Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 362357 times)

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
Re: The Apple iPad.... awful name awful product
« Reply #520 on: February 1, 2010, 04:00:01 pm »
You wouldnt be able to view that on a iPad. I imagine it would look something like this:

I think you're missing the point. I'm sure plenty of publishers will be happy to ditch Flash to get their content onto the iPad. Thus helping to hasten Flash's ultimate demise. Good news all round really.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #521 on: February 1, 2010, 04:35:12 pm »
I've just read on Wired that a lot of websites with Flash operate a Safari friendly alternative so that when the site is viewed on an iPhone just, you know, works. ;)

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #522 on: February 1, 2010, 05:39:32 pm »
I've just read on Wired that a lot of websites with Flash operate a Safari friendly alternative so that when the site is viewed on an iPhone just, you know, works. ;)

If a site's well designed then the Flash elements (and other potentially non-universal elements e.g. Javascript) should degrade gracefully. Unfortunately not all sites are well designed and some are so Flash heavy that it would be impossible to build in graceful degradation.

I think you're missing the point. I'm sure plenty of publishers will be happy to ditch Flash to get their content onto the iPad. Thus helping to hasten Flash's ultimate demise. Good news all round really.

I really don't think a single hardware product that doesn't support Flash is going to lead to Flash's demise when most other products do support it - however it might help to improve standards in web-design so that Flash is used thoughtfully and designed to degrade gracefully as stated above.
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: February 1, 2010, 06:54:31 pm »
I really don't think a single hardware product that doesn't support Flash is going to lead to Flash's demise when most other products do support it - however it might help to improve standards in web-design so that Flash is used thoughtfully and designed to degrade gracefully as stated above.

I don't think we disagree that much. And I did say "hasten" after all. As HTML5 matures we won't be held prisoner by any proprietary plug-in to the extent that Adobe manages now. "Hurrah" I say.

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #524 on: February 1, 2010, 08:27:42 pm »
You wouldnt be able to view that on a iPad. I imagine it would look something like this:

I know you're taking the piss, but I didn't mean that I'll buy an iPad so I can read Sky Sports mags. I just think magazines are a really good fit with this technology, i.e. colour, video, embeded links etc. Conde Nast and Time Inc have already announced that they'll have tablet formatted versions of some of their magazines for launch. It suits them as they already have the content that just needs to be reformatted, and it allows them to offer feature-rich advertising - or even personally targetted ads?

Some people are even talking of giving them away with newspaper and magazine subscriptions..

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-free-ipad-with-multiyear-subscription-to-newspapers-and-magazines-2010-1

Offline lfc_bhoy

• muppet
  • Legacy Fan
  • You is getting twatted, possibilities no-FS
« Reply #525 on: February 2, 2010, 08:30:05 am »
I have no idea who Apple is trying to sell this to.  People who would buy an iColonoscopy maybe, but the business crowd isn't going to want a dumbed down computer that won't let them check their stocks and wank off to spreadsheets at the same time.  The hipsters aren't going to want a device that requires the purchase of some iDuct-tape so they can strap it to any nearby surface to facilitate viewing it in a manner that wouldn't break your neck like Chuck Norris.  Sorry fanboys, but it looks like god is dead.
"Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy."

"There was no other color in the middle of the field except the red of Liverpool"

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #526 on: February 2, 2010, 08:38:12 am »
I have no idea who Apple is trying to sell this to. 

Its an interesting one, so many of apples products are an over expensive version of something that is already out there, but has a desireability factor so that people can sit in starbucks stroking their apple products thinking their better than everyone else in there stroking their apple products.

They are the greatest con artists of our time as they have made a massively profitable business on an ability to sell you something you dont need, or already have, but in a new pretty design that people will want to be seen with.

