Author Topic: Cambridge Analytica  (Read 32742 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Cambridge Analytica
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2018, 07:46:52 pm »
Typical that Zuck's hiding, he doesn't care.

It hardly took too long to get those points down on paper.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2018, 07:50:44 pm »
Typical that Zuck's hiding, he doesn't care.

It hardly took too long to get those points down on paper.

I'd be extremely surprised if he was within a mile of the person who actually wrote that
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2018, 07:54:28 pm »
Facebooks aggressive behaviour and tactics invade our privacy in the pursuit of data will never change. It always seems like a pertinent time to repost the following exchange when talking about Zuckerberg:

IM exchange on their Harvard campus

Mark had with a college friend might have been telling of things to come as he expressed disbelief that so many people would willingly hand over their information

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2018, 08:23:27 pm »
Zuckerberg statement in full

I want to share an update on the Cambridge Analytica situation -- including the steps we've already taken and our next steps to address this important issue.

We have a responsibility to protect your data, and if we can't then we don't deserve to serve you. I've been working to understand exactly what happened and how to make sure this doesn't happen again. The good news is that the most important actions to prevent this from happening again today we have already taken years ago. But we also made mistakes, there's more to do, and we need to step up and do it.

Here's a timeline of the events:

In 2007, we launched the Facebook Platform with the vision that more apps should be social. Your calendar should be able to show your friends' birthdays, your maps should show where your friends live, and your address book should show their pictures. To do this, we enabled people to log into apps and share who their friends were and some information about them.

In 2013, a Cambridge University researcher named Aleksandr Kogan created a personality quiz app. It was installed by around 300,000 people who shared their data as well as some of their friends' data. Given the way our platform worked at the time this meant Kogan was able to access tens of millions of their friends' data.

In 2014, to prevent abusive apps, we announced that we were changing the entire platform to dramatically limit the data apps could access. Most importantly, apps like Kogan's could no longer ask for data about a person's friends unless their friends had also authorized the app. We also required developers to get approval from us before they could request any sensitive data from people. These actions would prevent any app like Kogan's from being able to access so much data today.

In 2015, we learned from journalists at The Guardian that Kogan had shared data from his app with Cambridge Analytica. It is against our policies for developers to share data without people's consent, so we immediately banned Kogan's app from our platform, and demanded that Kogan and Cambridge Analytica formally certify that they had deleted all improperly acquired data. They provided these certifications.

Last week, we learned from The Guardian, The New York Times and Channel 4 that Cambridge Analytica may not have deleted the data as they had certified. We immediately banned them from using any of our services. Cambridge Analytica claims they have already deleted the data and has agreed to a forensic audit by a firm we hired to confirm this. We're also working with regulators as they investigate what happened.

This was a breach of trust between Kogan, Cambridge Analytica and Facebook. But it was also a breach of trust between Facebook and the people who share their data with us and expect us to protect it. We need to fix that.

In this case, we already took the most important steps a few years ago in 2014 to prevent bad actors from accessing people's information in this way. But there's more we need to do and I'll outline those steps here:

First, we will investigate all apps that had access to large amounts of information before we changed our platform to dramatically reduce data access in 2014, and we will conduct a full audit of any app with suspicious activity. We will ban any developer from our platform that does not agree to a thorough audit. And if we find developers that misused personally identifiable information, we will ban them and tell everyone affected by those apps. That includes people whose data Kogan misused here as well.

Second, we will restrict developers' data access even further to prevent other kinds of abuse. For example, we will remove developers' access to your data if you haven't used their app in 3 months. We will reduce the data you give an app when you sign in -- to only your name, profile photo, and email address. We'll require developers to not only get approval but also sign a contract in order to ask anyone for access to their posts or other private data. And we'll have more changes to share in the next few days.

Third, we want to make sure you understand which apps you've allowed to access your data. In the next month, we will show everyone a tool at the top of your News Feed with the apps you've used and an easy way to revoke those apps' permissions to your data. We already have a tool to do this in your privacy settings, and now we will put this tool at the top of your News Feed to make sure everyone sees it.

Beyond the steps we had already taken in 2014, I believe these are the next steps we must take to continue to secure our platform.

