Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4129490 times)

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #60680 on: August 23, 2019, 04:28:52 pm »
Harrison is next  8) ;D

Scott or Audley  ;)

Corrales vs. Casamayor was pretty good.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60681 on: August 23, 2019, 05:10:40 pm »
I have the first 2 fights of Barrera v Morales trilogy as my favourite fights.

Ward and Gotti was good trilogy, Gotti was one of my fav fighters of all time, but that Mexican slug fest edges it.

Holyfield and Bowe was a great trilogy as well.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 05:12:16 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60682 on: August 23, 2019, 05:30:31 pm »
That Izzy-Rafa rivalry was amazing, and rare in that it had stoppages of both fighters. That was when I was bang into boxing, I'm completely out of the game now

The first two Pac-Morales fights were superb, Erik was washed up by the third

Corrales' first with JLC was my all-time favourite

Great era of boxing from 126 to 135 that

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60683 on: August 23, 2019, 08:12:36 pm »
I'm not a big follower of boxing, I like the sport but don't watch a huge amount of fights so i'm not questioning the second part of your post, more looking to learn as im interested but is that really the case?

Could a fighter blindly throwing shots not catch someone? Would luck not be a large factor in SOME winning punches and are all shots measured ones?

The term is used a hell of a lot whenever I hear talk about past fights and although I do feel its an easy cop out (for the record I think this is the case with Joshuas comments on his loss) surely there is a such thing as a lucky punch in boxing, no? Again my knowledge of the sport is extremely limited and i'm simply looking to learn/be educated but couldn't a situation where you have a boxer who's completely exhausted and clearly losing, is simply trying not to give up and give all he can, ducking and just blindly throwing shots to stave off the threat of his opponent in the slim hope he might catch him with one stray shot... should he land one, would this not be considered a lucky shot as it cant really be described as a measured shot

I don't think you can get a lucky KO punch. But I do think you can get a lucky lead up to a knockout. The Harrison v Sprott fight mentioned above was the one that came immediately to mind - Audley was getting battered , was just throwing for the fences and got lucky in getting one through. But he still had to finish it off - the KO itself wasn't luck.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #60684 on: August 23, 2019, 09:27:31 pm »
Nice one lads, just trying to get some interest back in the thread that doesn’t revolve around Khan and Brook or what AJ had for dinner

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60685 on: August 23, 2019, 09:51:48 pm »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60686 on: August 23, 2019, 10:00:15 pm »
What do you guys think for tomorrow? I'm worried that Yarde is going to get an absolute pasting!

How many fighters have gone from Latvians to current world champions successfully? Kovalev isn't what he was but his last fight he pissed it against the guy that stopped him previously

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60687 on: August 23, 2019, 10:02:43 pm »
https://twitter.com/boxingforali/status/1164984911545229312?s=21

Nightmare all round if this is true.

Andy Ruiz is mad. This is a slam dunk case for Matchroom surely

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60688 on: August 23, 2019, 10:05:45 pm »
https://twitter.com/boxingforali/status/1164984911545229312?s=21

Nightmare all round if this is true.

So he hasn't signed the rematch?

Joshua and Hearn are not going to risk the belts being split. The fight will happen.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60689 on: August 23, 2019, 10:06:30 pm »
What do you guys think for tomorrow? I'm worried that Yarde is going to get an absolute pasting!

How many fighters have gone from Latvians to current world champions successfully? Kovalev isn't what he was but his last fight he pissed it against the guy that stopped him previously

Think Yarde can do it myself

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60690 on: August 23, 2019, 10:35:40 pm »

Don't think I've seen anything from Yarde yet to convince me to back him. Kovalev is Jekyll and Hyde though so anything could happen.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #60691 on: August 23, 2019, 11:22:54 pm »

I think it's a case of the 2 cliches:

Is Boxing really about levels or has Yarde picked Kovalev at the right time. I'll go for the latter.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60692 on: August 24, 2019, 12:29:40 am »

On paper I'm expecting Kovalev to drag Yarde around the ring for 8 rounds and then either close out a points win or knock him out late.

