Author Topic: Champions of England All Time XI Draft Sign Up Thread  (Read 32917 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Champions of England All Time XI Draft Sign Up Thread
« Reply #280 on: July 3, 2020, 12:56:58 am »
Big Willy is better than any right back in this draft.  8)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: July 3, 2020, 01:01:25 am »
Robben was a good player in England, obviously he was world class for Bayern but why would anyone judge a player overall instead of the time frame they spent in england is baffling given the nature of the draft. Ultimately you can't stop anyone from voting however they want.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: July 3, 2020, 01:04:56 am »
Robben was a good player in England, obviously he was world class for Bayern but why would anyone judge a player overall instead of the time frame they spent in england is baffling given the nature of the draft. Ultimately you can't stop anyone from voting however they want.

That's just it. I'm all in favor of having it be based on their time at the club they won the league for, but people will still vote for whoever.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #283 on: July 3, 2020, 01:22:01 am »

I thought this was agreed upon three times in this very thread.  But alas, confusion exists.   

On another issue, I do think Betty got this right --- Hazell is having a belter of start.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #284 on: July 3, 2020, 01:36:45 am »
I've got one or two in mind who had just gone over top when they won a league. Best sorting it out. What's the rule, chaps? Would hate to have some fucking hipster calling me out on it because said player was only playing on one leg in that 1928 season when he'd been boss for ten seasons before...
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: July 3, 2020, 06:28:43 am »
I sent my picks to Lobo, hopefully enough for both of them if somehow this thing picks up some momentum.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #286 on: July 3, 2020, 08:04:58 am »
PiM still hadn’t gone, so changed my pick as everyone seems to have different rules and don’t wanna be caught out on something that wasn’t decided in this amateurly run draft.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #287 on: July 3, 2020, 08:07:32 am »
PiM still hadn’t gone, so changed my pick as everyone seems to have different rules and don’t wanna be caught out on something that wasn’t decided in this amateurly run draft.

You may want to change it again as Fernandinho is already gone mate.  ;D

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #288 on: July 3, 2020, 08:09:58 am »
Knew that, was just being hilarious again
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: July 3, 2020, 09:17:37 am »
Robson was one I was considering but he was injury prone and generally shite in the two years he picked up a league winners medal. Hence my enquiry above which I'm still waiting on a ruling

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #290 on: July 3, 2020, 09:22:24 am »
Robson was one I was considering but he was injury prone and generally shite in the two years he picked up a league winners medal. Hence my enquiry above which I'm still waiting on a ruling

Like Claus says, people will just make up their own criteria anyway. But I think the general consensus is to judge on their time in England, not just in seasons they got a winners medal.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #291 on: July 3, 2020, 10:04:55 am »
Whats peoples opinion on Emlyn Hughes' best position, I picked him as he gives a little versatility and obviously a great player, but wonder if any of the old fellas on here can give an insight to where he looked best?

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: July 3, 2020, 10:07:18 am »
Ill be playing Charlton in what kids are calling it "The Bruno Role"

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: July 3, 2020, 10:13:38 am »
Overmars is a very good pick.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #294 on: July 3, 2020, 10:19:17 am »
Ill be playing Charlton in what kids are calling it "The Bruno Role"

Mental he lasted this long. I know he's a manc, but he's arguably one of the top players in the entire draft. Excellent spine you've built there, Max.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: July 3, 2020, 10:20:27 am »
Whats peoples opinion on Emlyn Hughes' best position, I picked him as he gives a little versatility and obviously a great player, but wonder if any of the old fellas on here can give an insight to where he looked best?

Crazy horse was a phenomenal player. As his nickname portrays he was a bundle of energy, verve, pace and guile. Like Shanks, I loved him, even if he was a Tory! Positionally, I preferred him at centre back but he played equally well in midfield or left back.  Rather like one or two other ex reds, he could play anywhere and any knowledgeable drafter would take that into consideration. Unfortunately, as the last draft confirmed, football only started when the PL was established in this God forsaken fucking c*nt of a Country.....hope this helps?  ;D

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: July 3, 2020, 10:21:13 am »
If Overmars is a very good pick then so is Robben

Both were next priority for me (Robben first), great picks in my opinion

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #297 on: July 3, 2020, 10:27:06 am »
Crazy horse was a phenomenal player. As his nickname portrays he was a bundle of energy, verve, pace and guile. Like Shanks, I loved him, even if he was a Tory! Positionally, I preferred him at centre back but he played equally well in midfield or left back.  Rather like one or two other ex reds, he could play anywhere and any knowledgeable drafter would take that into consideration. Unfortunately, as the last draft confirmed, football only started when the PL was established in this God forsaken fucking c*nt of a Country.....hope this helps?  ;D

Perfect, it was a question slightly aimed at you  ;D

Confirms that I can play as I see who is available and kind of shift him around as I need, with the option of Hughes and Hansen pairing up a the back.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2020, 10:31:01 am by Elzar »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: July 3, 2020, 10:31:10 am »
Claus won't be around for a couple of hours, it's early in the morning on his side of the world. Lobo has his picks, if he's around.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #299 on: July 3, 2020, 10:33:10 am »
Claus won't be around for a couple of hours, it's early in the morning on his side of the world. Lobo has his picks, if he's around.

Ta, PM'd Lobo.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: July 3, 2020, 10:35:20 am »
Now Claus is getting the hang of it. Tevez is a fantastic pick at this stage.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: July 3, 2020, 10:36:26 am »
Mental he lasted this long. I know he's a manc, but he's arguably one of the top players in the entire draft. Excellent spine you've built there, Max.

'Arguably' is correct. No matter he's a manc...and a ticket tout, he played his best football for England in the Ramsey era where he was given license to roam. With United, he was more functional with the emphasis on getting it to Best, Law and really struggled when that team broke up. Great player, yes, but slightly overrated for me. Those thunderbolts from distance, for which he was renowned, came about as regularly as Fabinho's...

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: July 3, 2020, 10:37:46 am »
Now Claus is getting the hang of it. Tevez is a fantastic pick at this stage.

I'm not having a great morning. Another one bites the dust. Moving on to page 2...

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #303 on: July 3, 2020, 10:42:03 am »
'Arguably' is correct. No matter he's a manc...and a ticket tout, he played his best football for England in the Ramsey era where he was given license to roam. With United, he was more functional with the emphasis on getting it to Best, Law and really struggled when that team broke up. Great player, yes, but slightly overrated for me. Those thunderbolts from distance, for which he was renowned, came about as regularly as Fabinho's...

Definitely overrated by the English media. But he's still a steal in round 4. Charlton does also have a 1 in 3 rate (199 goals in 606 games) for United, so I think the Fabinho comparison is a tad unfair. Maybe half of those came off his arse, but that's still a great goal return for a midfielder (albeit an attacking one and more of a forward at times).
« Last Edit: July 3, 2020, 10:43:50 am by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: July 3, 2020, 11:02:48 am »
Definitely overrated by the English media. But he's still a steal in round 4. Charlton does also have a 1 in 3 rate (199 goals in 606 games) for United, so I think the Fabinho comparison is a tad unfair. Maybe half of those came off his arse, but that's still a great goal return for a midfielder (albeit an attacking one and more of a forward at times).

I was being facetious BB but was talking specifically about his party piece, the thunderbolt from distance and, tbf, with either foot. But they were the exception, not the rule, they just get shown a lot! Still believe he was better under ramsey than Sir Matt. I say all this having left the pen when the gates opened and stood on the kop for the last 20 minutes just in time to watch the tout blam one into the kop net to make it 4-1 in 69. If I remember correctly, Ian fucking Ure scored as well as Willie Morgan. Never forgiven him!

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #305 on: July 3, 2020, 11:15:18 am »
I was being facetious BB but was talking specifically about his party piece, the thunderbolt from distance and, tbf, with either foot. But they were the exception, not the rule, they just get shown a lot! Still believe he was better under ramsey than Sir Matt. I say all this having left the pen when the gates opened and stood on the kop for the last 20 minutes just in time to watch the tout blam one into the kop net to make it 4-1 in 69. If I remember correctly, Ian fucking Ure scored as well as Willie Morgan. Never forgiven him!

We're on the same page, mate. My pa similarly never much rated him. Not to the levels that he gets talked up anyway. On that same token, he said the same about Bobby Moore. But that's a whole other can of worms. Either way, Charlton is still an excellent pick up in round 4 with a fairly limited pool of players. 

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #306 on: July 3, 2020, 11:16:22 am »

Not just by English media. Football books and historians consider him as the best British player ever alongside Best and Moore.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: July 3, 2020, 11:22:01 am »
Has vish been contacted? Although PIM has come in late does the hour start when lobo posted claus' pick?

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #308 on: July 3, 2020, 11:26:33 am »
Not just by English media. Football books and historians consider him as the best British player ever alongside Best and Moore.

Best British player. Not a very high bar then  :D

The fact is very few of us in here watched any of the older players at their peak. I'm simply going off what my pa's opinion of the greats were + what I've seen in clips. Best is a GOAT though. Without doubt. Even the Kop begrudgingly loved him back in those days.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: July 3, 2020, 11:30:59 am »
Has vish been contacted? Although PIM has come in late does the hour start when lobo posted claus' pick?

He has :thumbup
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #310 on: July 3, 2020, 11:49:22 am »
Do I need to Pm Vish?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: July 3, 2020, 11:50:49 am »
Nah don’t worry I did it mate

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #312 on: July 3, 2020, 11:55:29 am »

A lot of older players are so hard to judge unless you extensively research them and the players they played against. The reputation they have tends to come from international footy, and even now players at international level perform completely different to club.

I think it was the second goal England scored in the world cup final, Bobby Moore free kick and headed in, heard some going on about how great the free kick was, but when you look at the defending, it was a free header in the middle of the goal, closer than the penalty spot. Imagine that now!

It tends to be why I struggle in drafts, as I prefer to pick players me or at least my dad would have told me about. Might change in this draft though.....

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: July 3, 2020, 12:04:00 pm »
A lot of older players are so hard to judge unless you extensively research them and the players they played against. The reputation they have tends to come from international footy, and even now players at international level perform completely different to club.

I think it was the second goal England scored in the world cup final, Bobby Moore free kick and headed in, heard some going on about how great the free kick was, but when you look at the defending, it was a free header in the middle of the goal, closer than the penalty spot. Imagine that now!

It tends to be why I struggle in drafts, as I prefer to pick players me or at least my dad would have told me about. Might change in this draft though.....

As drafting is not an exact science, it does require some research and a vivid imagination...ooh er, in order to draw a conclusion. As long as your choices are honest and without rancour toward others, then you are no better or worse than any other drafter, mate. Main thing is to enjoy the process.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #314 on: July 3, 2020, 12:07:35 pm »
As drafting is not an exact science, it does require some research and a vivid imagination...ooh er, in order to draw a conclusion. As long as your choices are honest and without rancour toward others, then you are no better or worse than any other drafter, mate. Main thing is to enjoy the process.

Yeah, sorry, wasn't having a go or saying it's "wrong" to draft older players, more that to me I draft because I tend to make a team I find fun or like the look of, so struggle to go with the older ones. If I see a player in a team that is before my time, I tend to just trust the reputation and go from there, as trying to research into how Passarella would deal with Mbappe is a task no man has time for!

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: July 3, 2020, 12:39:20 pm »
Yeah, sorry, wasn't having a go or saying it's "wrong" to draft older players, more that to me I draft because I tend to make a team I find fun or like the look of, so struggle to go with the older ones. If I see a player in a team that is before my time, I tend to just trust the reputation and go from there, as trying to research into how Passarella would deal with Mbappe is a task no man has time for!

Never thought you were having a go, mate. I understand the struggle you talked about. I didn't have the same range of knowledge of players abroad as i do with English Leagues going back to the mid 60's. So, I've enjoyed the research, tapped in to the really good drafters knowledge and wisdom, then formed my own opinions based on that received wisdom and research. The rest is down to the imagination. One guideline I use is to reverse the idea of players from yesteryear not being able to cope with the rigours of modern football. Some of these modern day primadonna's would not have lasted 5 minutes with heavy pitches, heavy balls, heavier tackling. For example, I just watched highlights of 69 Liverpool-Man Utd game after having spoken with BB over Charlton. Chrissy Lawler absolutely nails John Aston and I mean twats him, Aston hits the deck in obvious pain. Ref? No foul, gestures to Aston to get up, which, tbf, he does but he's well fucked.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: July 3, 2020, 12:57:57 pm »
This 1st half of draft is pretty even stevens if you ask me.

Everyone with solid selections.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: July 3, 2020, 01:04:13 pm »
This 1st half of draft is pretty even stevens if you ask me.

Everyone with solid selections.

Agreed. Last 3/4 picks will be fun

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #318 on: July 3, 2020, 01:49:51 pm »
Wright, Cantona and Ronaldo?  Interested to see where this is going.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #319 on: July 3, 2020, 01:55:13 pm »
Conferring with Jersey on our next two picks... Will post soon lads.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer