Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 260383 times)

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #2360 on: October 5, 2016, 08:31:48 pm »
Only thing I think it's missing for that price is some level of water resistance.
Seems like a lot more's missing considering the price...

Camera.. no optical image stabilisation, aperture only f2.0, while Samsung's best is f1.7, LGs best f1.8, iphone 7 f1.8.

No mention of water/dust resistance, screen of the standard Pixel is only a 1080p pentile AMOLED, no SD card slot, a single bottom firing speaker, a 2770mAh battery, no wireless charging, no FM radio.

It has a 69.0% screen-to-body ratio. The only positives are the Snapdragon 821 and latest android software.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #2361 on: October 8, 2016, 02:36:07 pm »
Disappointing price but I'd still take it over the Iphone or Samsung any day.

Having said that there is no point (IMO) in buying the flagship phones anyway unless you've got money to burn.

This for me.

I was holding out in hope that the pixel was going to be around where the Nexus range were but I should have known better from their Chromebook that the Pixel line would basically be an Apple priced competitor; that said it looks like this is where the flagships are going price wise if you look at the LG v20's launching soon with a similar price point.

Not fussed with the design either, it's tidy but not really anything unseen from a htc, Apple produce for the past couple of years. Also it's got a huge chin which I'd be totally cool with except there's no duel front speakers which is daft.

Probably just gonna go get a Moto Z or hold out until I see what Xiaomi has got coming out.

Offline MJohnson2

• Legacy Fan
  • Said It's High Green mate, Via Hillsborough please
« Reply #2362 on: October 16, 2016, 07:12:28 pm »

Hi guys need a bit of help. My Sony M4 Aqua has recently been returned to me from Sony after i had it sent there for a software failure since then i have had it back no more than 48 hours and the phone refuses to charge. Like i have to force the charger in at an angle for it to register its there.

I have also tried to remove any lilt within the phone however this hasn't worked. What would be the best thing to do?
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MattyJohnson8

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #2363 on: October 30, 2016, 04:11:34 pm »
I've just switched from iPhone to Android for the first time in about 6 years, slowly getting the hang of it. Understand there are a few features I'm missing from the iPhone.

Firstly, is there anyway of getting badge notifications for Twitter?

Also, when in a Whatsapp chat, if I have another message in a different chat/group, it doesn't tell me this in the top left (as an unread number) as it did on iOS, is there anyway of fixing that?
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Djibriliant

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2364 on: November 1, 2016, 09:49:45 pm »
Another one... Can I get the Facebook taskbar to remain even when I click on a profile/page, I'm having to keep pressing back to get to the home page.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline bruffell06

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2365 on: November 2, 2016, 10:55:00 am »
I cracked the screen on my s6 edge recently and now the screen has started flickering so it is unusable (it still functions as I can hear the notifications of emails being received etc). So I've now bought myself a new phone but I'm looking to hopefully get all my contacts/pictures off it or if not then just wipe it. I've read online and tried a few different programs but I haven't been able to do either because it's saying the phone is 'locked'. I've gone on the Samsung 'find my phone' to remote unlock it but it says the phone is not connected to the network. Any ideas?

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2366 on: November 3, 2016, 04:55:41 pm »
Anyone know if there is a quick and easy way to turn off push notifications on the Sony Xperia X?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2367 on: November 7, 2016, 01:23:52 pm »
Got an Huawei P8, looking to get a load of music onto it via MicroSD.  Seen the Kingston 64GB on Amazon.  Now i have music stored on my PC at home through i-Tunes.  Can i

1.  Use the above to play music through the phone
2.  Use it if downloaded via i-Tunes onto an Android phone

I must be living in the dark ages to ask those questions.  It saves me buying a new i-Pod 160gb at some extortionate price as mine is knackered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Memory-Cards/Kingston-microSD-Memory-Huawei-SmartPhone/B019UJSJHW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478524799&sr=8-3&keywords=huawei+p8+64gb
« Last Edit: November 7, 2016, 01:28:18 pm by Ziltoid »

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #2368 on: November 22, 2016, 04:49:27 pm »
Anyone good with android fixes?

I have a galaxy 5 which I dropped.  Screen not working at all.

I want to get my stuff off it without spending £150 getting it repaired (I'm gonna have a go at doing it myself and ordered a kit off amazon)

Anyway, I want to get my pics etc off.  Its plugged into the laptop, shows up as a device but I cant access the files (when I open the device in file explorer it says the folder is empty

I'm guessing I need to enable the device to file transfer (which I cant because I cant use the screen)

Ive tried a few ideas that I got on youtube (droid at screen) but none work - Any ideas?
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Djibriliant

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2369 on: December 24, 2016, 12:37:27 pm »
Anyone with a Sony Xperia XZ (or similar)? I recently used Stamina Mode and since then, my email push notifications aren't coming through. All settings seem correct so scratching my head at the moment.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2370 on: December 24, 2016, 12:42:33 pm »
Anyone with a Sony Xperia XZ (or similar)? I recently used Stamina Mode and since then, my email push notifications aren't coming through. All settings seem correct so scratching my head at the moment.