I started Facebook, and at the end of the day I'm responsible for what happens on our platform. I'm serious about doing what it takes to protect our community. While this specific issue involving Cambridge Analytica should no longer happen with new apps today, that doesn't change what happened in the past. We will learn from this experience to secure our platform further and make our community safer for everyone going forward.

I want to thank all of you who continue to believe in our mission and work to build this community together. I know it takes longer to fix all these issues than we'd like, but I promise you we'll work through this and build a better service over the long term.

If this was played to a conference room full of industry people then this statement would be followed by a load of cheering and ‘whooping’ from the audience. Thats what movies have told me about these people.

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2018, 08:41:22 pm »
GDPR will change a lot in the UK, also there is increasing pressure and there has been for a number of years now to totally revamp Ts and Cs which would go a long, long way to enlightening people as to exactly how their data is being used and more importantly why that matters.

I have spoken to friends of mine who are involved in digital industries and all of them understand acutely why this story is so big and are totally engrossed in it. I've spoken to other friends who frankly just don't care, to them this is an absolutely nothing story, just have absolutely no interest in it at all and honestly I'm not surprised.

That's the problem, a lot of people are shrugging at this and saying so what because they have no idea what is and isn't normal and what should or shouldn't be acceptable because this practice has been made purposely murky for a long time.

I’m currently implementing GDPR at work & it strikes me that a more effective way of protesting than cancelling your Facebook account is to spam them with requests to know what data of yours is currently held - as of 25th May and under the new legislation they have to respond with a total disclosure within 30 days - would tie them up in knots and despite them being a US company, they still have to comply with EU directives.
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2018, 08:44:10 pm »
So FB taking the passive aggressive stance and hoping it all disappears with no real repercussions. The statement is utter shit, a bog standard PR response and shows no indication that they take online personal data seriously.

To be honest I expect it will work for the most part, maybe Sandberg will take the fall but beyond that probably not much.

Government response in this area will be interesting.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2018, 08:47:10 pm »
Zucks former mentor is really tearing him apart with these allegations, and i'd well believe what he says. It's very much my line of thinking

Who?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2018, 08:53:33 pm »
Facebooks aggressive behaviour and tactics invade our privacy in the pursuit of data will never change. It always seems like a pertinent time to repost the following exchange when talking about Zuckerberg:

Mark had with a college friend might have been telling of things to come as he expressed disbelief that so many people would willingly hand over their information

I’ve no love for Zuckerberg or Facebook, but as this is completely sourcelsss and in the spirit of the the times - how do I know this isn’t ‘fake news’?

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:15 pm »
I’ve no love for Zuckerberg or Facebook, but as this is completely sourcelsss and in the spirit of the the times - how do I know this isn’t ‘fake news’?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2012/may/18/mark-zuckerberg-college-messages
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2018, 09:00:54 pm »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2018, 09:29:07 pm »

And as strange as it is to say, a re-watch of The Social Network (as fictional as most parts are) may re-jig a few people's memories as to how all this was started.

In fact, with this in light, you could argue that he's a jealous social recluse who turns people's vanity against them, or just a troll who got really, really lucky.

Choose your poison - regardless, Facebook will worm its way out of this, fire a few people and pay extortionate amounts of PR money with TV adverts and new features to appease the masses of worshippers. Meanwhile, there'll be zealots from every corner who are revelling in this (for their own purposes) and will poke fun at the 'faux-outrage'. 

It'll cost them (and others) billions to fix, but those thinking it will be the companies' collective demise are in 'cloud cuckoo land'.

The only real way forward would be for people to organise a mass clear-out of their accounts and prove that what is good for the goose is good for the gander (no pun intended). Scale back on mass-integration and cross-networks...

But then, can you really make water run uphill?

Courtesy of Jim Carrey.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:31:36 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2018, 10:06:12 pm »
834 days after I first informed Facebook about the Cambridge Analytica privacy breach, Mark Zuckerberg responds

says Harry Davies just now on twitter. Who's Harry Davies?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2018, 10:08:52 pm »
The data analytics firm that worked on the Donald Trump election campaign was offered material from Israeli hackers who had accessed the private emails of two politicians who are now heads of state, witnesses have told the Guardian.

