Author Topic: FSG discussion thread  (Read 744349 times)

Online carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FSG discussion thread
« Reply #6240 on: November 21, 2022, 06:05:48 am »
🚨 NEW: Chairman of League one club Peterborough United, Darragh MacAnthony believes FSG have decided to cash in on Liverpool due to not wanting to oversee a significant outlay in the midfield department.

MacAnthony: “No surprise, no shock. At the end of the day, if you're the owner of Liverpool, you're looking at a midfield that's going to cost £200-250 million to fix because you've let these windows go and let these players age - and you haven't replenished in those areas.

“What would three centre-midfielders for Liverpool, who want to be in the Champions League and competing for titles, cost nowadays? Seventy-to-eighty million? To get proper ones, you want Declan Rice, you want Bellingham and whoever else.

“Fenway, to be fair to them, maybe they're just being honest and are saying we need help so we sell a percentage of the club, we get some bigger money people in and can go and do that." #LFC [liverpool echo]

Even another chairman says we need to spend big because we haven’t replenished in an ageing midfield, what would he know he only owns a little club.

I mean this guy is only stating the obvious but Klopp doesn't need £200-£250m just for the midfield ... he's not Pep Guardiola or Jose Mourinho.

Klopp's been given approx £25m each year towards transfers for the last 4 years and still kept us competing on all fronts. 

Mental to think that his only two big signings that haven't been an unqualified success are Ox and Naby.. and that's down to injuries.  The guy is a damn magician and we need him to be backed asap.  I'm sure FSG would like to largely stay out of the transfer market before the sale, but it would mean they're only another injury crisis away from having the £4b or whatever value impacted.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6241 on: November 21, 2022, 07:21:34 am »
All your squad list shows Mac is we probably need to spend a lot of money.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #6242 on: November 21, 2022, 07:42:07 am »
All your squad list shows Mac is we probably need to spend a lot of money.

It doesn't.

Vitinha cost 36 million. Caicedo cost peanuts.

Buying the obvious for 100 million is not the only way to go about it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 07:44:57 am by "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan! »
Phuk yoo

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6243 on: November 21, 2022, 07:48:19 am »
It doesn't.

Vitinha cost 36 million. Caicedo cost peanuts.

Buying the obvious for 100 million is not the only way to go about it.

I said a lot of money not £250m. We dont need the likes of Bellingham for £120m, thats what puts us in that range and beyond. But looking at that squad I think we need at least 4 players and possibly 5. Even at £30-40m each, thats a lot of money and well outside what is likely we could afford to spend in one summer, hence why even next season could be a transition season.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #6244 on: November 21, 2022, 08:00:11 am »
I said a lot of money not £250m. We dont need the likes of Bellingham for £120m, thats what puts us in that range and beyond. But looking at that squad I think we need at least 4 players and possibly 5. Even at £30-40m each, thats a lot of money and well outside what is likely we could afford to spend in one summer, hence why even next season could be a transition season.

For me we need one or two CMs and one CB. We don't need fullbacks or forwards.

If we are smart about our scouting, we will not need more than 100 odd million for a full overhaul.

Phuk yoo

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #6245 on: November 21, 2022, 09:29:06 am »
To be fair the goalpost is being moved by both Al and keyop. It’s just the same arguments on repeat really.

Keyop// why should the top 1-5th team on consistent basis have one of the lowest net spends? Yeah sure it’s a gross over simplification but right now we do have a surplus of ageing players and the manager himself (who’s fiercely loyal) have gone out to the press to talk about the issue.

But you don’t agree with Jurgen?

However it is a shit situation as to compete we have to spend more but I’m not eager for that behaviour to arrive here too. Not the realisation that you probably will need a shitty owner to afford it.
Because it's not a true reflection of reality.

I couldn't care less where we are on a Forbes list, spending list, or any other list, provided we stay competitive and true to our values. There seems to be an obsession from some with the 'Top 20 spenders in Europe', or the 'Top 20 spenders in the Premier league'.

If you have a low net spend but are also winning trophies, developing infrastructure (that will benefit the club forever), paying good wages, bringing young players through, and yet still be able to buy players of the calibre of Diaz and Nunez, then I don't understand the continual reference to net spend (or who's spent more than us).

Last time I checked, we were competing for the Premier League and 3 cups - not for a place on some dick-swinging league table that doesn't take into account any context whatsoever (like wages, contracts, sponsorship, commercial revenue, infrastructure, debt, where the money's actually coming from, and all the other business basics). The only team we've been competing with for 5 seasons now is City - and they're cheating. In those 5 seasons we've missed out on the title by a point (twice), almost won the quadruple, been to 3 CL finals, won the title, won the CL, won the FA cup, and won the League cup.