Used to have one and still have a Z2 tablet.

Stamina mode has never stopped notifications for me. It looks like you can configure stamina mode a bit though and it DOES have the ability to hide them.

It should have an item in the notification bar when you drop down. It'll be available through settings. It's baked into Sony's Android image. If I remember my old phone you toggle notifications on or off.

Arsed if I can find where to configure it though. You might just need to wait for the popup (charge a bit and drain)?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:56:13 pm by ToneLa »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2371 on: December 24, 2016, 02:15:50 pm »

Background data restrictions with stamina mode

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2372 on: December 24, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »
That stamina mode is a good concept, I posted in the mobile phone thread but you can get the equivalent with Amplify and Greenify on rooted Android. Xda forums are your friend.

Offline Djibriliant

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2373 on: December 25, 2016, 10:00:34 pm »
The trouble is, I've now disabled stamina mode, everything.is back to normal other than emails, which I'm not receiving the push notifications for. Stamina mode is off.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2374 on: December 31, 2016, 10:25:53 am »
Been looking at the Google Pixel phone.

I have a few questions though, hopefully someone can advise.

1) I have LOTS of whatsapp convo's and media backed up to my iCloud account, which i don't want to lose, how would i migrate that across to my new phone & new whatsapp? I understand that you can use the google cloud backup option, but its actually migrating it across in the first place?

2) As the Google Pixel is android based, does this mean that it has full access to all android apps etc?

3) Podcast apps - Is there a podcast application which is as good as the iOS one on the iphone?

I've never had an android phone before, only iOS, so sorry if these are stupid questions.

PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2375 on: January 3, 2017, 01:51:40 am »
Not sure what has happened, but my 'Internet' app on my S6 opens Chrome. I don't use chrome, never have. Didn't change any settings. Literally all I did was restart my phone when it wouldn't close a completely unrelated app earlier tonight.
All the bookmarks etc are the same as they were previously, but I don't like chrome, and want to use the browser I had before. How do I fix it?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2376 on: January 3, 2017, 03:38:41 am »
Not sure what has happened, but my 'Internet' app on my S6 opens Chrome. I don't use chrome, never have. Didn't change any settings. Literally all I did was restart my phone when it wouldn't close a completely unrelated app earlier tonight.
All the bookmarks etc are the same as they were previously, but I don't like chrome, and want to use the browser I had before. How do I fix it?

Your stock Samsung browser could have gone corrupt or something. Try reinstalling the Samsung browser through play store... Should give you the option of setting it as default when you click on a link.

Chrome is good, but it's unoptimised for most socs out there which means it has a high overhead. 
Phuk yoo

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2377 on: January 23, 2017, 01:30:27 am »
So now my Internet app has updated, and now none of the embedded youtube videos are playable. Comes up with 'plug in not supported'

Any ideas?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2378 on: March 13, 2017, 06:46:35 pm »
Is a downloaded and paid-for app linked to my account or to my device?  In other words, can I use the same app on two devices after having paid for it once?

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #2379 on: March 13, 2017, 07:02:36 pm »
Is a downloaded and paid-for app linked to my account or to my device?  In other words, can I use the same app on two devices after having paid for it once?
From the playstore will be your account but some like WhatsApp only allow one

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #2380 on: March 21, 2017, 07:31:15 pm »
I have recently lost my iTunes library on my PC due to iTunes randomly updating and losing the current library files. I do have an older backup showing the contents of my playlists, which I will be able to populate new playlists with.

I have no intention of setting iTunes up again as I don't really use it anymore. However, I would like to be able to play mp3 tracks on my phone (as well as using Spotify). I have no problem with downloading tracks from my NAS drive to my phone, but can anybody recommend a solution for storing playlists using the mp3 tracks and which Android app is best to play my music / playlists through on my phone?

Thanks for any info.

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline slamjam

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2381 on: April 11, 2017, 01:03:46 am »
What the best app for cycling.

[Nobody cares what phone you have and that you are using the free version of Tapatalk]

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2382 on: April 11, 2017, 06:15:07 am »
What the best app for cycling.

Strava

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #2383 on: April 18, 2017, 10:32:06 am »
Is there such an app that lets you use youtube as a music player? I'm trying to go without spotify.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #2384 on: July 2, 2017, 07:48:15 pm »
The arrival of children in my life has meant that I have not been able to do an update for the LFCHistory Android app for a couple of years but I found some time this last couple of weeks and have tonight released an update.

It is now built against Android N, has some fixes and now also includes fixtures.

Hope you like it and would appreciate feedback.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.danwms.lfchistory

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #2385 on: September 6, 2017, 12:05:28 am »
Hey no nothing bout phones but I need a new one . Was hoping between 150 to 300 mark . |Reliable with good memory ??
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2386 on: September 6, 2017, 06:45:08 pm »
Hey no nothing bout phones but I need a new one . Was hoping between 150 to 300 mark . |Reliable with good memory ??

Xiaomi, Motorola are good brands, you might want to check the What Phone thread though

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=109361.0

Gsmarena is a good site to watch for reviews and specs and prices  :)

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #2387 on: September 8, 2017, 10:23:11 pm »
Thanks wasn't sure where to post and thanks for replys
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2388 on: September 9, 2017, 12:31:30 pm »
I have recently lost my iTunes library on my PC due to iTunes randomly updating and losing the current library files. I do have an older backup showing the contents of my playlists, which I will be able to populate new playlists with.

I have no intention of setting iTunes up again as I don't really use it anymore. However, I would like to be able to play mp3 tracks on my phone (as well as using Spotify). I have no problem with downloading tracks from my NAS drive to my phone, but can anybody recommend a solution for storing playlists using the mp3 tracks and which Android app is best to play my music / playlists through on my phone?

Thanks for any info.

I like Google Play Music cause you can upload absolutely tons of your own tracks for free on the PC.

With Deezloader this is spot on  :)

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #2389 on: October 8, 2017, 10:48:29 am »
Regarding Mobdro

The narcos channel in shows plays on a loop I can only assume but has anyone got a way of knowing schedules for the channels

Taa

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2390 on: October 9, 2017, 11:40:37 am »
Regarding Mobdro

The narcos channel in shows plays on a loop I can only assume but has anyone got a way of knowing schedules for the channels

Taa

Download 'Show box' - tons of films and TV on there and you can pick and choose what episode you want to play and when. It is a brilliant app.

You will need to google 'show box download apk' though as it won't appear on the PlayStore.

I believe you can actually download videos off there too. Though I have not tried that yet. I just stream at 720p. Which on a phone or tablet is more than watchable.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2017, 11:42:45 am by CheshireDave »
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: October 10, 2017, 04:54:06 pm »
Cheers, StatDan. Will look into that.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2392 on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:54 pm »
Quality. Cheers.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2393 on: October 26, 2017, 06:40:33 pm »
Looking for an app to back up SMS messages that I can upload onto a computer and print off. Preferably something that keeps the date and times of each text.

I had something previously. SMS Backup and Restore or something like that. It was OK for the backing up part, but not the uploading. Had to download some shit to convert it into a readable format so can't be arsed with that again.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: November 4, 2017, 06:19:21 pm »
Recently got myself an S8 after moving away from iPhone.

What sites do people use for APK's?

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: November 5, 2017, 06:23:09 pm »
recently smashed the screen of my Galaxy s4 and im wondering how to get my contacts and data off it?  USB debugging isnt enabled and the phone is locked. Any suggestions?  i tried a program called dr.fone toolkit but i cant recover anything unless i register it for 60 euros. Im just not sure if the program is legit so reluctant to do that.

Offline manx_red

• Main Stander
« Reply #2396 on: November 9, 2017, 09:49:53 am »
Rather than just the couple of sources Showbox gives you, Terrarium lists every host of each movie, the resolution and the file size. It also has more movies available at any one time (from my experience).

I was running popcorn, Showbox and Terrarium when I first downloaded it, but basically didn't need the first two once I got Terrarium.

Just wanted to say cheers. I've been looking for a decent app to watch free telly which I can easily stream from my phone to my Chromecast. I find Kodi a pain in the A. Terrarium is perfect, I love it! It has EVERYTHING!

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2397 on: November 9, 2017, 11:51:03 am »
Recently got myself an S8 after moving away from iPhone.

What sites do people use for APK's?

Any!

if you want free apps though, Aptoide is good and after that there is blackmart alpha but that is a bit buggy

you will need to google both for the apk, make sure your "unknown sources" flag is set to yes!

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2398 on: November 11, 2017, 06:00:30 pm »
Really had enough of iPhones so I’m going to try Android for a change as I’m due a upgrade soon. Was thinking of going for a Sony XZ1 Compact! Has anyone got one on here by any chance ?

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2399 on: November 12, 2017, 10:32:14 am »
Really had enough of iPhones so I’m going to try Android for a change as I’m due a upgrade soon. Was thinking of going for a Sony XZ1 Compact! Has anyone got one on here by any chance ?

Got one last week, lovely little phone, quite chunky though. Really good battery life.