Multiple sources have described how senior directors of Cambridge Analytica – including its chief executive, Alexander Nix – gave staff instructions to handle material provided by computer hackers in election campaigns in Nigeria and St Kitts and Nevis.

They claim there were two episodes in 2015 that alarmed members of staff and led them to refuse to handle the data, which they assumed would have been obtained illegally.
http://theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/21/cambridge-analytica-offered-politicians-hacked-emails-witnesses-say?

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2018, 10:46:26 pm »
SCL – a Very British Coup

by Liam O'Hare 20th March 2018

International deception and meddling is the name of the game for SCL. We finally have the most concrete evidence yet of shadowy actors using dirty tricks in order to rig elections. But these characters aren’t operating from Moscow intelligence bunkers.

Instead, they are British, Eton educated, headquartered in the city of London and have close ties to Her Majesty’s government.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2018/03/20/scl-a-very-british-coup/

Naughty, naughty
Victorious and glorious....

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2018, 07:58:18 am »
Who?
Roger McNamee

Who he is:
Roger McNamee is an American businessman, investor, venture capitalist and musician. He is the founding partner of the venture capital firm Elevation Partners

In 2006, before he invested in the firm, McNamee advised Zuckerberg to resist pressure to sell to Yahoo, describing where Facebook’s greatest potential was waiting (with adults at large, not students). Later he urged Zuckerberg to hire Sheryl Sandberg

https://work.qz.com/1233606/maybe-facebook-ceo-mark-zuckerberg-shouldnt-have-blown-off-his-mentor-roger-mcnamee/

Transcript of the channel 4 interview:

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/21/595886212/zuckerbergs-former-mentor-weighs-in-on-cambridge-analytica-statement

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:01:03 am by conman »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2018, 08:01:44 am »
Thanks - can’t be too careful these days ;)
;D

It's a pretty well known quote to be fair and very symptomatic of how he and his firm behaves.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2018, 09:18:55 am »
Well with the way technology is going w.r.t IoT, Big Data and AI, etc... it wouldn't surprise me there are more companies like CA out there already. People may not have any other option other than to connect your devices like your cars, refrigerators, etc... to the network in the future. There is a scope of even more snooping if enough is not done already. When you connect to the network, you lose your privacy then and there.

Though DuckDuckGo doesn't capture your data, your ISP can! As for Facebook, it is not free. I pay for it with my privacy. All privacy policies/settings are either a farce or can help only a little.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2018, 09:24:00 am »
Well with the way technology is going w.r.t IoT, Big Data and AI, etc... it wouldn't surprise me there are more companies like CA out there already. People may not have any other option other than to connect your devices like your cars, refrigerators, etc... to the network in the future. There is a scope of even more snooping if enough is not done already. When you connect to the network, you lose your privacy then and there.

Though DuckDuckGo doesn't capture your data, your ISP can! As for Facebook, it is not free. I pay for it with my privacy. All privacy policies/settings are either a farce or can help only a little.
What the ISP's are doing is just as bad as Facebook, especially in the USA.

Regarding privacy settings... these are the same settings that Facebook has a history of resetting on users.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2018, 09:35:11 am »
What the ISP's are doing is just as bad as Facebook, especially in the USA.

Regarding privacy settings... these are the same settings that Facebook has a history of resetting on users.
Not only in USA, everywhere where there is a market.

And for privacy - exactly! that is why I called it a farce.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:41:43 am by Kovai Red »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2018, 09:52:36 am »
I'd honestly junk FB if it wasn't for my art page.  I really need to crack on with Wix.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:17 am »
Not only in USA, everywhere where there is a market.

Which is everywhere.

I can handle pop-up ads appearing in my sidebar for slippers or hair regrowth shampoo because I did a search on them 3-4 months ago or a bought some online.

What I don't accept is that political advertising, some of which is completely fake could appear in my Facebook news feed and then disappear without a trace and without being attributed to a particular body.

For example, the Brexit Bus. A very powerful tool in the debate in where the UK ended up deciding to go. We now know that it was bullshit, but we all saw it, and everybody knows who produced it.

PS - I've never had a Facebook account.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2018, 10:36:23 am »
Forgive my grammar, I am bad at writing paragraphs  ;D
Which is everywhere.
Depends on what the payer asks. Political parties, FMCG companies, Nike, Adidas, etc...

I can handle pop-up ads appearing in my sidebar for slippers or hair regrowth shampoo because I did a search on them 3-4 months ago or a bought some online.
Basically all the data collection was started for this purpose for mass market. Google built their empire on this if you don't know already. But here you didn't had a choice to choose a variety of competing products. Whoever paid google for their ad, you and me saw their product. Most of the people had a perception that it might be a good one (or know already) when we see it again and again on our browsers. But again, it is our choice whether to buy it or not.

What I don't accept is that political advertising, some of which is completely fake could appear in my Facebook news feed and then disappear without a trace and without being attributed to a particular body.

For example, the Brexit Bus. A very powerful tool in the debate in where the UK ended up deciding to go. We now know that it was bullshit, but we all saw it, and everybody knows who produced it.

PS - I've never had a Facebook account.
This part is the evolution of the first one. Companies saw a market there and they have tapped into it. Whether we accept it or not is secondary for them. They get money for the shit they spread on our feeds. The market here is nothing but various political parties around the world who can pay to put their product/agenda on our feeds to change our perception. Whether we buy into them or not is ultimately our choice.

Their privacy policies and settings are a joke, if they got caught snooping they can always pay fines whatever it may like Google, Apple, etc... does from time to time. They are not going to stop it. No political party will have the will to control these because everyone will need them. All these statements condemning and posturing is just to be politically correct.

Its not that I am standing by their side, but we don't have anyother option other that to get snooped upon if we are connected to the network.

It doesn't matter you have facebook or google account, companies can get the information they want if you are connected to the internet.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2018, 11:44:13 am »
I'd honestly junk FB if it wasn't for my art page.  I really need to crack on with Wix.
Anything but Wix!

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2018, 12:52:57 pm »
Why? Haven't elections always been about "selecting" messages for some people to hear, based on whatever, religion, social class, profession. How is all this not just the same thing keeping up with new social tools?
surely there is a massive difference? Politicians will tailor what they say to fit different groups and shapeshift, but there is always an alternative and you know that the information they give to you is going to have a counter message. If theyre preaching in a town hall or a square in town you turn up and listen through your own choice and know who is delivering you that message. You choose to buy the newspapers that deliver propaganda to you. It is still immoral but what we are talking about here is a foreign entity taking people's data without their consent, selling it, and using it to deliver fake news and political content directly into their ears to influence elections worldwide. There is a world of difference.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2018, 12:55:55 pm »
Kyle Griffin@kylegriffin1
John Bolton’s super PAC has paid Cambridge Analytica more than $1.1 million since 2014 for “research” and “survey research,” a Center for Public Integrity analysis of campaign finance filings shows.
https://www.publicintegrity.org/2018/03/20/21623/john-bolton-eyed-trump-post-leads-super-pac-employed-cambridge-analytica

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2018, 01:01:25 pm »
Kyle Griffin@kylegriffin1
John Bolton’s super PAC has paid Cambridge Analytica more than $1.1 million since 2014 for “research” and “survey research,” a Center for Public Integrity analysis of campaign finance filings shows.
https://www.publicintegrity.org/2018/03/20/21623/john-bolton-eyed-trump-post-leads-super-pac-employed-cambridge-analytica
For fuck sake either shave that dopey looking tash off or dye it the same colour you dyed your hair.    ::)

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2018, 01:04:14 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/22/cambridge-analytica-warrant-high-court-adjourns-hearing-information-commissioner

The information commissioner will have to wait until at least Friday to enter the offices of Cambridge Analytica after a high court judge adjourned the hearing into her application for a warrant.

The commissioner, Elizabeth Denham, announced on Monday night that she planned to request an urgent warrant to enter the company’s London offices, after it was revealed that it had been given information from 50m Facebook profiles without users’ permission.

According to a whistleblower, Cambridge Analytica used the data to build a system that could profile individual US voters, in order to target them with personalised political advertisements.

Denham told Channel 4 News that the company had failed to comply with her request for information, and that she wanted to access files and servers as part of an ongoing investigation into the use of personal data in political campaigns.

A team of investigators who had already been sent into the building by Facebook were stood down, after the commissioner raised concerns that they could compromise her investigation.

The office of the information commissioner (ICO) began the application process on Tuesday, but on Thursday it disclosed that it still did not have a warrant. In a statement on its website, it said: “A high court judge has adjourned the ICO’s application for a warrant relating to Cambridge Analytica until Friday.

“The ICO will be in court to continue to pursue the warrant to obtain access to data and information to take forward our investigation.”

It refused to give any more information about the delay.

On Tuesday, crates were seen being removed from the central London office that Cambridge Analytica shares with other tenants. No one on the scene would comment on the origin of the crates, and the ICO said it was not involved in their removal.

At the same time, Cambridge Analytica said it had offered to let the ICO attend its office voluntarily, “subject to our agreeing the scope of the inspection”.

The culture secretary, Matt Hancock, has hinted that the government will consider further strengthening the information commission’s powers to investigate the misuse of personal data.

Hancock was responding to a Commons question from Labour’s Liam Byrne, who said it was “ludicrous that it has taken so long for her to get a search warrant for Cambridge Analytica’s officers, and it is ludicrous that people frustrating her investigations do not face jail for that frustration”.

Hancock began by criticising Byrne for his “abrasive tone” and said “the data protection bill currently before parliament is all about strengthening this enforcement”. But he added: “If following evidence from this investigation we need to further strengthen those powers, then I am willing to consider that.”

He also repeated previous responses by the government that there were no current contracts between government and the Cambridge Analytica group.     

Anyone here who has knowledge of warrants and how they get approved?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 01:06:20 pm by Wilmo »
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2018, 01:05:54 pm »
surely there is a massive difference? Politicians will tailor what they say to fit different groups and shapeshift, but there is always an alternative and you know that the information they give to you is going to have a counter message. If theyre preaching in a town hall or a square in town you turn up and listen through your own choice and know who is delivering you that message. You choose to buy the newspapers that deliver propaganda to you. It is still immoral but what we are talking about here is a foreign entity taking people's data without their consent, selling it, and using it to deliver fake news and political content directly into their ears to influence elections worldwide. There is a world of difference.
additionally, it's all covert. There is no political party branding or endorsements on these messages.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2018, 01:18:49 pm »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2018, 01:49:17 pm »
So CA has a few days to burn their hard drives...
hopefully the whistleblower has copies, although they’ve known about this for a while so surely they’d have been deleting stuff for some time

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2018, 01:50:15 pm »
For fuck sake either shave that dopey looking tash off or dye it the same colour you dyed your hair.    ::)

He is trying to look like Wilfred Brimly.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2018, 01:52:09 pm »
The pressure should I hope be ramped up on Zuckerberg to answer questions before a public committee.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2018, 01:56:20 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/22/cambridge-analytica-warrant-high-court-adjourns-hearing-information-commissioner

Anyone here who has knowledge of warrants and how they get approved?

The usual process would be to make an application to a magistrate or judge who will grant the warrant based on the supporting evidence and what the warrant seeks to achieve. And usually the process is kept secret so, you know the fraudster, drug dealer or terrorist isn't expecting a knock on the door.

Mind you I've never heard of any other law enforcement agency trumpeting that they will be seeking a warrant like the ICO have been doing and it's almost like, by giving days of advancec notice, they don't want to find anything too embarrassing.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2018, 02:02:03 pm »
The usual process would be to make an application to a magistrate or judge who will grant the warrant based on the supporting evidence and what the warrant seeks to achieve. And usually the process is kept secret so, you know the fraudster, drug dealer or terrorist isn't expecting a knock on the door.

Mind you I've never heard of any other law enforcement agency trumpeting that they will be seeking a warrant like the ICO have been doing and it's almost like, by giving days of advancec notice, they don't want to find anything too embarrassing.

Cheers for the response, very informative.

You say that warrants aren't usually announced - that struck me as a bit weird at the time but I didn't know enough about it to have an opinion. CA were issuing legal threats to C4 well in advance of the show airing so they would have had ample time to delete anything they needed in any case. Perhaps a way of publicly showing that they're serious about tackling this? I hope, in any case.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2018, 02:10:39 pm »
SCL and the Phantom Contract

Theresa May was yesterday forced into addressing the issue of links between the UK Government, the Conservative Party and a company at the centre of a scandal over data harvesting and dirty tricks.

However, instead of clearing up the issue – the response has raised urgent questions about the nature of SCL Group’s (formerly Strategic Communications Laboratories) relationship to the highest echelons of state power in Britain.

SCL Group is the parent company of Cambridge Analytica. They share directors and practise and are for all intents and purposes part of the same organisation. Between them they claim to have influenced more than 200 elections across the world.

In an article for this website, I revealed the extent of the links between SCL Group and the British establishment – in particular the Conservative Party. Directors include an array of Etonian educated Tory donors, former government ministers, and high-ranking officers in the British army.

These revelations led to the SNP’s Westminster leader Ian Blackford questioning  May about these links at Prime Minister’s Questions yesterday.

Her response sidestepped the issue of connections between her own party and the organisation and emphasised that the government has no “current contracts” with SCL Group.

A Downing Street spokesperson later clarified that the government previously had three contracts with SCL Group.  One was with the Ministry of Defence between 2014-2015, one with the Home Office in 2009 and one with the Foreign Office in 2008-2009. Here lies a glaring inconsistency.

Last year, the MOD responded to a freedom of information request on its links with SCL Group. In its response it detailed TWO contracts it had with the firm. One of these was in 2014-15, worth £150,000 and involving the “procurement of targeted audience analysis”.  However, it also notes a second contract (not mentioned by the No 10 spokesperson) , in 2010/11 involving the “provision of external training” and worth £40,000.

I put this major discrepancy to Downing St who insisted that there were only ever three government contracts with the group and suggested I speak to the Ministry of Defence.

Then when I questioned the MOD about the 2010/11 deal, it told me it had “one contract with SCL Group in 2014/15” and are “unable to provide any further information on this.”

The response is quite remarkable. The MOD is now contradicting previous information it has given out under Freedom of Information laws. That leaves two options. The first is that the initial information was incorrect and someone imagined a deal with SLC group for external training in 2010/11.

The second is that the MOD and Downing St are providing false information to journalists regarding their dealings with SCL Group. This possibility would open a pandora’s box of questions over what the government is seeking to hide and why?

It was revealed yesterday that Mark Turnbull of SCL Group and CA advised the Foreign Office on lessons from Donald Trump’s election campaign. The title of his lecture was listed as “examining the application of data in the recent US Presidential election”. That raises questions over whether the British government was already aware of the mass harvesting of Facebook data which sparked this scandal.

Details are emerging about the worldwide activities of SCL Group and CA, touching almost every corner of the globe stretching from Brazil, to Nigeria, to Mexico and to India. But it has now emerged that in at least some of these these projects, CA coordinated with the UK MOD.

In Ukraine, CA were hired to implement a data driven strategy designed to “erode and weaken” anti-government opposition in the country and “win back control of Donetsk”.  On their website the CA says it produced a project report to the President of Ukraine and intriguingly also “shared with the UK MOD”. It begs the questions, why is a private contractor involved in shadowy psyops working hand in glove with the UK MOD on foreign projects?

With a spotlight on the organisation, the group seems to be quickly trying to batten down the hatches. The website for the Behaviour Dynamic Institute (BDI), the behavioural research arm of SCL group has mysteriously gone down.

Remarkably (although perhaps less so regarding how close SCL is to the British establishment) the institute is based at the home of British science and research, the Royal Institute. According to a paper by the SCL director of defence Dr Steve Tatham, this makes it “almost unique in the international contractor community”. Quite.

Tatham is another interesting case. He was former head of psyops for British forces in Afghanistan as well as Special Information Operations project officer in the UK Ministry of Defence Operations Directorate.

Tatham went on to set up the training arm of SCL Group called IOTA-Global alongside SCL founder Nigel Oakes and delivered a $1m NATO training course in Latvia aimed at “countering Russian propaganda”.

I contacted Tatham to ask if he would continue working with SCL group in light of the revelations, and he responded by saying “I suspect your question is academic as I can’t see SCL surviving this”.

In further messages, Tatham distanced himself from Cambridge Analytica, the offshoot from SCL Group, and insisted his activities were “ethical” and “truthful”.

“I have worked with SCL Defence on defence projects which is well documented, for example the NATO counter propaganda course in Latvia in 2015,” Tatham told me.

