Author Topic: Match Preview - Crystal Palace vs Liverpool - August 20th 2018 20:00pm  (Read 55899 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Crystal Palace F.C vs Liverpool F.C

Monday 20th August 2018 - 8pm

Venue: Selhurst Park

Managers: Roy Hodgson and Jurgen Klopp.

Last six results between the teams at Selhurst Park:

5th May 2014 - Crystal Palace 3 Liverpool 3.
23rd November 2014 - Crystal Palace 3 Liverpool 1
16th May 2015 -  Crystal Palace 1 Liverpool 3
6th March 2016 - Crystal Palace 1 Liverpool 2
29th October 2017 - Crystal Palace 2 Liverpool 4
31st March 2018 - Crystal Palace 1 Liverpool 2

Liverpool wins: 4.
Draws: 1.
Crystal Palace wins: 1.
Both teams score: All 6.
Over 2.5 goals: All 6.

Liverpool started the season brightly in their first match of the season dispatching a lacklustre West Ham 4 goals to nil with a Mane brace, Salah off and running with a tap in and Sturridge netting one of the quickest goals you'll ever see after coming off the bench right at the end. To try and continue the momentum from that fixture, Jurgen's men travel to South London to take on Crystal Palace in this weekend's Monday night affair. Their opposition, Crystal Palace, come into their first home game of the season off the back of a solid 2-0 away win against newly promoted and heavily strengthened Fulham. The scorers for Crystal Palace on Saturday were the constantly impressing and arguably their most important player in Wilfried Zaha, as well as Jeffrey Schlupp, who scored his first goal for the Eagles after signing from Leicester in January of 2017.

The win over Fulham was only the third time in ten premier league campaigns that Crystal Palace have started the season with a win. In some ways this sets up the visit of Liverpool as a sort of 'bonus' game for them with three points already under their belts and now they have the opportunity to go out in front of their home crowd for the first time this season and just give it their best shot against a Liverpool side widely tipped to perform strongly in the league this season. It is a Liverpool side that since the summer of last year now has a spine to the team that reads Alisson, Van Dijk, Keita and Firmino. With the history of the fixture usually showcasing lots of goals from both sides, it appears we could be watching an absolute cracker on Monday night.

Crystal Palace fans are pretty unique in England for having their own Ultras section, which mimics some of the noisy and colourful support that you usually see on the continent. With the game kicking off at 8pm you will imagine that if anything they will be louder and more boisterous than they are during the afternoon weekend matches after a getting a few post work pints in their bellies. With Liverpool looking to get into the first international break with as many points as possible and to keep pace with Manchester City and with the game taking place as the last fixture of the weekend after the completition of the others, there is already a feeling that it could be a pivotal early contest. Especially considering that following this potentially tricky away game, Liverpool have a relatively comfortable match up against Brighton at home which they should be expecting to win. Crystal Palace on the other hand, make the short trip to Watford.

For Liverpool, they once again come up against Roy Hodgson in the opposite dugout, who had a tumultuous time at Liverpool himself, riling a lot of fans with negative football and poor results before he was eventually (and rarely for Liverpool) booted out as manager midway through a season in January 2011. Brendan Rodgers being the only other manager to leave during a season since the turn of the millennium when he was let go in October 2015 to make way for the current incumbent, Jurgen Klopp. Roy Hodgson also had a fairly infamous tenure as England manager, with Crystal Palace being his first domestic job since he left the England post after a shambolic display against Iceland. The only meeting that Liverpool have had against Roy Hodgson as Palace manager was the back end of last season when they ran out 2-1 winners in a match also at Selhurst Park.

For my scribe piece, I reached out to someone who I know is very passionate and cares a lot about following Crystal Palace and asked if he would be up for an interview discussing the game, Liverpool and more generally Crystal Palace for those of us who don't follow them that closely. Joe Walker is a Crystal Palace season ticket holder and former writer for their Flying High fanzine. He can often be seen on various fan media discussing football and especially The Eagles. Joe is also a voice on Apple Music's Beats 1 and London's Reprezent Radio and has written articles for RWD Mag, one of the UK's top youth culture and lifestyle magazines.

