Author Topic: A mobile app for RAWK  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A mobile app for RAWK
« on: January 31, 2020, 03:33:34 pm »
Have you guys ever thought about developing a mobile app or getting a third party to come in and develop one? Looking at the likes of Anfield Wrap doing one is interesting.

I’m sure for many RAWK is one of those websites they log into everyday and they would love to have a custom iOS / Android app for a better mobile experience than either using the site through a mobile browser or tapatalk. I’d also be pretty sure there would be a lot of people, myself included, who would be willing to make a contribution to a fund specifically for such a project.

As always thanks for running a wonderful site.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:35:37 pm by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: A mobile app for RAWK
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 04:45:33 pm »
It’s a forum, it doesn’t need an app.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 04:46:59 pm »
Not worth it

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 04:52:32 pm »
It’s a forum, it doesn’t need an app.

I know it doesn’t necessarily need one. But the mobile user experience can be transformed by having one, and the possibilities to extend the site beyond being just a forum are greater with a quality app. But of course the forum would still take centre stage. Just sharing my ideas of the perfect RAWK app ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:54:51 pm by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 05:00:07 pm »
I know it doesn’t necessarily need one. But the mobile user experience can be transformed by having one, and the possibilities to extend the site beyond being just a forum are greater with a quality app. But of course the forum would still take centre stage. Just sharing my ideas of the perfect RAWK app ;D

I don’t think there is any intention to extend the site, but if so probably easier and cheaper to do so as a website prior to an app.

An app requires constant updates to make sure it works with all platform updates. It’s really pointless when all it would really do is mimic the forum experience that you can get in numerous other ways without an app.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 05:16:16 pm »
I don’t think there is any intention to extend the site, but if so probably easier and cheaper to do so as a website prior to an app.

An app requires constant updates to make sure it works with all platform updates. It’s really pointless when all it would really do is mimic the forum experience that you can get in numerous other ways without an app.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts man. It was interesting to hear the thought process behind why a site like RAWK chooses not to pursue the app route. For sure i understand there are many considerations that an average user looking at an idea on the surface often misses.

But i will say this - i was in the app store the other day downloading a clutch of Liverpool related football apps, and the only one I would have paid a one-off fee for is a RAWK app. Without hesitation i would have paid £15. Just putting that thought out there.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 06:37:49 pm »
I'm not one of the technical Mods but I can give you a very early prediction that it won't happen mate.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 11:31:17 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts man. It was interesting to hear the thought process behind why a site like RAWK chooses not to pursue the app route. For sure i understand there are many considerations that an average user looking at an idea on the surface often misses.

But i will say this - i was in the app store the other day downloading a clutch of Liverpool related football apps, and the only one I would have paid a one-off fee for is a RAWK app. Without hesitation i would have paid £15. Just putting that thought out there.

Hello Keith, thanks for being a RAWK supporter. :wave

You have been on the site long enough to know that the RAWK forum model isn't really suited to developing an app. If it's readability that is an issue, there are third party apps like tapatalk that work with the SMF forum software, and help with presentation on phones and tablets. The site has been volunteer run and wilfully non-commercial for twenty years, and runs on shareware. The content you read is free, and has been supplied for free by fellow supporters. No one is making any money from RAWK. Apps and other bells and whistles would begin to accrue other costs and headaches that need funding, and we have consciously chosen not to do that. Other sites who have monetised their traffic through ad revenues, merchandise and subscription models are able to invest in their user experience because that's how they make their money, and in some cases their living.

RAWK users are here as guests, not customers. We don't ask for much, we don't sell you anything, but we're very grateful to those of you who keep the servers running.