“In UK and NATO doctrine Psyops is ‘truthful and attributable comms with specific target audiences’ not the the appalling stuff CA (Cambridge Analytica) appears to have undertaken,”

“A point about what and who we train. Only NATO and friendly governments. And we only train truthful and attributable techniques. Why? Because our clients work with NATO and that is UK and NATO doctrine…  as ex UK military senior officer I have strong personal ethics and that is why we are all so appalled at the revelations about CA”.

With founder Alexander Nix being suspended from Cambridge Analytica, a pattern seems to be developing that shifts all blame for the recent scandals onto the subsidiary as opposed to the parent company SCL Group.

However, with the links between the two organisations evident and further revelations emerging every day, it seems clear that this will not wash.

It’s now time for the UK government to come completely clean on exactly what ties it had with SCL Group and answer the following questions:

Was it aware of the data harvesting used in the US election?

What is the phantom contract with the MOD in 2010/11 and what did the ‘external training’ involve?

What did the other contracts that the government had with SCL Group involve and did it make any other payments to the group, outside of the contracts?

Was there coordination between SCL Group and the MOD in other countries as existed in Ukraine?

Why is taking so long for the Information Commissioner to get a warrant to search databases and servers of Cambridge Analytica?

Until these are answered, we can expect this scandal, which reaches the heart of unaccountable British power, to rumble on and on.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2018/03/22/scl-and-the-phantom-contract/
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2018, 02:14:18 pm »
So CA has a few days to burn their hard drives...

Already removing stuff from thier offices.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:18:48 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2018, 02:25:38 pm »

Not really. A person is just as capable of seeing a Facebook post and thinking, that's bullshit. If I'm a politician giving a speech in a rural town, I'm going to tailor my words to the audience. That's no different than tailoring Facebook posts and ads based on what the person's perceived tastes are. The only difference is that with these Facebook messages, they stole the data but that doesn't compel the target to believe what they are being pushed. The person receiving the message still needs to exercise some discretion as to whether or not they actually believe what they're being told. There is always an alternative.

I've seen the Russian/bot/political push posts on Facebook. They look stupid and fake to me, just like Soviet era propaganda, or Daily Mail headlines. People need to take responsibility for what they swallow, and that goes for the internet just as much as for newspapers or tv. Facebook "messaging" may even be more effective but it's still the same drug.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2018, 02:42:17 pm »
Not really. A person is just as capable of seeing a Facebook post and thinking, that's bullshit. If I'm a politician giving a speech in a rural town, I'm going to tailor my words to the audience. That's no different than tailoring Facebook posts and ads based on what the person's perceived tastes are. The only difference is that with these Facebook messages, they stole the data but that doesn't compel the target to believe what they are being pushed. The person receiving the message still needs to exercise some discretion as to whether or not they actually believe what they're being told. There is always an alternative.

I've seen the Russian/bot/political push posts on Facebook. They look stupid and fake to me, just like Soviet era propaganda, or Daily Mail headlines. People need to take responsibility for what they swallow, and that goes for the internet just as much as for newspapers or tv. Facebook "messaging" may even be more effective but it's still the same drug.
but as conman pointed out, you know who those people stand for, with CA these videos and memes and whatever else they put out were presented as "news" from seemingly independent accounts. Not from the mainstream media or the experts they were taught not to trust. Yes, people should still use their discretion, and a lot of people wouldve done. But that doesnt make it okay and these tactics were probably enough to swing multiple elections.

And there is a difference. If a politician is giving a speech in a rural town then he is being transparent, asking you to vote for him and his party. You would show up knowing that its a political event and you could listen to what was said and come to your own verdict. CA has none of that transparency. Nobody agreed their data could be used so one side of a political argument could whisper in your ear constantly on a social media site you otherwise use to look at funny dogs and cats videos. Nobody knew who those messages were coming from and if they did they might have used their better judgement to dismiss it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:47:23 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2018, 02:47:02 pm »
People need to take responsibility for what they swallow, and that goes for the internet just as much as for newspapers or tv. Facebook "messaging" may even be more effective but it's still the same drug.

I do agree that people need to check their sources. When you break it down as you have done, it may be little more than the 21st century version of propaganda - but surely you don't see it as a positive thing?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.