Author Topic: My Favourite Player #4 - Graeme Souness  (Read 37839 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
My Favourite Player #4 - Graeme Souness
« on: November 21, 2012, 01:33:19 am »
So, as you will have gathered by now, we Writers and Scribes have been asked to compose a tribute on our favourite Liverpool player. I volunteered tentatively. Why? Because my favourite player is rather a controversial one. My favourite player is not necessarily my favourite person.

Our adverse outlook toward Mr. Souness is depressing on a number of levels; particularly so for me and, I suspect, others of my generation. You see, throughout my young adult life, ‘Souey’ not only represented what was great about Liverpool, he represented what was great about football of its time. He was an obdurate, iron-willed beast of a man who left his heart on every pitch he graced. Predictably, I modelled my game on his. Partly because I didn’t quite have the technical ability of Terry Mac, partly because I had a penchant for an uncompromising tackle but mostly because there was an honesty and reliability about his game that every avid young football fanatic should aspire to. His passion spilled over the edges at times admittedly, but what you saw is what you got from Souness. And that was his main charm.

Unfortunately, as the years rolled on, things have become a little blurred. Souness became a walking contradiction. The ‘honesty’ I once associated with him was totally at odds with his political views. The ‘reliability’ entirely contrary to the newspaper he infamously offered an exclusive to in 1992. And, finally, the ‘passion’ for the game he once exuded has been watered down in a sea of Sky Sports sound bites and clichés. There will forever be a yin to the yang with Souness. He won three European Cups; he brought Julian Dicks to the club. He won four FA Cups; he brought Julian Dicks to the club. He won five league titles; he brought Julian Dicks to the club. See? Yin and yang.

Despite his 'shortcomings', however, I can never hate Graeme Souness. In many ways, I’m like the Mother of a reprobate who has been castigated by society but who remains dear to my heart. I haven’t had to meet my hero to be let down by him. Yet that doesn’t change the fact that he still was once my hero.

After masterminding Liverpool's first ever European Cup win in 1977, Bob Paisley sought to restructure his squad. Out went the likes of Joey Jones, Alec Lindsay, Ian Callaghan, Emlyn Hughes, Tommy Smith, John Toshack and Kevin Keegan. In, a new generation. Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen, Alan Kennedy and, of course, a brawny Scot from Middlesborough in January 1978 - Graeme Souness.

Souey's first game? a 1-0 victory at West Brom. His first goal? Just a month into his Anfield journey, a blistering left-foot volley in a 3-1 victory over Manchester United that was voted "Goal Of The Season". From the off, Souness looked every bit a Liverpool player. Aggressive in the tackle, elegant on the ball: the perfect cocktail; a player worthy of building a team around. Within five months, he was a European Cup winner. It was testament to Bob that within twelve months, the side that had retained Ol' Big Ears had an entirely new spine. Souness, alongside his permed, moustachioed doppleganger McDermott, were central in a side that ground its opponents to submission with a controlled, possession-oriented game. There was an aura about Souness, though. He commanded respect. Opposition players made detours around him in an attempt to get at the defence.

And for that reason, Souness and Liverpool were a match made in heaven. Their collective dominance coincided with my own individual football 'peak': that age when your only concern in life is Liverpool's next game and how you're going to get to it (so around 13-79). While other kids tried to replicate Kenny out on the streets and in the parks, I did my best to imitate Souey. Football seemed a lot simpler back then; purer too. And that's why Graeme Souness - even with all of his faults - remains my favourite ever player.

Happy Festivus!

It would be remiss of me to not mention Souness' time as manager too, I suppose. Needless to say, the experiment was a resounding failure. Desperate to put his own stamp on the club, he changed too much, too fast. In hindsight, the plug ought to have been pulled after his first season. An FA Cup win in 1992 and a good run at the end of the 92/93 season - with thanks mostly to Ian Rush - brought him back from the brink twice. Absent from the 6-2 end-of-season victory in '93, Anfield was awash with rumours that Souness had walked. Alas, this wasn't the case. Souness guided Liverpool for one final season, that saw record low attendances. In the 93/94 season, Liverpool finished in 8th place, 32 points behind leaders Manchester United. Fans had become disillusioned with many of Souness' decisions.

If you were pressed to find plus points from his tenure, you couldn't look much further than Robbie Fowler who thrived being thrust into the spotlight. By his own admission, "God's" chances to impress may have been limited had the Liverpool squad have been stronger and challenging at the high end of the table. In many ways, comparisons can be drawn then with our situation now. Fowler - like Sterling, Wisdom and Suso today - gave the fans much needed hope. Souness sensed that. He was a light at the end of the tunnel. To Souness' credit, the signing of Rob Jones - undeniably one of the finest full-backs to pull on the Red shirt - for 300k from Crewe, was a very canny one too. Other exploits of his in the market, however, are best left ignored.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2012, 05:18:20 pm by Garstonite »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: My Favourite Player #4 - Graeme Souness
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:01:54 am »
perfect introduction that negotiates the rocky rapids of such a player. Well done mate.
Yep.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2012, 11:41:28 pm »
Nice one Garstonite mate. I have the same feelings as you broadly. I don't think there's ever been a player I'd rather see on my side than Graeme Souness. I think of Rome '84 in particular - how the great Cerezo and Falcao were intimidated by his presence. Opponents did indeed make detours around him! And christ, didn't Sir Bob buy well in his first few months?

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2012, 12:15:49 am »
Controversial player but no doubting the quality of writing. A short article on a brilliant player who arouses long debates. Happy 4th!
Yep.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2012, 12:39:00 am »
His managerial stint here and off-the-field acts that occurred during that time will always cloud the perception of Souness the player. But if you were to pick one Liverpool player to go into the trenches and lead you out, Souness is the one. Uncompromising in every way. A player who his opponents legitimately feared for more reasons than one. The type of player, who as a Liverpool player in the late Seventies and early Eighties, you would have been grateful he was playing with you, rather than against you.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2012, 12:39:25 am »
In, a new generation. Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen, Alan Kennedy and, of course, a brawny Scot from Middlesborough in January 1978 - Graeme Souness.

Decent few windows that. He could pick a footballer, that Bob.

Very good post, Garstonite. It's a really tricky subject, but I think your feelings are shared by many. Despite his flaws he certainly was one hell of a player.
Justice For The 96

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2012, 01:18:50 am »
I think if I was around to have seen him play every week, he'd be my favourite player too. From the sound of it and clips I've seen.

I wonder if there will be any legends from recent times that will be tarnishing their legacy post-playing days. I think he's OK on Sky Sports like.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2012, 01:26:35 am »
The complete midfielder, had everything, could do everything. If I was picking my midfield from an all star Liverpool, Souness would be the first name on the team sheet.
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline kim66

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2012, 01:29:29 am »
One hell of a player,incredible in the tackle and he had a prescence.
Always seemed to have time on the ball and very intelligent with it.
Loved him as a player and a shame his managerial career tarnished his playing memories.
Imagine him next to Lucas with us defending a lead,game over.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2012, 01:29:49 am »
Thanks for the piece.

It's always great hearing someone elses views on a player rather than your dad and uncles.  Though they say great things about Graeme Souness the player not so much the manager.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 4, 2012, 01:32:56 am by Samie The Red »

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #10 on: December 4, 2012, 01:34:23 am »
If your life depended on you winning a match you'd want Souness as the captain.

His managerial reign at Liverpool was largely a failure because of his overpowering drive and competitiveness but I feel he has been unduly harshly judged because of that.

Good OP.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 4, 2012, 02:09:40 am »
No sure Souness ever was a controversial player in the eyes of Liverpool fans. Perhaps as a man and a manager he has left something to be desired but I can't think of a part of his game that was lacking.

Would it be too far to say he was Liverpool's answer to Lothar Matthaus?

