Author Topic: FSG discussion thread  (Read 743733 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FSG discussion thread
« Reply #6800 on: November 24, 2022, 10:52:55 pm »
Why would someone wave a random countries flag at a football stadium ? Do city fans really wave Qatar flags, as despot regime or not, that would be a dumb thing to do ?

Why the fuck would City fans wave the Qatari flag ?

Dumb,yeah you are.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #6801 on: November 24, 2022, 10:54:04 pm »
Why would someone wave a random countries flag at a football stadium ? Do city fans really wave Qatar flags, as despot regime or not, that would be a dumb thing to do ?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-fans-saudi-arabia-flag-26456382

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #6802 on: November 24, 2022, 10:55:47 pm »

Why the fuck would City fans wave the Qatari flag ?

Dumb,yeah you are.

He’s thick as mince. Annoyed I wasted time responding to him.

Offline beardsleyismessimk1

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is for living, so live it
« Reply #6803 on: November 24, 2022, 10:56:38 pm »
Wouldn't it be great if everyone stood up for their own little battles? Sure, we wouldn't end Saudi business interests in the UK but we might highlight to a few more people why it's a problem and we might even win our little battle, something that matters to us. No, we wouldn't solve all of the problems that exist, but we just might fix that one.

Of course you can fight for what you believe in and you should.  If you feel strongly about something you should fight for what you believe in in all corners not just pick and choose.

Scousers are probably the only ones in the UK who are willing to put up a fight, have resistance against wrong doing.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6804 on: November 24, 2022, 10:56:38 pm »

So if a Saudi Prince owns is, who doesn’t set the rules in Saudi Arabia, is that ok? 

If the Saudi state buys us, but the majority of people in Saudi Arabia and the Royal Family don’t agree with the laws in Saudi Arabia but are too scared to speak out / rock the boat - is that ok?

I don’t want state ownership in football full stop - it’s destroyed the game, but we shouldn’t be discriminatory towards one group of potential owners vs. others.   

It’s a fact that not everyone in Saudi Arabia is evil, not everyone in the Saudi Royal Family is evil etc.

I’m not big on good and evil but the Saudi royal family is as close to entirely evil as it gets if you happen to be gay, a woman, a Jew, Yemeni, anyone writing or saying anything critical about them etc etc etc
Why don’t you pop over there and try the last one on this list in Saudi and trust your read on their not entirely evil vibe, see how you get on

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6805 on: November 24, 2022, 10:57:40 pm »
Are we happy with US ownership as our human rights role model?

The Biden administration has determined that Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Salman, should be granted immunity in a case brought against him by the fiancée of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi, whom the administration has said was murdered at the prince’s direction.

As someone who spent a long time in South Asia, it feels like human rights are ignored when those countries and being exploited by the west.  People only start to get uncomfortable when they see wealthy Asians buying up assets in their countries. Unconscious racism / bias - I’ve seen this first hand.

Whataboutism and accusations of racism towards the potential for South Asian owners. All the boxes being ticked right now.

I don't care how old you are or where you're from. But if you think what you're spouting has anything to do with what it means to be a Liverpool fan, then you've either had a lobotomy or are sorely needing one.

Sportswashing betrays everything this club stands for and was built on. If you really feel the need to argue semantics on that, then you don't know this club.

I don't want to see my club in the wilderness forever, relegated to an also ran with no chance for the big prizes. But I can live with it, if it means keeping journalist murdering, modern slaving bastards like that out of my club.

Can you?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6806 on: November 24, 2022, 10:59:49 pm »
Where is this Saudi news is even coming from ? They already own Newcastle unless its some else entirely.

A few pages back. They say they will back "private investors" to buy both Liverpool and Man United. Owning without owning. Everton That.

Popcorn's Art

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6807 on: November 24, 2022, 11:01:07 pm »
I’m not big on good and evil but the Saudi royal family is as close to entirely evil as it gets if you happen to be gay, a woman, a Jew, Yemeni, anyone writing or saying anything critical about them etc etc etc
Why don’t you pop over there and try the last one on this list in Saudi and trust your read on their not entirely evil vibe, see how you get on

So in a 2000 year history of evil and wrong doing by states governments sovereignty its just their turn to be condemned? Unfortunately for them it comes at a time when things can be highlighted far more than they ever could be in the 2000 odd years these atrocious acts have been carried out by one group or another
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6808 on: November 24, 2022, 11:01:23 pm »
I've been thinking about this potential pile of shit that's likely to befall us by having despotic new owners and decided if we've got to have them then please for the love of all things Liverpool let us have the bestest, richest sportswashers.

