Author Topic: Free Online Feature Films  (Read 752 times)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Free Online Feature Films
« on: August 18, 2020, 11:10:25 pm »
I've been organising online film watch-a-longs during lockdown and there's actually a great selection of stuff available for free outside Netflix, Prime and the rest of the paid streaming sites, so I thought I'd put together a list of the best and/or most interesting if people fancy it. I'll be adding to it, but anyone else can too if they find something good (though obviously, links may not work long term and picture quality varies).

Notorious (1946)

Arguably the start of Hitchcock's golden era, Cary Grant recruits Ingrid Bergman, the daughter of a convicted nazi spy, to inflitrate a group of Nazis that have moved to Brazil after the war. But how much can she trust him?

Paris Blues (1961)

Paul Newman and Sidney Poitier star as expat jazz musicians who strike up a romance with American women on holiday. The live music scenes, with Louis Armstrong playing a fictional touring trumpeter, are scintillating and the black and white depiction of early 60's Paris is a fascinating counterpart to...

Charade (1963)

In my top five favourite movies of all time, this is a Rolls Royce of a film from the Saul Bass credits and Henry Mancini's iconic score to the killer last line. Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn banter their way through a Hitchcockian romantic murder mystery in Paris with some of the wittiest dialogue in cinema. James Coburn, George Kennedy and Walter Matthau make up a top notch cast.

Onibaba (1964)

A beautifully filmed and unexpectedly risque Japanese horror film about desperation and alienation. A woman and her daughter-in-law are forced to survive in wartime by killing and robbing soldiers, until a man comes back claiming to be a comrade of the latter's husband.

The Wild Angels (1966)

Roger Corman's Easy Rider forerunner isn't as well made but it is more fun, a speed-fueled B-movie that also stars Peter Fonda, with Nancy Sinatra, Bruce Dern, Diane Ladd and a bunch of real-life Hell's Angels in the supporting cast. A pre-fame Peter Bogdanovich wrote it and it includes one of the most famous samples in music history.

Medium Cool (1969)

The only film to be directed by multi-Oscar winning cinematographer Haskell Wexler, Medium Cool is an early cinema vérité film starring Robert Forster (Jackie Brown) as a news journalist who finds out the feds are using his footage to keep tabs on protesters. Features dozens of real-life people including Black Panthers and attendees of the 1968 Democratic convention, along with some of the best picture and sound editing you've ever seen, courtesy of Verna Fields and Christopher Newman, who'd later win four Oscars between them.

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970)

The best rock n'roll film ever, mostly because there's barely any actual music in there. It's also Russ Meyer, which means a decent helping of nudity along with the increasingly soapy and sordid private lives of the Carrie Nations, an all-girl band who've moved to the bright lights of Los Angeles. Every scene in the last 45 minutes gets crazier and more entertaining.

Opening Night (1977)

Part of that great run of John Cassavetes films starring his partner, Gena Rowlands, who gives an award-winning performance as an ageing alcoholic actress haunted by the death of a fan while she prepares for her new play.

The Brood (1979)

Prime early Cronenberg, with a climax to match. Ollie Reed is a pioneering psychiatrist who encourages mentally ill patients to express their trauma through physiological changes. He's treating the bonkers Samantha Eggars, who's going through a custody battle. It couldn't have anything to do with those mutant children killing everyone, could it? This version has Portuguese subtitles for some reason.

Suburbia (1984)

Fresh from the epic Decline of Western Civilization documentary, Penelope Spheeris (who'd go on to do Wayne's World) went back to the LA punk scene for her first feature, which follows a bunch of kids holed up in a house avoiding bigoted adults and packs of wild abandoned dogs. Roger Corman produced it, a 20-year old Flea (from the Chili Peppers) features, and the soundtrack's great.

A Better Tomorrow (1986)

The film that broke John Woo as a director and Chow Yun Fat as an action star, this pretty much invented the Heroic Bloodshed genre, adding soap opera-like love elements to a thrilling cops and robbers film full of twists and turns. You can draw a straight line between this and later classics like Hard Boiled and The Killer.

Maniac Cop (1988)

Decent 80's B-movie with Bruce Campbell as a police officer who may or may not be the psychotic cop going on a killing spree. The sequel is also on YouTube.

Chopper Chicks In Zombietown (1989)

Primo Troma film about a gang of badass biker chicks who run into a full on zombie outbreak when they cruise into a small town for some R&R. Features a pre-fame Billy Bob Thornton and 80's MTV VJ Martha Quinn. Most Troma stuff is also on YouTube.

Slacker (1991)

Richard Linklater's debut film features an interlocking group of Austin scenesters, weirdos and randoms as they criss cross over the course of a day. Very of its time, but endlessly fascinating and extremely entertaining.

1991: The Year Punk Broke (1992)

A tour film following Sonic Youth and Nirvana as they travel add perform through the summer festival season in Europe. Also features Dinosaur Jr, Babes in Toyland and the Ramones.

