Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3304436 times)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #18880 on: September 11, 2018, 12:20:24 pm »
I usually really enjoy it but this one I had to turn off - I just couldn't listen to it.

I love the Anfield Wrap and this is the first time I have ever criticised it.

Similar. And listen, it's a very minor point overall, intended as constructive criticism.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18881 on: September 11, 2018, 12:29:59 pm »
Just shows that people are different. I usually think TAW is witty with a certain intelligence to it. I was thinking during AFQ on Friday "Who are these morons"? Thought it was absolute shite, but I guess I could have swerved it.

A similar thought dawned on me in the AFQ when The Wire was apparently shite and they proceeded to talk about Love Island for ages   :D Content isn't really aimed at me so I usually just swerve the 'social' podcasts when I see certain contributors.

Still love all the football podcasts though, most recently I thought 'The Greatest: Seasons in the Sun' was a fantastic listen, the treble season was probably my first proper early LFC memory and it was great to hear people who were there describing it in-depth. Robbo, Atkinson, Ben Johnson, Gutman is also a hell of a line-up and would make anything entertaining to be fair.
"so we're just forgetting the European Cup season then?"
"we finished below Everton lad"
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #18882 on: September 11, 2018, 12:58:44 pm »
A similar thought dawned on me in the AFQ when The Wire was apparently shite and they proceeded to talk about Love Island for ages   :D Content isn't really aimed at me so I usually just swerve the 'social' podcasts when I see certain contributors.

Still love all the football podcasts though, most recently I thought 'The Greatest: Seasons in the Sun' was a fantastic listen, the treble season was probably my first proper early LFC memory and it was great to hear people who were there describing it in-depth. Robbo, Atkinson, Ben Johnson, Gutman is also a hell of a line-up and would make anything entertaining to be fair.
"so we're just forgetting the European Cup season then?"
"we finished below Everton lad"

Maybe they'll be a film about Jonno in Australia. That would have some stories I'm sure

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #18883 on: September 11, 2018, 03:42:53 pm »
I love AFQ - really look forward to it every week but I think that was the first one I have had to turn off. I thought it was because I was in the car and maybe the audio balance was hard but quickly realised it was because it was shouty and as others mentioned, a lot of people talking over one another and side conversations going on. I quite enjoy how chaotic it is at times and love that sense that maybe the group look forward to that show after a week in the office - like most people who look forward to a Friday evening and that first drink to start the weekend, they can have a few drinks and unwind with their mates. I think that's why it's so good - they are relaxed and with mates. But yeah, didn't enjoy this weeks at all. Have since finished it with headphones and it was as bad as I thought. It's hard when one person dominates all the questions, answering first and talks over others. Neil normally has quite a good steer on it but think it was just one of them. As others have said, I'm sure it will be back to its brilliant best next time.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18884 on: September 11, 2018, 05:25:20 pm »
AFQ is one of the few Podcasts that frequently give me a good hearty-chuckle, that's a brilliant thing, but it does depend on who is on. Generally I really like it.

But I think what a few people are saying above is that the exuberance and ebullience within the studio during the last show didn't translate to the listener   ;D

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #18885 on: September 11, 2018, 05:41:09 pm »
AFQ is one of the few Podcasts that frequently give me a good hearty-chuckle, that's a brilliant thing, but it does depend on who is on. Generally I really like it.

But I think what a few people are saying above is that the exuberance and ebullience within the studio during the last show didn't translate to the listener   ;D
;D
i.e. They'd been hammering the Slingsbys and we hadn't.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #18886 on: September 11, 2018, 06:25:45 pm »
The Monday show though, cracker ;D
:D

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18887 on: September 12, 2018, 09:04:50 am »
I have just subscribed to TAW podcast but only able to listen to the last 50 podcasts in the Podcast Addict app.

Is there a way to listen to older podcasts ?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #18888 on: September 12, 2018, 09:23:23 am »
I have just subscribed to TAW podcast but only able to listen to the last 50 podcasts in the Podcast Addict app.

Is there a way to listen to older podcasts ?

I think they are all on the website.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18889 on: September 12, 2018, 09:39:08 am »
Loved the one about the 2001 fa cup, great variety of contributors, well done

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #18890 on: September 12, 2018, 09:59:12 am »
Loved the one about the 2001 fa cup, great variety of contributors, well done

Amazing show in terms of guests and production. Quality wise it's what you'd expect something like 5Live to produce rather than a fan based podcast. Really is top quality. Whilst people have minor gripes in this thread about TAW (I've had some about how they dealt with the Karius concussion piece), it's this type of show that sets it apart and make it well worth 5 quid a month.

Thought Monday's show was excellent too.

