Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 29481 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« on: February 25, 2017, 01:01:04 pm »
Surprised there isn't a thread about this one yet, as it's not just looking like a GOTY contender, but a contender for one of the best games ever created, if not the best, if you're to judge from the pedigree it comes from.

Edge Magazine have reviewed the game and given it a score of 10/10.

Roll on next weekend. All other things can wait.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 02:18:43 pm »
I should have preordered this.

Still, I haven't got time to play it :(
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 02:30:36 pm »
Never played a single Zelda game, are they that good?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 02:57:32 pm »
Never played a single Zelda game, are they that good?
Yep. They're that good. As far as pure game design goes, they put most games to shame, and I'm not even talking about the newer ones either. The way some of the dungeons are constructed makes you feel as if you're solving a giant rubik's cube from the inside out.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:07:06 pm »
Sounds good.
I may take a dip on the new Nintendo console, if I understood correctly they plan to release old hit games from previous platforms as digital purchases?
I don't really have too much time for gaming these days, so using it as a handheld would be a great option to have on my commute.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
Edge's review footnote.

" The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven't felt for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that feels so mind-bogglingly vast and unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything. Few, if any, ever deliver so irresistibly. 19 years on Ocarina is still held up as the high water mark of gamings best loved and greatest series. Now it may have to settle for second place".

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:23:09 pm »
I would be all over it if it were on PS4, but I'm not buying a Switch just to play it at the moment. Might take me 12-18 months to get there but I'm sure I'll buy one eventually, I loved the N64 Zelda games, some of my best gaming memories ever on those two games.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 07:26:17 pm »
bit expensive, paying over £300 to play one game :)

i might pick up a switch when/if it ends up with a number of must have games
STFU and agree with me.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 07:28:13 pm »
I would be all over it if it were on PS4, but I'm not buying a Switch just to play it at the moment. Might take me 12-18 months to get there but I'm sure I'll buy one eventually, I loved the N64 Zelda games, some of my best gaming memories ever on those two games.

i might pick up a switch when/if it ends up with a number of must have games

It is a shame that it sounds like such a great game and not that many people are going to actually play it.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:06:52 pm »
Only the 19th game edge have gave a 10/10 to.

I never played ocarina of time in the 64 and my first experience of zelda was Twilight Princess on the wii. I didn't get that far into it, not sure why really but just didn't click with me.

Needless to say I can't justify picking a Switch up for a game where one of its predecessors left me feeling decidedly average about it.

Sure fans of the series are in for a treat though.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 08:49:31 pm »
Not gonna buy the Switch at that price with so few worthwhile games. Will keep an eye out for it in future though
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 09:10:57 pm »
Basically the same as everyone else on this. It looks awesome but at the same time until Nintendo start putting out some great titles again then I can't really justify the price of getting a Switch. Maybe it's something to consider but I feel by the time they amass the titles to make it worthwhile I'll probably be spending my moneys on a PS5.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 09:13:01 pm »
I love Zelda but I'm not sold on the hardware unfortunately. At the moment the Switch looks more Wii U than N64 to me.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 10:27:07 pm »

It is.. and yet.. That's basically what I'm planning to do. I've played all of them except Wind Waker (never owned a GC or Wii u :( ) and playing through them is not just a few hours of entertainment but a real memorable experience. I can't afford to buy it at the moment but hoping to get it before the end of the year

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 12:56:18 pm »
Coming out on Wii U isn't it?  Will pick up a cheap second hand console with this.  I've still yet to play skyward sword also.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 03:02:49 pm »
Coming out on Wii U isn't it?  Will pick up a cheap second hand console with this.  I've still yet to play skyward sword also.

I think you can play nearly all of the main ones on Wii U, I've got Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Link to the Past. Still havent finished WW to be honest.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 03:35:35 pm »
It may require a loving personal Zelda history to be 10/10.

Not saying that to knock it at all, because the same goes for so many great things which work their real, deep magic by building upon a legacy and a sacred space formed in people's hearts from a young age, and carried throughout their lives into adulthood.

Also curious how many features of the Switch it utilises; HD Rumble and so on. If it's a very immersive, enchanting experience that also does some very new things very well, fair play.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 11:02:32 am »
Small update from the french press: the reviewer from Le Monde thinks Breath of the Wild is better than Witcher 3.

Looks like Nintendo have done it again.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:10 am »
Small update from the french press: the reviewer from Le Monde thinks Breath of the Wild is better than Witcher 3.

Looks like Nintendo have done it again.
I would say that while they're both coexisting within the same broad genre space, they're also clearly both trying to do very, very different things with their immersive fantasy worlds, so that smacks more than a little of some apples & oranges type shiz to me.

