Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 295578 times)

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #800 on: September 17, 2019, 07:39:15 pm »
Any more Reds in that group? Besides Vice Captain Laura Davies.

I don't know mate. I only found out about Charley because her husband to be asked if I was red or blue.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #801 on: October 17, 2019, 04:54:13 am »
<snip>

His comments about fellow PGA Tour star Rory McIlroy should only make him even more of a lightning rod/fan favorite because this man clearly doesn't care at all about saying what he feels.

Koepka, the No. 1 player in the world right now, had this to say when asked about a rivalry with McIlroy, who stunningly edged out Koepka to win the 2019 Player of the Year award and is currently the No. 2 player in the world:

"I've been out here for, what, five years. Rory hasn't won a major since I've been on the PGA Tour. So I just don't view it as a rivalry," Koepka told AFP ahead of his defence of the CJ Cup in Jeju, South Korea which begins on Thursday.

"I'm not looking at anybody behind me," said Koepka.

"I'm number one in the world. I've got open road in front of me I'm not looking in the rearview mirror, so I don't see it as a rivalry."

Now that, as the cool kids on Twitter say, is the type of content I need directly in my veins.

Koepka is right about that major championship claim, as McIlroy hasn't won one since the 2014 PGA Championship, which was his fourth major championship. Koepka also has four majors, including last year's PGA Championship. He also finished in the top four in all the majors last year. So yeah, he's a beast when it matters most.

<snip>
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #802 on: October 17, 2019, 02:51:34 pm »
<snip>

His comments about fellow PGA Tour star Rory McIlroy should only make him even more of a lightning rod/fan favorite because this man clearly doesn't care at all about saying what he feels.

Koepka, the No. 1 player in the world right now, had this to say when asked about a rivalry with McIlroy, who stunningly edged out Koepka to win the 2019 Player of the Year award and is currently the No. 2 player in the world:

"I've been out here for, what, five years. Rory hasn't won a major since I've been on the PGA Tour. So I just don't view it as a rivalry," Koepka told AFP ahead of his defence of the CJ Cup in Jeju, South Korea which begins on Thursday.

"I'm not looking at anybody behind me," said Koepka.

"I'm number one in the world. I've got open road in front of me I'm not looking in the rearview mirror, so I don't see it as a rivalry."

Now that, as the cool kids on Twitter say, is the type of content I need directly in my veins.

Koepka is right about that major championship claim, as McIlroy hasn't won one since the 2014 PGA Championship, which was his fourth major championship. Koepka also has four majors, including last year's PGA Championship. He also finished in the top four in all the majors last year. So yeah, he's a beast when it matters most.

<snip>

yeah... but he's a bit of a knob.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: October 25, 2019, 11:21:35 am »
20 Years today since Payne Stewart was killed in an Air crash.

Alongside Tiger one of the very best players in the world at the time of his passing

Really good piece on the BBC Sport website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/50153023

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #804 on: October 25, 2019, 11:27:00 am »
20 Years today since Payne Stewart was killed in an Air crash.

Alongside Tiger one of the very best players in the world at the time of his passing

Really good piece on the BBC Sport website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/50153023

vaguely remember it but of course back then wouldn't have got the coverage the modern world provides

He was at his peak too. He was so flamboyant, was ahead of his time in the golfing world. He would have been in his element in the modern game in that regard

Very sad. Particularly poignant reference to the fact his caddie was told when he was out on the course doing prep work for the coming weeks tournament

RIP Payne

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #805 on: October 25, 2019, 11:32:04 am »
20 years, wow, remember my housemate telling me the news. Did he play in the Ryder Cup at Brookline that year? Would have only been a month or so after that.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #806 on: October 25, 2019, 11:40:59 am »
20 years, wow, remember my housemate telling me the news. Did he play in the Ryder Cup at Brookline that year? Would have only been a month or so after that.

yes played against Monty in the Singles for sure

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #807 on: October 25, 2019, 11:42:28 am »

All a bit hazy, think he was one of the few to be a bit apologetic about their pitch invasion! He’d had a bit of a career renaissance as well I think.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: October 25, 2019, 11:53:00 am »
All a bit hazy, think he was one of the few to be a bit apologetic about their pitch invasion! He’d had a bit of a career renaissance as well I think.

Few quotes from monty in that article

Sounded like a very decent fella

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #809 on: October 25, 2019, 11:55:47 am »
I seem to remember that when he pipped Mickelsen to win the US Open that year, he consoled Phil by telling him he's win plenty of Opens in the years to come. It's the only major that Lefty hasn't won.
Conceded the last hole and thus the match as was disgusted at the heckling that Monty was getting after Leonard's putt went in.
Edit: as the BBC article details fully...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:58:05 am by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #810 on: October 25, 2019, 12:04:32 pm »
Few quotes from monty in that article

Sounded like a very decent fella

Sorry, missed that link. It’s a really good read, thanks for sharing.