The issue comes with the ipad that you will look even more of a twat when using it in Starbucks.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #527 on: February 2, 2010, 03:35:44 pm »
Good news! I checked the measurements and the iPad fits snuggly into the inside door pocket of my Sinclair C5.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #528 on: February 2, 2010, 03:43:07 pm »
Good news! I checked the measurements and the iPad fits snuggly into the inside door pocket of my Sinclair C5.

Sinclair C5s have inside door pockets!?!?!
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: February 2, 2010, 03:57:52 pm »
Its an interesting one, so many of apples products are an over expensive version of something that is already out there, but has a desireability factor so that people can sit in starbucks stroking their apple products thinking their better than everyone else in there stroking their apple products.

They are the greatest con artists of our time as they have made a massively profitable business on an ability to sell you something you dont need, or already have, but in a new pretty design that people will want to be seen with.

The issue comes with the ipad that you will look even more of a twat when using it in Starbucks.

Before you think fan-boy, thing again, and check my previous posts. Some of what you write is very true (the bit before the first comma), some a bit true (after the first comma), but then you surmise with such shit.

I'm a Windows user, a Microsoft and over all technology fan, and one thing I'll tell you about Apple is that they are trend setters. Not with everything, and some isn't always that good, or the market isn't there for it. But, to call them con-artists is a bit rich, comparatively speaking anyway. Every single campaign that any organisation in the history of marketing has ever done could be called a con, if you're using the same line of thought.

The iPad's success (or lack of for that matter) won't be governed by how pretty it is, or how superior folk feel having one - it's just not that type of device. It will be much like the iPhone, initially started by desire, but success due to usefulness, mass adoption of the platform, backed up by a massive developer stream. The final benchmark will be if the public have the stomach for a new format of device.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: February 2, 2010, 04:09:00 pm »
Sinclair C5s have inside door pockets!?!?!

If you have a customised one they do.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #531 on: February 2, 2010, 04:24:12 pm »
Before you think fan-boy, thing again, and check my previous posts. Some of what you write is very true (the bit before the first comma), some a bit true (after the first comma), but then you surmise with such shit.

I'm a Windows user, a Microsoft and over all technology fan, and one thing I'll tell you about Apple is that they are trend setters. Not with everything, and some isn't always that good, or the market isn't there for it. But, to call them con-artists is a bit rich, comparatively speaking anyway. Every single campaign that any organisation in the history of marketing has ever done could be called a con, if you're using the same line of thought.

The iPad's success (or lack of for that matter) won't be governed by how pretty it is, or how superior folk feel having one - it's just not that type of device. It will be much like the iPhone, initially started by desire, but success due to usefulness, mass adoption of the platform, backed up by a massive developer stream. The final benchmark will be if the public have the stomach for a new format of device.

Yes marketing is a con and you admit it wont sell because of it being good, it will sell because of the marketing.

This will drown out innovation so as a technology fan you should be disappointed

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: February 2, 2010, 04:39:59 pm »
If you have a customised one they do.

Sinclair have an App Store?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #533 on: February 2, 2010, 04:54:47 pm »
People who want to browse the Guardian site and check emails on the sofa, and maybe watch an episode of Glee.

Is this a big market???
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: February 2, 2010, 05:07:02 pm »
Yes marketing is a con and you admit it wont sell because of it being good, it will sell because of the marketing.

This will drown out innovation so as a technology fan you should be disappointed

Fucking 'ell, do you work for the Daily Mail? Where do I 'admit' the above? I just don't know how successful it will be, and that success will hinge on people getting their heads around a new format. It's a real digital lifestyle consumer device, of which the market hasn't seen anything position the same, or at least anywhere near as good. Folk can talk about tablet PCs and UMPCs until the cows come home - just not the same.

The only real disappointments are Apple Store lock-in, removable storage and the ridiculously ramped tiered pricing.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #535 on: February 2, 2010, 06:06:02 pm »
Fucking 'ell, do you work for the Daily Mail? Where do I 'admit' the above? I just don't know how successful it will be, and that success will hinge on people getting their heads around a new format. It's a real digital lifestyle consumer device, of which the market hasn't seen anything position the same, or at least anywhere near as good. Folk can talk about tablet PCs and UMPCs until the cows come home - just not the same.

The only real disappointments are Apple Store lock-in, removable storage and the ridiculously ramped tiered pricing.

No i certainly do not, nor do i read that shite and see it as an insult that you would suggest it.

My point is, as a lifestyle product, it fits a lifestyle that i cant see existing, if you want to browse the web, get a laptop, if you want a mac, get a mac, the fact that it is user friendly is bollocks as if you give a computer half an hour of your time you will find it to is easy, if not as idiot proof as the ipad, but if your that much of an idiot i cant imagine you will have the ability to read anyway.

Apple could market anything and people would buy it, why, because its apple, its cool, its hip. Now I have an iphone, i enjoy the apps it has and like the user interface, I work on pcs, and the occasional mac, and am looking at the possibility of getting a mac.

In the next two years my income should go from little to very nice, so my disposable income will become less restricted, however I could not find a reason to own this device. It adds nothing, and is quite restrictive.

At the end of the day, to consider marketing, and cons as seperate is rather foolish, marketing is mainly about encouraging someone to buy something that without the marketing they would not need, they are not doing it to benefit the consumer, nor are they doing it to benefit the market. Many times when i worked in Unilever, important research that could actually be useful, would be canned as to spend more time working on the next marketers dream, something that may not improve the product but will fit in with the jargon.

The ipad has no market, and were it just named pad, would die a death similar to HD DVD, however brand power is strong, and the success of this device will just strangle innovation in the area and reward the marketeers.

Frankly, i buy my technology based on its use, and am happy to pay that bit extra for innovation, as that is what I crave, the idea of spending money. The more we reward items like this, the more the innovators decline.

Look what is happening in the movie industry and games industry. Bar the odd bit of excellent innovation a lot of the movies and games you see now are just a repeat of what you have seen before, maybe with a new character and a new location. Those that innovated are being pushed aside with the likes of EA buying the world, in the games industry.

I think your linking with the iphone is what sourced my reaction. The iPhone was an answer to a problem, devices at the time were not great on the internet, some were, but they had issues, and the iphone hit the market, being good on the net, an ipod, a capable email system, and the apps. Now this was not new, but it brought them together and placed itself in a market that was already there as a competitor, and won over, with people adopting it over other rivals.

However the truth is, the market was there, they were taking a market share, it was a all in one solution to a problem that was there.

The iPad is completely different, it is coming into a market that is not really there, many people use a laptop or mac to browse, they also can do work, play games and do none work things, like photo editing, all with decent processor speeds, if they are new laptops.

For the iPad to be succesful it needs to either create its own market share in a completely new area, or supplement the current one, at quite a cost, or replace it, which will result in it not being sufficient for a lot of peoples day to day lives.

The iphone was the all in one solution to a problem

the ipad is a limited device entering an uncertain market with limited (in terms of complete computing) market place

all in my opinion of course

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #536 on: February 2, 2010, 06:36:33 pm »
^
Hater.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #537 on: February 2, 2010, 07:27:02 pm »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: February 2, 2010, 08:13:13 pm »
He's joking. But you are.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: February 2, 2010, 08:25:52 pm »
Well at least we have a proper debate!

No i certainly do not, nor do i read that shite and see it as an insult that you would suggest it.

It was half said tongue in cheek. Apologies.

My point is, as a lifestyle product, it fits a lifestyle that i cant see existing,

Apple would disagree, otherwise the product wouldn't have got past the research and development department.

if you want to browse the web, get a laptop, if you want a mac, get a mac,

Interesting logic bar the bleedin' obvious (i.e. want Mac, get Mac). I can't agree that if you want to browse the web though, "get a laptop". You get whichever device form factor that suits you that is capable of browsing. Desktop, laptop, Smartphone, TV, Netbook, Tablet and so on.

the fact that it is user friendly is bollocks as if you give a computer half an hour of your time you will find it to is easy, if not as idiot proof as the ipad, but if your that much of an idiot i cant imagine you will have the ability to read anyway.

