Author Topic: PlayStation VR  (Read 36230 times)

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: PlayStation VR
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2017, 01:19:46 pm »
yeah that's kind of what i meant, was on my phone so don't like typing long posts on it, normal video looks fine on it but why use the headset to watch it? it's the stuff that's been specially made for vr that doesn't look great, might also be the fact it's streamed so they've kept the bitrate down

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2017, 04:56:34 pm »
yeah that's kind of what i meant, was on my phone so don't like typing long posts on it, normal video looks fine on it but why use the headset to watch it? it's the stuff that's been specially made for vr that doesn't look great, might also be the fact it's streamed so they've kept the bitrate down
A lot of it is down to the VR video requiring more information, and thus bigger file sizes, so they chop the quality down. It's counter intuitive to do that because it defeats the purpose. Anything below a native 1080p resolution looks horrendous and breaks the immersion. There are some decent quality 360 degree videos on there, though. I watched a space shuttle launch one, and it was fairly good. Not great, but good, and the sense of vertigo I got when the camera was up high was great, so there's definitely a capability there, it's just shoddy content making its way onto it.

Sony really need to be careful with that, because it doesn't just apply to the videos, it's the games too. There's too many half-arsed attempts and shovelware being sold for ridiculous prices when half of it should actually be free. Just because it's new technology, devs think they can rip the balls out of it by releasing any old shite and charge for the privilege. They need to understand that VR is niche and it's back to basics like it was in the early days of gaming. Get content out there to experiment with what works and what doesn't. Get the feedback, and then go off and produce an effort based on that, then ask for money. Greed and lack of quality control could cripple the platform if they aren't careful.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2017, 10:26:55 am »
Are most of the games for this also in 3D?
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2017, 10:55:32 am »
Are most of the games for this also in 3D?

Well VR simulates 3D environments, but the game's don't output in 3d on a TV set no, only through the headset.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2017, 03:50:30 pm »
Dirt Rally gonna be coming to PSVR, that should be alot of fun. Hopefully the res is better than drive club

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2017, 05:12:21 pm »
Dirt runs on the older Ego Engine, yet it still looks great. I can see it being a perfect fit for VR. Hopefully it's a direct port. The only negative to all these types of games is that they are obviously better experienced with the corresponding peripherals. That's a shit load of wires.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2017, 05:46:22 pm »
elite dangerous was confirmed for ps4 last month, no date but supposed to be q2, they've not mentioned vr but considering it has vr mode on pc they'd be mad not to include it, throw in hotas compatibility and i'm sold

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2017, 07:28:39 am »
Got RE 7 yesterday in Qatar boys and girls... you are going shite yourselves.. it's heavy and evil scary shit in VR. Release dates not followed here lol
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:33:42 am by kopite321 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2017, 05:06:05 pm »
Anyone tried Dirt yet?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2017, 05:25:02 pm »
Anyone tried Dirt yet?

Is the retail.verison out with the vr now? Or can you only get it through the add on in the ps store?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2017, 07:03:52 pm »
Is the retail.verison out with the vr now? Or can you only get it through the add on in the ps store?
Physical copy with the VR mode? It is, but I think only in certain regions. It works out cheaper if you buy the hard copy and then get the add-on in the store.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2017, 07:25:48 pm »
Physical copy with the VR mode? It is, but I think only in certain regions. It works out cheaper if you buy the hard copy and then get the add-on in the store.

Do want it and the vr is supposed to be implemented really well but because it's very simmy I'm unsure weather a pad would do it justice, I have a wheel but it's not compatible with ps4.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2017, 04:24:38 pm »
Do want it and the vr is supposed to be implemented really well but because it's very simmy I'm unsure weather a pad would do it justice, I have a wheel but it's not compatible with ps4.
Same for me. I'd the early access PC version, and it was obvious that I needed a wheel, so looked into getting a G27. I never got one, so didn't bother going back to the game because of that. Now that it's VR, though, I think I might just have to go and get myself a G29. If there was going to be one caveat for VR, it would be the need for game specific peripherals. Worth it, though.

What wheel do you have? There's workarounds for older PS3 compatible wheels, but its a bit of a bollox.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: March 2, 2017, 05:01:49 pm »
I am close to impulse buying this on the way home.e from work. I assume you need to buy the camera as well?

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: March 2, 2017, 05:02:40 pm »
Also could you get by on the demos do a bit?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: March 2, 2017, 05:19:07 pm »
Yes, you need a camera.

Demo's will take a good chunk of time to get through, and they'll give you a rough idea of what to expect. I suggest trying something with less movement first, as VR is a different beast to standard gaming and your head won't know what the fuck hit it for the first time. Gotta build up them "VR legs". Some people can be fine with anything, but you don't want to start with something that will make you sick straight away. Try the VR worlds Ocean demo first. Then Kitchen. Then maybe the Final Hour demo. DO NOT go near Here They Lie first. It's bad. And it'll potentially make you throw up. If you do get a little nausea, take a break for 15 minutes then go back. If you do buy one, don't install the demo disc. Instead download it off the store, as it contains more stuff.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 09:12:22 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: March 2, 2017, 05:21:39 pm »
Thanks for tips. Do you need move controllers?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: March 2, 2017, 05:23:49 pm »
Thanks for tips. Do you need move controllers?

Some games make use of them yeah but most can be played with a pad.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: March 2, 2017, 09:14:07 pm »
Yeah, hold off with Move controllers. Those things are being sold at extortionate prices for such old tech. We're talking a PS3 peripheral here. Plus, Sony might end up pulling a shitty move by updating their tracking solution, or even bring out a better hand controller solution, which it needs.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: March 2, 2017, 11:33:29 pm »
Had a go of the ocean demo Headmaster and the block game. I had forgotten your suggestions so will have a go of them tomorrow.

Played for near enough an hour and didn't feel sick at all. It was fairly hard to fit it right so it was blurry.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: March 2, 2017, 11:41:54 pm »
Had a go of the ocean demo Headmaster and the block game. I had forgotten your suggestions so will have a go of them tomorrow.

Played for near enough an hour and didn't feel sick at all. It was fairly hard to fit it right so it was blurry.
Tip for that: put the band, or the halo that goes around your head, high up so that it rests just at the top at the back of your head and not at the middle or the base of the neck, if you know what I mean. You'll find the weight of the headset forces it to sit down more on the bridge of the nose. Not only does it find the sweet spot, but it completely closes off the gap of light that can get in at the bottom of your cheek bones that you might have noticed. Make sure you are using the two release buttons: one at the front under the visor, and one at the back of the halo. The front one slides the visor in and out of your face; whereas the back releases the catch to stretch the band out so that it fits around your head. Tighten it with the round dial a wee bit for a snug fit once you have it focused and you're grand.

Another tip is to make sure you calibrate your headset. Go to your settings in your PS4 and go to devices, select the VR headset, select tracking lights, follow the instructions. Then go to measure eye distance and do what it asks there. Put the reticles in the middle of your pupils and that will adjust the 3d clarity a bit.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: March 3, 2017, 12:01:37 am »
Sound like I was doing it wrong going by that. Do you mean the front of the halo high on your head and back of it low?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: March 3, 2017, 12:19:38 am »
Sound like I was doing it wrong going by that. Do you mean the front of the halo high on your head and back of it low?
The ring part that goes around your head. Not the actual visor.

Roughly around that part of the head on the girl. Don't put it below, because the front end tends to tilt up exposing a gap at the bottom of the rubber gasket that's meant to block out the light. From that position you can sort of fiddle about with the front so that it sits flush with your forehead and face.

One other thing: be sure there are no lights near you when playing, as it can confuse the camera and cause drifting. Drifting is bad news for motion sickness. Don't occlude the lights on the headset either, otherwise you'll get the world shifting around when you are in there, and that can really fuck your shit up. Try have someone stand in front of you when you're playing and you'll see what I mean. The darker the room, the better.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 12:27:46 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 9, 2017, 03:16:23 pm »
would really love a flight simulator game for this. anyone know if there's anything close to that at all ?

Online FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: June 9, 2017, 05:18:03 pm »
not yet, well apart from eagle flight but it's not a flight sim

elite dangerous comes out in a few weeks on ps4 if you like space flight sims, no vr confirmed yet but it's supported on pc and they're looking into it, if it can be done then they'd be pretty stupid not to no, then there's ace combat 7 which isn't out until next year

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2017, 03:41:09 pm »
What do people think of the games shown for PSVR at the press conference - I thought there were a couple of interesting ones, but on the whole VR gaming still seems slightly underwhelming.  Some brief comments I have on a couple of them:

1)  Moss - this looks adorable, reminded me of the Redwall books I read as a kid, so will keep an eye on that

2)  The Inpatient - looked interesting, but the bit that piqued my interest was the fact it was made by SuperMassive games, who did Until Dawn, so hopefully this will have the same horror movie vibe that UD did

3)  Final Fantasy Fishing - thought it was the biggest troll of E3, and found the reaction online quite funny, but have zero interest in the game

4)  Skyrim VR - juist for the love of god stop Bethesda, we get it, you know you can print money by re-releasing Skyrim on anything, but please, just stop

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2017, 03:57:44 pm »
Still waiting for Ace Combat me

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2017, 12:38:30 am »
What do people think of the games shown for PSVR at the press conference - I thought there were a couple of interesting ones, but on the whole VR gaming still seems slightly underwhelming.  Some brief comments I have on a couple of them:

1)  Moss - this looks adorable, reminded me of the Redwall books I read as a kid, so will keep an eye on that

2)  The Inpatient - looked interesting, but the bit that piqued my interest was the fact it was made by SuperMassive games, who did Until Dawn, so hopefully this will have the same horror movie vibe that UD did

3)  Final Fantasy Fishing - thought it was the biggest troll of E3, and found the reaction online quite funny, but have zero interest in the game

4)  Skyrim VR - juist for the love of god stop Bethesda, we get it, you know you can print money by re-releasing Skyrim on anything, but please, just stop
I was very pleased to see Sony dedicate an entire section of their show to VR. There might have been a load of groaners in the audience (who haven't tried any kind of VR yet - but fuck em. It's still in its very infancy, so to see it actually receive the support its getting is encouraging rather than underwhelming. It's something that's very, very tricky to sell, because in this day and age, gamers all seem to want pretty graphics. 1080p 60fps is so 2014! Now its 60fps and 4k, otherwise fuck off. Whenever you show off a VR game, its obviously impossible to get that level of clarity with all the bells and whistles, so a VR game will often look old hat and shoddy, which most are in fairness, but only because the design is still very much experimental, and it reminds me of the early days of gaming. You can convey what VR does on a flat screen, so most come away unimpressed with whats shown. Like the Matrix, you can't be told what it is. You have to see it for yourself. It'll be a long slog before it filters into general consumer consciousness as something that is a "must have"., but its been a good start for it, and it's not going anywhere soon.

I've always maintained that older last gen titles (even beyond that) would translate best over into VR, if not solely for the purpose to breath brand new life into titles you've previously experience, but nothing like what VR can do. It's no exaggeration that games like RE7 were completely ruined for me on a standard TV. Played that in VR first, then played a little of it on the standard (and better looking) version, and there was zero comparison. It wasn't even like playing the same game. Playing that in VR put me there, in that house, and it physically affected me like nothing else I'd played. To be literally terrified beyond belief to take a couple of steps into a room, it's a game changer. Sooner or later, gamers will have to come to terms with that fact.

The way I see VR going forward is how Sony is handling it. They're being very smart about it. Incorporating VR 'experiences' into standard games is the way to go. At least for the time being. Not only is it supporting VR, but increasing the exposure. Some might be disappointed by the bite size, tacked on nature of some of these modes, but its better than nothing. VR won't replace standard gaming as some games just don't work very well with it, but it should be placed side-by-side with it eventually by exactly what Sony is doing.

Have to disagree with you on this. Why is the release of Skyrim in VR a problem? It doesn't matter how many versions or remasters have come before it. The point I made above about VR transforming a game is true. It's not just another re-release. It's a VR release, and that is a huge difference. I've seen Skyrim in a VR flythrough video, and I can tell you it's absolutely gobsmacking. To see the scale of these places you're familiar with from the standard game is something worth revisiting for, even if you are asked to pay for it again. Whenever I first watched Carmack showcase Doom 3 on a ad-hoc clunky VR system that he strapped together with duct tape,  one of the first games I thought of and wanted to play on it was Skyrim. Now its a reality.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:51:29 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2017, 01:01:29 am »
Although I don't bring it out particularly frequently, and despite something of a lack of properly great titles for it currently, it never fails to feel like I'm going on a theme park ride of sort as I pop that headset on. The (nice!) smell of the interior rubber has embedded itself into my mind, creating a Pavlovian "ooooooh here we go" sensation each time I catch it.

Even without running a masterpiece of a game through it, it's still an enjoyably different feeling to playing videogames the traditional way... and if you aren't playing games for how they make you feel, why are you? The pooh-poohers are poo-poo.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2017, 01:13:29 am »
You like the rubber smell? I hate it. My brain associates that smell with when I feel nausea. I wipe it down with something that smells more appealing.

You're right about that "theme park" kind of feeling. It gives you that kind of interaction that makes you apprehensive. Its often short, but sweet. Just like an actual theme park attraction, staying too long makes your bored, but giving it a rest and coming back gives you that feeling all over again. 

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2017, 01:25:40 am »
You like the rubber smell? I hate it. My brain associates that smell with when I feel nausea. I wipe it down with something that smells more appealing.
I do, might just be me being a bit weird though. It's not a conventionally pleasing smell, granted, but it's very specific to the PSVR headset, and interesting to my nose. I really like the smell of 'clean' dirt/soil as well though (not with dogshit on it, lolz), and the ozone in the air after a storm... these things are triggers for a tinge of childlike excitement in my heart, like the smell of the pages of new detective puzzle books my mum would buy me when I was little. May they never leave me.

Offline D0GFACE

• "..... there'snoplacelikehome ..... there'snoplacelikehome ....."
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2017, 03:04:17 pm »
Just got my hands on all the vr gear and most of the best games,  farpoint with the aim controller is just immense. A few more fps like that and I'll be well pleased.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2017, 06:46:21 am »
Just got my hands on all the vr gear and most of the best games,  farpoint with the aim controller is just immense. A few more fps like that and I'll be well pleased.

Ya its a blast... :-)  got to be played with the aim controller... had a few of the lads around from work and based on this game and RE7 one of them purchased a Pro and the PSVR kit in one spending spree last week. That's about four people I know who have purchased based on actual experience of the PSVR.

The is no doubt that actual experience of V.R is better then any adverts... difficult one for the Sony advertisers to solve this.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2017, 10:07:18 pm »
Ya its a blast... :-)  got to be played with the aim controller... had a few of the lads around from work and based on this game and RE7 one of them purchased a Pro and the PSVR kit in one spending spree last week. That's about four people I know who have purchased based on actual experience of the PSVR.

The is no doubt that actual experience of V.R is better then any adverts... difficult one for the Sony advertisers to solve this.
It's a difficult one for VR in general, but in the long run, VR will gradually take hold and become mainstream. In fact, I'll be as bold as saying that it'll be just as influential and a part of our lives as much as the modern smart phone currently is, if not more. The two will meet in the middle at some stage. At the moment it's all about content and it's the same way that 4k is, and the two are linked. Most people now look at both with a view that they are both useless or a fad gimmick. That's usually down to a lack of understanding or education on why both technologies will need to mature and then eventually merge into a product that will be a must have. Broadband speeds and micro storage SSD's will also be instrumental in the success of VR.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2017, 05:58:09 am »
The main problem for me is with many fine concepts just not getting realised well enough as full games. A recent release, Theseus, has so bloody much going for it as a teasing demo for a properly brillant, unusual, highly atmospheric and historical/mythological interest-sparking VR adventure... but as an actual game, it apparently leaves a lot to be desired, and that's being very kind.

Too many intriguing gameplay or presentation premises being let down by a distinct lack of polish (usually controls and player-agency-wise, rather than visual), thoughtful game design, and/or unsatisfying length. These games don't need to be anywhere near as lengthy as standard-view AAA titles - in fact it's impractical for the medium and in many cases undesirable - but they do need to pack their condensed runtime with distinctive content and fun, explorative interactivity, and at the end of it you should feel quite satisfied... you might well crave some more, but only in the sense that you've just been through an intense/wonder-filled/amusing and memorable experience with a fitting climax, and want to relive the journey. Not in the "is that it all then?" sense.

To me, the format seems tailor-made for multiple endings (and middles, and beginnings!!) and therefore numerous playthroughs of a reasonably bitesize journey, whenever you feel like jumping aboard again, rather than all in one sitting. Environmental storytelling is an absolute must, and important plot & character things should be left to the player's observational skills and exploration instincts to reveal. You're in the world, you don't need everything explained to you level by level like you're thick as shit and could never work it out for yourself by finding the skeletons half-buried in the basement or whatever. There's a lot of understandable moaning about handholding in the gameplay of modern titles, but I find handholding even more annoying when it comes to storytelling.

Exotic (terrestrial or otherwise) adventure and purist stealth are two (intermingling) genres that can absolutely come into their own in VR, so the strong focus on first-person on-rails shooters and suchlike should defo be dialled back a bit. Resi 7 is the best execution of a proper VR game concept I've seen so far, but the horror theme is probably getting overplayed a bit too - do it amazingly well, and there are no complaints, but a bunch of conveyor-belt jump-scary 'experiences' are only going to make players jaded.

A stylish intergalactic exploration & discovery game in the mould of No Man's Sky would be so boss in VR, but obv with much, much more novelty and gameplay variety to offer. The sheer loneliness of no direct multiplayer interaction wouldn't be an issue (actually, it could kinda be the whole point) as long as the AI was top-notch. The beautiful/hostile planet and galaxy-hopping, tilting your head to look up at the night sky, seeing the moon and knowing "I can land on that"; proper trade routes to exploit one way or another, and a wealth of diverse missions to embark upon; genuinely surprising and interesting interactions with other lifeforms, and deeply mysterious archaelogical discoveries; a real sense of reward and recognition for intrepidly setting out and seeking new things. Essentially a meta reflection of what this early-adoption modern VR gaming period itself is all about, both for the players and developers.  :D

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2017, 12:59:47 am »
That's a fair and good assessment, Haemo.

However, this line stood out "Resi 7 is the best execution of a proper VR game concept", and the reason why explains most of what you've been saying, ironically.

RE7 isn't a wholly "proper" VR concept. In fact, it's not a VR concept at all. It's a tacked on mode that just so happened to work incredibly well because of three things: the premise of the game being horror, it's perspective, and the fact that it's a proper big budget game designed first and foremost to be played in a traditional manner. It's execution in VR is actually pretty half baked in terms of VR mechanics, and as far as that goes, it's not even realising the full potential of VR, which in fact is a very positive thing considering how well the game actually immersed you in that environment.

The reason why a lot of these concepts feel so rushed or poorly realised is for numerous reasons, mostly down to the risk factor of devs not wanting to splash big money on something that could potentially bankrupt a studio in one fell swoop. VR is still very much niche, and so the industry is still fully entrenched in it's traditions, and the priority - and will be for some time - will be traditional game development to be played on a standard TV. This is why Capcom have provided a blueprint for the way to go with VR moving forward. It'll be a gradual incline of progression. Sort of like how videogames initially sprang out from the arcades as a niche market in the late 70's to mid 80's where there it ran into a brick wall in failing to find that one killer application that would kickstart it all like taking a spark to dry tinder. That just so happened to be a certain Italian plumber and a now Japanese giant that started out making and selling playing cards. VR might certainly stutter, but sooner or later, someone will take that risk required, perhaps when the technology is more mature, and that "must have" app will make it take off, and that app might not even be what we all think, in that it might not even be a traditional video game.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:02:23 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2017, 01:34:16 am »
No thank you...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/toSgPXORF0Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/toSgPXORF0Q</a>
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2017, 10:38:14 am »
That's a fair and good assessment, Haemo.

However, this line stood out "Resi 7 is the best execution of a proper VR game concept", and the reason why explains most of what you've been saying, ironically.

RE7 isn't a wholly "proper" VR concept. In fact, it's not a VR concept at all. It's a tacked on mode that just so happened to work incredibly well because of three things: the premise of the game being horror, it's perspective, and the fact that it's a proper big budget game designed first and foremost to be played in a traditional manner. It's execution in VR is actually pretty half baked in terms of VR mechanics, and as far as that goes, it's not even realising the full potential of VR, which in fact is a very positive thing considering how well the game actually immersed you in that environment.

The reason why a lot of these concepts feel so rushed or poorly realised is for numerous reasons, mostly down to the risk factor of devs not wanting to splash big money on something that could potentially bankrupt a studio in one fell swoop. VR is still very much niche, and so the industry is still fully entrenched in it's traditions, and the priority - and will be for some time - will be traditional game development to be played on a standard TV. This is why Capcom have provided a blueprint for the way to go with VR moving forward. It'll be a gradual incline of progression. Sort of like how videogames initially sprang out from the arcades as a niche market in the late 70's to mid 80's where there it ran into a brick wall in failing to find that one killer application that would kickstart it all like taking a spark to dry tinder. That just so happened to be a certain Italian plumber and a now Japanese giant that started out making and selling playing cards. VR might certainly stutter, but sooner or later, someone will take that risk required, perhaps when the technology is more mature, and that "must have" app will make it take off, and that app might not even be what we all think, in that it might not even be a traditional video game.
Oh, I agree with most of that - what I meant with Resi 7 being the best execution of a "proper" game concept working in VR is that however it's played, it's pretty much all about quiet tension and "what's lurking behind me?" perturbing atmosphere, with occasional action flashpoints. No other AAA PSVR title (there are very few) has pulled its intentions off so well, and the clear intentions of Resi 7 were to have it work in both VR and traditional formats. That's a 'proper' VR concept, because most VR games are not trying to be simultaneously immersive both in and out of VR, in fact most of then can't even be played without VR.

