Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 302193 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #4720 on: March 24, 2023, 08:05:50 pm »
One of the rare occasions I'm actually rooting for McIlroy, hate that Bradley he's so annoying to watch.

How good is Laura Davies on comms by the way? Female sports commentators seem to get a lot of stick nowadays but she is excellent, credit where it's due.

The Kelly Cates of Golf.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4721 on: March 24, 2023, 08:11:21 pm »
One of the rare occasions I'm actually rooting for McIlroy, hate that Bradley he's so annoying to watch.

How good is Laura Davies on comms by the way? Female sports commentators seem to get a lot of stick nowadays but she is excellent, credit where it's due.

Looks like the one out of Gavin and Stacey.

Keegan Bradley I mean, not Laura Davies…although now I mention it.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4722 on: March 24, 2023, 08:38:02 pm »
Looks like the one out of Gavin and Stacey.

Keegan Bradley I mean, not Laura Davies…although now I mention it.

I was thinking more Crusty the clown with those feet.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #4723 on: March 26, 2023, 07:23:16 pm »
Cameron Young beats Rory on the 19th hole and moves to the Final of the WGC Match Play.

Rory was 2 up with 4 to play.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4724 on: March 26, 2023, 07:30:42 pm »
Sam Burns beat Scottie Scheffler on the 21st hole to make the Final.

Young v Burns Final.

McIlroy v Scheffler for 3rd place.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4725 on: March 26, 2023, 07:32:37 pm »
Sam Burns beat Scottie Scheffler on the 21st hole to make the Final.

Young v Burns Final.

McIlroy v Scheffler for 3rd place.
I would have put my mortgage on Scheffler to make the 5 footer on 20 to win it.

Rory and him must be pissed at having to play that 3rd place playoff. They've already played 6 rounds this week.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4726 on: March 26, 2023, 08:12:23 pm »
3rd place match now underway.

Both in the fairway on 1.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4727 on: March 26, 2023, 08:27:03 pm »
Burns v Young in the Final now underway.

Cameron Young has never won a PGA tournament.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #4728 on: March 26, 2023, 10:29:02 pm »
There's literally about 20 people walking round with the two finalists and several thousand following the consolation match 🤣

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4729 on: March 26, 2023, 11:45:59 pm »
I think that's actually quietly a big win for Rory in terms of the year ahead. Played some good golf this week.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4730 on: March 27, 2023, 08:28:51 am »
yes he did

The win over Xander was pretty good, I literally dont think he lead any part of that match at all until he holed at the last

Schefflers putter seemed to go cold but several great displays from him, was behind in a few matches and came back

I would have put my mortgage on Scheffler to make the 5 footer on 20 to win it.

Rory and him must be pissed at having to play that 3rd place playoff. They've already played 6 rounds this week.
was it even 5 foot, bad miss alright
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4731 on: April 3, 2023, 08:51:03 am »
Masters week!

Potentially a very wet and stormy one if the forecasts are anywhere near accurate. Weather delays seem almost inevitable.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4732 on: April 3, 2023, 09:42:37 am »
Masters week!

Potentially a very wet and stormy one if the forecasts are anywhere near accurate. Weather delays seem almost inevitable.

Would be funny if the LIVr's are all leading after 54 and then all fade off for a PGA player to win it.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #4733 on: April 3, 2023, 10:12:56 am »
Would be funny if the LIVr's are all leading after 54 and then all fade off for a PGA player to win it.

Would be even funnier if they all missed the cut.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4734 on: April 3, 2023, 11:58:51 am »
Really hope it's Rory's year.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4735 on: April 3, 2023, 12:02:49 pm »
Can’t rest complain but am going on holiday tomorrow so will miss all of this which is a shame. Best tournament to watch bar none.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #4736 on: April 3, 2023, 12:09:23 pm »
Can’t rest complain but am going on holiday tomorrow so will miss all of this which is a shame. Best tournament to watch bar none.

I am delighted it's on Easter weekend. No thinking about staying up before the Monday work madness

Can't wait. Love the masters
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4737 on: April 3, 2023, 04:05:14 pm »

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #4738 on: April 3, 2023, 06:10:38 pm »
Really hope it's Rory's year.

A long and wet Augusta suits him if his driver is on song but so much of it with Rory is the mental side of it. I've said it before but if he wins at Augusta it'll be the best victory of his career, not just because of the significance of a victory at The Masters in and of itself but given the almost decade long wait from his last major victory, and given the scars he has from the meltdown there and other close shaves.

Rory went bogey-free last year at St Andrews on Sunday after being tied for the lead going into the final round and he still didn't win. You can ask yourself is that bad luck, just one of those things or something more? Again, solo runner up at Augusta a year ago with that stunning final round but the horse had long bolted, the pressure was off, Scheffler was not for catching.

He's almost expected to win it this week, the hype machine is in overdrive and the nauseating coverage has started. He's obviously got the game to win there and conditions will suit, yet getting it done will not be easy.

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4739 on: April 3, 2023, 09:00:19 pm »
What's the best Practice Day to visit at The Open?

Never been to a practice day before but going to do one this year at RL - wondered if there are any Open visitor veterans in here.

Was thinking Sunday? Basically just want to see all the big names, not sure if they're there every day or not?

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4740 on: April 3, 2023, 09:03:59 pm »

Never been to a practice day before but going to do one this year at RL - wondered if there are any Open visitor veterans in here.

Was thinking Sunday? Basically just want to see all the big names, not sure if they're there every day or not?

If you want to see more than a few shots per player... go to the practice range and watch the players warm up. You'll see more there than on the course.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4741 on: April 4, 2023, 08:31:02 am »

mate of mine went to Portrush in 2019, he was there for the whole week. Said Monday and tuesday was very relaxed and you could get close to the players.

I went Wednesday, was good but the heavens opened and that was that pretty much, just as I got to the range to see Tiger

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4742 on: April 4, 2023, 08:47:30 am »

I'm going Monday. Usually get to get quite close to a lot of the players and walk the course. Really relaxed day as well

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4743 on: April 4, 2023, 09:27:35 am »
mate of mine went to Portrush in 2019, he was there for the whole week. Said Monday and tuesday was very relaxed and you could get close to the players.

I went Wednesday, was good but the heavens opened and that was that pretty much, just as I got to the range to see Tiger

Definitely the better days as the players are a lot more relaxed and interact with the crowd. Think my first Open was at Troon where Justin Leonard won. Christ that's another life ago but always great event where you could walk up on the day and pay to get in. Now you need to get a ticket i guess which hopefully will change as the more opportunity to see a major the better it is for the game. The Masters is a golden ticket which is a joke to be honest as they should allocate more to the public and definitely end package deals. Five nights four days at the Masters £15k lol
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4744 on: April 4, 2023, 10:08:41 am »
Yeah portrush 2019 was the first time you couldnt walk up and buy a ticket

Had mine a year before event, and will be buying for it mid 2024 some time.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4745 on: April 4, 2023, 10:26:55 am »
It's a shame as most Open venues can accommodate spectators on the day. Portrush was the first as think they were afraid half of Ireland would turn up 😂 only drove 7 hours each way to attend it. Great day on the Saturday when Lowry tore up the course

Got my tickets from Shaun, Cowtownred, and was shocked to hear he passed away less than a year later. Still thankful as he didn't even charge me. Top man.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2023, 10:30:16 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4746 on: April 4, 2023, 10:40:12 am »
thats sad alright

I went home saturday morning, typical of course the weather was so good my mate staying on didnt even bring his rain gear that day, though Sunday was pretty horrendous

I was beside a fella on Friday from Carrickmacross, lovely guy, he was about 20 stone. Said to me he had a ticket for the next day but wasnt going, said I thought he was mad but he said it takes hours for him to get home and get back and he was just wrecked

reason I mention his weight was I said to him to just sleep in his car or van and he just went
"look at the size of me, not a chance"

Shame he had to give up his ticket.

My mate who went all week actually skipped Friday to stay at home, gave ticket to his dad, said his legs were just gone

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4747 on: April 4, 2023, 11:31:50 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone

Think I will go for the Monday - seeing Tiger and Rory playing together yesterday at Augusta has swung it for me as well haha

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4748 on: April 4, 2023, 03:47:03 pm »
Definitely the better days as the players are a lot more relaxed and interact with the crowd. Think my first Open was at Troon where Justin Leonard won. Christ that's another life ago but always great event where you could walk up on the day and pay to get in. Now you need to get a ticket i guess which hopefully will change as the more opportunity to see a major the better it is for the game. The Masters is a golden ticket which is a joke to be honest as they should allocate more to the public and definitely end package deals. Five nights four days at the Masters £15k lol

The Masters doesn't do package deals.

Those are touts offering ST's at a premium with their package of accommodation and drinks/parties.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4749 on: April 4, 2023, 07:07:28 pm »

Those are touts offering ST's at a premium with their package of accommodation and drinks/parties.

Premium?? I would say it's daylight robbery. The club can easily trace these tickets to the original patrons and revoke their privileges who sold the tickets to the package companies but they obviously turn a blind eye to it. You got to love capitalism 😜 still remember an individual who failed to deliver on a bunch of golden tickets, went bust and actually committed suicide. Crazy stuff.

Anyway really looking forward to the golf this week and curious to see where Rory will ignore all the advice from Tiger, Fred n co by trying to hit the impossible shot thus shooting himself in the foot again

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4750 on: April 4, 2023, 08:25:34 pm »
Ticket prices face value for the open are crazy, from £95 for Thursday to £110 for the final day, even final practice day is £55, shame they're not allowing people to pay at the gate on the day, not sure if you can pay on the day for the practice round(s) either.
#Sausages

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4751 on: April 5, 2023, 04:23:00 pm »
The DP World Tour is making "no comment" on reports it has won its arbitration case against LIV players.

England's Ian Poulter and Lee Westwood were among 13 LIV players appealing against £100,000 fines and potential suspensions imposed for defying the refusal of a waiver to play LIV events.

The Times claims the DP World Tour has won and can sanction those who play in conflicting events without permission.

Arbitration body Sporting Resolutions is yet to deliver its verdict.

The three-strong panel heard five days of arguments from lawyers for the LIV players and the DP World Tour behind closed doors in February.

The Times reports that the ruling is likely to be published on Thursday, the first day of this year's Masters.

If the case goes their way LIV players may face bans from the European tour and Ryder Cup.

A spokesperson for the DP World Tour said: "Out of respect for the confidentiality of the process conducted by Sport Resolutions, we will make no comment on any aspect of the arbitration until the decision is formally announced."

The case arose after players requested "conflicting event" releases from the DP World Tour to play last June's inaugural LIV Golf event near London.

The requests were denied and those that competed at Centurion Golf Club were fined £100,000 and banned from the Scottish Open. Poulter, Adrian Otaegui and Justin Harding were the first to appeal against the decision and the punishments were stayed pending a substantive appeal, allowing the players to compete in DP World Tour events. Otaegui went on to win the Andalucia Masters in October.

The number of appellants grew to 16, but Sergio Garcia, Charl Schwartzel and Branden Grace withdrew from the case.

The PGA Tour is involved in a separate anti-trust lawsuit with LIV Golf and a handful of its players who were suspended for playing on the Saudi Arabia-funded circuit.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4752 on: April 5, 2023, 05:21:15 pm »

Just a follow up 4pool on the above, one of those touts who offer Master packages at 15k a pop is actually the official travel company of the PGA. Not exactly hiding in the shadows these touts as obviously have a connection with Augusta via the PGA to allow them to sell these overpriced packages.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4753 on: April 5, 2023, 05:39:27 pm »
Interesting changes at Augusta to the 13th, tee box has been moved back, it's now 545 yards [think it was 510 yards]  most will go with driver for the tee shot, but second shot is now more interesting, & trickier, long iron or maybe hybrid, won't see as many making the 13th green in 2, as you used too.
#Sausages

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4754 on: April 5, 2023, 07:18:53 pm »
Sitting in the Atlanta airport as we speak, on my way back to Texas. Got to attend yesterday’s practice round at Augusta with one of my best friends. A genuinely incredible experience, there really is no place like Augusta during Masters week. Makes me all the more excited for the tournament.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4755 on: April 5, 2023, 07:43:19 pm »
Sitting in the Atlanta airport as we speak, on my way back to Texas. Got to attend yesterday’s practice round at Augusta with one of my best friends. A genuinely incredible experience, there really is no place like Augusta during Masters week. Makes me all the more excited for the tournament.

Could you take your cell phone in or just cameras for the practice round?

I know both are banned from the tournament proper.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4756 on: April 5, 2023, 07:51:01 pm »
Bubba with an Ace there

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4757 on: April 5, 2023, 07:52:56 pm »
Could you take your cell phone in or just cameras for the practice round?

I know both are banned from the tournament proper.

No cell phones allowed but cameras are allowed Monday-Wednesday, so I bought a disposable camera before the trip and took pictures with that thing like it was 2003.  ;D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4758 on: April 5, 2023, 07:54:28 pm »
Warm and dry Thursday and Friday 26c+, but a rapid cooling and damp weekend. Sat may not get above 12c. An advantage for the Northern Europeans?  ;)

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4759 on: April 5, 2023, 08:00:11 pm »
No cell phones allowed but cameras are allowed Monday-Wednesday, so I bought a disposable camera before the trip and took pictures with that thing like it was 2003.  ;D

Ta..  :thumbup