What follows is our discussion.

With the transfer window closed on the 9th of August, Crystal Palace brought in in Cheick Kouyate, Vicente Guaita, Jordan Ayew and Max Meyer. Which of them in particular are you looking forward to seeing this season and why?

Most Palace fans are excited to see what Max Meyer brings to the team. I must admit I hadn't seen much of him at Schalke but the signing has been suggested as a major coup, even if his time over there ended under a cloud. However, at Palace he'll be allowed to play in the box-to-box role he prefers, which will hopefully bring out the sort of performances that attracted the 'German Messi' tag upon him a couple of seasons ago. He's still only 22, so even if there are question marks about him that kept bigger clubs away, it's a risk Palace are willing to take.

What is your opinion on the business done by Crystal Palace this summer, and are you happy with it?

I think the club's done pretty well in the circumstances. Between stadium expansion plans and necessary over-spending under previous management - Sam Allardyce's £70m trolley dash in his one transfer window at Palace almost certainly kept us up that season, but the wages-to-turnover ratio is one of the worst in the Premier League - there hasn't been a lot of money for Hodgson to play with since his arrival, but the squad is looking decent. Meyer looks to be the best possible replacement for Yohan Cabaye, who departed on a free to Dubai this summer, while Guaita brings much-needed competition between the sticks. Jordan Ayew and Kouyate are unlikely to start every game, but improve the depth of a squad that looked desperately thin when there were a few injuries last season.

Of course, the best bit of work this summer was shooing away any interest in Wilfried Zaha. It's difficult to argue that he is worth in excess of £70m to Palace, with the club's Premier League status a genuine uncertainty in his absence, but those clubs most interested in him - Spurs, chiefly - are least likely to part with that sort of money on one player. What a shame, eh?

If you would have had the funds for an extra player or could have got an extra body in, whereabouts on the pitch do you think would have been the priority for Palace and why, and would you have had anyone in particular in mind if it could have been possible?

With Guaita's arrival hopefully resolving the goalkeeping situation, which has needed addressing for at least three years, the remaining question marks in Palace's starting XI is on the left wing of the 4-4-2, where Jeffrey Schlupp hasn't stayed fit long enough to completely convince, and perhaps most importantly up front. Goals haven't been a problem under Hodgson, but the strikers in the squad need to chip in more this year. Christian Benteke's confidence looked shot to bits in the last campaign, and if he still hasn't recovered in front of goal then it would be best if he was moved on - to China, hopefully - and the money spent on a replacement. Who though, I'm not exactly sure.

What do you believe would constitute a good season for Crystal Palace in 2018/2019? Is it simply a matter of staying up however you can, or is there anything more tangible you'd like to see? A cup run? Better performances in specific games? Is there a particular result that went horribly wrong last season that you'd like to see put right?

Roy Hodgson revealed in a pre-season press conference that chairman Steve Parish has simply demanded survival again, and while the relatively low summer spending seems to match that lack of ambition I would still be desperately disappointed to see Palace near the bottom of the table for any real period of time. By simply scoring at Fulham on the opening day, we have already improved upon the opening seven games of last season, and if we avoid the injury crises of last time out - the worst I've seen in my years supporting the club - there's no reason why we shouldn't be looking at improving upon last season's finish of 11th. Sides we finished above have improved, but I still fancy our best starting XI against most teams in the division.

As for results to put right, look no further than Anfield. Frank de Boer should've been sacked even sooner than he was last season for losing up there, that fixture's been a guaranteed three points for years! (Authors note: Of the last five Premier League games at Anfield, Crystal Palace have won 4 and lost 1).

You've ended up with a few players now that have played for Liverpool previously. Namely Christian Benteke, Mamadou Sakho and Martin Kelly. What do you make of their contributions thus far and are you expecting to see a bit more out of one or more of them in particular in the coming season?