Haven't listened to last Friday's AFQ yet though I've gone from an avid listener of that show to a semi-regular listener over the last 6-12 months. I'm pretty sure I heard the TAW say a while ago that AFQ was their most listened to/downloaded regular show. Wonder if that's still the case?
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #18891 on: September 12, 2018, 01:29:40 pm »
Enjoyed the Crouch interview, was a great signing was always sad to see him go.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #18892 on: September 12, 2018, 01:53:15 pm »

I always wonder how 08/09 would of ended up if he stayed. Wasn't a game changer, but I reckon it would of helped.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18893 on: September 12, 2018, 02:33:08 pm »
Yeah seeing him leave was the long goodbye.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #18894 on: September 12, 2018, 04:56:51 pm »
Great interview and sounded like a great guy as well.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18895 on: September 12, 2018, 05:10:01 pm »
Great interview and sounded like a great guy as well.
Agree, always comes across well.
Loved the 2001 cup show, brought back great memories.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18896 on: September 12, 2018, 05:54:40 pm »
Yep, Crouch interview was great. It’s clearly how highly he thinks of us and also seems to know his football. Good lad (for a big man).

He went to school right next to where I live now too, his book was on display in the local bookshop window, wonder if he’ll be doing a signing. :D

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #18897 on: September 13, 2018, 05:45:43 am »
I always wonder how 08/09 would of ended up if he stayed. Wasn't a game changer, but I reckon it would of helped.

Hard to know, Kuyt really stepped up when we needed him that year - maybe he doesn't if Crouch stays. But yeah an extra striker is never a bad thing, especially considering how detrimental those draws were.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #18898 on: September 13, 2018, 07:49:30 am »
My take on the AFQ.

You don't have to be a genius to work out who people are having a while about. It's the same person who has been accused of being miserable.

It's clear both Gibbo and Atko were aware of this. Gibbo mentioned it once and I'm sure he lost his train of thought at least once.

Atko referred to "herding cats" and also pointing out how many times he'd lowered mikes.

FWIW in my ears it wasn't nearly as bad for me as it was for others.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18899 on: September 13, 2018, 08:21:10 am »
Crouch was great - wish he'd stayed longer. Although his point about being annoyed when Torres also left doesn't really add up. That was almost three years later. It wasn't as if he left a window later.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #18900 on: September 13, 2018, 08:35:27 am »
Do the likes of Klopp, TAA, Crouch, etc know that when their interviews are taken that they'll be behind a paywall?
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18901 on: September 13, 2018, 08:51:52 am »
Crouch was great - wish he'd stayed longer. Although his point about being annoyed when Torres also left doesn't really add up. That was almost three years later. It wasn't as if he left a window later.

If he stayed that 08-09 season, we'd have won the league. Torres had a couple of bad injuries if I recall and we only finished 4 points behind the Mancs after drawing too many games at home. We were also relying on Robbie Keane who was pretty terrible for half a season as well. If Crouchie had still been with us, I think we would have turned some of those draws to wins.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #18902 on: September 13, 2018, 08:57:55 am »
Do the likes of Klopp, TAA, Crouch, etc know that when their interviews are taken that they'll be behind a paywall?

Why would they care?
Twitter | Blog

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #18903 on: September 13, 2018, 09:04:47 am »
Why would they care?
Because they might be under the impression that they're giving an interview available to all fans and not an exclusive subscription. If they know this beforehand then fair enough

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18904 on: September 13, 2018, 11:01:00 am »
Loved the discussion with Michael Calvin. Neil is a good interviewer - primes the pump and lets them talk.

I know it was a bit of a plug, but the book content sounded really interesting and he's clearly researched the inner workings of the game at all levels, and it is the margins of the game that I often find more interesting than the cycle of bullshit at the top levels.

Overbearing coaches in youth football, the stuffy old men that prefer self preservation to progress are 2 examples of the things that wind me up about the game and it was good to see that he saw clear examples of this. But it was good to see that counterbalanced by the amount of high quality dedicated people that he clearly encountered during his research, and that provides hope for the future.

Good to see Gordon Taylor in the crosshairs too  ;D

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18905 on: September 13, 2018, 11:05:25 am »
Because they might be under the impression that they're giving an interview available to all fans and not an exclusive subscription. If they know this beforehand then fair enough
I guess they give interviews to subscription television.

I'm guessing the players/manager may not be entirely up to speed with TAW's business model. However, Crouch is flogging his book, I am sure he's grateful for Liverpool's biggest fan podcast to be sticking a mic under his nose. Indeed, the like of Klopp will appreciate the PR benefits of cooperating with TAW - paywall or no paywall.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18906 on: September 13, 2018, 11:07:40 am »
If he stayed that 08-09 season, we'd have won the league. Torres had a couple of bad injuries if I recall and we only finished 4 points behind the Mancs after drawing too many games at home. We were also relying on Robbie Keane who was pretty terrible for half a season as well. If Crouchie had still been with us, I think we would have turned some of those draws to wins.
I agree - it was more that Crouch was saying 'when Torres left'. It was more a factor of 'when Torres was injured'.

Offline SlowRap

• Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #18907 on: September 13, 2018, 11:14:02 am »
I guess they give interviews to subscription television.