If this Zelda is full of uncompromisingly bleak, grimy, complex interpersonal drama and hard-boiled political intrigue just beneath the beautiful Studio Ghibli-esque surface, then colour me impressed!  ;D

(not suggesting a fantastical adventure ever has to be anything like that; this looks lovely)

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 02:28:21 pm »
I would say that while they're both coexisting within the same broad genre space, they're also clearly both trying to do very, very different things with their immersive fantasy worlds, so that smacks more than a little of some apples & oranges type shiz to me.

If this Zelda is full of uncompromisingly bleak, grimy, complex interpersonal drama and hard-boiled political intrigue just beneath the beautiful Studio Ghibli-esque surface, then colour me impressed!  ;D

(not suggesting a fantastical adventure ever has to be anything like that; this looks lovely)
Political, emotional, angst driven complex storylines in games can be great and all that, but once in a while you need a game to be a videogame, and that's what Nintendo does best. They come out with masterpieces like this that remind you why you play games to begin with. Personally speaking a game has to be a game first and foremost. If I wanted a complex narrative, I'd read a novel. Witcher 3 is a great game, but I just felt it was too bogged down in it's own lore rather than game design. It was a chore to play at times due to it playing like an interactive novel, which it essentially is.

3 reviews in so far, one from a notoriously hard-nosed German mag called Gamepro, and they gave it 94 percent. They've only ever gave one game a higher score than that, and that was 95% for GTA IV.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 02:38:58 pm »
I know, I was saying because of that it's a flawed comparison, it's not like for like.

People will not be looking for the same things from Zelda as they would The Witcher, and vice versa. So 'better' is very debatable, because one is providing something you don't want but others do, and the one you are into doesn't provide them with that. They're far from direct competitors, so you'd have to qualify what exactly aout it is superior; as a blanket statement it's a bit daft.

It's almost like saying PES 2017 is better than Ni no Kuni, or something. There's lots of grass in both of them, and a Welsh thing with a stupid face

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 02:42:34 pm »
Political, emotional, angst driven complex storylines in games can be great and all that, but once in a while you need a game to be a videogame, and that's what Nintendo does best. They come out with masterpieces like this that remind you why you play games to begin with. Personally speaking a game has to be a game first and foremost. If I wanted a complex narrative, I'd read a novel. Witcher 3 is a great game, but I just felt it was too bogged down in it's own lore rather than game design. It was a chore to play at times due to it playing like an interactive novel, which it essentially is.

3 reviews in so far, one from a notoriously hard-nosed German mag called Gamepro, and they gave it 94 percent. They've only ever gave one game a higher score than that, and that was 95% for GTA IV.

I did the same with Witcher 3.  Lost interest

GTA IV highest rated game with Gamepro is so disappointing.  Edge gave that 10/10 as well but GTA IV was a let down.

Nintendo have many faults and I get annoyed with them all the time but they are still the only ones who get me excited like I was a kid again when new software and Hardware is released.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 04:11:02 pm »
Nintendo certainly do know how to make a game, I'll give them that.

They just need to catch up everywhere else.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 04:40:57 pm »

And interesting hardware too that directly influences how a game is made. You don't need a bizillion gigaflops to produce a good game. The entire industry, and gamers as a whole, have become overly concerned with all that nonsense. "Here, have a look at the hairs moving on Nathan Drake's chest!" Yeah, great! Technically, the hardware spec of the Switch and Wii U is over a decade old, but yet look what Nintendo is doing with it. The games might not have the veneer of certain graphical features, but they have it where it counts, and where large swaths of the industry have neglected for a long time now, and thats in game design. Resident Evil 7 is a perfect example of taking something back near two decades in terms of design, because it wasn't broken then, and it certainly isn't now. It's telling of an industry where games from 20 years ago can be still held up as a benchmark, not because of their visuals, but because of how they played.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 04:40:58 pm »

Thing is if this was purely just a handheld I think the reaction would be different.  Its a beast for a handheld and there isn't much more they could do power wise unless people want a device which lasts 30 mins before dying.

Part of me wishes they would make a home console which was really powerful but I'm not convinced it would be a success. 

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 04:46:08 pm »
And interesting hardware too that directly influences how a game is made. You don't need a bizillion gigaflops to produce a good game. The entire industry, and gamers as a whole, have become overly concerned with all that nonsense. "Here, have a look at the hairs moving on Nathan Drake's chest!" Yeah, great! Technically, the hardware spec of the Switch and Wii U is over a decade old, but yet look what Nintendo is doing with it. The games might not have the veneer of certain graphical features, but they have it where it counts, and where large swaths of the industry have neglected for a long time now, and thats in game design. Resident Evil 7 is a perfect example of taking something back near two decades in terms of design, because it wasn't broken then, and it certainly isn't now. It's telling of an industry where games from 20 years ago can be still held up as a benchmark, not because of their visuals, but because of how they played.

I mean, yeah, that's all fine. But the fact is, if they came out tomorrow and said, 'We have this new system that you can play all of our great and unique games like Mario and Zelda on, and it's as powerful as the PS4 so you can also play your CODs and FIFAs'. It would literally sell out in minutes.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 04:49:17 pm »
I mean, yeah, that's all fine. But the fact is, if they came out tomorrow and said, 'We have this new system that you can play all of our great and unique games like Mario and Zelda on, and it's as powerful as the PS4 so you can also play your CODs and FIFAs'. It would literally sell out in minutes.

The problem being that a powerful Nintendo home console will still not mean they will get all the third party support.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 04:50:34 pm »
Thing is if this was purely just a handheld I think the reaction would be different.  Its a beast for a handheld and there isn't much more they could do power wise unless people want a device which lasts 30 mins before dying.

Part of me wishes they would make a home console which was really powerful but I'm not convinced it would be a success. 
The N64 and Gamecube were technically powerhouses, at least compared to their competitors at the time, if you exclude the original Xbox. If anything, they took a leaf out of Sony's book by putting out a weaker spec system. Where Nintendo has fucked up is not with it's hardware. The Wii proved that. It's the games, ironically enough, or lack of them. The N64 started great for the first year or two, and then gradually fizzled out as its games dried up, otherwise it would have lasted a bit longer.

The early signs for the Switch point to the same mistakes that Nintendo have been making in the past, but that's not to say they can't pull the thing out of a hole, if its even in one that is. I think they need to consolidate all their back catalogue for both handheld and console and make them available at reasonable prices. Do that, and the Switch will be a massive success.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »
The problem being that a powerful Nintendo home console will still not mean they will get all the third party support.

Surely couldn't be that bad? They used to do Call of Duty on the DS, and the Switch is going to have FIFA, it's just going to be the ps3/360 version because it's not powerful enough.

I can't imagine third parties not wanting to make games for a powerful Nintendo console.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 04:57:19 pm »
Surely couldn't be that bad? They used to do Call of Duty on the DS, and the Switch is going to have FIFA, it's just going to be the ps3/360 version because it's not powerful enough.

I can't imagine third parties not wanting to make games for a powerful Nintendo console.
I don't think them wanting to make games for the weaker spec should be an issue. If anything, that's a draw on its own. It cuts production costs down, and if the Switch has a big attatch rate, then that's what attracts devs, not hardware. The thing is, do they want to create unique and exclusive titles for Switch? I'm more interested in that than just having them port  technically inferior looking games from lead platforms. No thanks.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 1, 2017, 08:14:18 pm »
Another review. A perfect score from Famitsu.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #31 on: March 1, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »
I was kind of hoping this would be a disappointment so I wouldn't feel as though I'm missing out. By all accounts it sounds incredible though.

God knows how I'm going to stay spoiler free until I eventually get it.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 2, 2017, 11:31:32 am »
Damn these reviews are killing it.

IGN 10/10
Gamespot 10/10
GiantBomb 5/5
GameRadar 10/10
Polygon 10/10

Move over Ocarina of Time I think you may have finally been surpassed.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 2, 2017, 12:18:44 pm »
All being well, my copy arrives tomorrow. Some of the reviews have had me close to tears - and I appreciate that sounds weird. If you're in here, you're a Zelda fan and like me you'll probably feel a combination of relief and joy that it's everything you wanted and more.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 2, 2017, 12:33:45 pm »
I bought the game for the Wii U, and I don't even own a Wii U (that's the benefit of having a few nephews). Should be here tomorrow. It's been a very, very long time that I've felt as eager to get my hands on a game. Ocarina of Time still holds up today, and it was made 20 years ago. By all accounts, BoTW has surpassed it, and that means one thing: it's a straight masterpiece. Hopefully Nintendo does the same thing with the new Mario title. The Switch will be like the N64 all over again.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #35 on: March 2, 2017, 07:30:32 pm »
Watched the giantbomb quicklook, not even a Zelda fan as such but i feel a little less enthusiastic now about getting stuck into Horizon Zero Dawn this weekend.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 2, 2017, 07:31:17 pm »
Want.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 2, 2017, 09:08:35 pm »
Watched the giantbomb quicklook, not even a Zelda fan as such but i feel a little less enthusiastic now about getting stuck into Horizon Zero Dawn this weekend.
It's a pity, because that game does look amazing. BoTW just came out and stole its thunder. If it weren't for BoTW releasing at the same time, I'd be far more interested in H:ZD, but as it is, it takes a back seat. It's excellent though that it'll be out there cheaper when I'm done with Zelda.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #38 on: March 3, 2017, 03:35:21 pm »
It is.. and yet.. That's basically what I'm planning to do. I've played all of them except Wind Waker (never owned a GC or Wii u :( ) and playing through them is not just a few hours of entertainment but a real memorable experience. I can't afford to buy it at the moment but hoping to get it before the end of the year

was wind waker for GC? If so get a 2nd hand one, ridiculously cheap entertainment for wind waker and super mario sunshine alone.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 3, 2017, 03:52:52 pm »
Strangely this runs at 30fps portable and 20fps docked.

Must be a heck of a game to run at 20fps and be so highly rated.