Not bollocks at all. The elegance of the iPad (and the iPhone) is you pick it up, you press a button, you touch an icon and it just runs with a consistent feel. Touch is so much more intuitive and intimate than guiding a pointer on a screen and hitting a button. I assume  "if your [sic] that much of an idiot" is general, and not intended directly at me - although the irony still remains, feel free to pull me up on typos and grammar though ;D. Either way, I know computers and technology more than most, and I've spent a fair bit of time analysing both consumer and enterprise markets in regard to end user experience. iPad, like iPhone ticks boxes, many. Whether the general public are ready for the format is debatable. You're (and many others) are proof of that. Tablets (Apple, HP, Asus, Google, etc....) as a technology will start to make many in roads into our digital lifestyles and how we interact with technology. In some years to come, you'll probably be asking "Why the fuck would I want a big lump of a laptop?".

Apple could market anything and people would buy it, why, because its apple, its cool, its hip.

Although there is 'some' truth in this, trust me, the Apple brand would have failed along time ago if they didn't consistently churn out high quality products. More so in such a competitive market.

Now I have an iphone, i enjoy the apps it has and like the user interface, I work on pcs, and the occasional mac, and am looking at the possibility of getting a mac.

In the next two years my income should go from little to very nice, so my disposable income will become less restricted, however I could not find a reason to own this device. It adds nothing, and is quite restrictive.

It's fairly next gen in terms of its usage and form. And I get that it's somehow hard to understand what it offers, or apparently lacks. It's so much more or less than a full blown OS, or a simple consumer smart phone. It really is in the middle, and one day tablets will have the computational power of today's laptops, but then they'll be significant power houses also. I think as Google establishes Android and Chromium, likely to hit tablet style devices soon, as well as MSFT's late to party WinMo 7, the iPad might start to make more sense. Low power, low (relatively) cost computing for digital lifestyle information and micro-application consumption. If you don't get it now (and you should because you have an iPhone) you will eventually. Apple just set sail a bit early.

At the end of the day, to consider marketing, and cons as seperate is rather foolish, marketing is mainly about encouraging someone to buy something that without the marketing they would not need, they are not doing it to benefit the consumer, nor are they doing it to benefit the market. Many times when i worked in Unilever, important research that could actually be useful, would be canned as to spend more time working on the next marketers dream, something that may not improve the product but will fit in with the jargon.

No, I agree, and thought I'd eluded to that fact. Marketing equals con the consumer, or there or thereabouts.

The ipad has no market, and were it just named pad, would die a death similar to HD DVD, however brand power is strong,

Honestly do you believe Apple would have spent 100s of millions of dollars on something that they believed didn't have a market, but they could mitigate though clever marketing, spin and a strong brand? No chance. How big of a market remains to be seen, but you only need to pinch a bit from the netbook market, and the emerging eReader (Kindle, PRS etc) market and you're starting to have some growth. I love my computers, my technology, but personally, I'm sick to death of having a laptop on my lap in front of the telly at night. For 'me' (and others who'll recognise the value) a low powered, instant on, easy consumption device is good for me.

and the success of this device will just strangle innovation in the area and reward the marketeers.

Just can't agree with that. Apple is the first tablet device to sail with a consumer low power OS (WinMo, Android etc), backed by a mature micro-application market from the iPhone legacy. This in itself is innovative and an example of commercially doing something right. And one thing to note about innovation, is that sometimes the consumer world just isn't ready for innovation as they've just about kept up with the latest this and that. Apple have played their cards right here, by starting with a desirable device in the cellular phone market, developing an accessible (if not locked) application market with a free SDK, 'and' marketed well. But yes, there are certain things they've done that I don't like, the lock-in mainly, but you can't really discredit it that much for it due to its huge, and meritable, success.

Frankly, i buy my technology based on its use, and am happy to pay that bit extra for innovation, as that is what I crave, the idea of spending money. The more we reward items like this, the more the innovators decline.

You should, but you clearly don't have the need, desire or realisation for a device such as this. However, as a betting man, I'll tell you that I'd wager you will in the future.

Look what is happening in the movie industry and games industry. Bar the odd bit of excellent innovation a lot of the movies and games you see now are just a repeat of what you have seen before, maybe with a new character and a new location. Those that innovated are being pushed aside with the likes of EA buying the world, in the games industry.

Quite differing markets though. Movies and gaming is all about creative story telling and interactivity. It's the medium's job to make the real world's impossible, possible in a fictional way - hence so many boundaries have already been pushed. Hardware and technology is all about incrementally making the real world do previously impossible things possible, and it takes a long time. Both are still under the heavy hammer of consumer reaction though, and twiddle with the formula too much and you create a sinking commercial ship - and it's that balancing act that attributes success or failure, along with good or bad marketing.

I think your linking with the iphone is what sourced my reaction. The iPhone was an answer to a problem, devices at the time were not great on the internet, some were, but they had issues, and the iphone hit the market, being good on the net, an ipod, a capable email system, and the apps. Now this was not new, but it brought them together and placed itself in a market that was already there as a competitor, and won over, with people adopting it over other rivals.

Yes and so so. Although having stolen market share from WinMo and Blackberry, Apples largest market is in new business, i.e. growth, not competition over rivals. Apple have grown the market as a whole, and in all honesty, I expect it won't last forever. Google and Microsoft will catch up, and spend the next 10 years slowly clawing it back - it's what the power houses have done in the past. Although I do have some doubts this time, so don't quote me on that.

However the truth is, the market was there, they were taking a market share, it was a all in one solution to a problem that was there.

As above, I don't completely agree. There was a market, they exploited it and grew it. Although Nokia published otherwise (as the cellular market is still growing regardless), the switchers from regular mobile phone to smart phone is the real market. I don't think it was so much a problem. More, oh that looks nice, and fuck me look what I can do with it, and isn't it dead easy.

The iPad is completely different, it is coming into a market that is not really there, many people use a laptop or mac to browse, they also can do work, play games and do none work things, like photo editing, all with decent processor speeds, if they are new laptops.

I don't agree, but I will say that the iPad market is much smaller than the iPhone, and I'm pretty sure Apple know that. Consumers aren't really arsed about processor speeds, they just want to pick something up and do it. The iPad isn't a convergence device that will do everything, and it's not meant to. Yes, there's stuff you need a computer to do, and again, that's not it's point. It probably squares up closer to the netbook than anything out there, and you wouldn't really want to edit photos/video on a netbook either. It's a netbook, you want to surf, do e-mail, update facebook, etc etc. You probably don't even want to type a big long document in it either, but if you must you can. Let's also remember the netbook market is fairly huge too, biggest YoY growth in any consumer technology device. No market? I disagree. How big? Don't know, but I think the activities from other vendors trying to push a tablet will highlight it. Oh and you can play games on it, a large market for the iPhone app store, it'll pinch a bit off the DS and perhaps the PSP.

For the iPad to be succesful it needs to either create its own market share in a completely new area, or supplement the current one, at quite a cost, or replace it, which will result in it not being sufficient for a lot of peoples day to day lives.

It will open up it's own market in a growth area - like iPhone. But may be not as hugely, and as I said, netbook, Kindle, Sony eReader, UMPC, PDA, DS and PSP will need to be on their toes.

The iphone was the all in one solution to a problem

Have I double quoted you here, or is there an echo :)

the ipad is a limited device entering an uncertain market with limited (in terms of complete computing) market place

The iPad is a computationally limited consumer device entering a market that has seen huge growth in the also computationally limited netbook space, and touch based micro-application usage.

all in my opinion of course

And all in mine too buddy :)

Nice debating with you, keep the gloves up above the waist :wave
« Last Edit: February 2, 2010, 08:30:28 pm by timiano »

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: February 2, 2010, 08:51:38 pm »

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: February 2, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »
Congratulations timiano, you now hold the RAWK record for the most separate quotes used from 1 post, (18). ;D
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: February 2, 2010, 09:14:32 pm »
Congratulations timiano, you now hold the RAWK record for the most separate quotes used from 1 post, (18). ;D

Trust me, I'm not even close :)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: February 2, 2010, 11:55:26 pm »
can i jailbreak a C5?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Walshy nMeŽ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #544 on: February 3, 2010, 12:11:58 am »
So when is 4.0 being released? :P

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #545 on: February 3, 2010, 12:44:48 am »
Timiano, thanks for your lengthy reply, however as I am browsing using my iPhone the UI does not really allow me to create a suitable reply, but rest assured, when I get to my laptop or work mac, I will be able to discuss further.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: February 3, 2010, 02:31:05 am »
Timiano, thanks for your lengthy reply, however as I am browsing using my iPhone the UI does not really allow me to create a suitable reply, but rest assured, when I get to my laptop or work mac, I will be able to discuss further.

See if you had a Ipad you could of replied straight away  ;)
choose Life.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: February 3, 2010, 08:36:17 am »
does anyone think they could touch type on an ipad
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Walshy nMeŽ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #548 on: February 3, 2010, 08:39:32 am »
Only on the keyboard bought seperately for Ł999.999 - that is awesome, and works like a dream.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: February 3, 2010, 08:50:22 am »

How the iPad was constructed :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #550 on: February 3, 2010, 09:08:39 am »
ElSmiff.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: February 3, 2010, 09:12:09 am »
oh christ

i'm leaving the internets
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: February 3, 2010, 09:29:58 am »

if anyone has posted this already can you delete yours, thanks
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Walshy nMeŽ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #553 on: February 3, 2010, 09:58:45 am »
Might as well delete yours too smiff, it's shit.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: February 3, 2010, 11:30:58 am »
Hate wading into arguments late but, as much as touch/tablet devices may be the way technology is going the iPad, like every other Apple device will be successful simply because of it's marketing.  I mean, what does it really allow you to do? Watch videos? If you're at home then you've got your TV for that. Surf the net?  Well fair point, but what if you're not at home? You can't take it on holiday and expect to get wifi coverage everywhere.  Read e-books?  Sure - great idea but I still think that's a fairly niche market at the moment.  Listen to music?  Most people do that on the move.  You simply wouldn't want to carry an iPad around for that purpose.  Playing games?  Again, yes, but if you're a serious gamer, you'd get a dedicated console.  Most of the games you can get on the iStore (or whatever it's called) are for 3 year olds.

Personally, I just don't get the iPad. Sure it's great for some things but it's not as flexible as an iPhone or as fully-featured as a laptop, so what's the point of it?

I'd like to see what Microsoft's Courier has to offer by way of comparison.  I'm sure it will be much more capable.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #555 on: February 3, 2010, 11:48:47 am »
See if you had a Ipad you could of replied straight away  ;)

Try looking behind you, for the point you missed

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: February 3, 2010, 11:56:22 am »
I'd like to see what Microsoft's Courier has to offer by way of comparison.  I'm sure it will be much more capable.

What makes you so sure exactly? The fact it doesn't have a piece of fruit with a bite out of it on the back?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: February 3, 2010, 11:58:08 am »
the courier will be a piece of shit as well
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: February 3, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »
What makes you so sure exactly? The fact it doesn't have a piece of fruit with a bite out of it on the back?

Yes, exactly!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: February 3, 2010, 12:01:21 pm »
the courier will be a piece of shit as well

What makes you say that?