Don’t think I ever knew the details. I just knew it was a plane crash, didn’t realise it essentially flew the length of the US. Horrible but at least all on board would have been oblivious to the crash.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: October 28, 2019, 02:48:22 pm »

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #812 on: October 28, 2019, 03:54:49 pm »
A letter by Chelsea Stewart, Payne’s daughter
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/payne-stewart-legacy-pga-golf

Bloody hell that was a tough read

Thanks for posting

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: October 28, 2019, 05:06:48 pm »

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: October 28, 2019, 09:53:32 pm »
Yeah it was. Throughout all of this I think his wife has worked wonders with their children
Shows the class of him and his wife

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: November 19, 2019, 02:06:10 pm »
No live coverage of the last two days of The Masters on the BBC anymore. Sky wins exclusive live rights. Sigh.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #816 on: November 20, 2019, 03:18:12 pm »
remember being pretty shocked when I heard he had died alright

he had only won a major that year and all

ryder cup 99 he was class. he got a few people kicked out who heckled monty

didnt realize he had won 3 majors. He played ryder cup in right spirit, very fiery and determined and maybe made one bad comment but he knew there was a line
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #817 on: November 21, 2019, 02:57:13 am »
remember being pretty shocked when I heard he had died alright

he had only won a major that year and all

ryder cup 99 he was class. he got a few people kicked out who heckled monty

didnt realize he had won 3 majors. He played ryder cup in right spirit, very fiery and determined and maybe made one bad comment but he knew there was a line

Stewart conceded the match against Monty, due to the abuse Monty was getting, although the US had already won the cup by then
#Sausages

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: November 21, 2019, 09:34:47 am »
Stewart conceded the match against Monty, due to the abuse Monty was getting, although the US had already won the cup by then
yep i remember it, i actually wrote a review of it here a few years back

cup won or not it rightly went down as a great gesture

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #819 on: December 7, 2019, 01:21:28 am »
I see Patrick Reed got a 2 shot penalty for improving his lie in the bunker. :lmao
#Sausages

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: December 10, 2019, 03:08:36 pm »
I see Patrick Reed got a 2 shot penalty for improving his lie in the bunker. :lmao

Does he wake up every morning and think, how can I make myself look more of a twat than I did yesterday

;D

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #821 on: December 14, 2019, 10:28:35 am »
Does he wake up every morning and think, how can I make myself look more of a twat than I did yesterday

;D

I think he[well his caddy anyway ;)] has topped it, as his caddy has been thrown out of the Presidents Cup after an altercation with a spectator, after the spectator shouted you fucking suck at Reed. :o

.https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/28293368/patrick-reed-caddie-presidents-cup-altercation-fan
#Sausages

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: December 14, 2019, 08:11:16 pm »
Biggest fucking wankstain in golf is P Reed

Guy I play golf with used to work for Adams on tour, in their tour van. The stories he tells about Reed are fucking shocking. He is that much of a twat. However, he's surpassed by his wife and the inlaws. Basically he's been targeted by a hick family and is fucked

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #823 on: December 15, 2019, 01:08:24 pm »
Biggest fucking wankstain in golf is P Reed

Guy I play golf with used to work for Adams on tour, in their tour van. The stories he tells about Reed are fucking shocking. He is that much of a twat. However, he's surpassed by his wife and the inlaws. Basically he's been targeted by a hick family and is fucked
Fully agreed. This guy has absolutely no likeability whatsoever.

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #824 on: February 21, 2020, 11:57:02 am »
I see Koepka pretty much said he was a cheat the other day so def not the most liked guy on the tour. Although not sure if its true but they did a poll once of the least likable golfer and Bubba topped it.

See Rory is pretty much ticking along in the same vein of form we saw last season. The lad tees it up on a Thursday at the moment and is nearly guaranteed a Top 5 finish. Just needs to add to his majors as should have had a couple more by now.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Upanishad

• Change is good
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • hi
« Reply #825 on: February 24, 2020, 01:14:45 am »
Fully agreed. This guy has absolutely no likeability whatsoever.
Seemed to conduct himself ok this week. Was asked indirectly a few times about Koepka’s sandcastles comment but he never took the bait. He’s got a gritty mentality to win tournaments which a few of the others could have done with today. Anyway I’m fairly pleased, got him at 6 to 1 at about the 2nd hole! Great odds for a guy with his game and mental strength when only one shot back. DeChambeau, another tour favourite, must be kicking himself!
Voyager-1 is on course to approach a star called AC +793888, but it will only get to within two light-years of it and it will be tens of thousands of years before it does so.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: February 24, 2020, 01:26:06 am »
If rory had a game from 100yards and in he’d win 5 times a year. Can’t believe how many shit putts and wedges he hit today. Criminal for a man of his talent

