Author Topic: Your First Liverpool Game  (Read 36360 times)

Offline pooley

• No...! They're not baby wipes!
  • Kopite
Re: Your First Liverpool Game
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2010, 12:13:06 am »
I can't remember who my first game was against as I was only about 3 at the time and all I really remember is my dad lifting me up and pointing to this bloke on the pitch and saying 'that is Billy Liddell the greatest player ever to play for Liverpool, dont ever forget that'. I didn't.
Years later at the grand old age of ten I remember walking down to Goodison park at the start of the 1966 season and going in the boy's pen. Liverpool had just won the league and Everton had won the f.a. cup so they were playing for the charity shield.
Before the game started, both teams did a lap of honour, Ron Yeats held up the league champions trophy and Brian Labone  the f.a.cup. Roger Hunt of Liverpool and Ray Wilson of Everton walked on the pitch carrying between them the Jules Rimet trophy that England had won against West Germany a few weeks before. It was an amazing sight, never seen before or since. The cherry on the cake was Sir Roger Hunt scoring a cracker from about 25 yards, the only goal of the game to win the Charity shield and I managed to get out of the boys pen without getting my head kicked in , Brilliant!!
I wish I could still climb up the drain-pipe that used to be at the back of the toilet that was outside the kop.

Offline ericcsson

• Anny Roader
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2010, 12:23:03 am »
Still waiting for my first, haven't had $ to make it to a match yet....

Stand, Be True

Offline JanMolby05

• Anny Roader
  • is right
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2010, 12:26:54 am »
It was either Spartak Moscow in Europe or QPR or Bristol City in the cup.

I remember the Bristol City game because their kit was a terrible purple with luminous green shorts!!
"If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off keeper Petr Cech."

Offline motisingh

• Anny Roader
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2010, 12:29:07 am »
http://premiersoccerstats.com/MatchFacts.cfm?MATCHID=2038

Found this a few months ago  8)

My dad supported Liverpool, my uncle QPR. I chose the right team  ;D

This was my first ever match but I hardly remember it (I was 6 at the time)...but the year after I went to the 6-1 demolition of Palace and I remember that so well

Offline Exiled109er

• Anny Roader
  • Militant Internet Terrorist #469132
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2010, 12:50:09 am »
2 January 1978.  Middlesbrough at home.  Won 2-0.  David Johnson got the first and I think it was a header.  I've no idea who got the second.
Expose the lies before Thatcher dies.  JFT96

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2010, 02:00:58 am »
Liverpool 1-2 Man CIty May 2003. Sat in the kop end and Anelka smashed in a last minute winner i was 10, absolutely gutted!
Was at this match too. My second Anfield game. 1 0 up with about 5 to play then Anelka scores a pen then pinged a beauty into the top corner from 20 yards. Fucker.
Funnily enough it was almost the exact same seat i was in for my first game. Coca Cola cup semi first leg v Boro on 27/1/98 i think. Beat them 2-1 but came from behind after Paul Merson gave Boro the lead. Redknapp scored a beauty at the Annie road end to equalise before God poked home the winner in the second half. Also stayed in the same hotel that Boro stayed in the night before the match and met a few of their players. The thistle near Aintree? May be wrong that bit. Boro won the 2nd leg 2-0
First LFC match was a friendly v Linfield at Windsor park on 14/08/1995. We won 1-0 with Rush getting the winner. I remember a Linfield player punched the Stig and some guy was taking the piss outta my cheap trainers. I was only 13 and he was a fully grown man. Scarred me for life that did
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline seanbren

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2010, 02:08:58 am »
10th September 1977.
Liverpool 2-0 Coventry. 
Dalglish and Fairclough.
A love affair was born.
Still smitten.
Hurts though.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2010, 02:18:52 am »
First game at Anfield, lost 1-0 to Norwich.  1987 or 1988 I think.  Gutted.  Didn't speak a word all the way back to Kent where I was living at the time.

december 1988. some goal at the anfield road end
can i have my old name back please?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2010, 02:22:15 am »
Liverpool v Norwich - Nov 1991 (or was it Oct) - 2-0 the reds - Houghton and Molby. 

