and you would still only have half a turd.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #1595 on: September 26, 2020, 11:07:37 am »
What was apparent, and was expressed on here when they signed him, was his average of conceding two goals a game. People said it was because he played for Sunderland who were in free fall, but if you look at his average now I bet it hasn’t significantly changed. Already this season he has conceded 2 goals against WBA, 2 against Fleetwood. What has covered up his errors has been the shit in front of him. Now with Ancelotti actually bringing order, and goals coming too, his errors are more obvious.

I do feel for the guy after the two midweek though. The first one was played into a pocket with two men pressing. He was directly in the middle of his goal almost on the line. The second one I thought he had made a great reaction save to what was a great effort. It was a reflex save that went wrong. Even so it doesn’t inspire confidence in defenders. His reaction, shouting at the defence was met by everyone avoiding his glare.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: September 26, 2020, 11:24:10 am »
What was apparent, and was expressed on here when they signed him, was his average of conceding two goals a game. People said it was because he played for Sunderland who were in free fall, but if you look at his average now I bet it hasn’t significantly changed. Already this season he has conceded 2 goals against WBA, 2 against Fleetwood. What has covered up his errors has been the shit in front of him. Now with Ancelotti actually bringing order, and goals coming too, his errors are more obvious.

I do feel for the guy after the two midweek though. The first one was played into a pocket with two men pressing. He was directly in the middle of his goal almost on the line. The second one I thought he had made a great reaction save to what was a great effort. It was a reflex save that went wrong. Even so it doesn’t inspire confidence in defenders. His reaction, shouting at the defence was met by everyone avoiding his glare.

The pass on the first was poor but all he needed to do was lash it into the stands, he's left footed so it actually ran kindly for him. As for the second, if he keeps his feet planted, he palms that away. Instead he does his usual stupid Hollywood dive and fucks it up.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1597 on: September 26, 2020, 11:32:43 am »
The pass on the first was poor but all he needed to do was lash it into the stands, he's left footed so it actually ran kindly for him. As for the second, if he keeps his feet planted, he palms that away. Instead he does his usual stupid Hollywood dive and fucks it up.

His reactions are awful and he clearly has more confidence in his legs than his arms, otherwise he'd trust himself to stay on his line and palm it away. It's antics like that have foisted the little arms moniker onto him in the first place.

Did he start out as an outfield player who went into goal?

Popcorn's Art

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #1598 on: September 26, 2020, 11:55:31 am »

Come on Rob I’m trying to keep him in the side here, work with me 😉.
Seriously though, one of the problems goalkeepers in general  are facing, is the instructions from managers who want the ball played out from the back.
Obviously they will do drills on it in training but the problem comes when a keeper who isn’t comfortable with it at his feet feels he is going to get panned by the manager for hoofing it and so tries to play football and gets caught.
It also requires decent defenders who can play a high line allowing the keeper time as well as being comfortable passing and moving under pressure.
Kepa was undone last week because we pressed the defence back onto him several times, which causes doubts. They then tried a high line and Mané did them. The second goal was a result of them being pinned back after winning possession and shoving it back to Kepa who tried to play his way out, much like Pickers, with a similar outcome.

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #1599 on: September 26, 2020, 12:03:05 pm »
His reactions are awful and he clearly has more confidence in his legs than his arms, otherwise he'd trust himself to stay on his line and palm it away. It's antics like that have foisted the little arms moniker onto him in the first place.

Did he start out as an outfield player who went into goal?

I think he has concentration issues. He can pull off great saves, but he seems to need to be involved in the game. He finds it very hard to do a Clemence and get the deckchair out. When he kicks it out it’s as if he tries a different kick each time almost as if he wants to be a Midfield General spraying passes, facial expressions included. For the Divock goal he seemed to have too much thinking time and changed his mind several times before being caught changing it again.
Almost like a cricketer who is waiting under a high catch and changes from “fingers up” to ”fingers down” and then back just in time to drop it.