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: February 24, 2020, 10:00:22 am »
I missed the end last night but hats off to Reed after a tough week in the spotlight. That lad has some backbone to him as he proved the doubters wrong with some lovely golf over the week. Rory had an off day again on a Sunday but I doubt if he is too worried as he has a month of tweaking to get from Top 5 form to winning a Masters. The leaderboard this weekend was sprinkled with world class golf from Thomas to Rahm. Should be a good year for outstanding golf!!!!
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #828 on: March 1, 2020, 02:18:58 pm »
I've always thought Tommy Fleetwood was overrated and a bit of a nearly man (albeit he's still in his 20s) but he's got a chance to get his first PGA Tour win tonight. He's ranked 12th in the world but hasn't won on the PGA Tour and hasn't won a major despite being in contention a few times. I find that odd, but there you go.

He leads by one at the Honda and he'll never have a better chance to get the monkey off his back. It is a weak field and two of his nearest challengers are Westwood and Donald. A big round coming up for Tommy, if he gets this win he'll be full of renewed confidence going into the majors.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #829 on: March 1, 2020, 10:54:46 pm »
I've always thought Tommy Fleetwood was overrated and a bit of a nearly man (albeit he's still in his 20s) but he's got a chance to get his first PGA Tour win tonight. He's ranked 12th in the world but hasn't won on the PGA Tour and hasn't won a major despite being in contention a few times. I find that odd, but there you go.

He leads by one at the Honda and he'll never have a better chance to get the monkey off his back. It is a weak field and two of his nearest challengers are Westwood and Donald. A big round coming up for Tommy, if he gets this win he'll be full of renewed confidence going into the majors.

Needed a birdie on the last and did an Everton

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #830 on: March 1, 2020, 10:55:17 pm »

He’s fucked it on the 18th. Needed a Birdie for a play off, great tee shot but put the second into the water.

Offline blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: March 1, 2020, 11:02:32 pm »
No idea why he went for that part of the green. Put it in the middle (or even short) and he still has an up and down for a play off.

I'm presuming it was a mishit as he normally draws does he not?

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: March 1, 2020, 11:02:41 pm »
Needs a haircut... :P

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #833 on: March 1, 2020, 11:09:52 pm »
No idea why he went for that part of the green. Put it in the middle (or even short) and he still has an up and down for a play off.

I'm presuming it was a mishit as he normally draws does he not?

Tempting to say he Evertoned it. Shame though.

Offline Upanishad

• Change is good
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • hi
« Reply #834 on: March 1, 2020, 11:22:39 pm »
Did anyone else hear some drunken American idiot scream “GET IN THE HOLE” when Tommy was at the top of his backswing for his second on 18th? If you watch the reply he also looks around behind him after it went into the water.

I agree that he didn’t need to take that shot on, as it seemed his caddy also probably thought, but some of those American fuckwit “fans” take the piss. They’re all completely pissed up anyway

Would never happen at the Open
Voyager-1 is on course to approach a star called AC +793888, but it will only get to within two light-years of it and it will be tens of thousands of years before it does so.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: March 2, 2020, 11:40:49 am »

certainly wouldnt

was well behaved when we went. I recall though kuchar walking to the 7th and i start going "KUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH" you could actually see kuchar trying not to laugh. but all that get in the hole shit is annoying

anyway westwood seems to be in good form, good to see luke donald have a good tournament too. Shame he went to pot, for a few years he was quality and had one of the absolute best short games ever. was world number 1 for best part of a year

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #836 on: March 2, 2020, 12:00:34 pm »
Getting back into the golf this week by going to the driving range after work get there couple times a week . Got new irons been sitting in the house for the last 3 months

want to play more golf this year. I hardly played last year.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #837 on: March 2, 2020, 04:25:53 pm »
Did anyone else hear some drunken American idiot scream “GET IN THE HOLE” when Tommy was at the top of his backswing for his second on 18th? If you watch the reply he also looks around behind him after it went into the water.

I agree that he didn’t need to take that shot on, as it seemed his caddy also probably thought, but some of those American fuckwit “fans” take the piss. They’re all completely pissed up anyway

Tommy Fleetwood says he didn't hear fan who screamed in his backswing on 18

“It didn’t affect anything,” Fleetwood said, standing in the parking lot at day’s end.

He said he didn’t hear it, and it wasn’t a factor.

“I’d be making excuses if I said it was,” Fleetwood said.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/tommy-fleetwood-says-he-didnt-hear-fan-who-screamed-his-backswing-honda-classic

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #838 on: March 2, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »
Doesn't excuse the fact you shouldn't be shouting anything during someones back swing.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: March 2, 2020, 04:39:27 pm »
Doesn't excuse the fact you shouldn't be shouting anything during someones back swing.

True.

But it happens every tournament to every player. They are used to it. Or should be. Tiger, Rory, or the 200th ranked player in the world.