Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers: The Players Perspective  (Read 12908 times)

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
Brendan Rodgers: The Players Perspective
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:09:45 pm »
One of the best things about fan forums, and Rawk in particular, is the chance to interact with fellow Liverpool fans all across the globe. Some of the most knowledgeable stuff I've ever read on the game has come from this very place. Whether it be an article or just your every day post. I've indulged in a little bit of writing in the past myself, but I never consider myself to be particularly good at it. However, I enjoy the process - so it works for me.

Now though, I genuinely feel as though this is the first time I've been able to give something back to the Rawk community, and hopefully out-with Rawk too.

Since Brendan Rodgers took over at Liverpool, the thirst from the fans to learn as much about his methods has really stood out. Luckily, I was able to speak to a man who's had first hand experience of working with the new gaffer. At Watford, Brendan Rodgers signed the then Inverness Caley Thistle player Don Cowie for a modest fee. Here is the thoughts of Don on what we can expect in the coming months, and hopefully years.

What kind of work was involved in a typical training session from Rodgers and how did he manage to keep it fresh?

His training is all about keeping possession....winning the ball back from the opposition as quickly as possible....It's always for a short period of time but at a very high tempo.

How much interest did he take in the Academy and did the younger players at Watford often train with the first team?

Age was never an issue at Watford. If you were good enough you would play. An example of this was he played an 18 year old centre midfielder every week in Ross Jenkins.

Did you do a lot of work on set pieces during training?

While training was taking place the manager would withdraw certain penalty and free kick takers away to work on their technique. He always tried to be creative with them.

Would you describe Rodgers as a hands on manager. Did he interact with the squad closely or did he delegate to his assistant/coaches and take more of a back seat?

Yes, he was very approachable, you never uncomfortable around him...he's a very enthusiastic man who makes you feel very confident in yourself.

Did he talk about other clubs philosophies a lot, I.e Barcelona or Ajax?

Everything was about Barcelona and their style of play. He went to watch them on a few occasions...he used to tell me to watch Xavi and Iniesta to learn how to play the role in the team that they do as he planned to use their formation the next season...unfortunately he left to go to Reading.

Would you say there was one aspect of your game in particular that Rodgers improved?

He always talks about being calm on the ball. He wants you to work at a high intensity, to win the ball... but once you get it be relaxed and calm in possession. I felt that I improved that aspect of my game! He gave me the belief in myself that I could become a better player every day I came into training.

When you arrived at the Watford they were in and around the relegation zone. Rodgers managed just two wins in his first ten games... was he always very positive and was there anything specific he did that initiated your climb up the table?

He's always positive. In my time working with him we were very successful and he liked to keep the same team and I think once we starting winning week in week out our confidence and belief grew.

When the teams form did pick up, the 11 picked didn't change all that often, was there any signs of disharmony amongst those who weren't playing week in week out?

I think a few were annoyed but when a team is winning you just need to be patient and wait for your chance. He never made the non starters feel not a part of it. It was always about the squad. Another positive was whether you were the best player in the team or someone who rarely made the squad of 16 - he treated everyone equal.

What formation did you usually play and was it adaptable during the game?

He liked playing a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 and if we were winning he would keep it but if things weren't working out he's quite happy to try something different to get back in a game.

You played right midfield mostly (from memory anyway, correct me if I'm wrong!) and also as a centre midfielder. What did he ask of you when playing both roles? At Swansea, one of the things Joe Allen and Leon Britton did with great success was passing the ball as quickly as they could and with as few touches as possible. Was it the same at Watford?

I played mostly left midfield. He wanted me to tuck in as we played an out and out winger on the right hand side, but he also gave us the freedom to swap if we wanted during a game. The key thing was to never be caught dwelling on the ball. Also, It was never passing for the sake of passing. He always wanted the players to be positive with it and to try and affect the game.

It's half time and you're losing quite heavily. The team aren't playing very well - what's the typical reaction?

The time I remember was away to Charlton. We were losing 2-1 and they were bottom of the league. He was very calm but also angry as he knew we should of been beating them. He told us if we play the way we can we would win the game - he was right, we won 3-2 and it was a massive result to get us away from the relegation zone.

There's an assumption that British players are less inclined to buy into a more 'European style' type of game. Would you go along with that as a general point?

I think it depends on how the manager tries to feed the style to the team. Brendan is very enthusiastic and makes you feel very confident in yourself. He makes you believe you can achieve what he's asking of you. His management style is very balanced.

Did he make you a better player?

Definitely. I will always be grateful to him for giving me the opportunity to come to England and he has given me so much belief. We still keep in contact and text now and again, which is nice knowing if I need advice I can speak to him. The fact I have received 10 International caps since working with Brendan is no coincidence in my opinion.

And finally... do you think he has what it takes to become a successful Liverpool manager?

Being a Liverpool supporter myself, I'm very excited with him being manager. I'm not sure if it will happen instantly but I believe given time he will be a huge success. His style of play will excite the Liverpool supporters. It will take time, but eventually I think Liverpool can be a threat at the top of the table, although it will be tough in such a competitive League.