'Not on paper' who knows what will happen. Yarde is a completely unknown quantity at this level.   

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #60693 on: August 24, 2019, 01:46:14 am »
Throwback Thursday

The start of a little series looking back at some of the best fights and rivalries. If you have any suggestions, PM me and I will add them to the list.

I could have started with many fights and rivalries but in the spirit of our very own 'El Beefo' fighting in Mexico City this week, I am starting TBT with one of the best Mexican rivalries to ever take place in the squared circle - Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez. These were some of my favourite ever fights to watch and Rafa's brother, Juan Manuel will also feature soon!

Thanks to the power of the internet, the fights are available on YouTube and are well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen them.

These fights really define who both fighters were. They both won two each, fought each other in their prime in absolute wars and the two will always be intrinsically linked because of the rivalry, much like Gatti-Ward (a future TBT). The 2nd and 3rd fights won Ring Magazine Fight of the year awards and the first could have taken it easily too.

ESPN described them as 'the most entertaining fight series in recent boxing history' and I agree 100%

If you haven't seen them, congratulations, you're in for a massive fucking treat!

Fight 1
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/VLu21kh3jOE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/VLu21kh3jOE</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLu21kh3jOE

Fight 2
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/4bW34s5vhaQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/4bW34s5vhaQ</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bW34s5vhaQ

Fight 3
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/DmGhdQuvfO8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/DmGhdQuvfO8</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmGhdQuvfO8

Fight 4 Part 1
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/_kaWedj4G2s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/_kaWedj4G2s</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kaWedj4G2s

Fight 4 Part 2
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/KHgDt9gwq90" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/KHgDt9gwq90</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgDt9gwq90

If you want a few older ones

Arguello-Pryor 1 or 2. First fight definitely the better but both good.
Bobby Chacon v Bazooka Limon 4 is fairly brutal
Wilfredo Gomez v Lupe Pintor
Salvador Sanchez v Danny Lopez

Almost any Gatti fight. He was in so many wars. Gabe Ruelas and Wilson Rodriguez are two of the better earlier ones.
Agree with the shout for Corrales v Castillo - first fight an all time great

Oh and the first Barrera v Morales. Thought Barrera won myself
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:29:00 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60694 on: August 24, 2019, 06:26:37 am »
I don't think you can get a lucky KO punch. But I do think you can get a lucky lead up to a knockout. The Harrison v Sprott fight mentioned above was the one that came immediately to mind - Audley was getting battered , was just throwing for the fences and got lucky in getting one through. But he still had to finish it off - the KO itself wasn't luck.

Interesting that, and leads me to ask.. where do you draw the line? What seperates a lucky punch in the lead up to a KO from a KO shot that some would consider lucky. Why can one be lucky and the other not?

I do find it mad with all the talk of people throwing blind shots, not even looking when throwing punches some feel there's no such thing as a lucky punch, surely that is the very definition, no? Also, in all the fights there have been, i'm sure there's at least a handful of boxers that look back on some of the shots they themselves have thrown in some of their many fights that have described shots they've thrown and landed as lucky

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60695 on: August 24, 2019, 08:19:02 am »
I think it's more to do with timing rather than luck. Two classic examples, firstly McGregor vs Aldo in the UFC. That left hook had absolutely no right to KO Aldo but the timing was especially perfect because Aldo had just throw a left hook himself and was open to attack. Second example is Pacquaio v Marquez. Again, that punch I really did not expect to lay Pacman out cold like that but the timing was spot on. Pacquiao lunged in all guns blazing, left himself wide open and the punch put him down perfectly.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60696 on: August 24, 2019, 08:49:17 am »
I think most of these examples of lucky punches still require the other guy to walk on to them.  So, you can say it's lucky from the winner's perspective, but the loser can't claim bad luck if they walk onto something wild.