Brilliant article, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2012, 02:18:06 am by Warks Moustache »

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 4, 2012, 02:13:59 am »
Hugh McIlvanney on Souness, the "Renoir with a razor blade".
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 4, 2012, 07:44:13 am »
Indeed, well done. Thanks Garstonite.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 4, 2012, 08:07:25 am »
Best leader we have ever had on the pitch as the amount of hills he climbed for us in the front of other legends to make sure we collected more honours in a 6 or 7 year span should bever be forgotten about or tarnished. Its not too often Paisley/Fagan thought we suffer when a player left or was sold but he knew we were in trouble when Souness left in 84. Kenny pretty much said so in his autobiography and how one of the best cogs ever was missed in 84/85. Souness was first in there when others required help and he took n lost a few pounds of flesh during our best years. Even if you combined Mash and Lucas you still fall short of Souness's quality. 
« Last Edit: December 4, 2012, 08:10:30 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #15 on: December 4, 2012, 09:28:21 am »
Excellent OP mate.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Kopendscorer

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: December 4, 2012, 09:32:34 am »
I can only agree with everything that's been said so far. One of the great joys of standing on the Kop during the Souness playing years was waiting for the tackle, usually within the first five minutes, on the oppositions best player. That player then either hobbled around for the rest of the game or, like the rest of the opposition, went nowhere near Souness. He then majestically dominated the midfield. He really was as good as everyone is saying, for those of you who didn't have the pleasure.

Offline bazz

• Main Stander
« Reply #17 on: December 4, 2012, 09:40:55 am »
Good post, but unnecessary for his playing career to be tarnished by his managerial career here. He is one of the first names in my favourite Liverpool team and would be as important as Kenny, Barnes, Rush and Hansen to the team. An outstanding player who anyone would want playing beside them. A proper captain too, no-one since has equalled him except for a certain Irishman who played for a Manchester club.

I found it very sad and wrong that he seems to be completely overlooked by the club during the stadium tour.

An utterly fantastic player.

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: December 4, 2012, 09:52:16 am »
Hilarious to browse YouTube and see some of the tackles that Souey used to put in. You can see why it was the era of "reducers", and intimidating yer "fancy players" out of the game, etc. Not to belittle his other talents, but in an era when it was very much a contact sport, you've got to admire the level of commitment/balls players used to need.

royhendo

« Reply #19 on: December 4, 2012, 09:57:17 am »
Superb, isn't it? :)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 4, 2012, 10:00:01 am »
Loving this feature. Top write up again Garstonite.
Again, I'm too young to remember Souness as a player. Only as manager and Sky Sports pundit. I remember the day he came as manager and was delighted. After winning a few leagues with Rangers, I was convinced, even as a kid, he would lead us to glory. As we all know it didn't turn out like that.
But having watched almost every DVD there is possible to watch, he was an immense player. Hard to choose between him and Gerrard for me. I'm not sure Gerrard has anything in his locker that Souness didn't. Great pass, great shot, great tackle, and an unbelievable desire to win games. My favourite story is probably when he started singing in the tunnel before the final in 84.
A class act.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #21 on: December 4, 2012, 10:00:17 am »
Thanks for the OP, good read.

Hansen talks of the days playing for Scotland when they would occasionally get grief from the crowd warming up, and his strategy was to go over and stand next to Souness, because Souness didn't give a shit what anyone shouted.

Oh, and from the managerial standpoint, I can't think of anyone else who would have been fucking mental enough to do this.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NVT-NK_c6LU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NVT-NK_c6LU</a>

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2012, 10:03:56 am »
OP pretty much nails it for me. Souness would make my Liverpool best 11 every time. I try to put his dalliance with the rag down to some mental aberration due to his illness.
 I remember one incident in a game against Leicester at Anfield when we were trailing and the referee gave a decision against us. Souness picked up a clump of turf and threw it at the ref in frustration. The ref turned at the very moment and must have known who threw it. Did fuck all about it which suggests it wasn't just the opposition players who were terrified of him. I've asked loads of people if they remember this incident and nobody does which has led me to believe it never actually happened but I'm sure it did!

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2012, 10:12:28 am »
I cant think of any wideboys/headcases I know(of) that would be mental enough to do that in Turkey!