Short Cuts (1993)

Robert Altman was hot at the start of the 90's and he followed up his excellent Hollywood study, The Player, with this, an adaptation of a group of Raymond Carver short stories about suburban LA life presented as overlapping vignettes. Fairly grim, but what a cast: Julianne Moore, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Robert Downey Jr., Madeleine Stowe, Chris Penn, Jack Lemmon, Frances McDormand, Andie MacDowell, Lily Tomlin, Matthew Modine, Huey Lewis, Lyle Lovett and Tom Waits among them. 

Roadracers (1994)

Between El Mariachi and Desperado, Robert Rodriguez made this enormously enjoyable 50's pastiche starring David Arquette in probably his best ever role, Salma Hayek in her first ever American role, and the grim reaper William Sadler as a cynical fry cook. Music by Tito & Tarantula, the house band from Desperado and From Dusk Til Dawn.

Dead Man (1995)

I'm not a huge Jim Jarmusch fan but this might be my favourite. An acid western in which Johnny Depp plays (not that) William Blake, who goes looking for a job as an accountant and finds something much weirder and darker. Robert Mitchum, Lance Henriksen, Crispin Glover, Iggy Pop, Billy Bob Thornton, Gabriel Byrne and John Hurt all have supporting roles, the cinematography is gorgeous and Neil Young's score is sparse and atmospheric.

Tromeo and Juliet (1997)

Another Troma classic. Released in the wake of the Baz Luhrmann film, this is the superior version of the story, as it adds gore, nudity, mutants, car crashes, lesbianism, extreme violence and Lemmy as the narrator. It's what Shakespeare would have wanted. Spanish subtitles.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
Re: Free Online Feature Films
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 03:06:41 am »
Interesting list. Where did you source these from? I've been meaning to watch Notorious for a while now. I've watched movies on Kanopy before which has a great list of titles. You just need to be a member of your local library.

Robert Altman was an incredibly talented director.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 03:08:36 pm »
Great list SM.  Some excellent films here I’ve seen and others I’d like to see.
Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share.
Much appreciated!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:25:40 pm »
Three of Romero's finest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhrGHt5yfEU - Night of the Living Dead (1968) *colour version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKmM2OimaY&t=76s - Dawn of the Dead (1978)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dIQJ39HKU0 - Day of the Dead (1985)

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 06:52:14 pm »
Interesting list. Where did you source these from? I've been meaning to watch Notorious for a while now. I've watched movies on Kanopy before which has a great list of titles. You just need to be a member of your local library.

Robert Altman was an incredibly talented director.

There were a load of films I fancied putting on so I looked them up. Some were on, some weren't. There are actually loads more, I just havent got round to watching them yet, but I'll be putting them up as and when I do. I will say that Archive.org is an incredible resource for not just films but anything video-based. It really is a treasure.

Three of Romero's finest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhrGHt5yfEU - Night of the Living Dead (1968) *colour version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKmM2OimaY&t=76s - Dawn of the Dead (1978)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dIQJ39HKU0 - Day of the Dead (1985)

:thumbup

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 09:23:18 pm »
Nice one. It can be hard to find good free movies on youtube, unless you're searching for something in particular.

This youtuber (Rosebud) has a few good ones up at the mo:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdC58n3XSX-mo0pZrhprvZw

The Straight Story, La Haine, Three Colours Trilogy, The Hitcher, The Piano, Short Cuts etc.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 09:28:29 pm »
Nice one. It can be hard to find good free movies on youtube, unless you're searching for something in particular.

The Straight Story, La Haine, Three Colours Trilogy, The Hitcher, The Piano, Short Cuts etc.
La Haine is one of my all time favourite Foreign movies.

The Mossad agent Toy maker in Munich directed that.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 09:31:16 pm »
Great thread SM. I haven't got anything to add at the moment but will be keeping my eye on this.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 01:55:30 am »
Cracking list, plenty I've not seen here

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 12:27:53 pm »

That looks like a class list, cheers. I wonder how long that channel will stay up.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 08:00:09 pm »
Blow Out (1981)

Technically a remake of Antonioni's Blow-Up but so different it's more like an 'inspired by' case. John Travolta is a sound effect creator who inadvertently witnesses a car accident he's convinced was a murder. But how can he make anyone believe him? Brian De Palma did this between Dressed to Kill and Scarface and it's definitely got a lot of that visual flair, along with a cracking 80's synth funk soundtrack. Also one of Tarantino's three favourite films.

Nothing But a Man (1964)

In the Library of Congress's National Film Registry, this was a groundbreaking film shot in the black community in the deep south around the time of the early civil rights movement (though that's in the background at best). It shows the struggles of a young railroad worker as he romances a schoolteacher and tries to retain his dignity against omnipresent bigotry and the resistance of the older black men around him. Much too interesting to be 'worthy' thankfully, it almost looks like a 90's art film and it features the debut of 80's movie legend Yaphet Kotto in a supporting role.