Author Topic: Xbox  (Read 307278 times)

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: XBOX 'Durango' Thread
« Reply #40 on: April 5, 2013, 02:59:20 pm »
Another developer also said "I can't confirm or deny always online but all I'll say is make sure you pay your ISP bill". Then there's Kotaku's rumour that it has to be online and can't be offline longer than 3 minutes or it kicks you out of your game, and the similar Edge rumour from a while ago.

Hopefully rumours is all they'll turn out to be, because if it's actually true there's no way I'd buy one.

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #41 on: April 5, 2013, 03:07:21 pm »
I'll be turning in my Xbox Fanboy membership card if any of the above is true regarding always on and non-resellable discs.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 5, 2013, 03:24:55 pm »
The console market isn't ready for this kind of thing. I mean the always online is bizzare because not every 360 owner has the internet, and not everyone who wants the next one won't have the internet, just like the ps3/ps4, wii/wiiu. As far as not being able to trade games go, people talk how steam is a success, and while i'd agree you have to remember that Steam is very much pc orientated right now and the console market is different to the PC market. Steam works on PC, its great. I love it but i still can't download what i like due to speed issues and data usage.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2013, 03:27:17 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 5, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »

This is why microsoft are incompetent tools. Creative director can't even get creative with his twitter responses
This fella has worked twice as long with Sony compared with Microsoft.

The one good thing about this(whether he was trolling or not) is that MS surely realise that the majority of gamers will be livid if they go ahead with a always online policy and MS might decide to not go down the road.

Also I'm dissapointed in the RAWK gaming board. You guys are so slow  :(
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 5, 2013, 04:33:55 pm »
MK. Don't twist it. All too many on here stuck the boot In when it was rumoured the ps4 would have these features. That was debunked,  now the next Xbox is heavily rumoured to have such things we should just go along with it...

I'm not gonna completely judge MS but if the rumours are true then they have a job on next gen. Im inclined to believe the leaks as they were pretty spot on with the ps4.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 5, 2013, 04:40:07 pm »
MK. Don't twist it. All too many on here stuck the boot In when it was rumoured the ps4 would have these features. That was debunked,  now the next Xbox is heavily rumoured to have such things we should just go along with it...
I'm not twisting it. I feel exactly the same way as I did then, I'll be livid at any console manufacturer that tries this. I'm also growing increasingly less confident that we won't see an always online 720.

Btw, this fella has claimed on twitter that he was just trolling.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: April 5, 2013, 04:41:38 pm »
Strange idea really..

Think i'll move over to the playstation if it actually happens

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #47 on: April 5, 2013, 05:16:18 pm »

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #48 on: April 5, 2013, 05:42:55 pm »
I can feel myself leaning towards PS4 and I dont like it :(
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: April 5, 2013, 05:59:33 pm »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 5, 2013, 06:07:19 pm »
https://mobile.twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/320008254841311232

Lololol

Sorry aaron, damage done.
:lmao

He might as well say, " So sorry, no English!"

Give SunhiLegend his dues, bro :P
Just got on GAF a week or so ago. Didn't know him or that it was his work!
« Last Edit: April 5, 2013, 06:11:41 pm by Malaysian Kopite »

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #51 on: April 5, 2013, 06:09:59 pm »
I can feel myself leaning towards PS4 and I dont like it :(

It's a console not a sports team.
:D

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #52 on: April 5, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »
It's a console not a sports team.

Still
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #53 on: April 5, 2013, 06:23:48 pm »
I honestly don't feel Microsoft are this stupid, and even if they were they surely won't go ahead with it due to the backlash currently going on.

Then again, would you take a look at Windows 8.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 5, 2013, 06:28:04 pm »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 5, 2013, 06:56:51 pm »
Ms should just give up making consoles and make controllers for thre PS4 instead

everyone wins
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 6, 2013, 02:52:44 pm »
UPDATE: Microsoft has issued a formal apology for "the inappropriate comments" of Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth in relation to his recent 'always-online' Twitter debate.

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday," said the platform holder in a new statement.
"This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/399581/update-ms-issues-apology-over-orths-inappropriate-always-online-comments/

Also unconfirmed reports that Orth has been sacked.Twitter claims another victim.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #57 on: April 6, 2013, 03:36:46 pm »
Weird that they wouldn't refute the always online bit. As it stands and if they had any sense, Orth could have done them a massive favour - the backlack has been staggering.

