Author Topic: Match Preview - Reds v Man City  (Read 55459 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview - Reds v Man City
« Reply #280 on: November 8, 2019, 03:31:11 pm »
If Ederson is out then compared to last time they are playing without Ederson, Laporte, Kompany and maybe Fernandinho out of midfield.

There is never an ideal time to play City because they are an incredible side but honestly we need to make it count and win.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #281 on: November 8, 2019, 03:42:02 pm »
There is never an ideal time to play City because they are an incredible side but honestly we need to make it count and win.

Yeah...honestly I understand those saying that this isn't a must win and a draw is not the worst result (i wouldn't be pissed off with a draw either to be honest)

But there would definitely be a sense of a missed opportunity if we do not win given the state of both teams.

So i reckon we should win.
i'll text Klopp
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #282 on: November 8, 2019, 03:45:37 pm »
We will win this i'm confident...

But realistically a draw isnt that bad.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: November 8, 2019, 03:46:57 pm »
To look at it another way - the next time we get to directly influence the destination of the title [ie by playing what are likely to be our closest rivals] is in April, something like 7 games from the end of the season. That fixture is away from home and will come [all being well] just prior to a champions league quarter final. I'll say now - I'd take a draw in that fixture. We shouldn't be taking a draw in the fixture this weekend.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #284 on: November 8, 2019, 04:07:01 pm »
I really like our attitude to officialdom on the pitch. Despite the screams of diving, I think anyone who watches our games in any unbiased manner knows we should get more penalties.

We don't harrass the refs, we don't spend our time flopping about and screaming murder for the slightest touch. It's a small source of pride for me watching that we're doing it the right way.

That all said, when we get to play City, I wish we were bigger barstuds in this regard. More than Utd & Everton, which are, with very few exceptions, sh1tfests to watch, at least we can claim the moral high ground. With City, I'd love to turn the tables on them, especially at home. Having a couple of them getting sent off for obstructive play would be quite glorious, we just need to make it clear what's happening.

Oh, and winning would be utopia too.

Really looking forward to this game. It's going to be nervewracking.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: November 8, 2019, 04:20:03 pm »
A draw will feel like a defeat to me. They've rarely been in such a weak position, comparatively speaking. Considering who they have managed to drop points to this season I'll be well narked if they walk away from this game with anything.  One of the reasons I'm nervous about this game.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: November 8, 2019, 04:24:27 pm »
First choice centre back, defensive midfielder and goal keeper out - can’t ask for much more

Yeah if they all miss out that's very handy. Especially for running at their midfield second half (hello Alex and Naby). If Gundogan gets an early booking they're well exposed and might need to bring Fernandinho up for Stones.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: November 8, 2019, 04:31:07 pm »
A draw will feel like a defeat to me. They've rarely been in such a weak position, comparatively speaking. Considering who they have managed to drop points to this season I'll be well narked if they walk away from this game with anything.  One of the reasons I'm nervous about this game.

Come on now. They're a quality side with £50-60m players in nearly every position. A draw is not to be sniffed at.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: November 8, 2019, 04:40:45 pm »
Think people are forgetting just how shit bravo was as first choice for city. Was probably the worst keeper in the league that year. I mean yeah he could have a good game, but would much rather him in goal. Managed less than 45 minutes without a major fuck up in midweek as well

He's very similar to Romero. Very capable of a worldie. Great feet. Good reflexes and good keeping technique. But equally very capable of a rush of blood to the head. And ultimately both are short keepers.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: November 8, 2019, 04:47:01 pm »
Target them on set-pieces, especially on corners.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: November 8, 2019, 04:50:38 pm »
How the hell does he put things into words in a way no one else can ?  Its pure class.
Not that our fans need revving up for this, but if any do, thats the way to do it

He's fucking amazing isn't he? Even a good manager of the crowd.