Front row of Anney Road.  Just remember spending half time throwing my scarf onto the pitch and pulling it back again so I could get the due off the pitch (and thinking about it, the spit and snot too!).

Most of the game spent just looking around the place in awe - especially the Kop.

was that the molby goal smashed from about 30 yards into the kop goal?

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2010, 02:27:41 am »
Olou Palleserra (excuse the spelling) in the European Cup in 1981, a comfortable 10-1 victory for the redmen!! My old fella said he'ed been biding his time to pick my first game and what a decision, 10 goals for a nine year old in his first game!!

two players scored hatricks on that night

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2010, 02:35:55 am »
Liverpool 0 Spurs 1 1985. That little rat Crooks. Spurs hadnt won at Anfield in 70 odd years  :no

hmmm i rememeber that game. it was highlighted on tv as the last time spurs won at anfield was before the titanic sunk.  only a few weeks before that game, liverpool beat them 1-0 in an fa cup tie

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41:03 am »
Liverpool 3 Southampton 2.............March 1990......... About the time Rosenthal was bursting onto the scene

i went to that game. that was the game when rosenthal made his debut

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2010, 02:42:47 am »
great game that one, ronny came off the bench to make the difference. think jimmy case scored for them? considering how rarely we lost at home in the 80s it's quite impressive that my first two games ended in defeat!

they went 2-1 after jimmy case scored at the anfield road end in the second half.  finished 3-2 to liverpool

Offline joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2010, 02:44:27 am »
My first was at Highfield Road towards the end of the 1995/96 season. It was a few days after the first 4-3 against Newcastle and I was expecting us to score a hatfull. We ended up losing an awful game 1-0, with Noel Whelan scoring early on and us never looking like equalising.
My first at Anfield the following season wasn't much better, with us drawing 0-0 against West Ham when we were top and they were bottom. The only thing memorable about it is a young Jamie Carragher coming on as half-time sub in midfield for his Premier League debut and doing well.

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2010, 02:52:45 am »
1989-90 season, think the game was november 1989 v Arsenal. Barnes scored a great freekick, which i was directly behind in the road end, hence my username!. would have been 8,remember the matches that season i went to so clearly, strange. It finished  for me at home to QPR when we won the league, still remember the ground going mental when villa fucked up a 3-1 lead to Norwich to draw! .

'went to that sunday afternoon game against arsenal. mcmahon scored from 25 yards and barnes with the free kick culer in the second half.

yeah, you are right. the ground did go menkal. hell of a buzz!!qpr took the lead and nearly scored a second when they hit the bar.
one of the best atmospheres winning the league, and the players walking round the pitch after the game. i loved it when the kop and the kemlyn were singing out champions! champions!

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2010, 02:55:40 am »
My first game was on 25-09-1993 (had to look that up) We lost 1-0 at the Bridge. It was amazing walking up to the ground surrounded by fellow reds with my Dad and Brother. The ground has obviously completely changed since. I'm sure I rememeber cars parked behind the goal.
We lost 1-0, it was round about the same time Macca and Grobbelaar has a bust up, the Chelsea fans were chanting "Macca's gonna get you" to Bruce.
The good old days!

pmsl, cars were parked at chelseas ground for years. if i remember right, they were for disabled cars

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2010, 02:55:45 am »
Liverpool 0 - 0 Southampton - 1979
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2010, 03:05:54 am »
march 24th 1979 liverpool v ipswich 2-0 dalglish had a goal disallowed at the anfield road end, but not long after that he scored slipping past osman and butcher, making it his 50th goal for liverpool.
david johnson scored from about 6 yards in the second half.

had seats in the kemlyn road top end by anfield road. i saw clemence pointing finger when coming out of second half, and i thought omg surely he's not pointing at me cos we were in the front row and i was taking a photo.
march 24th 1979 liverpool v ipswich 2-0 dalglish had a goal disallowed at the anfield road end, but not long after that he scored slipping past osman and butcher, making it his 50th goal for liverpool.

had seats in the kemlyn road top end by anfield road. i saw clemence pointing finger when coming out of second half, and i thought omg surely he's not pointing at me cos we were in the front row and i was taking a photo.
my dad took me. or did i take him?  not long after that, i went up to liverpool on my own against arsenal 3-0, then again two days after coming back from berlin for the home game against southamton may 1979.  went to some pub in town before the match, some racing car was on the ceiling - thought it was cool, never seen that kind of thing before.  was 15 at the time

my first match actually was supposed to have been home to west brom 2-1 in feb 1979 but decided not to travel cos it was wintery.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:14:54 am by johnsouthwales »

Offline Redstafarian

• Anny Roader
  • Fish fingers, mash n peas
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2010, 06:00:06 am »
Liverpool 0 Birmingham 0, 08/09, fans chanting for Torres to come on for most of the 2nd half. Disappointing game but loved the pre-match atmosphere and just being there made me feel on top of the world : )
Liverpool 2 West Ham 1, BBC Radio live coverage of league cup final  ... first and best memory

Offline Redstafarian

• Anny Roader
  • Fish fingers, mash n peas
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2010, 06:02:27 am »

That's how Johnno scored most of his goals! He was my favourite player at the time.
Liverpool 2 West Ham 1, BBC Radio live coverage of league cup final  ... first and best memory

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2010, 06:07:26 am »
It was either Spartak Moscow in Europe or QPR or Bristol City in the cup.

I remember the Bristol City game because their kit was a terrible purple with luminous green shorts!!

How can you not remember? It wasn't that long ago! Mine was in 1974 and I can still remember what George played at H/T!

Offline HeWonItFromBrock

• Main Stander
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2010, 07:22:21 am »
Liverpool 5-0 Notts County 1st Jan 1983- we were supposed to go on a family trip to Chester Zoo but it was pissing down so we turned up at the game and got seats for the Main Stand (unheard of now!)

Missed 3 of the goals- one where I went for a piss and 2 because we left early. Remember hearing the cheers as we walked away fron the ground - never left a game early since.

Offline BernardGarcia

• Anny Roader
  • Bound By Wild Desire
« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2010, 09:53:05 am »
Norwich at home, won 3-1 I think it was. Memory is sketchy though!
Love to see that lad kiss his wrist!

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2010, 10:21:26 am »
My first game was Liverpool Vs Arsenal 7th April 1979, we won 3-0 with Dalglish, Case and McDermott scoring the goals, stood in the Paddock, well sat on me arl fella's shoulders.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline JanMolby05

• Anny Roader
  • is right
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2010, 11:09:41 am »
How can you not remember? It wasn't that long ago! Mine was in 1974 and I can still remember what George played at H/T!
All the Jaeger bombs have took their toll.

It was the Spartak game in 1992 I've still got the ticket and it was printed on a dot matrix printer with the little holes down the side of the ticket
"If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off keeper Petr Cech."

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2010, 01:19:47 pm »
Everton away 1971 with Alan Ball wearing those famous white boots for blue noses and the usual 0 0 draw
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:22:12 pm by gatcliffe »
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2010, 01:31:37 pm »
Ipswich Town at home - 1972 I think it was . Won 2-0 ( Toshack & Keegan ) - think the crowd was about 42,000.

Went to the game with my mate and his dad . My mates dad was a giant fella ( a brickie by trade ) - if you look on the sleeve of the old KOP album , his dad is the big fair haired fella at the front turning around and talking to his mate . They emigrated to Canada in the 70's and sometimes wonder what they're up to.

As for the game , just remember the fantastic buzz . Spent the game sitting on the bar at the front behind the goal . Remember at the tiime I was wearing a parka with a ripped lining . Spent a good part of the game pulling out bits of fluff and seeing whose heads they would land on .Doesn't sound that funny now , but when you're 10 it's fuckin hilarious.

Fond memories !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline gwto

• Main Stander
  • "Game Well and Truly Over, and I hate saying that"
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2010, 01:33:48 pm »
Liverpool 0 - Deportivo La Coruna 0 (2004)
Alonso attempted a shot from the half line
Rubbish match. Magical season :-)

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2010, 01:45:36 pm »
Liverpool v Sheff Wed. Stan Collymore's debut. Won 1 - 0 and he scored from outside the box, some people ran onto the side of the pitch to celebrate. Chris Waddle was playing for them. Didnt realise at the time how much my opinion of corned beef brain Stan would change.
@paulair

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2010, 01:52:23 pm »
Liverpool v Sheff Wed. Stan Collymore's debut. Won 1 - 0 and he scored from outside the box, some people ran onto the side of the pitch to celebrate. Chris Waddle was playing for them. Didnt realise at the time how much my opinion of corned beef brain Stan would change.

Remember that game .

Collymore had so much talent - pity it was wasted !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline rushs-tash

• Kopite
  • "If you do X, Y & Z - Bob's your uncle"
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2010, 03:26:19 pm »
Liverpool 2-1 Chelsea 19th March 1994

1-0 Ian Rush
2-0 Craig Burley (OG)
2-1 Craig Burley - Curled a beauty into the top corner at the Kop

Offline McVean

• Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2010, 03:37:00 pm »
Pre-season match in 1988 when Liverpool visited Norway :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:02:34 am by McVean »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2010, 04:52:53 am »
My first game was Liverpool Vs Arsenal 7th April 1979, we won 3-0 with Dalglish, Case and McDermott scoring the goals, stood in the Paddock, well sat on me arl fella's shoulders.

i was in the anfield road end right down by the front and just off the left hand post

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2010, 04:57:16 am »

boiling hot day as well. where i was sitting in the centenary was close to where they were celebrating, about 5 rows back

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #154 on: June 19, 2010, 12:43:49 pm »
boiling hot day as well. where i was sitting in the centenary was close to where they were celebrating, about 5 rows back
watched updates at home through Grandstand

was always a good warm day when the curtains were pulled over at 4pm to block out the sun after youd been burned
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline LadsPen

• Kopite
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2010, 12:51:57 pm »
Am I the only one who doesn't remember? I must have been four, five tops. Perhaps even younger.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:18 pm »
Apologies for digging this up, but after reading L6 Red's letter I was feeling a bit sentimental!

My first game- Charlton at home, 21 April 2003. 2-1, after going a goal down in the second half, goals from Sami in the 86th and Gerrard in the 90th. I'll never forget the atmosphere on the Kop when Stevie scored the winner, absolutely spine-tingling!

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2010, 09:32:07 pm »
Oh and guess who was playing left back for Charlton....

Offline suffolkrafa

• Kopite
  • 10/08/1977 & 08/01/2011 The King comes home
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2010, 09:35:27 pm »
First Away Game

As i live near Ipswich, and my Dad never drove an excited 7yr old went to his first Liverpool game, we where the current holders of the cup at the time. Mick Mills put us out with a goal 4mins from the end of the game, sliding the ball home through a packed muddy 6yard box, at the North Stand End, of what is now called the Sir Bobby Robson stand.

Ipswich 1 - 0 Liverpool / 25.01.1975 / FA Cup 4th round 

Offline wackojackouk

• Main Stander
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2010, 10:09:39 pm »
Brentford 1 Liverpool 4 (Rush 2, Robinson and Souness)

Milk Cup - 5th Oct 1983

I was 8 at the time and went with my mum. Liverpool strolled it in the end and I remember us playing in yellow and them kicking some balls into the crowd for the fans. I didn't get one  :(

However I waited around after the game and my mum (I was too shy) got autogrpahs from Brucie, Rushie and the King himself. Still got them too....

Someone has kindly uploaded some highlights from Midweek Sports Special on YouTube too :) .... check it out

Class memories
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:29:43 pm by wackojackouk »