Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4129500 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #60640 on: August 13, 2019, 11:53:34 am »
Lad's how bout a Rawk boxing thread meat up in Saudi?  ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60641 on: August 13, 2019, 01:18:26 pm »
Official promo material and the title of the bout.  ;D

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #60642 on: August 13, 2019, 01:38:55 pm »
Official promo material and the title of the bout.  ;D

Clash on the fucking Dunes  :lmao :lmao :lmao

Right up there with Thrilla in Manila and Rumble in the Jungle.  ;D

Wank name for a fight in a wank location.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60643 on: August 13, 2019, 03:35:26 pm »
I would have gone to this if it was in Cardiff. Would have bought the ppv and had the lads round if it was anywhere else.

Fuck this though. I'll be on here looking for a stream on fight night.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60644 on: August 13, 2019, 03:39:28 pm »
I would have gone to this if it was in Cardiff. Would have bought the ppv and had the lads round if it was anywhere else.

Fuck this though. I'll be on here looking for a stream on fight night.
Same.

The tone of that IFL interview is a joke too. Patronising and full of shit. Hope he gets flat lined.
cyas

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #60645 on: August 14, 2019, 03:20:39 pm »
Andy Ruiz is meant to have done an interview saying the rematch will take place on his terms and it won’t be taking place in Saudi & he wants it in the US.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60646 on: August 14, 2019, 03:22:16 pm »
Andy Ruiz is meant to have done an interview saying the rematch will take place on his terms and it won’t be taking place in Saudi & he wants it in the US.
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1161570571160887296?s=20

I'm not too sure it does take place on his terms when he's signed a rematch clause, but it does look like EH has gone early on this..
cyas

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60647 on: August 14, 2019, 05:26:33 pm »
Yeah what's that all about, has he signed or hasn't he? Hearn needs to cut the bullshit. I hope Ruiz sticks to his guns and takes this fight to USA or better yet, Mexico City. If he does, I know who I'll be cheering on in the rematch.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60648 on: August 14, 2019, 05:50:16 pm »
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1161570571160887296?s=20

I'm not too sure it does take place on his terms when he's signed a rematch clause, but it does look like EH has gone early on this..

Depends could pull out and rearrange the rematch. Depends what's in the contract.

Rematch happens but did it state it had to be in a certain location?

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60649 on: August 15, 2019, 10:20:05 am »
I do wonder if it suits both parties if the rematch doesn’t happen.

There are mandatory obligations with both the IBF & WBO that will make it difficult for the winner to hang onto all 3 belts. AJ has no guarantee he’ll win the rematch, while no doubt Ruiz has had the carrot of fighting Wilder dangled in front of him by Al Haymon.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60650 on: August 15, 2019, 12:23:55 pm »
The pudding want's more money that's all.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60651 on: August 15, 2019, 09:01:57 pm »
So Joshua thinks Lennox Lewis is a clown? I doubt he'd have gone 2 rounds

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60652 on: August 15, 2019, 09:08:52 pm »
Yeah Lewis would probably beat Joshua right now.

Lewis has been talking shit about Joshua for years though. There's some weird beef there but I think it's just because Lewis works for Haymon.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60653 on: August 16, 2019, 03:01:14 pm »
Anyone know what time the fight would be UK time?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60654 on: August 16, 2019, 03:21:02 pm »
Anyone know what time the fight would be UK time?

They're only 2 hours in front so I assume it would be around 8pm UK time.

For some reason I seem to remember Smith v Groves out there being a lot earlier than 8pm. But I may have just been watching the undercard.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60655 on: August 16, 2019, 03:23:07 pm »

For some reason I seem to remember Smith v Groves out there being a lot earlier than 8pm. But I may have just been watching the undercard.

Cheers, Mate.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60656 on: August 16, 2019, 04:04:25 pm »
Be on after Ruiz has had his dinner

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #60657 on: August 16, 2019, 10:18:51 pm »
Yeah Lewis would probably beat Joshua right now.

Lewis has been talking shit about Joshua for years though. There's some weird beef there but I think it's just because Lewis works for Haymon.

That’s exactly why it is.

He’s on the PBC payroll who promote Wilder.