Benteke had a really strong debut season with us, with Allardyce playing to his strengths, but while his aerial stats remained a league-high last campaign he struggled in front of goal. An injury time penalty miss (having demanded the ball from our regular penalty taker) turned the crowd on him, which along with multiple spells out injured, sapped his confidence, costing him his place in the Palace side and Belgium's World Cup squad. His third and final league goal last season was a slightly patronising penalty in a 5-0 win, which hopefully felt as redemptive to him as the players and Palace crowd wanted it to be. He started in a front two with Zaha in our opening match at Fulham, and they combined far better than at any point last season, which is promising. A refreshed and happy Benteke can be a huge threat and I wouldn't write him off yet.

Sakho has been excellent for us, when fit. Injuries meant it wasn't until the Spring this year that he began to replicate the sort of defensive performances that we saw during his superhero loan spell, but they came just in time. Our centre back pairing of Sakho & James Tomkins is currently on an unbeaten run of 16 games together, which may well come to an end on Monday night but gives fans great confidence in defence. As your supporters will already know, Sakho can look a bit like Bambi on ice in possession but that's part of his charm, and a club of our stature is still getting used to having a centre back that doesn't want to hit long diagonals upfield at the first opportunity. If he stays injury-free, he could have a great season.

With an entire squad fit, Martin Kelly is probably our third choice right back and fourth-choice centre back, but he's a reliable option that hasn't kicked up a fuss, and injuries have meant he always gets at least 15 games or so in a season. If he wanted to move elsewhere for more minutes, though, it'd be wrong to stand in his way.

Speaking of people that have progressed from Liverpool to Crystal Palace, although this time not directly and via England, we've obviously had an infamous period in our history with Roy Hodgson in charge. How have you found him as manager? I guess when he came to us, there was a general consensus, especially once he left, that he was a mediocre manager, suited for mediocre teams. That could be a little unfair given our expectations, and I do know of Fulham and West Brom fans that took to him quite a bit. What's the general mood over him as manager and the style of football with yourself and other fans of Palace? Obviously he's over 70 now and unlikely to be building a dynasty!

We love Roy here at Palace, but can more than understand why he's not well-loved at Liverpool. His coaching style has been described by ex-pros who've played under him as monotonous and repetitive, with his players coming round to it as they eventually see the very real difference it all makes on the pitch, and you can just imagine how that would go down with the calibre of players (and daresay egos!) you see at Anfield and indeed the England squad. Fulham, West Brom and ourselves were all in need of help at the bottom end of the table when he arrived at those respective clubs, and the players were probably more receptive to his methods (and sooner) out of desperation. The style of football has been enjoyable thus far, but then we had few complaints under Pulis or Allardyce in their short times with us either! With wingers like Zaha and Townsend on the team Palace will always be a big counter-attacking threat, and we simply don't lose to bottom half teams under Hodgson, which gives us great hope.

Roy's just turned 71, and although he signed a two-year deal last week we'd be naive to look to him for several more years in charge. He has a young first team coach in Steven Reid that may well be groomed for the Palace job upon Hodgson's retirement, with an outside shout for Dougie Freedman, our former manager and now Director of Football, brought back into the dugout at some point.

What do you make of the current ownership of Crystal Palace?

The US investors that bought into the club a couple of years ago aren't regularly in attendance and trust in chairman Steve Parish, the remaining member of our CPFC2010 consortium that rescued the club from administration, to make the big calls. Parish is arguably one of the best chairmen Palace have had in living memory but has attracted criticism from some sections of the fanbase, not least with a frequency of media appearances that reminds some fans a little too much of Simon Jordan. Ever the dreamer, Parish has given the green light to a couple of ill-fated attempts at changing the style of play with disastrous results, most recently when responding to Sam Allardyce's 'retirement' with a Frank de Boer revolution despite having just let Sam empty the bank account on players that don't fit the Ajax mould. He has usually been quick to admit the error of his ways - sacking de Boer after four games a clear example - and has tried to back his managers in the transfer market whenever possible so I personally have no complaints. This is Palace's longest-ever run in the top flight, after all.

Can you think of a couple of your favourite matches that first spring to mind when you think of Crystal Palace and Liverpool toughing it out? Obviously, I immediately think of a torrid one from the back end of 2014 and feel free to mention that one if it's one that stands out for you, but free free to mention a couple of others if there are any?

'Crystanbul' was indeed a once-in-a-lifetime experience, but one of my favourite ever Palace matches is the win at Anfield in Steven Gerrard's last home game for you. I'm too young to remember Palace's golden era in the early 90s so at the time it still felt very surreal to see The Eagles winning comfortably at the home of a team like Liverpool. Palace have had an impressive run results against you over the years, often in the cup or at home in a blood-and-guts performance, but seeing Bolasie, Puncheon & Zaha taking the proverbial at Anfield was a feeling I wish I could buy in pill form. To top it all off, we stayed after the game to watch Gerrard's farewell celebration, which was surreal in itself.

As this is going up on a Liverpool forum, what's the worst or most painful defeat that immediately springs to mind when you think of matches against Liverpool? It's only fair after giving you the opportunity to get in your favourite matches against us!

The 9-0 in 1989 seems the obvious choice, although I was born just after so it doesn't inflict too much pain personally, plus most Palace fans saw the 4-3 FA Cup Semi-Final win over you later that season as the perfect redemption. In terms of personal experience, there was an injury time 2-1 defeat at Selhurst Park a couple of years ago that was particularly frustrating. We looked in complete control at 1-0 only to capitulate against your ten men, with Firmino equalising after our keeper fell over and Benteke seeming to dive for a stoppage time penalty that he duly dispatched. I didn't wet my pants in the way that a lot of Palace fans did that day - there was an embarrassing petition calling for a Benteke suspension that got way too much traction - but I hated how we threw it away. It's been pretty rosy against you besides that!

If you were given the opportunity to take any player from the Liverpool squad to put into the Palace team, which one do you think would help you most and why? Doesn't have to be a realistic transfer, just in terms of what they might bring to you?

If we were to look picking someone for the Palace side in Hodgson's 4-4-2, I would probably take Firmino to have up top as I'm a big fan of his forward play. However this is my fantasy land, in which Palace play 4-3-3, so I would have Mo Salah in a front three with Zaha and Benteke. A nightmare for anyone.

At the start of the season when the fixtures come out, I always immediately look for the likes of Everton and Man United home and away. A quick look at who we play over December. Some match going fans of ours immediately look for the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth and whether they fall when it might be a hot weekend. What fixtures were you looking for immediately at the start of the summer when they were released?

Though heavy policing means we don't get to enjoy the away trip in the same way as every other club, Brighton is the first game I look for. The thing I desperately missed since promotion was a genuine derby and while our rivalry bemuses most other clubs, it doesn't get a lot more intense. The miserable sod in me always has a look at the run-in too, in case we make a meal of our season again.

What do you make of Liverpool's transfer business this summer and which of our signings do you believe will make the biggest impact for us?

Liverpool look to have improved in all the areas they needed to, and I like the way you've done business early, even if it meant spending more than you might not necessarily want to. Keita looked impressive from what I saw against West Ham, and I'm sure he'll be a big player for you this season. The impact of Allison won't be as obvious but will be just as important.

How do you see Liverpool's season playing out?

The title still seems optimistic, what with City's all-conquering side, but I think you'll be their closest challengers.

Finally, the score prediction. What do you think the score will be when the two sides meet? While we've won the last two there, neither were particularly easy, can it be made difficult for us again?

We can be assured of a cracking end-to-end game under the lights at Selhurst Park, and I back Palace to get at least a goal, but if Liverpool play like they did last weekend then they should still come away with the points.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: Match Preview - Crystal Palace vs Liverpool - August 20th 2018 20:00pm
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 12:19:42 pm »
Excellent stuff. Many thanks for the OP  :wave

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 12:22:29 pm »
really enjoyable opening post ..... roll on monday.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:46:57 pm »
I'm really trying to let myself believe and not see every game as a potential banana skin. This, based on the horrors of 13/14 is a fixture that usually sends shivers down my spine but this season WILL be different. We are awesome, and will have too much for these.

1-3 To LFC. Salah, Bobby and Sturridge.

