Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310717 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2040 on: November 26, 2018, 06:22:32 pm »
Youtube livestream starts in 30 minutes or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGD_YF64Nwk
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2041 on: November 26, 2018, 07:11:55 pm »
its on. is farawayred going to be on the telly?

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2042 on: November 26, 2018, 07:52:44 pm »
Chute deployed; ground radar activated.

EDIT: TOUCHDOWN.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:54:36 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: November 26, 2018, 07:54:47 pm »
wahey!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2044 on: November 26, 2018, 07:55:31 pm »
Fantastic.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2045 on: November 26, 2018, 08:05:37 pm »
the countdown to the landing was great. still cant believe how fast telemetry comes back.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2046 on: November 26, 2018, 08:15:40 pm »
the countdown to the landing was great. still cant believe how fast telemetry comes back.

That's because it's all fake, it's a warehouse in Barnsley

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2047 on: November 26, 2018, 11:57:27 pm »
It was freaking cool!... We are now closing on the 50-50 chance of successful landing! ;D (19 successful, 20 unsuccessful)

A good article on BBC:
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46351114

Tom Hoffman, the project manager, is pretty happy:

It's too early to say, but it seems that we've been incredibly lucky with the landing spot - flat and rock-free. Perfect place for both the seismometer and the mole. Much to do, solar panels, instrument deployment... But so far, so good.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: November 26, 2018, 11:58:53 pm »
That's because it's all fake, it's a warehouse in Barnsley
Utter bollocks! We have good movie houses right next to us in Hollywood, why would we go to Barnsley?!  ;D

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2049 on: November 27, 2018, 09:39:47 am »
Utter bollocks! We have good movie houses right next to us in Hollywood, why would we go to Barnsley?!  ;D

Umm because when they find the Aliens they'll be bad guys and the bad guys have to have British accents! God!

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #2050 on: November 27, 2018, 10:48:10 am »
Its first selfie.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2051 on: November 28, 2018, 12:39:33 am »
Amqzing
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: November 28, 2018, 04:55:45 am »
Umm because when they find the Aliens they'll be bad guys and the bad guys have to have British accents! God!
You are so right!

(in Sean Connery's voice) "Como eshtash, everybody?"

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2053 on: November 28, 2018, 04:59:21 am »
Its first selfie.

The best thing about this picture is this - look at the rock clear field near the rover versus the rock field from nearby all the way to the horizon! The seismologists are ecstatic! Philippe Lognonne and Bruce Banerdt are very eager to deploy the instrument (his text  today showed more than a relief.)

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #2054 on: November 28, 2018, 11:01:20 am »
The best thing about this picture is this - look at the rock clear field near the rover versus the rock field from nearby all the way to the horizon! The seismologists are ecstatic! Philippe Lognonne and Bruce Banerdt are very eager to deploy the instrument (his text  today showed more than a relief.)

I wonder if the booster rockets as it landed cleared the area.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2055 on: November 28, 2018, 01:25:58 pm »

like fuck they did, it's Crosby beach with a red filter, the flat earthers told me ;D

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2056 on: November 28, 2018, 05:12:24 pm »
No, I don't believe so. Maybe the jets cleared the small centimeter-sized ones, but they can't move a 20-cm rock like those on the background.

But you know what JPL stand for, right? Just Plain Lucky. ;D

Edit: landed in a sandy crater apparently.
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/mars-mission-got-lucky-nasa-lander-touched-down-sand-filled-crater-easing-study-planets
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:12:37 am by farawayred »

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: November 29, 2018, 04:07:35 am »
And I heard that we had the first "oops" already... The lander went into a same mode triggered by a cold temperature somewhere. I'm hoping that it's nothing serious...

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2058 on: November 30, 2018, 08:04:15 am »

Wut?

https://www.sciencealert.com/microbes-on-the-iss-show-we-can-t-take-astronaut-health-for-granted

Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria Have Been Discovered on Board The International Space Station

An uninvited guest has been caught hitching a ride on the International Space Station, and it's a worrying one. JPL-NASA Scientists have identified strains of Enterobacter collected from the space station's toilet and exercise area.

If you've heard of the genus before, it's probably in relation to hospitals. Some Enterobacter strains can infect immunocompromised patients in intensive care wards - and they have high resistance to antibiotics.

Luckily, the strains of Enterobacter found on the ISS were strains that aren't pathogenic to humans, but the fact that there were any strains of Enterobacter on the station at all could have worrying implications.

Human bodies are positively teeming with (beneficial) microbes. We trail them wherever we go; and, even using our best sterilisation methods, we can't entirely eradicate them on spacecraft in clean rooms. So it would be incredibly surprising if there weren't any at all aboard the International Space Station.

But it's an environment unlike any found on Earth. There's microgravity, there's space radiation, there are elevated carbon dioxide levels, and there's the constant presence of humans, all of which could affect the way microbes live and propagate.

Microbiologists with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory regularly analyse microbe samples collected from the space station to see if the space environment affects their populations in any way - and also to see if they are posing a hazard either to the health of the astronauts, or the delicate equipment.

But this is the first time they've identified antibiotic-resistant Enterobacter strains up there.

"To show which species of the bacteria were present on the ISS, we used various methods to characterise their genomes in detail. We revealed that genomes of the five ISS Enterobacter strains were genetically most similar to three strains newly found on Earth," explained microbioligist Kasthuri Venkateswaran.

"These three strains belonged to one species of the bacteria, called Enterobacter bugandensis, which had been found to cause disease in neonates and a compromised patient, who were admitted to three different hospitals (in east Africa, Washington state and Colorado)."

The samples were collected in 2015, and no astronauts have been struck down by an Enterobacter, so the microbes don't seem to be an immediate danger.

But, in the future, they could pose one. The researchers compared their antibiotic resistance to that of the three clinical strains, and found that the space Enterobacter were resistant to cefazolin, cefoxitin, oxacillin, penicillin and rifampin, and had varying degrees of resistance to others.

They also found that, while the space station Enterobacter strains aren't currently human-pathogenic, they have 112 genes in common with the clinical strains, associated with virulence, disease and defense.

According to computer modelling, there is a 79 percent probability that they will develop into a human pathogen, and cause disease.

This is yet to be tested in living organisms, and we do need to reiterate that currently, the astronauts are safe from infection by these particular strains. But the discovery does warrant further investigation and, possibly, a way for residents of the space station to deal with antibiotic-resistant diseases.

"Whether or not an opportunistic pathogen like E. bugandensis causes disease and how much of a threat it is, depends on a variety of factors, including environmental ones," Venkateswaran said.

"Further in vivo studies are needed to discern the impact that conditions on the ISS, such as microgravity, other space, and spacecraft-related factors, may have on pathogenicity and virulence."

The team's research has been published in the journal BMC Microbiology.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2059 on: December 1, 2018, 04:47:13 am »
So far, so good with InSight. Next week is going to be interesting, look forward to images from the under-belly camera to survey the site for instrument deployment. Check out this site and its Surface Ops page:
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/

I have no idea why the grapple hook is moving n this image:

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2060 on: December 1, 2018, 08:05:43 am »
Should be more worried about the alien spider in the reflection IMO
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2061 on: December 1, 2018, 07:19:27 pm »
So far, so good with InSight. Next week is going to be interesting, look forward to images from the under-belly camera to survey the site for instrument deployment. Check out this site and its Surface Ops page:

Meh, looks like it was leaning already, probably just rolled as it settled.  You can see the 'flat' bit of the pentago now fully resting on InSight.

(I know you probably already know this... :P )
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2062 on: December 1, 2018, 08:12:45 pm »
Almost certainly a Martian moving it between the shots  :shocked

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #2063 on: December 2, 2018, 10:04:21 am »
https://www.360cities.net/image/mars-panorama-curiosity-solar-day-2082

Why is there the shape of a man's head when you zoom in on the lens?  :o :P
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2064 on: December 2, 2018, 11:49:37 am »
In the midst of all this InSight hoo haa ;) let us not forget that our old friend New Horizons is just a month away from a historic close encounter with a KBO - the furthest object in the solar system ever to be explored up close and personal; and the first object to be explored that wasn't discovered until after the explorer had been sent.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/PI-Perspectives.php?page=piPerspective_11_27_2018

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2065 on: December 3, 2018, 08:05:58 pm »
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2066 on: December 3, 2018, 08:18:22 pm »
Still not settled science this.  I saw a really solid questioning of them having been found at all a couple of weeks ago
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #2067 on: December 4, 2018, 09:39:31 am »

In the second frame as the hook moves to the left, you can clearly see what looks like indentations or abrasions in the metal from it being hit and moved about. Im not sure what type of metal or carbon it is and whether it's quite light or heavy but it looks like it could have been moving/rattling about quite a lot, maybe through the descent. Hope it doesn't hinder the mission in any way as I'd imagine it's extremely important given the stability needed.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2068 on: December 4, 2018, 09:59:17 am »
Looks like there’s padding on the metal to prevent abrasion to me.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2069 on: December 5, 2018, 07:03:41 pm »
In the second frame as the hook moves to the left, you can clearly see what looks like indentations or abrasions in the metal from it being hit and moved about. Im not sure what type of metal or carbon it is and whether it's quite light or heavy but it looks like it could have been moving/rattling about quite a lot, maybe through the descent. Hope it doesn't hinder the mission in any way as I'd imagine it's extremely important given the stability needed.
Looks like there’s padding on the metal to prevent abrasion to me.
Yes, there is padding. The grapple hook hangs on a wire string and it can bounce a lot. The instrument deployment is a very scary sight... It's noting like the animation on the web page. The seismometer swings initially at +/-25 degrees on Earth, and +/-45 degrees unloaded for Mars gravity! You watch the damn thing and you would think it would break against a rock... But in reality, the instrument would survive being thrown from the lander deck.

And so far, so good. The IDC (instrument deployment camera) is working and the second phase of unstowing the arm has gone smoothly.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2070 on: December 5, 2018, 10:24:59 pm »

A Falcon 9 rocket spinning out of control but it did make a water landing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-gYDHmcCztc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-gYDHmcCztc</a>

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2071 on: December 6, 2018, 03:00:20 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: December 6, 2018, 09:09:05 pm »
https://blogs.nasa.gov/sunspot/2018/11/14/excitement-increases-as-voyager-2-sees-a-decrease-in-heliospheric-particles/

Thoght this was very interesting (From November)
That's awesome! Thanks for posting! More than 40 years in service and to me it's amazing that we can still get a signal strong enough to get data.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2073 on: December 7, 2018, 09:17:42 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yT50Q_Zbf3s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yT50Q_Zbf3s</a>

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: December 7, 2018, 10:31:00 pm »
Cool video! The French were actually claiming that they caught a dust devil. Check out the recent images from the IDC, the camera that’s our eyes for positioning the instruments. They just opened its dust cover a few hours ago.

Edit: This noise was excellent news for me. The 20 min of data were used to estimate the thermal time constant of the sphere at ~4h. The design requirement was >2h, which is reached with poor vacuum in the instrument (~0.01 mbar). So, the vacuum looks great, it is <0.0001 mbar where gas conductance matters, so my getters are working fine! :thumbup Feels great to help save a mission... :P 
« Last Edit: December 7, 2018, 10:54:25 pm by farawayred »

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2075 on: December 8, 2018, 03:52:36 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yT50Q_Zbf3s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yT50Q_Zbf3s</a>
Wow! First time mankind has ever heard a sound from another planet. Think about that. Thousand of years into the future, they will remember this day.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2076 on: December 8, 2018, 05:58:35 am »
Recent InSight images from the IDC camera show all instruments that will be deployed. This one shows all:

The close-up hexagonal shape is the seismometer, the round dome behind is its wind/thermal shield, and the straight black tube to the left is the mole. All of them have a grapple hook on top that the arm will grab to place on the ground.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: December 8, 2018, 07:18:47 am »
Wow! First time mankind has ever heard a sound from another planet. Think about that. Thousand of years into the future, they will remember this day.

Actually no. I believe the Huygens probe carried a microphone as it descended on Titan? Seem to remember them having about 2 hours of audio.

Popcorn's Art

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2078 on: December 8, 2018, 08:03:42 am »
Actually no. I believe the Huygens probe carried a microphone as it descended on Titan? Seem to remember them having about 2 hours of audio.

I think voyager recorded the sound of Jupiter before that?

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2079 on: December 8, 2018, 10:24:39 am »
I think voyager recorded the sound of Jupiter before that?

It recorded the radio emissions yeah, but that's not quite the same thing as actual audio.

Popcorn's Art