It would be just typical that we end up with cheapskate sportswashers that never spent a fucking penny 😂😂😂

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6809 on: November 24, 2022, 11:02:23 pm »
Of course you can fight for what you believe in and you should.  If you feel strongly about something you should fight for what you believe in in all corners not just pick and choose.

Scousers are probably the only ones in the UK who are willing to put up a fight, have resistance against wrong doing.
Then what the fuck were all your previous posts about?

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6810 on: November 24, 2022, 11:05:16 pm »
Then what the fuck were all your previous posts about?

The reasoning

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6811 on: November 24, 2022, 11:05:21 pm »
I've been thinking about this potential pile of shit that's likely to befall us by having despotic new owners and decided if we've got to have them then please for the love of all things Liverpool let us have the bestest, richest sportswashers.

It would be just typical that we end up with cheapskate sportswashers that never spent a fucking penny 😂😂😂

My only crumbs of comfort should such a situation arise is knowing that City fans will shit bricks because LFC can suddenly fight them on even terms and that they're not going away. That will go double if United go the same way. City fans are terrified of returning to obscurity.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6812 on: November 24, 2022, 11:09:45 pm »
So in a 2000 year history of evil and wrong doing by states governments sovereignty its just their turn to be condemned? Unfortunately for them it comes at a time when things can be highlighted far more than they ever could be in the 2000 odd years these atrocious acts have been carried out by one group or another

I can condem the past atrocities of western nations, and can condem their current atrocities too.

Just because western nations had past societies and laws which are horrendous to minority groups does not mean one cannot condemn Saudi Arabia for presently being horrendous to minority groups.

And as has been said before, most western owners are not the actual countries governments approving atrocities, where as Saudi owners would be the very government implementing these human rights abuses

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6813 on: November 24, 2022, 11:11:24 pm »
The only thing I'd want to say is it's not our responsibility as fans to fight political battles that our elected leaders shirk. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't fight, just that's not really the deal with sports.

• Owner Of A Messy Room!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6814 on: November 24, 2022, 11:13:36 pm »
I can condem the past atrocities of western nations, and can condem their current atrocities too.

Just because western nations had past societies and laws which are horrendous to minority groups does not mean one cannot condemn Saudi Arabia for presently being horrendous to minority groups.

And as has been said before, most western owners are not the actual countries governments approving atrocities, where as Saudi owners would be the very government implementing these human rights abuses

Do you think very rich business owners are not aligned with their countries governments in some way or another?  If nothing else the amount of money contributed in taxes to a regime that uses a lot of tax money on war.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6815 on: November 24, 2022, 11:14:29 pm »
My only crumbs of comfort should such a situation arise is knowing that City fans will shit bricks because LFC can suddenly fight them on even terms and that they're not going away. That will go double if United go the same way. City fans are terrified of returning to obscurity.

This is true mate which is why it would be typical for us to go through with a sale to an oil state that left us worse off than we are now.

It's like double jeopardy with bells on 🤷

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6816 on: November 24, 2022, 11:16:30 pm »
The only thing I'd want to say is it's not our responsibility as fans to fight political battles that our elected leaders shirk. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't fight, just that's not really the deal with sports.

It is though. That's why Sportswashers are using sport in the first place - to circumvent proper political scrutiny by invading our beloved past time and polluting it with dirty money. It's the whole reason Qatar is happening, and why so many pundits are taking that dirty money because they just want to "concentrate on the sport".

If not us, then who?

Popcorn's Art

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6817 on: November 24, 2022, 11:18:22 pm »
Do you think very rich business owners are not aligned with their countries governments in some way or another?  If nothing else the amount of money contributed in taxes to a regime that uses a lot of tax money on war.

They don't have any control on what their tax money goes towards, where as Sportswashing owners directly make the laws to oppress groups.

Furthermore, with western owners being linked, if their views are counter to our ideals as a club, we as fans have called them knobheads to be avoided (see Ratcliffe, Ricketts, and I believe  Pagliuca)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6818 on: November 24, 2022, 11:18:50 pm »
This is true mate which is why it would be typical for us to go through with a sale to an oil state that left us worse off than we are now.

It's like double jeopardy with bells on 🤷

I don't think any oil state would do that, but they will certainly look to play things quieter with us than they have with certain other clubs. They've explored the learning curve and know what to do, sadly.

Popcorn's Art

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6819 on: November 24, 2022, 11:19:26 pm »
It is though. That's why Sportswashers are using sport in the first place - to circumvent proper political scrutiny by invading our beloved past time and polluting it with dirty money. It's the whole reason Qatar is happening, and why so many pundits are taking that dirty money because they just want to "concentrate on the sport".

If not us, then who?

I believe that it shouldn't be us, but as our government has waved them in happily, then it HAS to be us.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6820 on: November 24, 2022, 11:25:05 pm »
I believe that it shouldn't be us, but as our government has waved them in happily, then it HAS to be us.

We are all John McClane.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6821 on: November 24, 2022, 11:27:13 pm »
We are all John McClane.

Embarrassingly I have never watched Die Hard  :-X

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6822 on: November 24, 2022, 11:27:57 pm »
Yippee Ki Yay!

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6823 on: November 24, 2022, 11:35:41 pm »

Haha please … “unfortunately for them”… fuck me… poor luvs

Other peoples atrocities have got nothing to do with the prospect of us supporting an organ of the Saudi Royal family
You want us to go with banners saying ‘up the pool: for 2000 years many other people have also committed atrocities’
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 11:39:53 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6824 on: November 24, 2022, 11:41:01 pm »
The only thing I'd want to say is it's not our responsibility as fans to fight political battles that our elected leaders shirk.

Of course it is

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6825 on: November 24, 2022, 11:44:28 pm »
whose responsibility is it?  unions?  religious organizations?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #6826 on: November 24, 2022, 11:45:01 pm »
it’s a bit mad that people who say they are Liverpool fans still don’t think they should have a voice politically, whether you like it or not - they are linked, more so in cities like Liverpool than anywhere.   I just can’t fathom supporting LFC and tuning out politically.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6827 on: November 24, 2022, 11:52:45 pm »
it’s a bit mad that people who say they are Liverpool fans still don’t think they should have a voice politically, whether you like it or not - they are linked, more so in cities like Liverpool than anywhere.   I just can’t fathom supporting LFC and tuning out politically.

Same.
Plenty of clubs will accommodate you if principle free football is your jam

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #6828 on: November 25, 2022, 12:06:19 am »

You bastard as soon as I read that I started singing supermatch game I can’t get it out of my head now.

So, as the contestant, for 50 blanks...  (you can ask others to help)

It's your go.  (Supermatch game, Supermatch game...)
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
« Reply #6829 on: November 25, 2022, 12:14:33 am »
A politically conscious fan base is one of the many things I love about our club. I categorically don’t want dirty oil  rich state to own our club, for all the reasons already discussed. But this moment in our history does raise significant questions. The club is for sale for a bonkers amount of money. More than £3billion quid. The only people or groups who have access to that sort of money do not have clean hands. They will have invested in all kinds of morally questionable sectors, taken advantage of workers, trashed the environment and treated tax avoidance like a sport to excel at. The Middle East has been awash with western money for decades. We’ve fought two wars there in my lifetime to protect Western geopolitical interests. Hell, there are now US investment funds buying into the City football group.

So where do we draw the line? Most of us are dead against Middle East state ownership. But are we going to investigate the origins of every hedge fund that tries to buy us and protest if we don’t like the answer? Or will we turn a blind eye. What if it’s Apple? Or Meta? Both guilty of horrendous actions, but we still all use their products.

There is no good outcome here. I doubt there is even a lesser of two evils.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6830 on: November 25, 2022, 12:15:35 am »
The Manchester Evening News are reporting that Amancio Ortega, the owner of Zara, is interested in buying Man United.

As I said before we need to sound out Bernard Arnault.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6831 on: November 25, 2022, 12:20:10 am »
A politically conscious fan base is one of the many things I love about our club. I categorically don’t want dirty oil  rich state to own our club, for all the reasons already discussed. But this moment in our history does raise significant questions. The club is for sale for a bonkers amount of money. More than £3billion quid. The only people or groups who have access to that sort of money do not have clean hands. They will have invested in all kinds of morally questionable sectors, taken advantage of workers, trashed the environment and treated tax avoidance like a sport to excel at. The Middle East has been awash with western money for decades. We’ve fought two wars there in my lifetime to protect Western geopolitical interests. Hell, there are now US investment funds buying into the City football group.

So where do we draw the line? Most of us are dead against Middle East state ownership. But are we going to investigate the origins of every hedge fund that tries to buy us and protest if we don’t like the answer? Or will we turn a blind eye. What if it’s Apple? Or Meta? Both guilty of horrendous actions, but we still all use their products.

There is no good outcome here. I doubt there is even a lesser of two evils.

This is just another attempt at the same whataboutery those that excuse sports washing use
Undemocratic, murderous states are the line. It really isn’t complicated

We’re not all 9 year old children and that’s the only group this argument should work on  .. any version of ‘corporates do some bad things so they are bad and murderous oppressive regimes are bad therefore there’s no difference’ is just a risible argument 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 12:21:41 am by JackWard33 »

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6832 on: November 25, 2022, 12:20:57 am »

If not us, then who?

I don't agree with that. Qatar, the UAE and Saudi Arabia only bought these clubs with political acquiescence by the countries the clubs are located in. There's no talk of them buying any teams here in the US because politically it would never happen outside of the weird NYCFC/MLS situation. The point of these purchases is to open greater political doors than their stature would normally allow (Qatar/UAE) or just to flex their muscle (KSA), not to hide anything. They want to be accepted as is by using these teams or for the WC bending FIFA to it's will.

Of course it is

I'll support you doing it but just think it's fair to point out sports is an outlet from this and not part and parcel for a lot of people.

whose responsibility is it?  unions?  religious organizations?

Generally, your elected official? Why hold elections otherwise? At the end of the day what we're talking about is governance of the sport as a whole. Getting active over one potential buyer doesn't really change that dynamic and it seems odd for a lot of the fans of this club to seemingly have already forgot that considering it's recent past.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 12:22:32 am by Dave McCoy »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6833 on: November 25, 2022, 12:23:45 am »
I don't have access to the article as it's behind a paywall but apparently James Pearce's latest article is him saying we're expected to be sold in 2023.  Probably means his mate Ornstein heard something is coming.

Offline d.arn

• Kopite
« Reply #6834 on: November 25, 2022, 12:40:09 am »

Taking a leaf straight out of Infantino's book, there.

Yes, most countries have committed atrocities in the past 2000 years. European countries probably more than most. But at least Europe, the US and other democracies have looked back at history and come to the conclusion that democracy, free speech, free media, personal liberty and human rights is the way forward. You know, as to not repeat the horrendous mistakes of the past 2000 years.

"The West" is certainly not perfect, but it has learned at least a few lessons from the past 2000 years about what it means to have countries ruled by despots that oppress their peoples, persecute dissidents and critics, and murder people deemed deviant for whatever reason. Saudi Arabia is doing that today, in the time we actually live in, where we can have a meaningful opinion on the matter.

All of history's atrocities have very little relevance to the ownership of football clubs in 2022, whereas Saudi Arabia's atrocities very much have. It can't be that hard to see the difference.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6835 on: November 25, 2022, 12:42:25 am »
I don't agree with that. Qatar, the UAE and Saudi Arabia only bought these clubs with political acquiescence by the countries the clubs are located in. There's no talk of them buying any teams here in the US because politically it would never happen outside of the weird NYCFC/MLS situation. The point of these purchases is to open greater political doors than their stature would normally allow (Qatar/UAE) or just to flex their muscle (KSA), not to hide anything. They want to be accepted as is by using these teams or for the WC bending FIFA to it's will.

I'll support you doing it but just think it's fair to point out sports is an outlet from this and not part and parcel for a lot of people.

Generally, your elected official? Why hold elections otherwise? At the end of the day what we're talking about is governance of the sport as a whole. Getting active over one potential buyer doesn't really change that dynamic and it seems odd for a lot of the fans of this club to seemingly have already forgot that considering it's recent past.

You don't have to agree, and that's fine. But I'll tell you if I think you're wrong, and I've told you why.

Football is a global sport, despite what MLS or NBA or whatever else US sporting franchise might have the world believe. Football clubs arose from communities, and ultimately they have built a global community. It's thanks to fans all over the world that Hicks and Gillette were driven from Liverpool FC. I believe the same holds true here.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6836 on: November 25, 2022, 12:47:56 am »
You don't have to agree, and that's fine. But I'll tell you if I think you're wrong, and I've told you why.

Football is a global sport, despite what MLS or NBA or whatever else US sporting franchise might have the world believe. Football clubs arose from communities, and ultimately they have built a global community. It's thanks to fans all over the world that Hicks and Gillette were driven from Liverpool FC. I believe the same holds true here.

You're kind of proving my point though. Nothing has changed since H&G except we got lucky in that FSG weren't as bad. Boycott, protest, burn shit down, whatever but ultimately change is only going to happen when those in power or those we elect to be in power do something. And honestly there is so much wrong in the world that deserve those things that for me at least LFC having shitty owners isn't really high up on the list. That doesn't mean I want MbS rocking up to Anfield, just I can only handle so much awfulness and need my outlet somewhere.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #6837 on: November 25, 2022, 12:53:11 am »
I don't know about anyone else but this year feels like a watershed moment in football.

• City winning yet again then signing Haaland on £900k a week, because no-one could really stop them could they
  • Newcastle and Saudi
  • Qatar, corruption, lies, repression and deaths
  • The ESL
  • Saudi's chasing us and United
  • Exposure of the Russian Oligarchs and their power and influence with Abramovich (and Uzzi) being removed
  • Klopp signing a contract but signalling the end really as well
  • Ronaldo and his shite, Galactico power
It just feels like football is on a precipice, its soaked in money on a never ending spiral of wages and spending and had reached the point and popularity where the only step left was to chase the rampant amount of Oil money still swishing around.

Human rights, sport, tradition, principle, all slowly being squeezed out by cash.

It just feels like this is going in one direction. Maybe FSG will be principled enough, possibly in the face of the inevitable mass protests that the Geordies failed to make, to keep Liverpool relatively clear of all this. We need to recognise that we would still be swimming alongside all the shite that is going on unchecked alongside us in the game.

I hope I am wrong because football (LFC really) has given me so many great moments that I don't think watching Tranmere can substitute for.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6838 on: November 25, 2022, 12:58:59 am »
The moment this club is sold to some blood wringing sportswashing putrid lot is the time I stop supporting the club. Until then, I would always fight against them to ensure the club is put in the hands of moral and capable custodians.

And screw the shit for brains idiots and their 'whataboutery' arguments that it wouldn't be any different from FSG. There's levels of degrees here, and while FSG are no saints, they are not cold blooded murderers.  It terrifies me that some would be happy with that lot as owners.

Is anyone else seriously worried about the future of the club and its owners? Are Spirit of Shankly going to wield any influence here? I feel this needs some serious intervention from fans ala 2010 and the pressure we put on the banks over Hicks and Gillett.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6839 on: November 25, 2022, 01:05:16 am »
Uncertainty reigns at Liverpool with Julian Ward and head of data on way out

James Pearce
Nov 24, 2022

Stability and continuity at Liverpool have been replaced by upheaval and uncertainty.

Just weeks after American owners Fenway Sports Group put the club up for sale, sporting director Julian Ward has informed them that he intends to step down at the end of the season. To say the news was greeted with shock in Boston would be something of an understatement.

It was only six months ago that Ward officially took over following Michael Edwards’ departure after six years at the helm. Throughout last season, there had been a gradual handover of responsibilities.

They were huge boots to fill given Edwards’ outstanding record in the transfer market but Ward had long been groomed as his successor having impressed FSG president Mike Gordon in his role as loan pathways and football partnerships manager. He was promoted to assistant sporting director in December 2020. The transition was supposed to be seamless and an appointment for the long term.

“Julian’s elevation is wholly in keeping with what I believe to be a key factor of the ‘Liverpool Way’, with promotion from within ensuring expertise, experience and institutional knowledge are cherished in the way that they should be,” Edwards wrote in his goodbye letter.

Yet after just one season in charge, Ward will walk away in May. The 41-year-old has assured the Anfield hierarchy he doesn’t have another job lined up and intends to take a break from football and spend more time with his young family. The owners tried to persuade him to reconsider but his mind was made up.

As FSG continues to consider offers from around the globe for a minority stake and a complete takeover of an asset valued at more than £3billion ($3.6bn), the search starts for a new sporting director.

To add to the disruption, another key figure will leave Anfield next summer. Director of research Ian Graham, who runs the club’s lauded data science unit that makes such a big contribution to recruitment, is working his notice after a decade of service.

Ward’s rise to one of the most prominent roles in European football was remarkable. In under seven years, he went from being Liverpool’s scouting manager for Spain and Portugal to sporting director.

For a man born in the Aintree area of the city who grew up in Cumbria and then returned home to study at Liverpool John Moores University, it was a source of immense pride. He had come a long way since his days combining playing non-League football with working as a consultant for data company Prozone. He initially joined Liverpool from Manchester City in 2012. Like Edwards before him, he has always kept a low profile and shuns the limelight.

So why walk away from Anfield? The reality is that it is no longer the same job with the same chain of command he signed up for.

The ownership is expected to change hands in 2023 and, crucially, Gordon has taken a step back from running the club day-to-day to oversee the sale. It is understood that influenced Ward’s decision given the close working relationship he has with Gordon.

Chief executive Billy Hogan has recently taken on greater responsibilities and the process of replacing Ward will be led by Hogan and manager Jurgen Klopp.

Klopp is under contract until 2026 and has reassured supporters that he will not be going anywhere regardless of whether FSG sells up. That is a source of comfort during a period of such turbulence.

Senior club sources, who describe Ward’s decision as “unexpected and disappointing”, say Hogan and Klopp will evaluate in the coming weeks what is the best model to support the football operations team going forward. Head of recruitment Dave Fallows and chief scout Barry Hunter will remain in place. They are highly regarded internally but an external appointment is most likely.

Ward was publicly praised by Klopp for his work in helping to ensure Liverpool beat Tottenham Hotspur to the signing of Luis Diaz, who cost £50million from Porto in January. His contacts in Portugal came to the fore once again when Liverpool signed Darwin Nunez from Benfica this summer. The fee for the Uruguay international could rise to a club record £85million.

He completed transfers for Fabio Carvalho and Calvin Ramsay, sold Sadio Mane to Bayern Munich and ended the uncertainty over Mohamed Salah’s future as the Egyptian penned a new contract worth more than £350,000 per week.

It has not all been plain sailing. Liverpool were dealing with a midfield injury crisis in August and FSG was reluctant to commit significant funds, so Ward ended up signing Juventus’ Arthur on loan on deadline day as a stop-gap. The Brazilian wasn’t fully fit when he arrived and played just 13 minutes of first-team football before undergoing surgery after tearing a thigh muscle in training.

It is harder to make FSG’s self-sustaining business model work effectively when you cannot raise significant funds from selling unwanted fringe stars.

Klopp has always had the final say on signings but he has become increasingly influential when it comes to transfer policy and contract extensions. It was Klopp who pushed hard for Nunez after analysing Benfica’s games before April’s Champions League quarter-final tie.

Despite his impending exit, Liverpool insist Ward will stay in his post until the end of the season rather than being placed on gardening leave. Senior figures have vowed it is business as usual and argue it will not affect their transfer plans for January or next summer.

They point to Ward’s character and professional integrity as proof that he will continue to work tirelessly in the club’s best interests. There is confidence in the wider football operations team around him.

There is plenty of work to be done. Liverpool went into the mid-season break for the World Cup sitting sixth in the Premier League, seven points adrift of the top four, after a troubled start to the campaign.

The midfield department needs an extensive and costly revamp. Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and James Milner are all free agents next summer. By the start of next season, Jordan Henderson will be 33 and Thiago 32.

Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham is Liverpool’s top target but they face serious competition from Real Madrid, Manchester City and Manchester United. Missing out on Champions League qualification would scupper hopes of landing the England international, who is valued at more than £100million.

So much for succession planning. Ward, who is a popular figure, was supposed to be the man to oversee that rebuild but that responsibility will now fall to someone else.

It is a period of great change at Liverpool. Uncertainty reigns.

https://theathletic.com/3932915/2022/11/24/liverpool-julian-ward-fsg/

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 01:08:42 am by HardworkDedication »