People shouldn't need help being able to get up for supporting the team in the stadium. But to be fair he tried the same for the Genk home game and the crowd were mostly shite, and led to the drop in tempo when we conceded.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #291 on: November 8, 2019, 05:09:56 pm »
Fuck waiting week after week for them to drop points. This time it's in our hands and we have to take full advantage. Surely they'll drop more points regardless of the outcome of this game. I mean, they have to, right? It's only November. Even I think so, but I also thought that they couldn't possibly win every sodding game from February until the end of the season last season. They did. Which is why we absolutely have to stretch the gap to 9 points come Sunday. We just can't let this opportunity pass us by.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #292 on: November 8, 2019, 05:16:18 pm »
Hope we play the side on front of us rather than the occasion as we did at Old Trafford

Clearly this one is at Anfield, so confident of a win.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #293 on: November 8, 2019, 05:18:15 pm »
If offered a guaranteed point now or told there’s a 50/50 chance that we win, or they’d win I’d gamble in their being a result. Always been a maverick!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: November 8, 2019, 05:20:17 pm »
Come on now. They're a quality side with £50-60m players in nearly every position. A draw is not to be sniffed at.

I dont agree. There'll never be a better time to beat them. Fuck dropping what could potentially prove crucial points to this lot at Anfield.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: November 8, 2019, 05:24:42 pm »
He's fucking amazing isn't he? Even a good manager of the crowd.

People shouldn't need help being able to get up for supporting the team in the stadium. But to be fair he tried the same for the Genk home game and the crowd were mostly shite, and led to the drop in tempo when we conceded.

Tbf Genk aren't City.  If the crowd cant get themselves up for this game then they deserve to be lined up and have Jurgen give each one a sharp kick to the nethers.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: November 8, 2019, 05:29:36 pm »
These quotes from Klopp:
"We have to play our best game and everybody in the stadium has to be in absolutely top shape," Klopp urged.

"The guys that sell the hot dogs have to be in top shape, everyone from the first second, get in the stadium, wait for the team to warm-up and be there.

"That is what I wish for - that before we even know whether we are going to get something that we invest all our emotions for the game and let's play football."

How the hell does he put things into words in a way no one else can ?  Its pure class.
Not that our fans need revving up for this, but if any do, thats the way to do it

When he retires, i want to see him in politics.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: November 8, 2019, 05:31:26 pm »
When he retires, i want to see him in politics.

I don't want him to retire. Or leave.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: November 8, 2019, 06:16:55 pm »
These quotes from Klopp:
"We have to play our best game and everybody in the stadium has to be in absolutely top shape," Klopp urged.

"The guys that sell the hot dogs have to be in top shape, everyone from the first second, get in the stadium, wait for the team to warm-up and be there.

"That is what I wish for - that before we even know whether we are going to get something that we invest all our emotions for the game and let's play football."

I think about the "turn from doubters to believers" line on an almost daily basis, it has helped me in my own life. Klopp is genuinely inspirational and it's no surprise to see our lads willing to run through brick walls for him.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #299 on: November 8, 2019, 06:27:26 pm »
It will be tough, it will be chaotic, it will be close; but towards the end of the game, the Kop, the Main Stand, the Sir Kenny and half the Annie will be singing the tune to a certain song by a certain Mancunian band with such force, volume and intensity that anyone standing outside Homebaked and hearing it roar into the night sky will be in no doubt that a certain Egyptian has just slotted home the winner. Amen.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #300 on: November 8, 2019, 06:30:30 pm »
3-1 mane,salah, ox

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #301 on: November 8, 2019, 06:38:13 pm »
Just saw the statistic that the last time they beat us twice in a row was before world war 2. Last time they beat us at Anfield, my 2nd son was days old. He now has a girlfriend with a car. I'd still take the spawniest of wins though. 96th minute deflection off their defenders arse, which would otherwise have gone out.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #302 on: November 8, 2019, 06:58:32 pm »
The build up to this game has been tedious, just want this game over with now. I am hoping for a straight-forward 2-0 win, it would be a nice time to get a clean sheet as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #303 on: November 8, 2019, 07:00:10 pm »
If offered a guaranteed point now or told there’s a 50/50 chance that we win, or they’d win I’d gamble in their being a result. Always been a maverick!

Always thought of you as a modern day Ian Botham
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #304 on: November 8, 2019, 07:00:29 pm »
When he retires, i want to see him in politics the Kop end.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #305 on: November 8, 2019, 07:18:56 pm »
Always thought of you as a modern day Ian Botham

V

That’s what I think of your selection policy.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: November 8, 2019, 07:19:11 pm »
Think Ox off the bench will have a huge impact in the last 20 mins.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: November 8, 2019, 07:44:25 pm »
Just saw the statistic that the last time they beat us twice in a row was before world war 2. Last time they beat us at Anfield, my 2nd son was days old. He now has a girlfriend with a car. I'd still take the spawniest of wins though. 96th minute deflection off their defenders arse, which would otherwise have gone out.

One of my favourite league goals ever was when we equalised in the 100th minute against Arsenal. To this day I still don't know how the referee managed to add that much time. Hell, they took the lead in the 95th minute, and that was already excessive.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: November 8, 2019, 07:48:27 pm »
They lost that Champions League quarter final the minute they started talking about rerouting the bus. They allowed the fans into their heads immediately and we could've been five up at half time.

Can't ever condone people throwing stuff at the bus but it just seems like they're inviting trouble again by talking about it. It's a Sunday afternoon in November I doubt many would've bothered. There'll be loads there now and as with any crowd there's a good chance that one or two will take it too far. Their players saw fit to sing a song about our fans being "battered in the streets" so I'm sure they'll have no trouble dealing with a couple of bottles bouncing off their reinforced bus.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #309 on: November 8, 2019, 08:36:10 pm »
Strange.

We are 6 points ahead yet the press and Pep says the pressure is on us?

Are we supposed to have lesser pressure feeling tippy tappy if we are 6 points behind and chasing a team that that consists of a certain Ballon D'or winner marshalling the defence and 2 golden boots winner?

Who is the pressure on?

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: November 8, 2019, 10:01:42 pm »
So the mid will probably be Fab, Gini and Henderson and I haven't seen Fab, Henderson and Ox suggested.

I know Gini isn't exactly a defensive beast or have a creative mind but is the reason that he is assumed to start because tactically he is great in the midfield?

I like him but he never stands out and is that because is a vital enough cog in the midfield to allow others around him to thrive?

Fabinho gets the plaudits for his tackling. Ox gets the praise for his goals and passes. Gini, not much really unless he gets on the scoresheet.

Online Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: November 8, 2019, 10:02:38 pm »
We are on the up and City are not quite the team of last season, we will win on Sunday and gradually pull further and further ahead and win the league on the weekend of April 4-5th and on the same weekend TIGER ROLL wins his Third Grand National..

LIVERPOOL

31pts
City               H  Win   34pts
Palace            A  Win   37pts
Brighton         H  Win   40pts
Everton          H  Win    43pts
Bournemouth  A  Win   46pts
Watford          H  Win   49pts
Leicester         A  Draw 50pts
Wolves            H Win    53pts
Sheff Utd         H Win    56pts
Spurs              A Draw   57pts
Utd                 H Win     60pts
Wolves            A Win     63pts
Southampton   H Win     66pts
Norwich           A  Win     69pts
West Ham        H  Win     72pts
Watford            A  Win      75pts
Bournemouth    H Win     78pts
Everton            A Draw    79pts
Palace              H Win      82pts
City                  A Win     85pts  Win the league on the same weekend TIGER ROLL Wins his Third Grand National
Villa                 H Win     88pts
Brighton           A Win     91pts
Burnley            H Win     94pts
Arsenal            A Win     97pts
Chelsea           H Win     100pts
Newcastle        A Draw   101pts

MANCHESTER CITY

25pts
Libpool   A  Lose     25pts
Chelsea  H Draw     26pts
Newc      A Win       29pts
Burnley  A  Win       32pts
Utd        H  Win       35pts
Arsenal  A  Draw      36pts
Leicester H Draw      37pts
Wolves    A Draw      38pts
Sheff Utd H Win        41pts
Everton H  Win          44pts
Villa      A  Win          47pts
Palace   H   Win         50pts
Sheff Utd  A  Win       53pts
Spurs    A   Lose        53pts
West Ham  H  Win      56pts
Leicester  A  Draw      57pts
Arsenal   H   Win        60pts
Utd  A   Draw             61pts
Burnley  H  Win          64pts
Chelsea A  Draw         65pts
Liverpool  H  Lose       65pts
Southampton A  Win   68pts
Newcastle H  Win        71pts
Brighton  A   Win         74pts
Bournemouth H  Win    77pts
Watford  A   Win          80pts
Norwich  H   Win          83pts

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: November 9, 2019, 12:07:10 am »
We will win this i'm confident...

But realistically a draw isnt that bad.

A draw with the players they are missing would be a bad result for us, we have to win our home games against the top sides

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #313 on: November 9, 2019, 12:18:09 am »
Obviously this will be a very big game and a tough one to win. We need to get hold of midfield and put lots of pressure on them. If we do then our front three will be too good for their defence. Hope Mane scores 2 and runs over to baldy and does a knew slide right up to him.
#JFT97

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #314 on: November 9, 2019, 01:07:27 am »
It will be tough, it will be chaotic, it will be close; but towards the end of the game, the Kop, the Main Stand, the Sir Kenny and half the Annie will be singing the tune to a certain song by a certain Mancunian band with such force, volume and intensity that anyone standing outside Homebaked and hearing it roar into the night sky will be in no doubt that a certain Egyptian has just slotted home the winner. Amen.

Typical Tony Wilson fucking hype/fake news.

The bassist was a Manc. The rest are from all over the fucking shop including one scouser.

That said, I concur with your main thrust Misty lad. I can feel a resounding victory in my scouse waters.

;D

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #315 on: November 9, 2019, 01:11:07 am »
Can’t beat a Homebaked vegan Scouse pie before the match
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #316 on: November 9, 2019, 01:25:10 am »

Yeah I'd be disappointed but it'd arguably still be a better result than our point at Old Trafford because City are a much better side and we wouldn't lose ground on them with potentially easier fixtures to come before the New Year.

It is a huge opportunity though and we should attack more than we did in the home game last season because we're in better shape this time and they're probably in worse shape. I think we will.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #317 on: November 9, 2019, 03:13:12 am »
They lost that Champions League quarter final the minute they started talking about rerouting the bus. They allowed the fans into their heads immediately and we could've been five up at half time.

Can't ever condone people throwing stuff at the bus but it just seems like they're inviting trouble again by talking about it. It's a Sunday afternoon in November I doubt many would've bothered. There'll be loads there now and as with any crowd there's a good chance that one or two will take it too far. Their players saw fit to sing a song about our fans being "battered in the streets" so I'm sure they'll have no trouble dealing with a couple of bottles bouncing off their reinforced bus.
You can guarantee that they’ll invent something whatever happens...in the manner of the Alan Smith ambulance attack.
BTW - is this a flag day? Make sure Pep cacks his pants

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: November 9, 2019, 03:35:45 am »

If people want to throw stuff then why not battered savs.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #319 on: November 9, 2019, 07:51:02 am »
I think one of the reasons this game is so significant (aside from the title race and potential points gap) is that City finally now have something to prove.

This is a proper test of their expensive squad, a proper test of Guardiola's tactical acumen, and a proper test of their ability to cope under pressure. This is arguably them at the weakest they've been for some time, and us at our strongest. Beating them now proves what all fans have known all along - that with a level playing field and with their seemingly invincible powers slightly diminished, they are beatable.

It's a chance for us to sow more seeds of doubt into City's heads, a chance to show them that we're better than them now - even with a squad costing less than half of theirs, and a chance for us to create a points gap that their players and manager haven't experienced, with a pressure that they'll have to deal with during a very busy and difficult spell of games.

Yes, a draw isn't a disaster by any stretch of the imagination, but a win ticks so many more boxes than just 3 points and a 9 point gap, and I think Klopp, the players and fans will respond to that challenge and we'll put them to the sword in more ways than one.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.