Author Topic: Family Tree Searches  (Read 43529 times)

Offline pinkdragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Family Tree Searches
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »
I would recommend 23andMe, it gives you a lot of ancestry and health information.

Thank you. Will do.
My love. My passion. My life. Liverpool Football Club.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2013, 09:06:04 pm »
Been doing some research on the missus family & discovered something quite interesting .

My missus Great Great Great Great Uncle was a convict transported to Australia in 1789 as part of the Second Fleet. On The Neptune ship arriving in 1790. He was convicted in Wiltshire of Highway Robbery in 1787 stealing six shillings from a man . He was sentenced to death but this was commuted to transportation to Australia for 7 years.
He survived the worst ship in convict history & once in Australia was convicted of stealing corn & was sentenced to wear an Iron ring round his neck for two years.

In 1791 he was transported to the remote penal colony on Norfolk Island. Then due to the government closing down Norfolk Island he was transported to Tasmania in 1807.
By this time a free man & given 34 acres of land .

He married (1815) another convict an Irish female convict transported out to Australia in 1814 , convicted of being an Irish Rebel in Dublin in 1812.

They had two children . Unfortunately he died in 1821 & my missus then Great Great Great Great Aunt remarried a former soldier now convict transported out to Australia for life as being one of the ringleaders in the Gibraltar Mutiny of 1802.

It's been quite interesting finding all this out & reading about the hardships & tough life the convicts & first settlers had in Australia .

I'm now trying to trace the children but not much luck so far as it would interested to see if there is a family tree to the modern day .

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2013, 04:29:26 pm »
Paul, you might already use the following site, but just in case I'll post the link - although the dates might be a little too late for you; it's a newspaper archive that I've got some interesting stuff from.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:32:11 pm by Tsar Kastik »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:09 pm »
Been doing some research on the missus family & discovered something quite interesting .

My missus Great Great Great Great Uncle was a convict transported to Australia in 1789 as part of the Second Fleet. On The Neptune ship arriving in 1790. He was convicted in Wiltshire of Highway Robbery in 1787 stealing six shillings from a man . He was sentenced to death but this was commuted to transportation to Australia for 7 years.
He survived the worst ship in convict history & once in Australia was convicted of stealing corn & was sentenced to wear an Iron ring round his neck for two years.

In 1791 he was transported to the remote penal colony on Norfolk Island. Then due to the government closing down Norfolk Island he was transported to Tasmania in 1807.
By this time a free man & given 34 acres of land .

He married (1815) another convict an Irish female convict transported out to Australia in 1814 , convicted of being an Irish Rebel in Dublin in 1812.

They had two children . Unfortunately he died in 1821 & my missus then Great Great Great Great Aunt remarried a former soldier now convict transported out to Australia for life as being one of the ringleaders in the Gibraltar Mutiny of 1802.

It's been quite interesting finding all this out & reading about the hardships & tough life the convicts & first settlers had in Australia .

I'm now trying to trace the children but not much luck so far as it would interested to see if there is a family tree to the modern day .

Now that would make a good "Who do you think you are?" episode
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2013, 08:14:32 am »
Paul, you might already use the following site, but just in case I'll post the link - although the dates might be a little too late for you; it's a newspaper archive that I've got some interesting stuff from.

Thanks for that. It's a good link.

We had quite a few who went out to Oz. I've now found inquest details on one of them who fell into a ship's hold in Adelaide Harbour.
I've also discovered that one who died mysteriously quite young was shot down as a member of the RAAF.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:05 pm »
Pleased it was of some use MV. Just in case, here's the NZ version link,

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:26 pm »

Cheers mate when I get some time ill check it out & see what I can find .

Cheers
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2013, 03:12:44 am »

Love reading interesting stories like that.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2014, 12:28:03 pm »
The National Archives are looking for volunteers to transcribe the actual war diaries kept by each unit in WW1, if anyone is interested.

http://www.operationwardiary.org/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=The+National+Archives&utm_campaign=4206972_War+diaries+mailshot+May+2014&utm_content=OWD&dm_i=MAN,2I64C,3BQH1D,94DYF,1

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2014, 08:34:06 pm »
That's an interesting and enormous task mate.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2014, 09:12:09 pm »
Our kid's been doing this. Our name means Dweller Of a Ditch. And our ancestors where horse thieves... get in there.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2014, 03:52:00 pm »
I've just disproven the idea of my McKenna ancestors being from Mayo. I found a child of my 4x great grandfather Robert McKenna marrying in Liverpool in the 1850s, and in the censuses she says she was born in Armagh. I've found a possible baptism for Robert in 1809 to a John and Margaret McKenna, nee Cummins, in Armagh.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2014, 03:33:09 pm »
So Iam in County Armagh and do a bit family tree stuff. I find out that my great , great grandparents the Connors are from a place called Mullabrack. I then google it to see where about in Ireland it is and it's about seven miles from where Iam.

Madness !

Have a guess where Iam going right now ?

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:01 pm »
Just done a route finder and it's 1.3 miles.

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2014, 06:50:13 pm »
Look for the oldest, smallest church mate and if you're lucky you may find a family grave.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2014, 08:02:06 pm »
Thats what I done John.

Didn't find anything though. Found a few Connels and O' Connors but no Connor.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2014, 09:03:02 pm »
Shame, they'll be in the vicinity probably mate.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2014, 09:33:57 pm »
Shame, they'll be in the vicinity probably mate.

Mullabrack is tiny . Two churches and about 20 houses. Was nice driving through the small villages nearby knowing they would have passed through them.

My four grandparents names are.

Dixon
Murray
Keen
Hoare

I know one of my great grandparents names is Carey from Cork.

I now know that Connor is one of my great , great granparents names from Armargh.

I knew like most of us I had Irish blood but this is ridiculous.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 9, 2015, 12:59:59 pm »
It is now possible to order wills online at gov.uk, cost is 10 pounds and takes about 10 days before it's available for download, then you have a month to download , registering is fairly simple.
There are 3 categories -wills & probate 1996 to present, wills & probate 1858-1996, and soldiers wills, as far as I can tell there is no restriction on who can order which seems a bit odd. You just need name & death date to look up the index.

When does research end up being snooping?, I stopped at my cousins on 'ancestry' even though they are grandparents, tried to limit the aunts and uncles spouses families to what was already out there, still I'm sure there are a few noses out of joint
« Last Edit: January 9, 2015, 04:48:56 pm by L12 »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 9, 2015, 04:24:59 pm »
I agree L12, it can and does present a problem.

Ancestry does allow you to specify that the person is 'alive' and therefore isn't actually named, but even so it is awkward; you just have to try and be sensitive about it.

Probates and wills can be really interesting and useful though, I've got 2 in particular that tied up some loose ends for me (they are both over 200 years old so no problem with snooping.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:13 pm »
There were 225 seamen from Liverpool who served at the battle of Trafalgar.  Entering Liverpool  in the 'birth place' box (inside 2 asterisks, like so *liverpool*) will bring their names up.

http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/trafalgarancestors/advanced_search.asp

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 1, 2015, 09:22:00 pm »
Evenin' all;

I've been lurking here for a little while whilst tracing my Dad's family - found quite a lot, but still plenty of elusive details and mysteries to solve.

At the minute, I am after a marriage certificate (1892) and a death certificate (1920) both registered in Naas, Co. Kildare - they are too early for the online order system from Dublin GRO which goes back to 1924.

Does this mean a little recce out to Ireland (I'm based in Newcastle) or can I get my paws on them another way? Has anyone sent postal orders for certificates over?

Thanks chaps!

Roots Ireland would be worth a try, watch it though they operate on credits which can end up costing a bit, can download records which may not include all information.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2015, 06:11:19 pm »
I can add another Irish county to my ancestral origins as I've received the birth certificate of my great great grandmother Mary Ann Callaghan, who was born in Kent to Irish parents. Her father has a different name to what is recorded on her marriage certificate and he is alive where the record says he had died by then, but the record is otherwise almost exactly right. Her father, Patrick, was born in Frenchpark in county Roscommon (the most westerly county in Ireland where my ancestors are known to have to come from so far - they usually come from the east or north) and her mother Mary Ann, nee Keough, was born in Ireland but so far I don't know exactly where.

Patrick was a soldier who was stationed in places such as the Cape of Good Hope and China.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2015, 07:26:06 pm »
I can add another Irish county to my ancestral origins as I've received the birth certificate of my great great grandmother Mary Ann Callaghan, who was born in Kent to Irish parents. Her father has a different name to what is recorded on her marriage certificate and he is alive where the record says he had died by then, but the record is otherwise almost exactly right. Her father, Patrick, was born in Frenchpark in county Roscommon (the most westerly county in Ireland where my ancestors are known to have to come from so far - they usually come from the east or north) and her mother Mary Ann, nee Keough, was born in Ireland but so far I don't know exactly where.