Microsoft might just be thinking any publicity is good publicity.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #58 on: April 6, 2013, 06:08:42 pm »
Can't help feeling this will be some sort of marketing gimmick myself. Some sort of viral thing to get everyone up in arms and for M$ to completely dismiss at the reveal. Either way if it's true, then it might be an idea to get the preorders in for PS4 now as it will become probably the most sought after console at release ever.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: April 6, 2013, 06:11:36 pm »
I can see MS making online free to play but you have to be online to play single player games. And then offer a LIVE service that removes the "always on" aspect.

It's the only way they could ever sell Live for next generation, as fucking ridiculous as it is, I can really seeing them trying something like that.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #60 on: April 6, 2013, 06:18:08 pm »
What a tit

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #61 on: April 6, 2013, 06:36:19 pm »
Can't help feeling this will be some sort of marketing gimmick myself. Some sort of viral thing to get everyone up in arms and for M$ to completely dismiss at the reveal. Either way if it's true, then it might be an idea to get the preorders in for PS4 now as it will become probably the most sought after console at release ever.

Hasn't the guy been sacked though? Pretty harsh marketing gimmick if true. The 'leaks' could be from MS though

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #62 on: April 7, 2013, 10:06:28 am »
Hasn't the guy been sacked though? Pretty harsh marketing gimmick if true. The 'leaks' could be from MS though

Unconfirmed.:

Update: 11:43am

Microsoft's PR firm Edelmen has released the following statement concerning Adam Orth's tweets last night:

"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company.  We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

Update: 1:40pm

Sources are telling 4Player that Adam Orth is no longer working for Microsoft. Currently tracking this down further...

...we've confirmed this with one reliable source but not two, and Orth's linkedin has currently shown no movement. We're considering this a high possibility but it currently lacks enough verification for us to confirm at this time.

I don't think he has gone. If anything he would be moved into another role for a few months I think. I expect it to be dismissed at the reveal and everyone is so relieved, that the issue of second hand games not being playable is sort of swept under the carpet with the fanboy wars.

Someone made a good point yesterday though, imagine being stuck  in that opening sequence of God of War III with Poseidon on Titan and then someone turns a torrent on, disconnecting you. You then have to race round pulling the plug and having a quick argue, get back on your console and then sign back in. Ridiculous. Cannot see it happening. At all.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2013, 10:11:43 am by lachesis »

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 7, 2013, 10:42:44 am »
I'd be surprised if always online was a requirement as still a lot of places don't have (reliable) connections [mine is being flakey at the moment] and they'd be losing those sales immediately to Sony. It's possible they've gone this route but it'd be a risky one indeed, for who wants to be kicked out of their game because the Internet has dropped for whatever reason? How about if it's down for a day or two, then no gaming for you...

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #64 on: April 7, 2013, 11:14:25 am »
Someone made a good point yesterday though, imagine being stuck  in that opening sequence of God of War III with Poseidon on Titan and then someone turns a torrent on, disconnecting you. You then have to race round pulling the plug and having a quick argue, get back on your console and then sign back in. Ridiculous. Cannot see it happening. At all.

Not really, always on DRM would require just a few small packets to be sent every few minutes - perhaps up to 30 minutes, though it's rumored to be 3 minutes. We're not talking Gaikai levels of data here.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 7, 2013, 11:51:56 am »
Gamestop speaking favourably of the new Xbox a few days ago suggests that this may just turn out to be a rumour.

Although I suppose it's possible to require always online but allow preowned games?

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #66 on: April 7, 2013, 12:07:08 pm »
They were just using buzz words to drum up interest, why wouldn't they say positive things about any upcoming console? It's all sales for them.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 7, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »
has anyone actually said it requires always online rather than it is always online?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline longball

• scrotum like a letter L
  • Kopite
  • Agora é a hora.
« Reply #68 on: April 7, 2013, 12:58:10 pm »
This popped up a few weeks ago but there was way less of a deal made of it for whatever reason. Would be suicide from MS, Even the fanboys wouldn't back a move like that. Would be completely nonsensical.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 7, 2013, 02:13:13 pm »
They were just using buzz words to drum up interest, why wouldn't they say positive things about any upcoming console? It's all sales for them.
Much of their profits are from pre-owned games right? Although I suppose you've got a good point.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #70 on: April 7, 2013, 07:19:13 pm »
From Paul Thurrott, Microsoft ITT

1) Always-on connectivity is indeed part of the next Xbox, and it was interesting to see this guy confirm that unofficially.