We can speculate all we like about how an extra £50m player here or there would've made all the difference, but even that doesn't factor in a whole ton of other variables like our massive injury problems, players not delivering on the pitch (but still under contract), or refereeing decisions that robbed us of points (and possibly titles). Oh, plus the small fact that after spending over £1.5billion on players, City can just go out and pay Haaland £900,000 a week (whilst getting him for 'only' £51m). Any player that doesn't sign for us is very often viewed as 'The one that would've made the difference if only we'd spent more', yet you only have to look at signings like Keita (the perfect Klopp player and ready to become one of the best in Europe) to realise it's not that straightforward. Plus take a look at the list of the most expensive signings of all time, which clearly shows that big money signings are failures more often than not. Or simply look at Utd and Barca.

We're often compared to other clubs for our lack of spending, yet that's partly because we've done so well in getting players for free or via the academy (Milner, Matip, Trent and Jones), or very cheap (Robbo, Gomez, Tsimikas, Elliot, Carvalho), or loads of players in the £20-£40m bracket (Mo, Gini, Mane, Bobby, Thiago, Konate, Jota and Ox). We've then spent big when we needed to (£50m+) on Virgil, Alisson, Fabinho, Keita, Diaz and Nunez, plus we've consistently got great fees for players we sold. That is how we've built a squad in this apparent 'FFP' landscape - even though that landscape has proven to be a mirage. It's also the environment Jurgen has thrived in throughout his career, where his ability to make good players great is almost unrivaled, and coaching has been the difference maker. We were also doing it before Jurgen arrived with players like Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge and Sterling, so it's an approach we've taken under more than one manager. It's so easy for people to say who we should and shouldn't have bought (and what we should and shouldn't have spent), but there's no guarantees in football (unless you're City and PSG, and even they can't win a CL after a decade of cheating).

The last 5-6 years have been amazing, and I simply cannot understand some the relentless criticism of the owners, scapegoating of players, whining about club/transfer decisions, and the seemingly endless comparisons to how much others spend. There are so many things to simply sit back and enjoy, and there is so much more that we've got right than we've got wrong.

Instead of people posting tables of who's spent the most (and using it as a stick to beat us with), one thing that might finally put the argument to bed (although I doubt it) would be a definitive table that looked at all the factors - revenue, wages, transfer spend, debt (including interest payments), infrastructure spend, average position in the league, and all the other factors that would give a truer representation of why clubs spend (or don't spend). For example - comparing us to clubs like Forest or Fulham is pointless, as promoted clubs often spend loads because they've had a sudden windfall, and need to compete in the new league and stay up. Comparing us to Utd is pointless as they've won nothing for years, wasted over a £billion on transfers and wages, are in massive debt and are all over the place. Comparing us to City is pointless as they're cheating. Comparing us to Chelsea is pointless because of Abramovic (and the recent £800m of restructured debt taken on by Boehly and Co). Even comparisons to Arsenal and Spurs are pretty pointless, as Arsenal are only spending now after winning virtually nothing for years due to the stadium debt hampering their transfer activity for over a decade. Spurs' net spend is less than ours anyway - and is likely to stay that way due to the £1billion shiny cheese factory they've built (complete with empty trophy room).

Even across Europe I can't think of many teams that have been as consistently good as us domestically or in the CL, whilst also following FFP, plus developing the stadium, building a new training ground, extending all the contracts for our best players, increasing wages, growing commercial revenues, and bringing young players though - all whilst keeping debt to an absolute minimum, never putting the club at risk, and competing against the biggest cheats in the history of the sport. Perhaps that's not enough of an achievement for some people - but it is for me, and I think the list of possible bad owners is far longer than the list of possible good ones.

Perhaps we could've spent another £200m on players and still have a stadium capacity of 45,000, instead of one that will be over 61,000 next season. Or still be at Melwood instead of a world class facility where the academy and first team are closer together. Or taken on £200m to £300m more debt for players and wages - like dozens of other clubs did throughout Europe between 2020 and 2022, to win absolutely nothing or almost go bankrupt.

What purpose do these spending comparisons actually serve anyway? What point is actually being made - regardless of whether we're 1st, 10th or 30th in the European spending league? Who cares if clubs like Utd, Palace, Everton, West Ham, Brighton, Wolves, Inter, Wolfsburg, RB Leipzig, Milan, Leeds, Villa, Chelsea, Napoli, Newcastle or Leicester had a higher net spend than us over the last 10 years? It's clearly a barometer of fuck all considering how little the majority of the top 30 spenders have won over that period, and the poor state that some of the clubs are in.