Patrick was a soldier who was stationed in places such as the Cape of Good Hope and China.

A couple of the records for my family from Dundalk have inaccuracies, one has a different maiden name for a mother, yet the address is the same as the other records which are correct.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2015, 07:55:07 pm »
A couple of the records for my family from Dundalk have inaccuracies, one has a different maiden name for a mother, yet the address is the same as the other records which are correct.

It's like my direct matrilineal ancestor (mum's mum's mum's mum etc) Nancy Storey, who was born in Kendal, Westmorland (now Cumbria), her birth name was actually Agnes but she used the nickname for most of her life.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2015, 09:05:52 am »
Findmypast has the 1939 Register going online next Monday (2nd Nov).

But at £6.95 a hit they can whistle.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2015, 12:59:51 pm »
Findmypast has the 1939 Register going online next Monday (2nd Nov).

But at £6.95 a hit they can whistle.

It might seem pricey, but if you are stuck on research for a family member it is well worth it considering most records cost around a tenner nowadays. A lot cheaper than the NHS were charging for a Register record too.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:10:14 pm by L12 »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2016, 03:38:56 pm »
I've recently made a little progress on another Irish line and potentially found another one - my ancestor Arthur Connolly was a bricklayer who was born in Ireland but moved to England as a young man and married an Englishwoman. It turns out that their son Cornelius was baptised in Dublin county, so at one point I think they moved back to where Arthur was from within Ireland originally.

The other line is about a mysterious ancestor of mine called Jeremiah Russell, who seems to have appeared out of nowhere after his birth in the late 1780s. I've recently found a record for someone of that name and birthdate from Cork, so if that's the same guy as my ancestor, it could be the connection between myself and genetic cousins who have known roots in County Cork.

I've made some progress on a few English lines as well although many are still stubborn brick walls.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2016, 04:22:13 pm »
I've recently made a little progress on another Irish line and potentially found another one - my ancestor Arthur Connolly was a bricklayer who was born in Ireland but moved to England as a young man and married an Englishwoman. It turns out that their son Cornelius was baptised in Dublin county, so at one point I think they moved back to where Arthur was from within Ireland originally.

The other line is about a mysterious ancestor of mine called Jeremiah Russell, who seems to have appeared out of nowhere after his birth in the late 1780s. I've recently found a record for someone of that name and birthdate from Cork, so if that's the same guy as my ancestor, it could be the connection between myself and genetic cousins who have known roots in County Cork.

I've made some progress on a few English lines as well although many are still stubborn brick walls.

Findmypast have a number of Irish records now, some actual records not just an index to a record.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2016, 01:10:57 pm »
How can I find out who lived / owned a house in Hamstead, London in August 1920?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2016, 01:37:36 pm »
How can I find out who lived / owned a house in Hamstead, London in August 1920?

Land Registry? 

Don't know if they keep historical records for previous owners but it's worth a try. 

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 13, 2016, 01:47:25 pm »
Ancestry has a collection of records for the electoral register in London between 1832 and 1965, so it's very likely that the person at the address is listed there.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2016, 02:26:00 pm »
Ancestry has a collection of records for the electoral register in London between 1832 and 1965, so it's very likely that the person at the address is listed there.
I'm a member of that mate, where abouts on the site :)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2016, 02:49:24 pm »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2016, 04:25:37 pm »
Thanks sms.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2016, 04:27:55 pm »
You're welcome!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2016, 04:48:12 pm »
Land Registry? 

Don't know if they keep historical records for previous owners but it's worth a try. 
Is there a London land registry by street address and occupants in 1920 debs?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2016, 05:06:35 pm »
Is there a London land registry by street address and occupants in 1920 debs?

There's only one Land Registry I think.  They hold records of who owns every property or piece of land across the country John but I don't know if they hold historical records of previous owners.

http://www.landregistry-titledeeds.co.uk/?gclid=CP_xgMCcptACFUMTGwodGKsFPg

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:09:25 pm by reddebs »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2016, 05:19:37 pm »
Thanks debs.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan