Author Topic: Heysel 23 Years On  (Read 31370 times)

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
Re: Heysel 23 Years On
« Reply #40 on: June 5, 2008, 04:07:09 pm »
Hey. we're agreed.

The contrast between dozens of new subsequent stadia, and many dozens of new stands, and the original superstructure still standing at the Leppings Lane is the one that sticks in my gullet.

The one stand that came to "Symbolise" all that was wrong, still standing despite the game being awash with cash.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #41 on: June 5, 2008, 08:55:39 pm »
I said "largely unchanged". The changes to which you refer are window dressing as far as I am concerned. If you are satisfied with that, thats ok, but i am not.

The stand should have been totally demolished and a new one put up in its place.A bit of a contrast to heysel isnt it?

I know what you mean but the Hillsborough disaster was caused by 2 things. First, anyone who had a ticket for the Leppings lane could get through that tunnel and into the middle pen because there was no one to stop them. Second, once in there, there was no room to move sideways or onto the pitch because of the fences so we were trapped.
The Heysel disaster was caused by 1. Chickenwire being used to separate fans instead of a decent fence. 2. Bad segregation (Juve fans and some Liverpool fans in same section and right next to the main section of Liverpool fans) after Liverpool fans were subjected to vicious attacks by Italian fans 12 months previous. 3. Nowhere near enough police to prevent the trouble. 4. Drunk fans. 5. Decrepit stadium.
So really the Leppings Lane problem was solved by the removal of the fences and the seats being installed.
Anyway this is about Heysel so I think we should concentrate on that on this thread. Hillsborough is a massive thing for us and it is covered elsewhere.

Offline sigismo

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: March 6, 2009, 02:03:49 pm »
ciao vi mando un sito sull heysel ...per non dimenticare ciao a tutti
http://www.saladellamemoriaheysel.it/

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 6, 2009, 06:27:26 pm »
ciao vi mando un sito sull heysel ...per non dimenticare ciao a tutti
http://www.saladellamemoriaheysel.it/

thanks to google I got what you said mate.

no one will forget Heysel and I hope all the people who died that day are in peace. Take out the word Juventus from Juventus football supporters all is left is football supporters. we support different teams but football is our common passion.

RIP my thoughts are with their families, forza.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #44 on: March 7, 2009, 02:30:50 am »
In memoria e amicizia.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 08:12:20 pm »
RIP

No one should go to a football match and never come back.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2010, 04:20:13 pm »
25 years now, RIP.
hi

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 4, 2010, 09:53:58 pm »

RIP

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2010, 12:51:17 am »

RIP

This should have been done many a year ago

Offline dwesty

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • No new LFC topics?
« Reply #49 on: July 9, 2010, 10:05:16 pm »
Oh Liverpool we love you.

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #50 on: August 9, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »
i still remember watching the TV in stunned silence as a 13 yr old....and then four years later.... you cannot help but wonder what would have happened to us without that night, the ban, the rise of Utd.... maybe the bubble would have burst sometime but this legacy is now with us and part of the club will always be in mourning for those that went to a footy game and never came back...
walk on...walk on...

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 03:55:26 pm »
i still remember watching the TV in stunned silence as a 13 yr old....and then four years later.... you cannot help but wonder what would have happened to us without that night, the ban, the rise of Utd.... maybe the bubble would have burst sometime but this legacy is now with us and part of the club will always be in mourning for those that went to a footy game and never came back...

I'm an oldie - nearly 65 - and a United supporter and I can remember vividly with sickening recollection of both those tragic days from Heysel and Hillsborough. Lessons were learnt here as we all know but I'm not convinced that the whole of Europe has got its act together.

Rest in peace the 39 and the 96. Football fans everywhere must always remember the victims of tragedies - if we ever forget then we should be ashamed of ourselves.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 03:43:18 pm »
Some items I kept back from the trip:

I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2013, 11:30:52 pm »
A silky, swopped for a hat after a game of good natured Footy with the Italians the day of the game.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline Ronster

• A Real Man who doesn't like Girlies
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #54 on: November 7, 2013, 03:07:17 pm »
  I was only twelve when i went to this match. Trying to recall as much as i can. I was in Antwerp a week before visiting my Uncle and Auntie who also went to the game. i remember walking through the streets of Bruxelles and seeing a few fans around then hearing the Liv-er-pool Liv-er-pool Liv-er-pool chant getting closer as we walked into the main square. The old man put me on his shoulders so i could see better then i saw the statue in the middle with fans hanging off it and scarfs, flags etc and all the tables outside the bars filled up - good atmosphere. I was wearing my LFC jersey which my old man had cut a number seven out of a pillow case and stitched on me back. Problem is, he only used about ten stitches so the top half of the seven used to hang down when a stitch broke.

At the stadium i sat with my mum in section W, which was at the end of the main stand. All the trouble was where the Old man, Uncle and Auntie were stood, over to my right in XY and Z at one of the ends. I remember there were lots more Juve fans in the stadium than ours. Seemed about seventy five percent Juve. There was lots of smoke in the air and it was a nice warm European evening with the sun still up but lowering. At some point when the stadium was nearly full i could see skirmishes at the end over to my right and some fans from both teams had sticks and were hitting the fence that separated them, then each other.

During the next half hour, that end of the ground all of a sudden cleared of where the Juve fans has been stood, just empty terraces on the left and Liverpool fans on the right. I didn't know about any wall that had collapsed or fans hurt. The skirmishes certainly didn't go as far down to where the wall collapsed as i know it now. They were up by the divide of supporters it seemed to me.

The game was delayed by what seemed like an age and i remember Joe coming over the tannoy system, saying to the Liverpool fans 'to calm down and that people had been hurt'. Then i think a player or another part of the management team said something over the tannoy as well. It was dark at this point or nearly. Then the game started, i remember wanting to see Boniek and Platini as well as the reds. At half time a Juve fan came running up the running track from my left hand side with a plastic seat in his hand and frizzbied it up over the fence in our general direction and a fan a few rows in front fended it away. He must of heard what had happened and probably lost friends and wanted to vent his anger at the first red shirts he could see in the crowd.

I remember the penalty and i was truly gutted at the final whistle, Liverpool don't lose European cup finals. I didn't know though. Walking with me Mum back to the train stop outside the ground bottles and glass were smashing all around our feet but my mum was shepherding me away quickly so i didn't see where they were coming from. I recall you could of heard a pin drop on that train, everyone was emotionally drained.

After a few days i started to gather bits of what had happened and i remember me Dad saying that it wasn't the Liverpool fans (However they did play their part as did the Juve fans in what led to the accident). He just wanted to defend the club and our fantastic supporters and lay blame anywhere which didn't tarnish the image of the club in his eyes or mine. After realising about the loss of life i remember feeling that if we had won how embarrassing that would of been. Now i know the game should never have happened. I didn't want to go back to school at the end of the holiday and pleaded with me Mum although it was alright in the end and i didn't get the digs i was expecting from the other kids.

My condolences to those Thirty Nine Juve fans and their families and friends, they probably just wanted to get away from idiots like me and mum did.
'When circumstances can not be changed attitude is everything'

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 7, 2013, 03:57:29 pm »
Had to have been tough on yer as a little lad mate. Well done for coming in here and getting it all out and up front.

RIP the 39 souls lost all those years ago.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Ronster

• A Real Man who doesn't like Girlies
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #56 on: November 7, 2013, 10:23:59 pm »
Had to have been tough on yer as a little lad mate. Well done for coming in here and getting it all out and up front.

RIP the 39 souls lost all those years ago.

Cheers Johno. Yeah it was a sad day for football and the thirty nine should never be forgotten.  I'm thirty nine now, getting on a bit and my knees crack when i stand up. In a few years it will be thirty years since Heysel. This RAWK site is massive when you flick through it isn't it? I'm still getting to grips with it to be fair.  Loads of experiences and information, some of it deep within the bowels where you'd never think to look. I only saw this topic the other day and was reading other peoples accounts and thought i might put mine out, even though i was not in the direct vicinity of where it happened, thankfully. My old man was though but he never spoke about it after and he passed on last year.
'When circumstances can not be changed attitude is everything'

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 8, 2013, 09:37:30 pm »
Aye it's s good a place as you'll find on the web in here. May your dad rest in peace mate.

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #58 on: November 9, 2013, 11:57:19 am »
Johno at a UTd man, do you think your club would have been successful without the two disasters? I think a very large part of LFC died in 85 and 89 and took us at least 10 years to recover and still  could be argued are still in recovery. Kenny was the only thing that could keep us afloat after Heysel and by 91 even his shoulders were not strong enough. Its scary to think how powerful the club could have become without 85 and 89.
walk on...walk on...