Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3449078 times)

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #44680 on: February 6, 2017, 04:50:41 pm »
Normally there are some of the oscan noms that i dont like. This year however i have loved every film. Cant even decide which one i like the most. Hacksaw, Jackie, La la land, Moonlight were all excellent and would be worthy winners. Lion was great also (though overall on a level below the above mentioned imo).

Looking forward to Toni Erdman which i am watching tonight, Fences and Hidden Figures.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #44681 on: February 6, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »
Arrival....impressive in parts but overall too po-faced and overwrought for me...expectations were probably raised by the (unavoidable) glowing reviews and that may have contributed to the sense of disappointment...but ultimately found it rather unconvincing  6/10
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #44682 on: February 6, 2017, 07:26:11 pm »
Hacksaw Ridge is excellent!

That it is..
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #44683 on: February 6, 2017, 09:38:25 pm »
The Rezort - pretty good for a Zombie flick

Spoiler

Takes things from Resident Evil, Half Life, Jurassic Park, Dead Island, Left for Dead, 28 Days Later and a few conspiracy flicks.

Quite good fun. Decent effects and a modicum of peril

[close]
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #44684 on: February 6, 2017, 09:40:29 pm »
I thought it was definitely the worst superhero movie out there, by a long way. Thor 2 runs it close though ;D

Not even getting into the merits of plot, characterisation, soundtrack (christ it was shite) or visuals - the editing of Suicide Squad was so so bad, it was barely even a competently constructed film. Say what you want about Marvel films and their ubiquity and identikit nature, or the Nolan Batman films and their over serious approach - Suicide Squad is simply a badly made film by any metric. It is worse than every other superhero film, and almost every other film in general, as its not constructed properly. The editing is probably the worst editing you can see outside of homemade dancing cat youtube videos. It's like an A level students first piece of Media Studies coursework, made in his Muse hoody between breaking up with his emo girlfriend and eating his third McNasty's of the day. It's when you take your car in for repair and they just gaffa tape the old bumper back on and give you a door that's a different shade from the rest of the paintwork. It's like a song where the singer is flat, the guitars are out of tune and the drummer can't hold the tempo.

I thought it was frankly amazing how it made so much money, staggering how it was allowed to be released in such a sub-standard condition. But, hey, it made money, so it must be OK in the eyes of the film exec(erable)s. They got their target market right I guess, a certain demographic must really love 'badass' and 'edgy' stuff. It just hurt my eyes and ears though. I'm obviously too old for this shit ;D

Thought it was better than most of the Batman latest features. They just make him into a bruiser you wouldn't have been surprised to bump into down County Road in the 80s. No sophistication - just a bit of a knob. Gone was his science and reason and burning desire for justice. He got turned into a bit of a bell.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44685 on: February 7, 2017, 12:15:15 pm »
The Girl with All The Gifts

Didn't redefine the genre but at the same time got enough 'character' to stand out from the ton of zombie themed movies. Enjoyable viewing throughout its duration, kid that starred didn't fault. Loved the ending. Found it beautiful and smart.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #44686 on: February 7, 2017, 03:39:23 pm »
Bone Tomahawk....didn't see any love for this in the film thread when it came out-I liked it a lot. I know it was a slow burner but when it turned it up....it really turned it up.

Never heard of this until I read this post so I watched it last night. Fucking hell, that last 40 minutes is really something. Had to force myself to keep my eyes on the screen for that one scene. Probably the most brutal thing I've ever seen.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #44687 on: February 7, 2017, 04:27:01 pm »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #44688 on: February 8, 2017, 01:24:37 am »
Arrival....impressive in parts but overall too po-faced and overwrought for me...expectations were probably raised by the (unavoidable) glowing reviews and that may have contributed to the sense of disappointment...but ultimately found it rather unconvincing  6/10

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V3y3QoFnqZc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V3y3QoFnqZc</a>
:D

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44689 on: February 8, 2017, 01:43:09 am »
Passengers could have been so much better - I quite like Chris Pratt, but Jennifer Lawrence is not really that much of a good actor.

Quite enjoyed the concept and loved the little Kubrick nods here and there, but the third act was appallingly woeful.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #44690 on: February 8, 2017, 10:23:51 am »
Hacksaw Ridge - Excellent war film, bit predictable and a bit cheesy at times as you'd expect from a Gibson film, but equally the fighting scenes are brutally awesome and it's a really good story. 8/10

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #44691 on: February 8, 2017, 11:23:15 am »
Nocturnal Animals disappointed. Whole thing just felt fake, a hollow overwrought mess really.