Game construction concepts like those are far more valuable than less effective VR-only titles, because it naturally broadens the audience, tempting those who love it to try out its VR mode the full game through, and the VR improves the intended experience so few who do that will be left unsatisfied. I don't agree that it's half-baked as such, just that the compromises made to have it working both ways don't significantly affect its enjoyability, and in fact the very limited VR-world mechanics help it by making you feel constricted and less powerful, which suits the setting down to the ground.

There is no other 'big' game out for PSVR which has executed its VR atmospheric envelopment as well, and the entire thing is playable that way too, which is looking increasingly unusual for a 'hybrid' title. I don't personally see it as a 'tacked-on' feature; in fact rather than being "designed first and foremost to be played in a traditional manner", I think it's been designed from the ground up with both modes fully in mind, and with VR mode actually being the best experience of the whole work. I doesn't need to realise the full potential of VR mechanically (or even in terms of visuals - the 'dodgy' grainy, unclean low-res look totally works for it), because a very specifically atmospheric environmental immersion, including the old video effects and such, was its main (you could even go as far as to say sole) aim.

To be honest, if you read that sentence again, I was actually just using Resi to blend into saying that despite it being the most effective VR game overall that I've personally experienced so far (with its horror theme being central to that effectiveness), if VR horror 'experiences' keep getting pumped out at a disproportionate rate to other promising genres, with their very basically creepy settings and spooky sounds and the obligatory frequent jump scares, it's gona become a bit tiresome for players. It was essentially an argument for more thoughtful gaming applications of VR going forward, not just across more varied game genres, but for the VR horror genre itself to be more varied and innovative rather than just derivative of what is perceived to 'work' as a VR horror experience. A slew of imitators will dilute rather than strengthen the appeal of VR horror.

I do think the embracing of PSVR has been slower than it could/should have been, because most decent titles out there are plucky little indies; the full PSVR blockbuster shelf is pretty bare almost a year on. Most AAA studios have only dipped the tip of their little toe in, with mini VR experiences added to their big names, which is what I personally would call 'tacked-on', not stuff like Resi 7's balls-deep "here you go, have both at the same time!!!11" approach. That tentative feeling needs to give way to a recognition of the vast potential VR affords for sheer historic videogame innovation, with commercial viability concerns taking a little bit of a back seat. Strong PSVR games will shift, but dev studios both big and small need to be brave. The financial risks are many and obvious, but in all of the great emerging popular eras of videogames, from the early 8-bit home console era to the Amiga golden age to the first major wave of fully polygonal-3D games that came along with the disc-loading systems following after the "let's try this out" pioneers a few years earlier, the risk-takers who absolutely smashed it out the park were on the whole rewarded for their efforts, at least in the videogame history books. The first VR pioneers have been around a pretty long time now, so it's up to the next wave of experimenters to build on what I would say are now very sturdy foundations. If indies can make really nifty VR games with hardly any money to play with, and they evidently are, then the sniffier big guns have no real excuse other than being cynical cowardly capitalist pigs.  ;D

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2017, 10:00:16 pm »
When I say "half baked" I mean that in the sense that RE7 could have been so much more in the VR format, because when it comes to VR, presence is something that sells that immersion even more, and when it comes to presence in VR, you need specific mechanics that work with your real life movements to interact with your virtual surroundings to sell your brain on the idea that you are actually there. It's a bit of an untapped frontier for developers at the moment, and they're still figuring that out. Stuff as simple as picking up an object, or having some kind of peripheral like the Aim controller to physically feel like you are holding a weapon and aiming it. Pushing doors open with your hands etc etc. None of this was present in the game, save for a nice little feature that allowed you to tilt and rotate your controller when inspecting objects. The thing they nailed, though, as you say, was the implementation of everything else, so it got half the VR experience right.

If anything, RE7 has shown, and proven, the way forward for the format in that once you play it in VR, the standard traditional way, which ironically was the prime focus for the development of the game, you just can't go back. Playing standard just doesn't compare to the immersion of the VR mode, and it shows just what VR can do to a game, and not just a specific game like a 1st person horror game, but I believe any game can benefit from it, and I'm hoping that some older last gen titles will get a port and a respective price to reflect this just to broaden the library of "proper" developed games that will get a new lease of life breathed into them due to that immersion.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:02:13 pm by Macphisto80 »