Even during the last 2-3 years (which is painted by some as the start of the LFC apocalypse in terms of spending), we've won the title, the CL, the FA cup, the League Cup, and we almost won the quadruple only 5 months ago. History shows that apart from the cheats, no club just keeps on spending, no club just keeps on winning (ok, maybe Bayern...), and no club gets it right all the time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:16:55 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6246 on: November 21, 2022, 09:53:36 am »
🚨 NEW: Chairman of League one club Peterborough United, Darragh MacAnthony believes FSG have decided to cash in on Liverpool due to not wanting to oversee a significant outlay in the midfield department.

MacAnthony: “No surprise, no shock. At the end of the day, if you're the owner of Liverpool, you're looking at a midfield that's going to cost £200-250 million to fix because you've let these windows go and let these players age - and you haven't replenished in those areas.

“What would three centre-midfielders for Liverpool, who want to be in the Champions League and competing for titles, cost nowadays? Seventy-to-eighty million? To get proper ones, you want Declan Rice, you want Bellingham and whoever else.

“Fenway, to be fair to them, maybe they're just being honest and are saying we need help so we sell a percentage of the club, we get some bigger money people in and can go and do that." #LFC [liverpool echo]

Even another chairman says we need to spend big because we haven’t replenished in an ageing midfield, what would he know he only owns a little club.

I'm surprised at how controversial people are taking this statement. You can argue over the precise sum of money, it might be £150m, £200m or £250m, but I think everything he says is spot on. I do think if FSG were to stay, there is no chance we get "two Bellinghams", ie the likes of Rice AND Bellingham, but I think one of that sort of calibre for sure and then they will try to get the likes of Moises Caceido.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6247 on: November 21, 2022, 09:54:45 am »

We don’t need £200 to £250 million to sort out midfield. That would be the case if buying Bellingham etc but the likes of Napoli sorted out midfield without spending that amount. We may need to be ruthless and sell some players who are going to wain and replace them. We have a lot of midfield players and seem to cling onto them instead of releasing those who aren’t first team players.
I was just going to make the same point. Some fucking chairman bandies an arbitrary figure around and for some it becomes the truth.

There will be players around that can supply the energy that we need that won't cost huge £, we may well supplement that sort of signing with proven quality, but we won't be paying top £ for all the players we bring in - we never have done in the past.

I thought the whole point of scouting was to seek out value, rather than paying top dollar all the time, but people in the game seem to forget this.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6248 on: November 21, 2022, 10:03:12 am »
I was just going to make the same point. Some fucking chairman bandies an arbitrary figure around and for some it becomes the truth.

There will be players around that can supply the energy that we need that won't cost huge £, we may well supplement that sort of signing with proven quality, but we won't be paying top £ for all the players we bring in - we never have done in the past.

I thought the whole point of scouting was to seek out value, rather than paying top dollar all the time, but people in the game seem to forget this.

Yep, but there is some mad Bellingham following.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6249 on: November 21, 2022, 10:03:38 am »
No point spending shitloads of money if you don't spend it well. Perfect example below post Fergie, what did this get them, an FA Cup and a Europa Leage. The frees count too as those players weren't being paid peanuts

2013/14
TRANSFERS IN:

Marouane Fellaini: £27.5m
Juan Mata: £37.1m
Guillermo Varela: £2.4m
Saidy Janko: £700,000

2014/15
TRANSFERS IN:

Angel di Maria: £59.7m
Ander Herrera: £29m
Luke Shaw: £27m
Marcos Rojo: £16m
Daley Blind: £13.8m
Radamel Falcao: Loan
Victor Valdes: Free
Sadiq El Fitouri: Free
Vanja Milinkovic: Undisclosed

2015/16
TRANSFERS IN:

Anthony Martial: £36m
Memphis Depay: £25m
Morgan Schneiderlin: £24m
Matteo Darmian: £12.7m
Bastian Schweinsteiger: £6.5m
Regan Poole: £400,000
Sergio Romero: Free

2016/17
TRANSFERS IN:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Free
Paul Pogba: £89m
Eric Bailly: £30m
Henrikh Mkhitaryan: £30m

2017/18
TRANSFERS IN:

Romelu Lukaku: £75m
Nemanja Matic: £40m
Victor Lindelof: £31m
Alexis Sanchez: Swap

2018/19
TRANSFERS IN:

Fred: £47m
Diogo Dalot: £19m
Lee Grant: Free

2019/20
TRANSFERS IN:

Harry Maguire: £80m
Aaron Wan-Bissaka: £50m
Dan James: £15m
Bruno Fernandes: £47m
Hannibal Mejbri: £9m
Odion Ighalo: Loan

2020/21
TRANSFERS IN:

Donny van de Beek: £35m
Alex Telles: £13m
Amad: £19m
Facundo Pellistri: £7m
Edinson Cavani: Free
Willy Kambwala: £3m

2021/22
TRANSFERS IN:

Cristiano Ronaldo: £12.8m
Jadon Sancho: £73m
Raphael Varane: £34m
Tom Heaton: Free

2022/23
TRANSFERS IN:

Tyrell Malacia: £13m
Lisandro Martinez: £46m
Christian Eriksen: Free
Casemiro: £60m
Antony: £81m
Martin Dubravka: Loan

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/transfer-talk/manchester-united-transfer-history-from-2013-to-present/

That Peterborough chairman is chatting shite. With the way we work, we are well proven in getting players that aren't big names and turning them into world beaters. Klopp and his team are well capable of spending £100 to £150 million and getting the exact palyers we need. Next two windows are big though, as we do need to get that midfield sorted out.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6250 on: November 21, 2022, 10:17:31 am »
^ This is what drives me mad from people obsessed with the amount spent. To be clear, I'm not saying that the midfield doesn't need attention, but I've seen people either putting figures on it, as the Peterborough chairman did. Or looking at net spend, which as has been done to death, can be distorted by big sales, or more significantly, getting good prices for unwanted players.

Surely what we actually need are extra bodies in midfield, so that we can play how Klopp wants, and the right cost is what we end up spending to get the numbers and quality we need.

Utd have spent shitloads, but ultimately it wasn't enough, because in general they overpaid for the wrong players. If we went out and bought 3 x £100m players, the transfer junkies would be made up, but if any of them failed, the spend would be forgotten and they'd be shouting for more.

That's why I'd love to see how we would fare when the capex has been paid off, we should be in a position to support a competitive wage bill and be able to buy what's needed. Notice the word needed. Not flavour of the month, but what we actually need.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6251 on: November 21, 2022, 10:25:18 am »
What has United spending a lot badly got to do with us or our ownership?
Unless the Glaziers are buying us and installing their shit show of an executive it’s not relevant - clearly we’d get a different result of our recruitment team had a bigger budget 
We probably don’t need to argue over the fact that generally speaking having more money makes you better - Newcastle didn’t discover great coaching 12 months ago, City didn’t 14 years ago

Fwiw 200 million net is a pretty decent guess of the capital investment the squad needs over the next two years to keep competing at the top
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 10:26:54 am by JackWard33 »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6252 on: November 21, 2022, 10:42:57 am »
What has United spending a lot badly got to do with us or our ownership?
Unless the Glaziers are buying us and installing their shit show of an executive it’s not relevant - clearly we’d get a different result of our recruitment team had a bigger budget 
We probably don’t need to argue over the fact that generally speaking having more money makes you better - Newcastle didn’t discover great coaching 12 months ago, City didn’t 14 years ago

Fwiw 200 million net is a pretty decent guess of the capital investment the squad needs over the next two years to keep competing at the top
It's pretty obvious. That it's easy to spend money badly and transfers, no matter how well or badly scouted may not deliver the value that was hoped for.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6253 on: November 21, 2022, 10:46:49 am »
I don't think it's a particularly outrageous assumption to make that we would have been a hell of a lot better than Man Utd have been, if we invested the kind of sums of money they have the past decade.

With our recruitment team being one of the best in the business and the way we analyse a signing to the nth degree before getting them, we wouldn't have a list of flops like the Mancs have, that's for sure.

Klopp's worked wonders with a lot less so I don't think it's crazy to think he would have only improved us with more investment.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6254 on: November 21, 2022, 10:49:07 am »
Because it's not a true reflection of reality.

I couldn't care less where we are on a Forbes list, spending list, or any other list, provided we stay competitive and true to our values. There seems to be an obsession from some with the 'Top 20 spenders in Europe', or the 'Top 20 spenders in the Premier league'.

If you have a low net spend but are also winning trophies, developing infrastructure (that will benefit the club forever), bringing young players through, and yet still be able to buy players of the calibre of Diaz and Nunez, then I don't understand the continual reference to net spend (or who's spent more than us).

Last time I checked, we were competing for the Premier League and 3 cups - not for a place on some dick-swinging league table that doesn't take into account any context whatsoever (like wages, contracts, sponsorship, commercial revenue, infrastructure, debt, where the money's actually coming from, and all the other business basics). The only team we've been competing with for 5 seasons now is City - and they're cheating. In those 5 seasons we've missed out on the title by a point (twice), almost won the quadruple, been to 3 CL finals, won the title, won the CL, won the FA cup, and won the League cup.

We can speculate all we like about how an extra £50m player here or there would've made all the difference, but even that doesn't factor in a whole ton of other variables like our massive injury problems, players not delivering on the pitch (but still under contract), or refereeing decisions that robbed us of points (and possibly titles). Oh, plus the small fact that after spending over £1.5billion on players, City can just go out and pay Haaland £900,000 a week (whilst getting him for 'only' £51m). Any player that doesn't sign for us is very often viewed as 'The one that would've made the difference if only we'd spent more', yet you only have to look at signings like Keita (the perfect Klopp player and ready to become one of the best in Europe) to realise it's not that straightforward. Plus take a look at the list of the most expensive signings of all time, which clearly shows that big money signings are failures more often than not. Or simply look at Utd and Barca.

We're often compared to other clubs for our lack of spending, yet that's partly because we've done so well in getting players for free or via the academy (Milner, Matip, Trent and Jones), or very cheap (Robbo, Gomez, Tsimikas, Elliot, Carvalho), or loads of players in the £20-£40m bracket (Mo, Gini, Mane, Bobby, Thiago, Konate, Jota and Ox). We've then spent big when we needed to (£50m+) on Virgil, Alisson, Fabinho, Keita, Diaz and Nunez, plus we've consistently got great fees for players we sold. That is how we've built a squad in this apparent 'FFP' landscape - even though that landscape has proven to be a mirage. It's also the environment Jurgen has thrived in throughout his career, where his ability to make good players great is almost unrivaled, and coaching has been the difference maker. We were also doing it before Jurgen arrived with players like Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge and Sterling, so it's an approach we've taken under more than one manager. It's so easy for people to say who we should and shouldn't have bought (and what we should and shouldn't have spent), but there's no guarantees in football (unless you're City and PSG, and even they can't win a CL after a decade of cheating).

The last 5-6 years have been amazing, and I simply cannot understand some the relentless criticism of the owners, scapegoating of players, whining about club/transfer decisions, and the seemingly endless comparisons to how much others spend. There are so many things to simply sit back and enjoy, and there is so much more that we've got right than we've got wrong.

Instead of people posting tables of who's spent the most (and using it as a stick to beat us with), one thing that might finally put the argument to bed (although I doubt it) would be a definitive table that looked at all the factors - revenue, wages, transfer spend, debt (including interest payments), infrastructure spend, average position in the league, and all the other factors that would give a truer representation of why clubs spend (or don't spend). For example - comparing us to clubs like Forest or Fulham is pointless, as promoted clubs often spend loads because they've had a sudden windfall, and need to compete in the new league and stay up. Comparing us to Utd is pointless as they've won nothing for years, wasted over a £billion on transfers and wages, are in massive debt and are all over the place. Comparing us to City is pointless as they're cheating. Comparing us to Chelsea is pointless because of Abramovic (and the recent £800m of restructured debt taken on by Boehly and Co). Even comparisons to Arsenal and Spurs are pretty pointless, as Arsenal are only spending now after winning virtually nothing for years due to the stadium debt hampering their transfer activity for over a decade. Spurs' net spend is less than ours anyway - and is likely to stay that way due to the £1billion shiny cheese factory they've built (complete with empty trophy room).

Even across Europe I can't think of many teams that have been as consistently good as us domestically or in the CL, whilst also following FFP, plus developing the stadium, building a new training ground, extending all the contracts for our best players, increasing wages, growing commercial revenues, and bringing young players though - all whilst keeping debt to an absolute minimum, never putting the club at risk, and competing against the biggest cheats in the history of the sport. Perhaps that's not enough of an achievement for some people - but it is for me, and I think the list of possible bad owners is far longer than the list of possible good ones.

Perhaps we could've spent another £200m on players and still have a stadium capacity of 45,000, instead of one that will be over 61,000 next season. Or still be at Melwood instead of a world class facility where the academy and first team are closer together. Or taken on £200m to £300m more debt for players and wages - like dozens of other clubs did throughout Europe between 2020 and 2022, to win absolutely nothing or almost go bankrupt.

What purpose do these spending comparisons actually serve anyway? What point is actually being made - regardless of whether we're 1st, 10th or 30th in the European spending league? Who cares if clubs like Utd, Palace, Everton, West Ham, Brighton, Wolves, Inter, Wolfsburg, RB Leipzig, Milan, Leeds, Villa, Chelsea, Napoli, Newcastle or Leicester had a higher net spend than us over the last 10 years? It's clearly a barometer of fuck all considering how little the majority of the top 30 spenders have won over that period, and the poor state that some of the clubs are in.

Even during the last 2-3 years (which is painted by some as the start of the LFC apocalypse in terms of spending), we've won the title, the CL, the FA cup, the League Cup, and we almost won the quadruple only 5 months ago. History shows that apart from the cheats, no club just keeps on spending, no club just keeps on winning (ok, maybe Bayern...), and no club gets it right all the time.

Now it's not a short read to get through with your replies, so bear with me if I've missed some points.

Did I ask, or imply that the goal was to get on a Forbes highest spending   list? No.

However there is of course a correlation between spendings and success, you could say that an overall be correct on a superficial level. Then when you dig deeper academy/youth production, manager, facilities, scouting system, training, player fitness and mentality, and many more factors comes into play.

I’d argue when you on a consistent basis fall far from the top spenders you put yourself into a situation that you need to overachieve on all, or many other factors. That’s now, if on a superficial basis a fair assessment I’d say.
Even Klopp agrees that the club, and him should take more risks, and ‘do more’ in the transfer market. There’s no toy was about it.

And yes we’ve done extremely well trophy wise, but I’d argue we could have done even more with the right backing (without going overboard a la City/Barcelona).
I’d argue the key would have been to acted more decisively and stronger when you’re at the top. As it would have been cheaper to stay at the top than to get back to it (cost retention vs acquisition).

Overall if it feels like you are going back into your go-to arguments and talking about the same points on repeat. Now I might be doing the same things myself from time to time on this discussion.

But this discussion for me needs to be more on what’s between the two extremes. More on how to; act from a position of strength, capitalise on club/brand attraction, take some/more calculated risks, avoid geting into a situation where a big part of your first team players are over 30, etc. I’m talking about those 10-20% tweaks to our sometimes rigid approach to transfer outlays.

No one is saying we should buy 30 new players like Nottingham Forrest, spend £200m on players a season instead of investing in our facilities, stadium expansion, go super big and risk going bankrupt.

I’d say no one on here is talking about that, until you bring that up in your replies.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6255 on: November 21, 2022, 10:49:08 am »
I don't think it's a particularly outrageous assumption to make that we would have been a hell of a lot better than Man Utd have been, if we invested the kind of sums of money they have the past decade.

With our recruitment team being one of the best in the business and the way we analyse a signing to the nth degree before getting them, we wouldn't have a list of flops like the Mancs have, that's for sure.

Klopp's worked wonders with a lot less so I don't think it's crazy to think he would have only improved us with more investment.
We were anyway.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #6256 on: November 21, 2022, 10:51:22 am »
It's pretty obvious. That it's easy to spend money badly and transfers, no matter how well or badly scouted may not deliver the value that was hoped for.

Oh then its moot because its not easy its actually decently hard to do - that's why the correlation between wage bill and league position exists - its much easier to improve your on pitch performance through spending than degrade it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 10:53:32 am by JackWard33 »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6257 on: November 21, 2022, 11:01:33 am »
Oh then its moot because its not easy its actually decently hard to do - that's why the correlation between wage bill and league position exists - its much easier to improve your on pitch performance through spending than degrade it.
It's not clear what you mean, but arguably it's quite easy to spend money badly on transfers. Plenty of very recent examples too. Interesting you mention wages, because that's what we've invested a fair bit in. It also underpins the rationale for giving Firmino an extension too, because even just as a squad player, he's lower risk than buying a new player.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6258 on: November 21, 2022, 11:02:21 am »
I'm hoping for a quiet few windows, don't want any money spent as we saw how Pogba worked out for the Mancs.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #6259 on: November 21, 2022, 11:05:44 am »
Well, that is bullshit. We don't need to invest £200-250 million ...

Allison
Kelleher
Davies

Great, another bloody list.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #6260 on: November 21, 2022, 11:16:53 am »
Whys he an idiot?

He thinks he can still make a profit after spending £4b on a football club.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6261 on: November 21, 2022, 11:20:03 am »
Now it's not a short read to get through with your replies, so bear with me if I've missed some points.

Did I ask, or imply that the goal was to get on a Forbes highest spending   list? No.

However there is of course a correlation between spendings and success, you could say that an overall be correct on a superficial level. Then when you dig deeper academy/youth production, manager, facilities, scouting system, training, player fitness and mentality, and many more factors comes into play.

I’d argue when you on a consistent basis fall far from the top spenders you put yourself into a situation that you need to overachieve on all, or many other factors. That’s now, if on a superficial basis a fair assessment I’d say.
Even Klopp agrees that the club, and him should take more risks, and ‘do more’ in the transfer market. There’s no toy was about it.

And yes we’ve done extremely well trophy wise, but I’d argue we could have done even more with the right backing (without going overboard a la City/Barcelona).
I’d argue the key would have been to acted more decisively and stronger when you’re at the top. As it would have been cheaper to stay at the top than to get back to it (cost retention vs acquisition).

Overall if it feels like you are going back into your go-to arguments and talking about the same points on repeat. Now I might be doing the same things myself from time to time on this discussion.

But this discussion for me needs to be more on what’s between the two extremes. More on how to; act from a position of strength, capitalise on club/brand attraction, take some/more calculated risks, avoid geting into a situation where a big part of your first team players are over 30, etc. I’m talking about those 10-20% tweaks to our sometimes rigid approach to transfer outlays.

No one is saying we should buy 30 new players like Nottingham Forrest, spend £200m on players a season instead of investing in our facilities, stadium expansion, go super big and risk going bankrupt.

I’d say no one on here is talking about that, until you bring that up in your replies.
My post wasn't a reply just to you, so apologies if it came across that way (you mentioned my name hence why I responded). It was more a general comment about how the modern football world seems to be obsessed with spending and arbitrary league tables that don't correlate with the real world (or the tables that really matter). The endless references in this thread to us being worth £3billion as if it's somehow a barometer of how much we should spend are meaningless, as that's not money in the bank.

If by 'go to arguments', you're referring to my regular references to reality, spend, wages, infrastructure, injuries, cheating, revenues, debt, and other factors, then I make no apology whatsoever for raising them. I'd rather do that than live in a made up fantasy world like some on here (and on other threads), where its apparently so easy to buy the best players, easy to get rid of players under contract, easy to win the net spend league, easy to keep players, and easy to stay competitive whilst developing the club and infrastructure, without going into massive debt.

I've clearly set out why I don't think we invested as much as we'd have liked between 2020 and 2022, plus how and why our squad might have reached this point, and I've also set out the context and mitigating circumstances. If others disagree then that's fine with me - just saying what I see  :)

Edit - brevity is also not my strong point, but you've probably realised that by now...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 11:42:32 am by keyop »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6262 on: November 21, 2022, 11:20:36 am »
I'm hoping for a quiet few windows, don't want any money spent as we saw how Pogba worked out for the Mancs.

No one's saying that. All people have done has been pointing out that spending a given amount is no guarantee, that it's easy to spend money badly, and the futility of people saying "we need to spend x"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6263 on: November 21, 2022, 01:02:47 pm »
Barry Fry II seems to have plucked the £200-£250 million figure from his arse solely because he seems to think we should sign Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham and thats how much they'd probably cost between them.

Laimer, Aouar, Tielemans (Asam suggested he'd be a good alternative for Thiago) are all on a free in the summer. Considering our sweet spot is usually around £40-50 million, its not particularly outrageous to think we could overhaul the midfield with £100 million odd. The idea that FSG want out 'because they dont want to spend the £250 million it'll take to overhaul the midfield' is laughable, its such a nonsense statement so lord only knows why its being discussed when we could all be cheering on big Hazza K and the boys.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6264 on: November 21, 2022, 01:35:34 pm »
Barry Fry II seems to have plucked the £200-£250 million figure from his arse solely because he seems to think we should sign Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham and thats how much they'd probably cost between them.

Laimer, Aouar, Tielemans (Asam suggested he'd be a good alternative for Thiago) are all on a free in the summer. Considering our sweet spot is usually around £40-50 million, its not particularly outrageous to think we could overhaul the midfield with £100 million odd. The idea that FSG want out 'because they dont want to spend the £250 million it'll take to overhaul the midfield' is laughable, its such a nonsense statement so lord only knows why its being discussed when we could all be cheering on big Hazza K and the boys.
Lets just get all 3 and pay them Keita/Ox/Milner's wages.

Job done, midfield sorted, and all for zero net spend. That'll push us down to at least 35th on the European spending league next year  :D

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6265 on: November 21, 2022, 01:40:40 pm »
I'm glad the chairman of Peterborough has spoken up about FSG but I think the more pertinent question is, what has Ja Rule got to say about the situation?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6266 on: November 21, 2022, 01:56:46 pm »
Haha. Here he is.

That list just proves we probably will need to spend a fair bit of money to sort our midfield out.

Is this "a fair bit" £200-250 million?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6267 on: November 21, 2022, 01:58:25 pm »
Is this "a fair bit" £200-250 million?

Bellingham would cost £130m alone. Considering we need another midfielder as well, you are not far off.

Online carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6268 on: November 21, 2022, 02:22:51 pm »
I'm surprised at how controversial people are taking this statement. You can argue over the precise sum of money, it might be £150m, £200m or £250m, but I think everything he says is spot on. I do think if FSG were to stay, there is no chance we get "two Bellinghams", ie the likes of Rice AND Bellingham, but I think one of that sort of calibre for sure and then they will try to get the likes of Moises Caceido.

Indeed.  The figure is probably based on the ridiculous prices for England internationals but thankfully that is not our style.  I firmly believe a massive reason we have gone toe-to-toe with City and massively outperformed United is their propensity to massively overspend on England players.  It gives us a chance to make up ground with our much smaller budget.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6269 on: November 21, 2022, 02:27:33 pm »

Totally missed the point. Al is constantly whining about how much we have spent, so I posted the list of players Utd have bought since Fergie stepped down. In that time, they have massively outspent us and for that, they have an FA Cup and a Europa League win, while we have League Cup, FA Cup, Premier League, Champions League, Super Cup and Club World Cup to our name, while apparently spending the square root of fuck all.

One thing anyone crying about what we didn't spend is forgetting is that those signings might have changed history and for the worst. We could have brought players in who made mistakes and cost us games. Me, I'm happy with the last 10 or so years, we've had a fucking ball, Kenny came back and won another Trophy, Brendan gave us a mental, throughly enjoyable season and Jurgen has delivered everything we asked for and he'll continue to do this - so long as we don't end up with owners like Chelsea have got...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:29:18 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6270 on: November 21, 2022, 02:49:12 pm »
Bellingham would cost £130m alone. Considering we need another midfielder as well, you are not far off.

Considering that Dortmund sold your favorite player for £73 million, I doubt they will get double that for Bellingham ...

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6271 on: November 21, 2022, 03:01:34 pm »
Hopefully FSG buy Bellingham. New owners come in and fund other signings.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6272 on: November 21, 2022, 03:10:37 pm »
Totally missed the point. Al is constantly whining about how much we have spent, so I posted the list of players Utd have bought since Fergie stepped down. In that time, they have massively outspent us and for that, they have an FA Cup and a Europa League win, while we have League Cup, FA Cup, Premier League, Champions League, Super Cup and Club World Cup to our name, while apparently spending the square root of fuck all.

One thing anyone crying about what we didn't spend is forgetting is that those signings might have changed history and for the worst. We could have brought players in who made mistakes and cost us games. Me, I'm happy with the last 10 or so years, we've had a fucking ball, Kenny came back and won another Trophy, Brendan gave us a mental, throughly enjoyable season and Jurgen has delivered everything we asked for and he'll continue to do this - so long as we don't end up with owners like Chelsea have got...

Yeah I'm just not really arsed about them or using their mistakes to say "signings could make us worse" in regards to us. On one hand everyone screams how amazing our transfer team and manager is (rightly so) but then many of the same people also destroy anyone who wants us to use our amazing transfer team and manager to make a signing citing how wrong it could go coz United.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6273 on: November 21, 2022, 03:14:57 pm »
Considering that Dortmund sold your favorite player for £73 million, I doubt they will get double that for Bellingham ...

Well according to you Sancho was shite and Bellingham is amazing so why not?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #6274 on: November 21, 2022, 03:28:46 pm »
Sancho IS overrated. Thank fuck we didn't go for him.

Bellingham is good, but he will be expensive.

Rice for 100 mill is literally the worst signing we can make. Overrated as fuck.

I'd rather we find someone like Caicedo for less 30-40 million.

You don't need scouts to 'identify' a Bellingham or Rice.

Again, PSG got Vitinha for less than 35 mill. He is brilliant, basically a young Thiago.

Our transfer strategy cannot be to go for players wanted by the biggest clubs for insane fees. That is viable for the likes of City, not us. Even City got the best deep lying playmaker in the top 5 leagues in Europe for less than 70 mill.

Spunking a cool 100 million on Bellingham or Rice (god forbid) is not the best approach for a club looking to function in a financially sustainable manner.

Phuk yoo

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6275 on: November 21, 2022, 03:30:38 pm »

Rice for 100 mill is literally the worst signing we can make. Overrated as fuck.

Again, PSG got Vitinha for less than 35 mill. He is brilliant, basically a young Thiago.

Our transfer strategy cannot be to go for players wanted by the biggest clubs for insane fees. That is viable for the likes of City, not us. Even City got the best deep lying playmaker in the top 5 leagues in Europe for less than 70 mill.

Spunking a cool 100 million on Bellingham or Rice (god forbid) is not the best approach for a club looking to function in a financially sustainable manner.

Yep, absolutely. Crazy thing is the media has set up a position where no Bellingham = FSG criticism.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #6276 on: November 21, 2022, 03:33:09 pm »
Yep, absolutely. Crazy thing is the media has set up a position where no Bellingham = FSG criticism.

If we get him, we will have little left for other signings.
Phuk yoo

Online Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6277 on: November 21, 2022, 03:36:05 pm »

You can forget caicedo for £30-£40 mil, Brighton have apparently already priced him
At £85mil.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #6278 on: November 21, 2022, 03:43:12 pm »
You can forget caicedo for £30-£40 mil, Brighton have apparently already priced him
At £85mil.

Well I am sure there are other good young CMs in the Spanish, German, Italian, French, Portuguese and Dutch leagues who haven't become high profile yet.

Our scouts need to earn their salaries.
Phuk yoo

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6279 on: November 21, 2022, 04:34:50 pm »

Ironically it is the favoured journalists who are running with the Bellingham line.
"Ohhh-kayyy"