It looks pretty though and i enjoyed Michael Shannon and Aaron Taylor, even if it is just a knock-off McConaughey performance. 6/10

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44692 on: February 8, 2017, 11:52:15 am »
Didn't like Arrival but I wasn't really concentrating and it definitely felt like I should have been.. but hey, it should have made me concentrate! I'll give it another go some time.

Hacksaw Ridge was great if not a little too biblical for my liking.

Nocturnal animals was very meh.

Hell or Highwater is good but I hoped for better. The start made me feel like I had just been dropped into the middle of a film rather than it developing a story.

Going to watch Billy Lynn tonight.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44693 on: February 8, 2017, 12:00:06 pm »
Nocturnal Animals disappointed. Whole thing just felt fake, a hollow overwrought mess really.

It looks pretty though and i enjoyed Michael Shannon and Aaron Taylor, even if it is just a knock-off McConaughey performance. 6/10
It's empty pretentious wank although the cast are great and some of it looks fantastic. A 5 out of 10 for me but I've knocked a point off for the dancing at the beginning.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #44694 on: February 8, 2017, 12:35:16 pm »
Jack Nicholson is coming out of semi-retirement to do a remake of German film Toni Erdmann, in cinemas now.  His first film since 2010. Kristen Wiig is playing his daughter in it.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44695 on: February 8, 2017, 06:20:16 pm »
A nice surprise upload.

20th Century Women 2016 DVDScr XVID AC3 HQ Hive-CM8 
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #44696 on: February 8, 2017, 06:31:31 pm »
Anyone seen Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, the review are not fantastic to be honest. ???
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #44697 on: February 8, 2017, 06:53:57 pm »
Anyone seen Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, the review are not fantastic to be honest. ???

Shite. Had to be shot in a weird / pressurised way due to the cost of the frame rate (120fps!) and it shows....felt forced and odd to me....and the central narrative/plot wasn't strong enough to make up for the cinematic experimentation. 5/10
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #44698 on: February 8, 2017, 06:55:56 pm »

Shite. Had to be shot in a weird / pressurised way due to the cost of the frame rate (120fps!) and it shows....felt forced and odd to me....and the central narrative/plot wasn't strong enough to make up for the cinematic experimentation. 5/10

Shite would have done ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #44699 on: February 8, 2017, 09:03:40 pm »
Saw La La Land. Really not my genre, but it is very well made. Emma Stone's eyes are enormous.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #44700 on: February 8, 2017, 09:53:19 pm »
Katherine Goble, what a fantastic woman. Hidden Figures is one of those stories that had to be told.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #44701 on: February 8, 2017, 11:19:10 pm »

Eh.

Audio-visually it was stunning - one of my favourites in recent times. The premise is also quite intriguing.

Spoiler
The third act problem though, was significant. There are time travel problems, but it's hard for time travel movies to avoid any problems altogether. But I think more importantly the emotional centre of the movie - the stuff with the daughter, feels too much detached from the science fiction aspect of the movie, and as a result doesn't deliver the punch it's intended to deliver. As a result, the final scenes feel tacked on.
[close]

It's still one of my favourite movies of last year, purely on the strength of how good it looks and sounds. The design aspects of it are just so good, that they alone might make this a cult classic yet.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2017, 11:21:08 pm by Redcap »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #44702 on: February 8, 2017, 11:24:25 pm »
Shite would have done ;D
If shite's your thing, give "Hard to be a God" a go! :wave

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44703 on: February 9, 2017, 12:58:25 am »
Manchester by the sea. Cant figure why they hyped it so much. just depressing from start to finish.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44704 on: February 9, 2017, 01:44:26 am »
Little rare gem - The lost honour of Christopher Jeffries.

I would suggest that people do not read about it and just put it on - it's a very, very, very good British Drama with sublime acting. In fact, I'd say it is the best character acting that I've seen in a long time.

It's on Netflix.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44705 on: February 9, 2017, 09:33:18 am »
https://streamable.com/o2vcc

Clip from that new great wall of China Matt Damon movie :lmao :lmao

Probably make profit in China still
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #44706 on: February 9, 2017, 10:07:41 am »
Captain Fantastic - Brilliant film, reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine in that it's a very funny but slightly fucked up family, but it's probably got more emotional depth and Viggo Mortensen really shines throughout. 8.5/10

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44707 on: February 9, 2017, 11:01:23 am »
Found Fences so so so so boring. You could tell it was an adapted play only they didn't really adapt it and it just felt like a play.

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk should have been great given its premise but it just failed deliver in my eyes. For a film that isn't confusing in the slightest, not a lot of it made logical, realistic sense.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #44708 on: February 9, 2017, 11:17:56 am »
Gemma Arterton and Eva Green cast in Virginia Woolf lesbian romance 
- Guardian

So Inception is real and I'm the first, erm, I'm not sure 'victim' is the right word?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44709 on: February 9, 2017, 12:01:37 pm »
Underworld Blood Wars 2017 720p WEB-DL H264 AC3-EVO

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44710 on: February 9, 2017, 12:45:25 pm »
https://streamable.com/o2vcc

Clip from that new great wall of China Matt Damon movie :lmao :lmao

Probably make profit in China still

That clip reminded me of a long and tumultuous production of another Chinese movie - Empires of The Deep - the jist of which is laid out in this brilliant, but very very long article. Good read for film fans.

https://magazine.atavist.com/sunk
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44711 on: February 9, 2017, 01:38:22 pm »
Manchester by the sea. Cant figure why they hyped it so much. just depressing from start to finish.
Life. It's not all sunshine and lollipops

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #44712 on: February 9, 2017, 07:24:50 pm »
Captain Fantastic - Brilliant film, reminded me of Little Miss Sunshine in that it's a very funny but slightly fucked up family, but it's probably got more emotional depth and Viggo Mortensen really shines throughout. 8.5/10

Just watched this moments ago & enjoyed it from start to finish, good performances from everyone involved.

Might continue the oscar trend & watch Hell or High Water later, heard great things.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #44713 on: February 9, 2017, 11:28:15 pm »
Not sure where to post this but I'm really gutted about the death of documentary filmmaker Rob Stewart passing away in a diving accident off the coast of Florida last week  :( Really opened up my eyes about how much more of a threat we are to the sharks than the opposite.

I recommend watching Sharkwater to everyone who hasnt seen it. Some sequences are quite brutal but it shows you how fucking horrible sharks are being treated.

Rob Stewart was working on a second Sharkwater documentary when he died.

RIP  :(

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #44714 on: February 10, 2017, 12:15:14 am »
Gemma Arterton and Eva Green cast in Virginia Woolf lesbian romance 
- Guardian

So Inception is real and I'm the first, erm, I'm not sure 'victim' is the right word?

Rather modest dreams you have if the best you can do is Gemma Arterton and Eva Green being cast in a lesbian romance movie, mate ;)

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #44715 on: February 10, 2017, 07:13:28 am »
Might go and see John Wick2 next friday, enjoyed the first one.

Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44716 on: February 10, 2017, 10:42:52 am »
Anyone seen The Seven Five?  Apparently its on Netflix.
Mike Dowd, a corrupt Brooklyn cop who became dirtier than the drug dealers he was supposed to be policing.

Seems like an old one 2014, released on NetFlix 3rd Feb.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:45:39 am by paul211b »

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #44717 on: February 10, 2017, 11:14:34 am »
I see everyone raving about Captain Fantastic.  I switched it off at the point where they stole food from the supermarket - how is a family of alternative hippies stealing from a shop edgy? All the characters really annoyed me too - does that make me a bad person?  :( Should I persevere with the film or is it more of the same?

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44718 on: February 10, 2017, 11:20:04 am »
I see everyone raving about Captain Fantastic.  I switched it off at the point where they stole food from the supermarket - how is a family of alternative hippies stealing from a shop edgy? All the characters really annoyed me too - does that make me a bad person?  :( Should I persevere with the film or is it more of the same?

They're sticking it to the man. Later in the film its brought up to try and show Ben that the life hes living with them maybe isn't the best. Dont think you're a bad person, people like different films, but I think its worth persevering with, I thought it was brilliant.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44719 on: February 10, 2017, 12:06:28 pm »
Anyone seen The Seven Five?  Apparently its on Netflix.
Mike Dowd, a corrupt Brooklyn cop who became dirtier than the drug dealers he was supposed to be policing.

Seems like an old one 2014, released on NetFlix 3rd Feb.
Yeah, a bit back like. I mentioned it in the documentary thread.

It's worth a watch. I thought it screamed out to be made into a feature...by Lumet starring either Pacino or Treat Williams. It's that kind of film.