That's especially true in Joshua's case which started all this.  Even more because he has a history of getting caught on the way in when he has someone hurt.  Ruiz might have been lucky, but Joshua wasn't unlucky.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60697 on: August 24, 2019, 10:35:32 am »
Nice one lads, just trying to get some interest back in the thread that doesn’t revolve around Khan and Brook or what AJ had for dinner

I know what you mean.  I'd rather post about the great fights of the (not so distant) past, compared to the somewhat tedious stuff that mostly gets talked about on here. 

Current boxing is just a bit of a yawn for me.

I'd highly recommend these DVDs:

In regards to "modern" rivalries, it's hard to look past the greats that have been mentioned already: Marquez brothers, Barrera, Morales, Corrales, Casamayor etc.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:01:48 am by Red-Soldier »

Online King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60698 on: August 24, 2019, 05:49:42 pm »
frank said the walkout is shortly after Liverpool-arsenal match. Has anyone got some early streams? Cannot miss this one obviously

Online King_doggerel

• Legacy Fan

Online King_doggerel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60700 on: August 24, 2019, 07:35:23 pm »
ring walk now

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60701 on: August 24, 2019, 07:37:10 pm »
This ring walk is ridiculous
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60702 on: August 24, 2019, 07:41:43 pm »
This ring walk is ridiculous
Belongs in WWE, absolute shite

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #60703 on: August 24, 2019, 07:46:27 pm »
I know what you mean.  I'd rather post about the great fights of the (not so distant) past, compared to the somewhat tedious stuff that mostly gets talked about on here. 

Meant to post this a while back, not sure whether anyone caught it at the time, but it's a good long read about Sonny Liston by a BBC news journalist: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/48974341

Anyways, Kovalev.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #60704 on: August 24, 2019, 07:48:51 pm »
Is my stream way behind or has the ringwalk really been going on this long?

Still just announcing the boxers in the ring.  ???
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60705 on: August 24, 2019, 08:21:31 pm »
Great round there for Yarde
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60706 on: August 24, 2019, 08:22:26 pm »
Kovalev looks 10 years older after that round.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60707 on: August 24, 2019, 08:30:50 pm »
Yarde looks gassed, he got lit up in that round

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60708 on: August 24, 2019, 08:32:09 pm »
Ouch

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60709 on: August 24, 2019, 08:32:44 pm »
Kovalev found a second wind after that onslaught int he 8th, pretty impressive from him.

Yarde punched himself out in the 8th it looks.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #60710 on: August 24, 2019, 08:33:36 pm »
Got to feel for the guy. So close to finally being right about boxing.

Maybe next time Fordy
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online King_doggerel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60711 on: August 24, 2019, 08:33:52 pm »
yard down.Krushed.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60712 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:06 pm »
Goodnight Irene. Apart from the 8th, masterclass from Kovalev.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #60713 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:29 pm »
Jab was an obvious problem. Getting KO'd by it...
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60714 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:53 pm »
 Yarde tried man. Fcking hell he should have finished kovalev offin the 8th/9th. Never let punchers off the hook. He can come again and rebuild

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60715 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:54 pm »
Good fight.

Online King_doggerel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60716 on: August 24, 2019, 08:35:58 pm »
you gotta feel for the lad, but one step up too far. he wasn't built up at all. with a bit more of experience he could have got him out in round 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60717 on: August 24, 2019, 08:38:06 pm »
Canelo is really going to have a field day against Kovalev.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60718 on: August 25, 2019, 09:22:47 am »
Yarde should have taken the step aside money and fought a contender. Didn't realise the fee was the same as his actual fight fee.

He can't go back to Latvians now. His lack of seasoning is what let him down. Has done entirely what he wanted for his whole career and been 90/10 favourite (being generous) in all of his fights so far.

He needs to fight a Badou Jack/Joe Smith type fights before going in again at world level

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60719 on: August 26, 2019, 01:21:05 pm »
Lads my cousin got tickets for the Lomochenko vs Campbell fight. The fucker soft lad is sorting me out with one.  8)

Was talking to my cousin last night and we agreed no one below Light Welterweight beats Lomo.  I think that's the limit, should he try Welterweight we're heading into career suicide.