I'm guessing the players/manager may not be entirely up to speed with TAW's business model. However, Crouch is flogging his book, I am sure he's grateful for Liverpool's biggest fan podcast to be sticking a mic under his nose. Indeed, the like of Klopp will appreciate the PR benefits of cooperating with TAW - paywall or no paywall.
Of course they won't but I'd think they'd assume it'd be available to all the fans not just paid up members, unless like I said they're told beforehand this is going to be for members only - if they consent to it then fair enough -
You won't find many big names giving interviews to an exclusive paywall, even on Sky you often find them uploaded to their youtube channel or on their website to be viewed for free, even LFCTV uploads most big interviews on their free youtube channel or it's written out on the website. Had one given an interview to a paid subscription one would usually expect compensation for such a feature

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18908 on: September 13, 2018, 11:25:44 am »

Doubt it even comes up. Most of their interviews are behind paywalls.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18909 on: September 13, 2018, 11:46:14 am »
Had one given an interview to a paid subscription one would usually expect compensation for such a feature

I have no statistical evidence either way, but I would be amazed this would be the case. It's more often than not a quid pro quo arrangement. Do paywall newspapers always pay the celebrity interviewee when they're promoting their work?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #18910 on: September 13, 2018, 12:16:53 pm »
I have no statistical evidence either way, but I would be amazed this would be the case. It's more often than not a quid pro quo arrangement. Do paywall newspapers always pay the celebrity interviewee when they're promoting their work?
Also you have to buy newspapers, I really don’t think this is an issue.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18911 on: September 13, 2018, 12:37:55 pm »
Also, and SlowRap may not be guilty of this, but I find that there's a disproportionate degree of cynicism directed towards The Anfield Wrap in relation to adverts and subscriptions and having to pay for content. Just because it is a relatively modest operation compared to monolithic media groups doesn't mean it should offer content for free nor does it mean they shouldn't exploit a variety of avenues to make additional revenue. They're hardly the love child of Ayn Rand and Gordon Gekko but at the same time, they're making a living, and creating exclusive content through high-profile interviews is all part of that.

Offline mgs88

• Main Stander
« Reply #18912 on: September 13, 2018, 01:01:50 pm »
I'm absolutely amazed at the AFQ backlash there's been on here. I really enjoyed it, I think it's normally a bit chaotic and usually more entertaining for it. And I also think being critical over that runs the risk of it becoming more formulaic and losing its edge.

Never thought a gang of reds would become the fun police.

Nothing wrong with it getting a bit chaotic from time to time, but usually it's at least chaotic with people answering the questions & having a laugh with the whole table etc.  This last one & the previous few with Steph on it have been a nightmare with her constantly having other conversations while other people are answering questions.  That's before we even get started on her slagging off every other question as being shit or refusing to answer.  If she thinks so much of the questions are shit she should just stop doing the show.  I doubt the TAW guys would be hard pressed to find some one else to take up her slot.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #18913 on: September 13, 2018, 01:27:04 pm »
Of course they won't but I'd think they'd assume it'd be available to all the fans not just paid up members, unless like I said they're told beforehand this is going to be for members only -  if they consent to it then fair enough

They are and they do.

You won't find many big names giving interviews to an exclusive paywall, even on Sky you often find them uploaded to their youtube channel or on their website to be viewed for free, even LFCTV uploads most big interviews on their free youtube channel or it's written out on the website. Had one given an interview to a paid subscription one would usually expect compensation for such a feature

Never known this to be the case in any of the jobs i've worked in, whether newspapers (which you have to buy, incidentally), online subscription news outlets (The Times, for example) or for subscription TV or paid for podcast content.
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline SlowRap

• Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #18914 on: September 13, 2018, 01:45:19 pm »
They are and they do.

Never known this to be the case in any of the jobs i've worked in, whether newspapers (which you have to buy, incidentally), online subscription news outlets (The Times, for example) or for subscription TV or paid for podcast content.
Cheers for clarifying - newspapers usually post the interviews on their website for free (with the exception of the times, but I haven't seen players give them exclusives.) I was more thinking of musicians when I implied sharing royalties from subscribers - for example if an album is released exclusively on iTunes then the artist will get a bit more kick back from them.

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #18915 on: September 13, 2018, 02:10:05 pm »

TAA wasn't behind the paywall - it was put out for free and that was our decision.

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #18916 on: September 13, 2018, 02:39:32 pm »
Cheers for clarifying - newspapers usually post the interviews on their website for free (with the exception of the times, but I haven't seen players give them exclusives.) I was more thinking of musicians when I implied sharing royalties from subscribers - for example if an album is released exclusively on iTunes then the artist will get a bit more kick back from them.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-interview-juergen-klopp-is-intense-and-involved-hell-kick-me-up-the-backside-7rxzr8xqs
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #18917 on: September 13, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »

Agreed.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #18918 on: September 13, 2018, 03:15:49 pm »
This is a very small hill, mate...

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18919 on: September 13, 2018, 03:42:18 pm »
If I'm reading this page correctly, is Gutmann releasing an album exclusively through TAW Player?

Mo' Money, Mo' Transfers