Allison

TTA       Gomez        VVD      Robertson

Henderson

Milner                      Keita

Salah               Bobby           Mane

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 01:09:12 pm »
Selhurst Park has always felt like a hard place to get a result for us historically, don’t think I’d realised until seeing it written down that we’d won our last 4 games there, so hopefully that’s changed.
This still feels like the type of game that we need to get 3 points from if we’re to challenge for the title, by that I mean the type that we’ve ended up dropping points too often in the past where we know we should be doing better.
Hopefully it’ll be another performance like the first half on Sunday, but I’d happily take another scrapped 2-1 for now as it’s ultimately the points that are the most important thing here.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 01:22:51 pm »
I can honestly see us winning by three or four without reply, although obviously I would take any win.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »
Keep the same team..... if it aint broke and all that.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 01:43:55 pm »
Always a close game between us when it's at their place [apart from that 4-2 two years ago]. It was great grinding out a win against them last season there, after an international break and a midweek CL game to follow, so I am expecting us to be much sharper and fresher this time around.

Their main threats

1. Zaha, keep him quiet and there is no creativity from them
2. Benteke's flick ons
3. Set pieces

They are going to park the bus,sit deep and so the space between the midfield and their back four will not be existent like it was against West Ham, which is where Keita will be prove to be cruical [and perhaps Shaqiri when he comes on]

Will be interesting to see who Klopp plays  as the #6, due to the struggles we had with the 2nd balls last time around, will depend on the fitness of both Fabinho and Henderson, but I'd prefer Fabinho to start and Henderson to come on in the 2nd half like he did against West Ham. There's no need to rush him.

Keita has to play, and so the question will remain on who is the other #8 between Gini and Milner.

If we can score early within the first 20 minutes, I'll say s a difficult 2-0 win for us.

Becker

Trent
Gomez
Van Dijk
Robertson

Fabinho
Keita
Wijnaldum

Salah
Bobby
Mane

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:44:33 pm »
Hij, great job mate - fun OP read!

3 points here and a clean sheet would be another marker!   Michael Oliver in the middle not bad either.

I hope we can deal with their pace on the counter.  I hope we can break them down in a block of eight.

I hope!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 01:46:19 pm »
A down to earth Palace fan?! Don't believe that for a second!

Will be working and not able to watch the game, annoyingly. Would go same team if poss, maybe Hendo in to start but very happy with the same 11 all said and done. Can see us scoring 3 or 4 again if we get off to a decent start but do think their attack will give us a bigger headache than West Ham's. Gomez will certainly have to be on his game whether he's looking after Benteke or Zaha!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 01:51:59 pm »
Hope Trent is switched on from the off. Zaha gave him the runaround in the first half down there last season.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 02:00:00 pm »
Hope Trent is switched on from the off. Zaha gave him the runaround in the first half down there last season.

Hard to blame that on Trent when both Henderson and Matip were not winning the headers in midfield which allowed space for Zaha to run into.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 02:05:14 pm »
I am more confident for this game this season than last season. They are going to play a low block or park-the-bus and hit us on the break anyway, but this time we have the players to break the bus down and cope with their counters

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 02:15:18 pm »
Is this the game for a greater aerial threat at the base of midfield in Fabinho?
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 02:20:43 pm »
You lost me at "youth culture".  :P

Nice little interview that.  Thanks for the effort, HiJ.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 02:22:37 pm »
As well as we played on Sunday these will be a much sterner test than West Ham (who had nothing)

Id be tempted to play both Hendo and Fabinho behind Keita to give us a bit more solidity in the MF area which I think we may need. Rest of the team same as.

Still should have too much for these mind.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 02:25:46 pm »
Always a close game between us when it's at their place [apart from that 4-2 two years ago]. It was great grinding out a win against them last season there, after an international break and a midweek CL game to follow, so I am expecting us to be much sharper and fresher this time around.

Their main threats

1. Zaha, keep him quiet and there is no creativity from them
2. Benteke's flick ons
3. Set pieces

They are going to park the bus,sit deep and so the space between the midfield and their back four will not be existent like it was against West Ham, which is where Keita will be prove to be cruical [and perhaps Shaqiri when he comes on]

Will be interesting to see who Klopp plays  as the #6, due to the struggles we had with the 2nd balls last time around, will depend on the fitness of both Fabinho and Henderson, but I'd prefer Fabinho to start and Henderson to come on in the 2nd half like he did against West Ham. There's no need to rush him.

Keita has to play, and so the question will remain on who is the other #8 between Gini and Milner.

If we can score early within the first 20 minutes, I'll say s a difficult 2-0 win for us.

Becker

Trent
Gomez
Van Dijk
Robertson

Fabinho
Keita
Wijnaldum

Salah
Bobby
Mane

Not sure i would be dropping Milly, he was our best player at the weekend. Especially against shithouse owlface tactics. Think we need his PL experience. Fabinho's time will come, in spades. But i'd stick with Milner on Monday.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 02:30:33 pm »
Not sure i would be dropping Milly, he was our best player at the weekend. Especially against shithouse owlface tactics. Think we need his PL experience. Fabinho's time will come, in spades. But i'd stick with Milner on Monday.

If Milner is playing it won't be at the expense of Fabinho, but we can't line up the same midfield we did against West Ham, either Hendo or Fabinho need to start in this game.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 02:40:24 pm »
;D Think you are overdoing their threat a bit. It's Crystal Palace with all due respect to them not Barca away in a CL Semi.

You can't have Gini as a 6 against a long ball team that is going to specifically target that area and look to win the 2nd balls through Zaha.

It has nothing to do with Barca, barca don't play that way.

We didn't need to worry about that against West Ham, but Palace play that way and they did so last year, that's why it was difficult.

We are not altering the way we are playing, we are just negating their main threat with a quality player suited to the role, either Henderson or Fabinho but playing Wijnaldum there would be foolish.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 02:47:04 pm »
Really curious what midfield Klopp will pick for this game. Everyone will be available, and Milner and Gini looked good in the first game. Keita is given, but other than that anything is possible.

Offline mentalgellar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 02:49:02 pm »
I feel like this will be a real indication of whether we have eradicated the inadequacies of last season. A Palace team with Hodgson at the helm is something that could easily nick a point off us. I am an optimist though and as such I feel we will get an early goal and win 3-0.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 02:51:16 pm »
Hodgson will be pragmatic and defensive. He'll look to get counters to Zaha and / or flick on's to Benteke. Starve Palace of possession and releasing the ball to either of those two and it makes the battle slightly easier.

Zaha didn't play last time but we were running on empty with CL obligations.

Think we'll nick it 2 - 0 with a penalty from Mane and a Bobby header from a set play.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 02:54:13 pm »
Hang on did Zaha play in the tie last season?

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 02:59:41 pm »
Pretty nervous for this. Palace away is always a fixture I dread, even though our recent record at Selhurst Park is decent. I watched their match with Fulham and they played exactly how you would expect them to. Fulham dominated possession, did not create much, and ultimately were punished by Schlupp and Zaha (although Fabri was poor for both goals in my opinion).

As I mentioned in the Fabinho thread, I expect him to start in place of Milner. Benteke won far too many headers and that was their main threat against us, and starting Fabinho will help ensure that doesn't happen again. The rest of the side will stay the same.

1-3 Liverpool
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 03:17:01 pm »
Nice one Hij. And thanks to Joe. I love the spyin’ kops.
Zaha is one of my favourite non- L.pool players so I’m always a little wary of him and the damage he can do.
And Meyer sounds like a decent signing with a lot of experience already for a 22 year old.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »
I get your point but think you are overdoing it a bit. We've had Wijnaldum at CB away to a hoofing side before (was that "foolish"?) and destroyed them. If we are on it there's nothing they can do, whether we have a 5'10 fella at 6 or 6ft or whatever. I think last year was just attitude rather than bothering us with a particularly tactic. Was off an international break and we had City in a few days.

It wasn't an attitude issue, we had the same problem against United, same tactic same exact thing, long balls to Lukaku, second balls won by Rashford and both goals end up being scored that way. So i don't see how this is an attitude issue when it's something that we have been repeatedly susceptible to

Brighton don't pose the same aerial threat and problem that Palace do, thats why we played the way we did and battered them. A 5'6 Wijnaldum is not going to win headers consistently against Benteke. I love Gini, an I love what he brings to this side, but as a #6 against this lot, you can't play that way.