I'd like to thank Don for taking time out of his undoubtedly busy schedule to help me out with this, and I hope everyone who reads this can take at least one new or interesting thing from it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:24:42 pm by Mr Dilkington »
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brendan Rodgers: The Players perspective
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:18:13 pm »
Interesting, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:20:05 pm »
Yes, interesting read, thanks for sharing mate

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:22:29 pm »
Thanks for that mate.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:22:55 pm »
Good stuff, thanks.

Offline BBS

• Main Stander
  • Big Black Sock
Re: Brendan Rodgers: The Players Perspective
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »
Good stuff! The part where he says Rodgers likes to switch things up and be creative on set pieces sounds very promising.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:32:12 pm »
Good stuff, thanks.
yeah, nice one.

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 05:38:11 pm »
Interesting read, thanks a lot.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 05:41:42 pm »
There's no real surprises there, though. Anybody who comes from a youth coaching background is going to have a definite model of play, clear and clean methodology, and will value youth players in a senior team. With the exception of the King, all of our best managers have had a background working with young players and also had a defined style of play that was proactive for the most part (Sir Bob, Joe, Roy Evans, Ged, Rafa). Our "worst" managers had no discernible style of play and didn't have any sort of experience working exclusively with youth players (Souness, Hodgson). Rodgers will bring the development aspect to the senior team, that is focused around a specific type of play and coupled with training that is player-centred rather than coach/manager centred. Transfer nonsense notwithstanding, the future is a lot brighter than some people like to think.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:51:03 pm »
Great stuff Dilks, but out of curiosity, did you get to ask if he worked on patterns of playing attacking wise? As I remember from when we played swansea last game of the season, they targeted our left side for the whole of the second half I think and they played practically the same move to cut us open down that side to create a one on one for the player in the box. Think it was a one two with siggurdson and dyer that were the two players involved in that particular move.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 06:02:38 pm »
Good insight. Ta muchly.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 06:07:17 pm »
Interesting, thanks.

Especially the Barca style being his most important influence which makes me even more curious on which players he will like to have around as I cannot imagine in my wildest dream him being able to turn Spearing or Downing into some sort of minor versions of Xavi or Dani Alves..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:13:39 pm »
Thanks for going to all that effort mate
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 06:13:56 pm »
Interesting. Thank you Mr.Dilkington and Don.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 06:22:54 pm »
nice piece dilks.  respect is due ;D

royhendo

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 06:23:11 pm »
Superb - hopefully it punctures the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Thanks mate I really appreciate it!

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 06:39:51 pm »

Good read, thanks for that - the questions were just as interesting as the answers.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 06:43:46 pm »

Nice one Dilko  :thumbup
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline FanaticalRed

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 06:45:22 pm »
Thanks Mr D!

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 06:47:04 pm »
Superb - hopefully it punctures the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Thanks mate I really appreciate it!
:lmao Like thats gonna fukn happen ;D

Nice piece Dilks
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 06:49:21 pm »
Very interesting, thank you. I shall be fascinated to see Mr Rodgers' philosophy in action soon.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline j3wky

• Kemlynite
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 06:55:15 pm »
Great post, nice to see a players insight as to how Rodgers works.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 07:04:55 pm »
Thanks for posting, good stuff.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 07:07:06 pm »
But has he got a Plan B?

:P

Online Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »
Thanks for that, good read. I'd be the teachers pet under his management as he wouldn't have to tell me to watch Xavi and Iniesta.  :P
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 07:31:21 pm »
Thanks Dilks. Very interesting. I like the idea of not being afraid to play an 18 year-old central midfielder.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 07:33:57 pm »
Thanks Dilks. Very interesting. I like the idea of not being afraid to play an 18 year-old central midfielder.
Me too, mate. I think playing an eighteen year old full back or striker, is an entirely different beast to playing an 18 year old centre midfield player.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline dotheoffski

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 07:36:00 pm »
Thankyou, very interesting read.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »
The stand out part form me was the 4231.

I like.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2012, 07:44:09 pm »
Ta.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »
Good to see work like this  :)

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »
That was a great read. Nice one OP.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 07:58:04 pm »
Love the way he's mates with the players buy got the respect for when he needs to put his foot down, fuck face manc has been doing that to get the best out of his players for years, good post

Offline Djimi_Case

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 08:57:06 pm »
Enjoyed reading that, thank you!
We are Liverpool... tralalalala...

Offline march4

• Kemlynite
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »
a great post - thanks for the effort and work.  A great insight into the new boss from a unique viewpoint

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »
Cheers for that. I have plenty worries but Rodgers philosophy on how the game should be played is not one.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 09:29:45 pm »
boss job dilks, thanks
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Elf Pistolero_7

• Relegated.
  • Kopite
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Spirit Of Shankly
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:41 pm »
Thanks Mr Dilkington. Much appreciated.
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that"

Bill Shankly. He made the people happy.

Offline Red Bumpkin

• Boys Pen
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »
Great post. I like this kinda thing. Thanks!

Offline timbo

• Kopite
  • 5 GoWs and counting
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 10:13:46 pm »
Enjoyable read, well written
Should be compulsory reading before posting for the next three days