2) He could have been more tactful, but let’s face it, people are way too sensitive online.

3) The biggest issue here, frankly, was the cyberbullying that occurred in the wake of Orth’s comments. Those sensitive people aren’t so sensitive when it comes to other people, that’s for sure. In fact, that’s my exact definition of a bully.

4) Microsoft is only upset about the way this feature was communicated, because it likes to present this kind of thing has a positive, not a negative.
More to the point, I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time. Yes, they do work offline, of course. But the apps platform on these systems—which will be replicated on the Windows 8-based next Xbox—assumes a connection. Microsoft’s new platforms are integrated conduits for online services.
Let’s see what Microsoft has to say about the next Xbox, first in a late May launch event, and then later at both E3 and BUILD 2013, before we make up our minds. Let’s not let one ill-conceived comment ruin what’s going to be an awesome year for Xbox. And yes, it really is going to be awesome.
More here:
http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-vnext-and-always?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

From newgaf forums:
How reliable has Thurrott been with his predictions and statements over the last years?
Usually correct.
yeah. he's usually on the money for Microsoft related things.
Very.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 7, 2013, 07:34:06 pm »
i still refuse to believe they'd do it, my brain will not accept that they could be that stupid
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #72 on: April 7, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »
Thing is, I can't think of a positive for the gamer of "always online".

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 7, 2013, 07:37:09 pm »
there are benefits of always on, there are none for required always on

though they'll spin the shit out of it and people who don't know better will think it's great
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #74 on: April 7, 2013, 07:57:43 pm »
i still refuse to believe they'd do it, my brain will not accept that they could be that stupid

Michael Pachter said something like 95% of Xbox users are on Live, and Microsoft can afford to lose that 5%.

Also remember the 360 was hacked to shit, Microsoft banned over a million accounts a few years back - and it continued to be hacked after. Maybe they feel always on DRM is the only way to prevent that, so it's worth losing a few customers to make sure everyone's playing games legitimately. If I went out and told the average 360 user about always-online meant, I don't think any would care - that's Microsoft's core audience right there.

Then you look at Windows 8, everyone said they had no interest in using a touch-screen interface on their personal computers. They went ahead and released it with a compulsory touch-screen setup, then went and removed the start bar that was in the BETA. Windows 8 is now stagnating in sales.

They really could be this stupid.

I personally don't think they will be though :)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 7, 2013, 08:25:14 pm »
i've heard other souces stating that only 70% of xbox 360s are connected to LIVE,

even if it was 95% connected how many of those 95 have great steady connections?

my interenet connection is great but i'd still have to think seriously about this if they did it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 7, 2013, 08:32:03 pm »
i've heard other souces stating that only 70% of xbox 360s are connected to LIVE,

even if it was 95% connected how many of those 95 have great steady connections?

my interenet connection is great but i'd still have to think seriously about this if they did it
Yeah I've heard this too.

Guess we'll find out soon anyway.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #77 on: April 7, 2013, 08:33:21 pm »
And they're just assuming that everyone with a current XBL account will hear about this and then choose to stay with it in the transition to the next gen? Could be console suicide if they do.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 7, 2013, 08:35:35 pm »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-02-12-xbox-install-base-hits-76-million

76m xbox and 46m on LIVE

would they alienate 30m people? would they be so dumb as to lose 30m sales before they begin
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #79 on: April 7, 2013, 08:37:02 pm »

Might be 70% are connected via a Gold membership and 95% are connected online, only Microsoft knows really.

You wouldn't need a steady connection if it's sending a few packets every so often. We're talking kilobytes here.

That Paul Thurrot is talking on 'What The Tech' a few days ago, he says the paperwork for the Durango states 'Must be internet connected to use' 54:00 onwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01qrzaZg7_g

If Microsoft is doing this on purpose for publicity then they're doing a good job.