Henderson or Fabinho have to play in the role.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »
It wasn't an attitude issue, we had the same problem against United, same tactic same exact thing, long balls to Lukaku, second balls won by Rashford and both goals end up being scored that way. So i don't see how this is an attitude issue when it's something that we have been repeatedly susceptible to

Brighton don't pose the same aerial threat and problem that Palace do, thats why we played the way we did and battered them. A 5'6 Wijnaldum is not going to win headers consistently against Benteke. I love Gini, an I love what he brings to this side, but as a #6 against this lot, you can't play that way.

Henderson or Fabinho have to play in the role.

Agree with all of this. Brighton are hardly a hoofing side either. They played some pretty decent stuff last season under Hughton.

Against Brighton, we also struggled to create anything until Can scored around the 30th minute, and then scored two minutes later thanks to a great counterattack. Brighton completely opened up after that, but it wasn't exactly a walk in the park.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:50:16 pm by Lynndenberries »
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 03:56:09 pm »
Enjoyable preview, Hij, nice work. Hadn't realised our recent record there was quite so good, I've always thought of Palace as a bit of a bogey team for us. Should hopefully stand us in good stead for Monday.

Need another three points here - I expect City to be perfect from here until they play us so we need to be as close to them as possible when that game comes around.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2018, 04:08:49 pm »
Nice one Hij. And thanks to Joe. I love the spyin’ kops.
Zaha is one of my favourite non- L.pool players so I’m always a little wary of him and the damage he can do.
And Meyer sounds like a decent signing with a lot of experience already for a 22 year old.
It was only once I had finished it that I realised it was half preview and half a spying Kop but with the game so close I thought it  was best to just go with it. Hopefully haven’t stepped on anyone’s toes!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 04:14:37 pm »
Wonderful OP, although I wouldn't spend anymore time on reading up about Palace anytime sooner with all that information and my general idea of them as a club. They don't make a good impression on me.

As for the game, I would think this is a game for Clyne and Fabinho to play, considering the weakness we had in our game last season. Fabinho is good in the air and Clyne has good awareness in defense.

This is one of our 1st tests of the season, so we need to be a bit cautious in terms of our line-up and general approach. They've always tried to make it difficult for us, their ground is a bit smaller I think and they always keep their grass dry against us so that it's harder for us to pass it around (I think Palace and West Brom are two sides who do it against big sides especially us, which explains their recent successes over us). I've always observed that our players have had difficulty in passing in these grounds. Apart from that, they'll try to play at a very slow tempo to get us also playing in the slow tempo which in turn will make it difficult to break their bus.

Considering their pitch, the recent games against them, their likely set-up - double decker bus, and their flick-ons for Zaha to run through - we need to be at our best physically, technically, tactically and more importantly, mentally as well. Last season, we managed to come back from behind to win the game in this fixture, we might need that resolve again.

In short, I don't think this will be easy and it's likely to be the 1st real test of this season.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 04:16:32 pm »
Utd was pretty much all Lovren though so not sure that backs up your point, we could have had a Mascherano with Peter Crouch's height at 6 there and it's no use if the ball is hoofed to other areas of the pitch. The two examples of games you are using we've played with two talls lads at 6 and you say we struggled so perhaps it's not as simple as putting the tallest lad in? Being intelligent enough to read the game is more important for me, Wijnaldum is plenty intelligent enough to read knocks downs and stuff. Though no problem with Fabinho or Hendo playing, both are boss but don't see them as musts or we'll fail to win like you seem to.

United was tactically nowhere 'all Lovren' and this been discussed to death before.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 04:20:01 pm »
I was talking about the aerial challenges, quite obviously. Not that the whole game or faults were entirely on him.

I'm talking about the aerial challenges as well. Can failed to challenge/provide cover. You'd think that's the role of the midfield anchor and this was pretty much established many times in this forum.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 04:20:07 pm »
0-3 Liverpool

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 04:23:13 pm »
Exactly, and Can is huge so you're proving my point that it's not all about putting the biggest 6 in against aerial sides.

