Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4151009 times)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #60720 on: August 26, 2019, 02:06:34 pm »
No shame in coming up short against Kovalev. Yarde needs to get some decent experience before he goes back to that level again.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60721 on: August 26, 2019, 03:10:28 pm »
Lads my cousin got tickets for the Lomochenko vs Campbell fight. The fucker soft lad is sorting me out with one.  8)

Was talking to my cousin last night and we agreed no one below Light Welterweight beats Lomo.  I think that's the limit, should he try Welterweight we're heading into career suicide.

Nice one. Had a chance to see him fight Rigo but swerved it because of the money, always retretted it though.

140 is not great at the moment so I think you're right. He'd end up having a Chocolatito moment at 147.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #60722 on: August 28, 2019, 10:10:09 am »
3 Days until Loma, cant wait now

also Terence Crawford rumoured to be headlining an MSG show in December 14th with Michael Conlan (vs Isaac Dogboe at super bantam) and Carl Frampton both on the undercard.

perfect excuse for a trip imo

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60723 on: August 28, 2019, 11:03:09 am »
Why are people excited for Campbell/Loma this weekend?

Is it 'just' to see Lomachenko fight someone/anyone?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60724 on: August 28, 2019, 11:58:02 am »

Partly, yes.  But Campbell isn't exactly a bum either.  He'll lose, but if you can't get excited about watching Lomachenko dismantling a live opponent then what are you in it for?

Like watching Liverpool v Arsenal last week.

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60725 on: August 28, 2019, 12:03:56 pm »
Partly, yes.  But Campbell isn't exactly a bum either.  He'll lose, but if you can't get excited about watching Lomachenko dismantling a live opponent then what are you in it for?

Like watching Liverpool v Arsenal last week.

Haha - I thought as much. Was just interested to get someone else's take on it, and to see if anyone thinks it will be anything other than a one-sided affair.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60726 on: August 28, 2019, 12:13:46 pm »
Haha - I thought as much. Was just interested to get someone else's take on it, and to see if anyone thinks it will be anything other than a one-sided affair.

Well Lomachenko is 14-1 on with the bookies so that should tell you all you need to know ;D

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60727 on: August 28, 2019, 12:18:09 pm »

I'm looking forward to the day out with my mates and to see the best in the world in the flesh

Offline Samio

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60728 on: August 28, 2019, 12:36:00 pm »
I'm looking forward to the day out with my mates and to see the best in the world in the flesh

Aye - fair enough. Similar situation to when I went to see GGG against Brook with the lads.

Not going to see this one live, but will be drinking with mates for the footy all day - then heading back to mine for the fight.

I am looking forward to it, but for Loma only, like most others it seems.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60729 on: August 28, 2019, 01:41:23 pm »
It's not every day the P4P #1 visits our shores mate. And if you see any scraps on the tele in the crowds don't be surprised if it's with some of the fuckers that I'm going with. One or two really can't handle their drinks.   :D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60730 on: August 28, 2019, 02:57:04 pm »
It's not every day the P4P #1 visits our shores mate. And if you see any scraps on the tele in the crowds don't be surprised if it's with some of the fuckers that I'm going with. One or two really can't handle their drinks.   :D

Must be a great honour to defend your Maltese title on Lomachenko's undercard ;D

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #60731 on: August 28, 2019, 09:12:06 pm »
Well Lomachenko is 14-1 on with the bookies so that should tell you all you need to know ;D
I fancy Campbell to give him problems in the first half of the fight. Loma's ability will shine through but this could go the full 12 you know. I'll be surprised if Loma wins inside 10 rounds to be honest.

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60732 on: August 29, 2019, 07:18:47 am »
Bigger crowd at the public workout than some of the shows ive been at the last year haha Jesus

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60733 on: August 29, 2019, 09:29:34 am »
I fancy Campbell to give him problems in the first half of the fight. Loma's ability will shine through but this could go the full 12 you know. I'll be surprised if Loma wins inside 10 rounds to be honest.

Mid to late stoppage is kind of his MO isn't it?  He never blasts anyone out early.  Those KOs will start turning into UDs as he keeps moving up.

Campbell's got the height and reach and the southpaw factor so you can imagine it being awkward for a while.

Struggling to find something that makes it interesting, but 9-1 on both fighters to get knocked down could work?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #60734 on: August 29, 2019, 09:43:27 am »
Throwback Thursday

The Four Kings - an era when the best truly fought the best - in their prime - Duran, Leonard, Hagler and Hearns

This week is a look back at the trilogy between two of the four kings, Roberto 'Manos de Piedra' Duran and 'Sugar' Ray Leonard

There are books, documentaries, films and anything else you can think of on these two (and the Four Kings), made all the more famous for Duran's 'No Mas' decision at the end of their second fight. This was a real rivalry with two completely opposing styles both trying to implement their will on each other. It's what Mayweather and Pacquiao should have been!

If you're into your books then Hands of Stone by Christian Guidice and The Four Kings by George Kimball are well worth a read as is the Four Kings documentary

To understand the magnitude of their first fight...Sugar Ray Leonard was undefeated, 27-0, an olympic and WBC champion and seen to be the much bigger man compared to Duran who had moved up from lightweight having won and defended the WBA and WBC World Champion for 6.5 years. Duran was coming into the fight with a 71-1 record! It was as big as it gets. The rematch and arguably one of the most famous fights of all time doesn't need much more to be said. The tough Panamanian was seen to quit in the ring although he says today he has no regrets, I'm sure he would like to rewind that one back. They did meet many years later to 'rewind' it but both were past their primes although it's well worth a watch.

Duran finished his career with a record of 103-0-16 (70KO's) and as a 4 weight world champion capturting belts at Lightweight, Welterweight, Middleweight and Super Middleweight

Sugar Ray Leonard finished his career with a record of 36-1-3 (25 KO's) and as a three weight world champion winning the WBC and WBA Welterweight title, WBC Middleweight title and WBC Super Middleweight Titles

If you haven't seen these fights, congratulations, you're in for a massive fucking treat!

Fight 1
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/ZuGZVkYuHM4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/ZuGZVkYuHM4</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuGZVkYuHM4

Fight 2 - No Mas
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/x7aChC6U3Ks" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/x7aChC6U3Ks</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7aChC6U3Ks

Fight 3
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/QX5GnoLjPhc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/QX5GnoLjPhc</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX5GnoLjPhc

I am Duran - Leonard Duran interview
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/BfHymlxsJlw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/BfHymlxsJlw</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfHymlxsJlw

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60735 on: August 29, 2019, 11:25:22 am »
Duran looks a bit like David Jason the actor these days  ;D

Mid to late stoppage is kind of his MO isn't it?  He never blasts anyone out early.  Those KOs will start turning into UDs as he keeps moving up.

Campbell's got the height and reach and the southpaw factor so you can imagine it being awkward for a while.

Struggling to find something that makes it interesting, but 9-1 on both fighters to get knocked down could work?
I suppose Campbell could catch him off balance and make him touch down. Can't see Loma actually being hurt mind.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60736 on: August 29, 2019, 11:41:38 am »
Duran looks a bit like David Jason the actor these days  ;D
I suppose Campbell could catch him off balance and make him touch down. Can't see Loma actually being hurt mind.

Yeah I was thinking of the Linares KD, something like that.

Throwback Thursday

Now you're talking.  Duran is one of my favourites and his career is unfairly defined by the second fight.  The first fight with Leonard was I think the biggest achievement from the Fab Four's fights with each other, and I actually think his loss to Hagler is right up there as well.

No Mas is boxing's equivalent of the JFK assassination with so many conspiracy theories.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #60737 on: August 31, 2019, 09:42:42 pm »
Anyone got a decent stream for tonight?
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60738 on: August 31, 2019, 09:43:20 pm »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60740 on: August 31, 2019, 09:57:58 pm »
Hughie Fury fights should come with a public health warning.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60741 on: August 31, 2019, 10:03:14 pm »

Definitely shouldn't watch them while operating heavy machinery.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60742 on: August 31, 2019, 10:04:01 pm »
His fights are like watching paint dry.

The Tony Pulis of boxing, just a utter boring boxer.

The commentators on ESPN have been having a chat about Loma the last 3-4 rounds. ;D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60743 on: August 31, 2019, 10:07:19 pm »
I think he is possibly losing this on the cards as well; not sure though given how sleepy I feel...

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60744 on: August 31, 2019, 10:09:07 pm »
Can't say I'm paying too close attention but yeah, I think he's probably losing.

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60745 on: August 31, 2019, 10:13:44 pm »
At least we get Loma. If Campbell wins, it would rank just below Turpin vs SRR as biggest upset by a British fighter.

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #60746 on: August 31, 2019, 10:14:09 pm »
Povetkin wins imho
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60747 on: August 31, 2019, 10:16:30 pm »
Didn't have it as wide, but yeah, right man won in a dreadful fight.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60748 on: August 31, 2019, 10:17:11 pm »
At least we get Loma. If Campbell wins, it would rank just below Turpin vs SRR as biggest upset by a British fighter.

If Lomachenko keeps moving up, he'll eventually lose to someone around Luke Campbell's level. But it won't happen at 135.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60749 on: August 31, 2019, 10:21:36 pm »
Fury should knock this on the head. He doesn't want it enough

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #60750 on: August 31, 2019, 10:21:45 pm »
I think he is possibly losing this on the cards as well; not sure though given how sleepy I feel...

;D  .. just said to missus.. this fight is putting me to sleep.. :odd
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60751 on: August 31, 2019, 10:23:24 pm »
It does seem that way, doesn't it? Like it is a job rather than having any real passion. It isn't a good weight division for that kind of mentality!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60752 on: August 31, 2019, 10:24:37 pm »
Any good streams knocking around? Must have tried about 15, not one of them worked.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #60753 on: August 31, 2019, 10:26:26 pm »
Any good streams knocking around? Must have tried about 15, not one of them worked.
http://buffstream.live/boxing/live-stream.php
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60754 on: August 31, 2019, 10:27:50 pm »
It does seem that way, doesn't it? Like it is a job rather than having any real passion. It isn't a good weight division for that kind of mentality!

Exactly that. No urgency at all. Almost felt like he took a moral victory of going 12 rounds

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60755 on: August 31, 2019, 10:28:11 pm »

https://t.co/YR7F4q9TD8

I’m watching on this, working fine for me. SSBO and ESPN both on there.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60756 on: August 31, 2019, 10:29:02 pm »

Classic sparring partner.

He'll always make a living as one of those guys who's a bit awkward and gets you rounds.  He'll be losing UDs to prospects for a couple of years yet.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60757 on: August 31, 2019, 10:29:27 pm »
https://t.co/YR7F4q9TD8

I’m watching on this, working fine for me. SSBO and ESPN both on there.
Nice one, good quality that

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60758 on: August 31, 2019, 11:17:50 pm »
Been a good fight

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60759 on: August 31, 2019, 11:21:58 pm »
Campbell doing as I expected; causing problems but a bit short of what's required to win.