In the words of Bonehead's book- "Man dont give a fuck"

I hazily remember Souness, but certainly seen the highlights of his passing/goals and what I can only loosely describe as tackles.

He got a bad tackle off Dwight Yorke I think it was during a Blackburn 5 a side training session, apparently he went through Yorkie like a steam train, both feet and waist high  ;D
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline Cocomin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2012, 10:16:08 am »
I can't expand anymore on what has already been said about Souness but i really loved watching him play he was like James Bond with a chainsaw cutting all the opponents best players down then passing them to death and scoring the odd wordly he really was an amazing player.
Regarding the rag incident he said sorry and it's genuine remorse i'm sure of it i can bet nobody regrets that more than him he should be right up there with Kenny but because of his managerial stint and the aforementioned clanger he never will be....shame that.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25 on: December 4, 2012, 10:22:52 am »
Cheers Garstonite - enjoyed that.

His last game for us was the European Cup Final in Rome wasn't it? I have very vague memories of watching that (one of my earliest Liverpool memories) but was obviously too young to appreciate first hand how good he was. I've since read the stories and seen the footage, the man was an absolute beast - a double 'ard bastard as my Cockney mate would say.

There's just something so brilliantly of it's era seeing Souness strutting around with his tache and perm like he owned the place.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #26 on: December 4, 2012, 10:27:01 am »
Some random quotes...

Frank Worthington on Souness, 1984: "He's the nastiest, most ruthless man in soccer. Don Revie's assassins at Leeds were bad enough, but there is a streak in Souness that puts him top of the list."

Graeme Souness on Worthington, 1984: "The way he's losing his hair he'll be the first bald guy ever to do impressions of Elvis Presley."

Archie Gemmill on Souness, 1978 World Cup: "If he was a chocolate drop, he'd eat himself."

Dario Bonetti (Roma) on playing Souness (Sampdoria): "When it was 2-0, Souness amused himself by making fun of us with words and gestures. He may be a great player, but he isn't worth much as a man."

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 4, 2012, 10:56:26 am »
Fantastic player.

Stand out moments for me personally:

Playing wise:      His hatrick against CSKA in the European Cup in 1981. Might be a trick of memory, but I seem to recall they were all 20 yard thunderbolts.

His volley against the Mancs at the Anny Road end on his debut [I Think]

"Tackling" wise:  His premeditated assault on David Cross on Man City. Early in the game, City were attacking the Kop end and the ball was played to Cross, who had his back to goal. Souness was tight on him. Cross turned towards goal, and as he did so, he caught Souness right across the nose with a very well placed and very deliberate elbow. Blood everywhere.

As a 15 year old lad watching from the Kop, I can still remember Souness pushing Ronnie Moran away as he tried to take him off. He was obviously very groggy, but he just wiped himself down and went looking for Cross. The Kop sang "Yozzer's gonna get ya, Yozzer's gonna get ya..."

Atmosphere was a bit weird for the next 10 minutes while nobody really watched the game. All eyes were on Souness who, shall we say, righted the wrong at the next available opportunity!

Still laugh when I hear modern players being called things like "Enforcers." Souness, Kennedy, Case, Smith, Jones. Play you off the pitch if you want, kick you off if you prefer. Enforce that.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #28 on: December 4, 2012, 10:56:35 am »
A true football gladiator who never gave an inch on the pitch, but also an artist with the ball at his feet.  A truly magnificent player and pushes Kenny very close as my all time favorite Red.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #29 on: December 4, 2012, 11:20:40 am »
What a trophy haul this man has had! 5 League titles, 3 European cups and 4 League cups! That too in just 7 seasons. Amazing isn't it? Great time to be a Liverpool fan back then. You guys have seen them all what we can only dream of/
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #30 on: December 4, 2012, 11:33:16 am »
That's a great read, thanks for that mate.

Offline GlenJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #31 on: December 4, 2012, 11:35:00 am »
Great read, thanks. I wish I had been around to watch him week in week out.
Manchester United could win fifty titles, but they will always be the Rolling Stones of football. Good, just not quite that band from Liverpool.

You should literally be skinned for such a fucking daft answer :o

Offline SmallwoodRed

• Kopite
  • remember april 1989
« Reply #32 on: December 4, 2012, 11:35:51 am »
Watch the pass to Dalglish for the winner in the 78 cup european cup final. Showed his finesse brilliantly. There were certainly 2 sides to his game.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 4, 2012, 11:42:19 am »
As a player fantastic, remember the season before we signed him he stood out at Anfield, I think we were getting beat by Middlesborough because it was one of them games were we really got behind the team but Souness was something special. Next season as if by magic he's playing for us.

You can't ignore his commitment and his 'tough' tackling and fearsome reputation but that shouldn't define him because it's easy to forget there was far more to him than that. He had that natural arrogance in his play, his body language seemed to shout ' how dare you think you're good enough to be on the same pitch as me', he could create time and space in a crowded midfield and could spray the ball thirty yards without seeming to look. Shit of a man fantastic footballer.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #34 on: December 4, 2012, 11:53:39 am »
Great piece that pal.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #35 on: December 4, 2012, 12:01:10 pm »
Fantastic player.

Stand out moments for me personally:

Playing wise:      His hatrick against CSKA in the European Cup in 1981. Might be a trick of memory, but I seem to recall they were all 20 yard thunderbolts.

His volley against the Mancs at the Anny Road end on his debut [I Think]

"Tackling" wise:  His premeditated assault on David Cross on Man City. Early in the game, City were attacking the Kop end and the ball was played to Cross, who had his back to goal. Souness was tight on him. Cross turned towards goal, and as he did so, he caught Souness right across the nose with a very well placed and very deliberate elbow. Blood everywhere.

As a 15 year old lad watching from the Kop, I can still remember Souness pushing Ronnie Moran away as he tried to take him off. He was obviously very groggy, but he just wiped himself down and went looking for Cross. The Kop sang "Yozzer's gonna get ya, Yozzer's gonna get ya..."

Atmosphere was a bit weird for the next 10 minutes while nobody really watched the game. All eyes were on Souness who, shall we say, righted the wrong at the next available opportunity!

Still laugh when I hear modern players being called things like "Enforcers." Souness, Kennedy, Case, Smith, Jones. Play you off the pitch if you want, kick you off if you prefer. Enforce that.

I was in the Anny Rd end for that one (with an extremely gutted bluenose mate) and the 2 he scored at the Kop end were absolute belters. The one at the Anny Rd end in the 1st half was a bit nearer in iirc.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 4, 2012, 01:13:17 pm »
I was in the Anny Rd end for that one (with an extremely gutted bluenose mate) and the 2 he scored at the Kop end were absolute belters. The one at the Anny Rd end in the 1st half was a bit nearer in iirc.

Wouldn't argue with you mate, like I said, might be a trick of the memory on my part!

I was in my normal spec in the middle/right of the Kop, and the last one in particular was a bit of a screamer.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #37 on: December 4, 2012, 01:21:30 pm »
My Grandads (RIP) favourite ever Liverpool player. He was going from WWII onward, not a bad accolade.

He used to speak about him like he was about 12 feet tall, despite all the shite that came later. Souness the player he genuinely couldn't have spoken of higher. He said watching him play for us, you'd know the other side would have to do something special to even have the chance of not getting a heavy beating.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2012, 01:23:30 pm by It's Jimmy Corkhill »
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #38 on: December 4, 2012, 01:21:54 pm »
Definitely a part of my all time LFC XI - best captain we've ever had, for me.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
« Reply #39 on: December 4, 2012, 01:40:44 pm »
Best captain and most complete midfielder combination of Gerrard(goals)/Mash(tackling)/Alonso(Passing) would just about sum him up and was a terrific captain to boot.

Like someone said above same happened to me met him at an airport went up to him and was dumbstruck in chronological order fear/awe/admiration. I did not utter one word as I could barely breathe