He has been constantly criticising him throughout his career despite what he says. I tend to agree with AJ.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #60658 on: August 16, 2019, 11:04:51 pm »

Wouldn’t they just fight at Midnight as better for PPV purposes. Some of those old fights in Africa used to start at 4 in the morning for the sake of the main TV audiences.

Actually I remember being in Manchester Arena at 2am for Hatton v Tzsyu due to TV
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:07:17 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60659 on: August 17, 2019, 11:32:02 am »
Joshua now saying he was beaten by a lucky punch and that it took Ruiz 4 rounds to take him out ::) "Stay Humble" my arse, I hope the Snickers man beats him twice as hard in the rematch.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60660 on: August 17, 2019, 01:51:09 pm »
Joshua now saying he was beaten by a lucky punch and that it took Ruiz 4 rounds to take him out ::) "Stay Humble" my arse, I hope the Snickers man beats him twice as hard in the rematch.

Joshua now starting to make himself look silly.

What a stupid comment. He was soundly beaten.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60661 on: August 17, 2019, 02:23:44 pm »
He's half right, but the reason he got caught with a lucky punch is that he was swinging for the fences, punched himself out and got caught on his way in. Not the first time it's happened so he's being an idiot if he doesn't think there's something to work on.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60662 on: August 18, 2019, 06:20:57 pm »
AJ is on a hiding to nothing having a pop at Lennox Lewis. Regardless if he's right or wrong.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60663 on: August 19, 2019, 08:16:38 am »
Absolute nonsense from Joshua. There is no such thing as a lucky punch in boxing.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60664 on: August 19, 2019, 12:07:14 pm »
Absolute nonsense from Joshua. There is no such thing as a lucky punch in boxing.

is right

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60665 on: August 19, 2019, 01:52:02 pm »
I'm on Aj's side for this. Lennox has been digging him out for a good few years now.  Then trying to pass it off as constructive criticism.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60666 on: August 21, 2019, 06:50:56 pm »
Derevyanchenko to fight Golovkin on October 5 for IBF Middleweight title.

Looking forward to Yarde v Kovalev at the weekend.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60667 on: August 21, 2019, 07:00:58 pm »
Derevyanchenko to fight Golovkin on October 5 for IBF Middleweight title.

Looking forward to Yarde v Kovalev at the weekend.

So no Canelo V GGG 3 in September then which is good.

Yarde has a chance on Saturday

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60668 on: August 21, 2019, 11:18:03 pm »
So no Canelo V GGG 3 in September then which is good.

Yarde has a chance on Saturday
I strongly suspect that Yarde's record is a mirage. He is 28 years old, has little amateur experience and practically all of his 18 pro fights have been against puddings. Kovalev is on the slide but even at 75% of his best he wins this IMO. If he is ripe for the picking he could get done but I was impressed with him last time out. I also hear that Yarde doesn't use sparring partners nor does he do traditional roadwork. Seems like he is using his natural athleticism to get by. Yarde has been no further than 7 rounds in his career and only more than 5 once or twice. I wouldn't be surprised to see his tank empty and get stopped late to be honest.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #60669 on: August 22, 2019, 12:11:20 pm »
Clash on the fucking Dunes  :lmao :lmao :lmao

Right up there with Thrilla in Manila and Rumble in the Jungle.  ;D

Wank name for a fight in a wank location.

Dukes on the Dunes would have been much better

Get used to this BTW, same thing will happen with the UFC (and Africa)

They're absolutely nuts about Jiujitsu in the UAE, Abu Dhabi has it's own World Championships that they take on tour and we will be going to in 2020 or the year after!

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60670 on: August 22, 2019, 12:38:22 pm »

I'm not a big follower of boxing, I like the sport but don't watch a huge amount of fights so i'm not questioning the second part of your post, more looking to learn as im interested but is that really the case?

Could a fighter blindly throwing shots not catch someone? Would luck not be a large factor in SOME winning punches and are all shots measured ones?

The term is used a hell of a lot whenever I hear talk about past fights and although I do feel its an easy cop out (for the record I think this is the case with Joshuas comments on his loss) surely there is a such thing as a lucky punch in boxing, no? Again my knowledge of the sport is extremely limited and i'm simply looking to learn/be educated but couldn't a situation where you have a boxer who's completely exhausted and clearly losing, is simply trying not to give up and give all he can, ducking and just blindly throwing shots to stave off the threat of his opponent in the slim hope he might catch him with one stray shot... should he land one, would this not be considered a lucky shot as it cant really be described as a measured shot

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60671 on: August 22, 2019, 12:39:22 pm »
Throwback Thursday

The start of a little series looking back at some of the best fights and rivalries. If you have any suggestions, PM me and I will add them to the list.

I could have started with many fights and rivalries but in the spirit of our very own 'El Beefo' fighting in Mexico City this week, I am starting TBT with one of the best Mexican rivalries to ever take place in the squared circle - Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez. These were some of my favourite ever fights to watch and Rafa's brother, Juan Manuel will also feature soon!

Thanks to the power of the internet, the fights are available on YouTube and are well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen them.

These fights really define who both fighters were. They both won two each, fought each other in their prime in absolute wars and the two will always be intrinsically linked because of the rivalry, much like Gatti-Ward (a future TBT). The 2nd and 3rd fights won Ring Magazine Fight of the year awards and the first could have taken it easily too.

ESPN described them as 'the most entertaining fight series in recent boxing history' and I agree 100%

If you haven't seen them, congratulations, you're in for a massive fucking treat!

Fight 1
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/VLu21kh3jOE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/VLu21kh3jOE</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLu21kh3jOE

Fight 2
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/4bW34s5vhaQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/4bW34s5vhaQ</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bW34s5vhaQ

Fight 3
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/DmGhdQuvfO8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/DmGhdQuvfO8</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmGhdQuvfO8

Fight 4 Part 1
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/_kaWedj4G2s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/_kaWedj4G2s</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kaWedj4G2s

Fight 4 Part 2
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/KHgDt9gwq90" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/KHgDt9gwq90</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgDt9gwq90

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60672 on: August 22, 2019, 10:20:18 pm »
Dukes on the Dunes would have been much better

Get used to this BTW, same thing will happen with the UFC (and Africa)

They're absolutely nuts about Jiujitsu in the UAE, Abu Dhabi has it's own World Championships that they take on tour and we will be going to in 2020 or the year after!
I was thinking Duel on the Dunes myself. Or the catchier 'slave owners trying to legitimise themselves in the West by hosting big sports events.'

I'm not a big follower of boxing, I like the sport but don't watch a huge amount of fights so i'm not questioning the second part of your post, more looking to learn as im interested but is that really the case?

Could a fighter blindly throwing shots not catch someone? Would luck not be a large factor in SOME winning punches and are all shots measured ones?

The term is used a hell of a lot whenever I hear talk about past fights and although I do feel its an easy cop out (for the record I think this is the case with Joshuas comments on his loss) surely there is a such thing as a lucky punch in boxing, no? Again my knowledge of the sport is extremely limited and i'm simply looking to learn/be educated but couldn't a situation where you have a boxer who's completely exhausted and clearly losing, is simply trying not to give up and give all he can, ducking and just blindly throwing shots to stave off the threat of his opponent in the slim hope he might catch him with one stray shot... should he land one, would this not be considered a lucky shot as it cant really be described as a measured shot
I've seen a few 'lucky' punches in my time. Audley Harrison against Michael Sprott II comes to mind. It seldom happens when good fighters clash because their skill level doesnt allow 'lucky' punches to land, and big bombs are often a case of planning. Froch vs Groves II and Martinez vs Williams II are two instances of fighters laying 'traps' and then catching opponents with monster punches.

Throwback Thursday

The start of a little series looking back at some of the best fights and rivalries. If you have any suggestions, PM me and I will add them to the list.

I could have started with many fights and rivalries but in the spirit of our very own 'El Beefo' fighting in Mexico City this week, I am starting TBT with one of the best Mexican rivalries to ever take place in the squared circle - Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez. These were some of my favourite ever fights to watch and Rafa's brother, Juan Manuel will also feature soon!

Thanks to the power of the internet, the fights are available on YouTube and are well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen them.

These fights really define who both fighters were. They both won two each, fought each other in their prime in absolute wars and the two will always be intrinsically linked because of the rivalry, much like Gatti-Ward (a future TBT). The 2nd and 3rd fights won Ring Magazine Fight of the year awards and the first could have taken it easily too.

ESPN described them as 'the most entertaining fight series in recent boxing history' and I agree 100%

If you haven't seen them, congratulations, you're in for a massive fucking treat!

Fight 1
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/VLu21kh3jOE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/VLu21kh3jOE</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLu21kh3jOE

Fight 2
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/4bW34s5vhaQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/4bW34s5vhaQ</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bW34s5vhaQ

Fight 3
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/DmGhdQuvfO8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/DmGhdQuvfO8</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmGhdQuvfO8

Fight 4 Part 1
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/_kaWedj4G2s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/_kaWedj4G2s</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kaWedj4G2s

Fight 4 Part 2
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/KHgDt9gwq90" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/KHgDt9gwq90</a>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHgDt9gwq90

Ward vs Gatti obviously  :lickin

Barrera vs Morales is another killer. The first fight remains the best I've ever seen live. Pacman vs Marquez aren't bad either, although you've picked arguably the king of all rivalries!

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60673 on: August 23, 2019, 09:39:52 am »

I've seen a few 'lucky' punches in my time. Audley Harrison against Michael Sprott II comes to mind. It seldom happens when good fighters clash because their skill level doesnt allow 'lucky' punches to land, and big bombs are often a case of planning. Froch vs Groves II and Martinez vs Williams II are two instances of fighters laying 'traps' and then catching opponents with monster punches.

This was more the impression i got from the fights i've watched, that they do exist but they aren't a common occurence and the likelihood of them in fights between two skilled and high quality fighters is significantly lower

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60674 on: August 23, 2019, 10:02:34 am »
Throwback Thursday

To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever sat down and watched all these from start to finish.  Difficult to remember because you see highlights pop up from time to time, but I can't remember watching them at the time.  I'm going to tuck into them at the weekend.

Great idea, and good pick.  Other good ones have been mentioned, JMM v Pacquaio is my favourite just for the narrative of all the questionable decisions and then the completely decisive ending (which I also made a few quid on!).  Feels like you could just keep going with smaller weights from around 2000-2010 and keep coming up with good stuff.  JMM, Morales, MAB, Pacquaio, Gatti, Ward, what a time.

Wouldn't mind looking at some of the 90s heavyweights again just because I was a bit young to appreciate it at the time.  Something like Holyfield/Bowe would be good to watch again.  Good stuff with the middleweights in that era too.

Of course the series we're all thinking of but is too obvious to mention is Audley Harrison's campaigns at heavyweight in the mid naughties.  Rogan, Sprott, and the great trilogy that never was with Williams.  The scourge of doormen and cab drivers up and down the country.  What a time to be alive.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60675 on: August 23, 2019, 03:33:33 pm »
Harrison is next  8) ;D

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60676 on: August 23, 2019, 03:43:23 pm »
Reckon McCall's KO of Lewis was a lucky punch. I'm pretty sure his eyes were shut when he threw that [emoji38]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60677 on: August 23, 2019, 03:48:12 pm »
A lot of people say Danny Garcia's first knockdown of Amir Khan was a fluke too since he had his eyes closed, looked down and the shot landed on the neck.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60678 on: August 23, 2019, 04:13:04 pm »
A lot of people say Danny Garcia's first knockdown of Amir Khan was a fluke too since he had his eyes closed, looked down and the shot landed on the neck.

Amir Khan walking on to a left hook is never a fluke ;D  He can't help himself!

What about one of Andy Lee's sucker punches?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60679 on: August 23, 2019, 04:18:57 pm »
No such thing as a lucky punch in boxing.

One of the most devastating kos I've ever seen was Martinez v Williams. Martinez separated his soul from his body with a punch when he was looking the other way. Was that lucky? Was it fcuk!

Garcia has missed Khan by whiskers before he nailed him, he just timed the brainless Khan who was way too emotional on the day