Not at all. Can failed to deal with it due to his tactical limitations. Not physical limitations. Fabinho is believed to be better tactically, so he should definitely be able to help out here.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 04:27:31 pm »
Utd was pretty much all Lovren though so not sure that backs up your point, we could have had a Mascherano with Peter Crouch's height at 6 there and it's no use if the ball is hoofed to other areas of the pitch. The two examples of games you are using we've played with two talls lads at 6 and you say we struggled so perhaps it's not as simple as putting the tallest lad in? Being intelligent enough to read the game is more important for me, Wijnaldum is plenty intelligent enough to read knocks downs and stuff. Though no problem with Fabinho or Hendo playing, both are boss but don't see them as musts or we'll fail to win like you seem to.

Where did I say that we will fail?   ;D

Lovren was all over the place, in part because the midfield could NOT deal with the send balls in that area, the #6 needs to command and dominate which will help the CB's better react and be better positioned. Lovren is a front foot defender, and if he steps up to challenge the ball because the #6 is losing it, and doesn't win it, then he get's exposed.

The #6 needs to occupy the proper space in midfield to make it difficult for the 2nd balls to be flicked on to the ongoing runners in behind the back four, that way the CB's are not being drawn out of place, and risking on being exposed wide open.

The #6 positioning himself properly on the long ball target [ie Benteke] and winning the duels prevents the CB's from having to make risks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 04:30:16 pm »
;D Exactly, the position is more about intelligence, thank you, you don't need to be a giant to play 6. The idea that Wijnaldum can't play 6 v the mighty Crystal Palace is laughable. He's plenty smart enough to do it.

The position is about a combination of things. It's not ONE or the OTHER.

You can't have tactical awareness but not have the physical attributes in order to deal with bigger players, unless you are Fabio cannavaro [in terms of getting high in the air and winning duels]

Emre Can had the physical requirements but he was poor in terms of position so his physicality and ability to win balls in the air was ineffective because he was in the wrong spot!

Not because his height wasn't important!

If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't have signed Fabinho and we would be playing Wijnaldum as the #6 ahead of Henderson on a consistent basis.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:19 pm »
;D Exactly, the position is more about intelligence, thank you, you don't need to be a giant to play 6. The idea that Wijnaldum can't play 6 v the mighty Crystal Palace is laughable. He's plenty smart enough to do it.

The best thing is to wait and watch  ;D

No they're not. But haven't they been a difficult team for us in recent years? Even the away games we won, two of them were extremely close and we came back from behind to win them.

I'm not saying Gini cannot play No. 6 in this game, but you're moving your goal-posts from physical to tactical characteristics over which is more important. I'm saying neither is more important over the other. You need both physical presence in the air and tactical awareness at No. 6 to play for a pressing team (us) especially against sides who have a big Center-Forward who likes to do flick-ons. Last season Can was probably in the team to do that, but he failed to do it because of his lack of tactical awareness. The best player we have under these circumstances is Fabinho.

Klopp knows best anyway.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:33 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for really interesting op hij. I have a personal dilemma as a neighbour is a Palace fan and I don’t usually invite him when we play them but feel tempted to!
I think Hendo and Fabinho start, with Keita and the front three.
That should deal with their threat on the break and give four the chance to put them to the sword with support from either flank.
Win this and the table should look pretty healthy as we get nearer to September 👍
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 04:32:43 pm »
Well, you're the one saying the manager is "foolish" if Wijnaldum is 6 and that one of Hendo or Fabinho "need to play" so you can't fancy our chances if the same midfield starts surely otherwise why all the worry? I don't really mind any of them playing but if it's Wij who's the 6 we'll be absolutely fine.

So since when did foolish equal to failing automatically? We can win 5-4, win 3 points but still be foolish because we didn't protect our defenders enough.

Nice of you to ignore the rest of the post.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 04:35:07 pm »
Exactly, and Can is huge so you're proving my point that it's not all about putting the biggest 6 in against aerial sides.

Fabinho isn't just a big lad though, he boasts the best heading ability in our midfield. Can was never that good with his head.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke