Author Topic: Social Media  (Read 40975 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Social Media - Good/Bad Discussion
« Reply #80 on: April 4, 2018, 10:26:01 am »
Would agree with some of what you say there. I do see a distinction to be made between 'social media' and 'shitty social media companies' behaviour'. Interesting point about spilling our guts out. Are you telling me that you don't want to see my pictures of afternoon tea in Harrogate yesterday? ;) Slightly more seriously, yeah, there's a lot to it obviously and this, as you say, is only one perspective out of many. As Ryan says, there's also a paradox there with social media also sometimes having a negative impact upon people's mental health. We're social critters but hell is other people.

Ultimately its not social media people are rallying against, its the businesses and their behaviour. Social media is clearly now here to stay for better or for worse so there is definitely the possibility that things can and will replace platforms like Facebook.

Obviously the counter argument could be that its the data and its harvesting that brings the money in and allows the scale of such operations and for it to build such a vast ‘community’. I also am sceptical of the impact it has on politics and how we vote and I certainly havent been convinced that it won Brexit and put Trump in the White House.

Surely its not beyond the wits of man though to produce something different that doesnt behave in such shady ways.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2018, 05:52:24 pm »
Facebook details scale of abuse on its site

Facebook says it deleted or added warnings to about 29 million posts that broke its rules on hate speech, graphic violence, terrorism and sex, over the first three months of the year.

It is the first time that the firm has published figures detailing the scale of efforts to enforce its rules.

Facebook is developing artificial intelligence tools to support the work of its 17,000 human moderators.

But the report suggest the software struggles to spot some types of abuse.

For example, the algorithms only flagged 38% of identified hate speech posts over the period, meaning 62% were only addressed because users had reported them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44122967

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2018, 06:45:59 pm »
Without reading what’s gone before. One thing I will say is it has the ability to bring out absolute nut jobs . I used to use Facebook to keep in touch with friends from afar. I only use it to troll flat earthers and conspiracy theorists now. I use WhatsApp and that’s about it really. I can’t really be arsed with Facebook anymore. I’m sick of seeing pictures of women with fake dog noses and ears and hair like that. What the fuck is that about? Fully grown women too, in their 30-s upwards. It’s bizarre. I apologise for contributing little to nothing to the discussion.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2018, 10:22:33 pm »
Facebook is a load of fake people bragging about their perfect lives.

Attention seeking drama queens.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2018, 03:04:30 am »
Facebook is a load of fake people bragging about their perfect lives.

Attention seeking drama queens.

Problem is Paul if these people actually had so called "perfect lives" then they wouldn't be wasting so much time on the site in the first place, conversely all it says to me is that the majority of people who use facebook on a regular basis are rather sad, lonely individuals desperately reaching out for some kind of human contact.

From a totally psychological pov it's always interesting to see couples or friends in coffee shops who spend the entire time there on their phones thus barely speaking to one another, what a fantastic waste of companionship.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2018, 09:29:02 am »

Don't really want to be a fence sitter, but as many have said, there are bad things and good things about social media, at least certain types of social media. Before Facebook came into being,  there was no simple way to re-connect with old friends and acquaintances.  Its far easier to maintain contact with a much larger base of people with the likes of facebook than to individually seek their email ids or phone numbers and create a directory.  Social media has made wishing people on their birthdays and anniversaries a simple task, with alerts to notify you of an upcoming event. Social media has also made it easy for people like me with varied interests to find other like-minded people and stay updated with the latest.

Having said that, facebook has become a cumbersome behemoth now, with so much going on that it is impossible to keep track of anything. I barely post anything on FB and neither do I read much content. I just use it to stay in touch with people who are worth staying in touch, that is all. All the annoying adverts, ugly selfies, checkins updates and what not have successfully pushed me away from FB. Wading through a sea of crap to look for nuggets of good content and relevant updates is something I refuse to do in the interest of time and my sanity.

Linkedin is the only 'social media' I use, primarily to keep connected with professionals from my field and stay abreast with the latest updates and happenings in the space. I use Linkedin purely on a professional basis the way it is supposed to be used. 

Instagram used to be decent a while ago when people actually posted genuinely good photos as opposed to selfies and party pics.  Thanks to fb, even instagram is populated by selfie clickers and attention seekers now.
Phuk yoo

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2018, 09:35:50 am »
Problem is Paul if these people actually had so called "perfect lives" then they wouldn't be wasting so much time on the site in the first place, conversely all it says to me is that the majority of people who use facebook on a regular basis are rather sad, lonely individuals desperately reaching out for some kind of human contact.

From a totally psychological pov it's always interesting to see couples or friends in coffee shops who spend the entire time there on their phones thus barely speaking to one another, what a fantastic waste of companionship.

Psychologically interesting but personally sad.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2018, 12:39:31 pm »

I agree with every word you type out mate.
This sums social media up perfectly for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWKzVxMzvxg

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2018, 04:27:10 pm »
Christopher Wylie, Cambridge Analytica whistle-blower, is testifying in Washington at the moment. I thought this was an interesting exchange:

Wylie: Social media is not really a choice for most people. The internet is not really a choice for most people. I don’t know a job that would let you go in and not use Google. Although we use this narrative of choice, they substantially don’t have a choice. I don’t know a job that would hire someone who refuses to use the internet.

Cornyn: There’s this idea in the law that your consent must be informed. Is that too much to ask for?

Wylie: People absolutely should have informed consent. But when you go and see a doctor, you consenting to surgery is proportionate to the benefit you are getting. When someone “consents” to something online, if that’s the only way you can get a job it’s not really a fair situation. We should take a step back from this narrative of consent and look at the fact that you don’t have a lot of choice.

Cornyn: But I can use Twitter instead of Facebook.

Wylie: Yeah, but they all do the same thing and conduct a huge amount of data comparative to the benefit they give you.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 1, 2018, 11:04:46 pm »
Facebook losing out to YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat among US teens

US teenagers are ditching Facebook in favour of platforms such as YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat, a study says.

Only 51% use Facebook, which is a 20 percentage point drop since 2015, when the US-based Pew Research Center last surveyed teens' social media habits.

Most of those aged 13 to 17 own or have access to a smartphone, with 45% online on a near-constant basis.

YouTube has stolen Facebook's former dominance over teens, with 85% of them preferring the video-sharing platform.

Second and third top social media services among teens are now Instagram at 72% and Snapchat at 69%.

The numbers of teens who use Twitter (32%) and Tumblr (14%) are largely unchanged compared to the results found in 2015.

While Facebook may have lost its reign among the teenage demographic to Google-owned YouTube, it has owned the rising favourite Instagram, a photo and video-sharing networking service, since 2012.

The Pew study, which surveyed nearly 750 teens in one month earlier this year, found that the increase in smartphone ownership played a huge part in teen life. Today's 95% is a 22-point increase from the 73% of teens three years ago.

It also found, consistent with previous studies, that while most teens used the same social media platforms as their peers, low-income teens were more likely to prefer Facebook than teens from a higher-income household.

The Pew survey could not find clear consensus among teens about the effects of social media on their lives.

Almost a third described the effect as mostly positive, and a quarter saying mostly negative. The largest bloc, 45%, said that the effect was neither positive nor negative

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44329488

That smartphone figure is quite something.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 1, 2018, 11:22:29 pm »
Doesn't surprise me. I'm of an older generation (31) but more of my friends delete their Facebook account every month. I keep mine for specific reasons (sharing photos with family/family friends mainly, I have a very widely dispersed family) but would delete it if it weren't for that.

Facebook feels very dated these days, it has failed to stay ahead of the curve.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #91 on: June 7, 2018, 11:43:10 pm »

:D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bbNkuETJTK8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bbNkuETJTK8</a>

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: August 6, 2018, 06:10:49 pm »
Facebook has apparently been asking large US banks to share the account details of their customers including checking account balances and card transactions. Are companies like facebook even allowed access to this kind of data?

At the end it does say facebook promises not to share the data or use it for advertising, so its all totally ok, what could go wrong.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-facebook-banks/facebook-asks-u-s-banks-for-financial-info-to-boost-user-engagement-wsj-idUSKBN1KR1KY

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: August 6, 2018, 07:04:37 pm »
Probably is for the states, in the EU they’d probably be bankrupt doing this.

Some fucking nerve them running those ads and doing this shit

Offline Team Sleep

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A walking surplus.
« Reply #94 on: August 6, 2018, 08:48:19 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3MfZ0LHcVRU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3MfZ0LHcVRU</a>

Interesting 14 minute discussion about one particular fake Twitter account, the concept of "astroturfing" to distort or stifle debate and "the ecosystem of fake". The point made around digital media literacy is interesting and ties into an article I've posted before (and think it's well worth sharing again) - "Say goodbye to the information age: it’s all about reputation now". Do people know how (or care enough) to be discerning?

Some interesting metrics on the account being discussed:

Sourced from: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/david-jones-pro-brexit-ukip-twitter-account-russia-fake-bot-troll-trump-disinformation-followers-a7920181.html

Interesting collection of articles on the ecosystem of fake here; it's not just Russian troll factories but all manner of influencers, be that competing nations, corporations and individuals seeking influence: https://medium.com/mentionmapp/investigating-the-ecosystem-of-fake-preceding-the-times-d6c27215b15b

In the face of all this, it's worth reflecting on the Paradox of Tolerance: "If a society is tolerant without limit, their ability to be tolerant will eventually be seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Popper came to the seemingly paradoxical conclusion that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance."

What would or should a tolerant, liberal Democracy do, not wanting to stifle free speech or even be accused of doing so? We know that an authoritarian, right-wing Government would not allow this to fester and undermine it, the irony being that we continue to see the alt-right, nationalist movements and authoritarian Governments benefit from fake news, fake accounts and the mis-use of data, flaunting the law or the lack thereof as technology outpaces the legal system.

What could, or should, a corporation do or be made to do, when they profit from high user numbers on incredibly active sites, and keep their costs lower by failing to adequately police it?

I don't pretend to have any answers, but after Trump's election victory, Brexit and the consistent hijacking of hashtags to rile up one or both sides, it's now time to begin to rein in this mess. But whose responsibility is it?
« Last Edit: August 6, 2018, 08:54:44 pm by Team Sleep »

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #95 on: August 9, 2018, 08:48:08 pm »
I use Twitter and FB but not endlessly more as a way in FB keeping in touch with relatives around the globe. Twitter is really funny at times it can be provocative with the odd twitter storm but it is also a way some people can be held to account for previous statement or lies such as Nadine Dorries is finding out.

In the end though they are a tool to communicate and both are only as good as the hopefully responsible person who is using it.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2018, 11:01:02 pm »

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2018, 01:58:16 am »
And here ends the Zuckerberg for President campaign
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/technology/facebook-data-russia-election-racism.html

Always thought he would turn Republican if he decided to run. It's interesting that Sandberg was similar in that a former Clinton aide was increasingly placing republicans into important positions to massage the message. Also a clear indication as to why Clinton was such an unpopular choice on many matters to many Democrats and swing voters.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2018, 08:49:34 pm »
Here is an interesting story from The Washington Post. It demonstrates the depth of the problem. I wonder how do we solve this without policing/censorship the Internet? The article is funny (in part). We all know this happens, but it nice how this article provides a narration from both sides: one, an Internet satirist; the other, a gullible consumer.

It's behind a paywall, but I have provided the content in the spoiler. It's a good read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nothing-on-this-page-is-real-how-lies-become-truth-in-online-america/2018/11/17/edd44cc8-e85a-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html

Spoiler
‘Nothing on this page is real’: How lies become truth in online America

By Eli Saslow
November 17 at 7:40 PM

NORTH WATERBORO, Maine — The only light in the house came from the glow of three computer monitors, and Christopher Blair, 46, sat down at a keyboard and started to type. His wife had left for work and his children were on their way to school, but waiting online was his other community, an unreality where nothing was exactly as it seemed. He logged onto his website and began to invent his first news story of the day.

“BREAKING,” he wrote, pecking out each letter with his index fingers as he considered the possibilities. Maybe he would announce that Hillary Clinton had died during a secret overseas mission to smuggle more refugees into America. Maybe he would award President Trump the Nobel Peace Prize for his courage in denying climate change.

A new message popped onto Blair’s screen from a friend who helped with his website. “What viral insanity should we spread this morning?” the friend asked.

“The more extreme we become, the more people believe it,” Blair replied.

He had launched his new website on Facebook during the 2016 presidential campaign as a practical joke among friends — a political satire site started by Blair and a few other liberal bloggers who wanted to make fun of what they considered to be extremist ideas spreading throughout the far right. In the last two years on his page, America’s Last Line of Defense, Blair had made up stories about California instituting sharia, former president Bill Clinton becoming a serial killer, undocumented immigrants defacing Mount Rushmore, and former president Barack Obama dodging the Vietnam draft when he was 9. “Share if you’re outraged!” his posts often read, and thousands of people on Facebook had clicked “like” and then “share,” most of whom did not recognize his posts as satire. Instead, Blair’s page had become one of the most popular on Facebook among Trump-supporting conservatives over 55.

“Nothing on this page is real,” read one of the 14 disclaimers on Blair’s site, and yet in the America of 2018 his stories had become real, reinforcing people’s biases, spreading onto Macedonian and Russian fake news sites, amassing an audience of as many 6 million visitors each month who thought his posts were factual. What Blair had first conceived of as an elaborate joke was beginning to reveal something darker. “No matter how racist, how bigoted, how offensive, how obviously fake we get, people keep coming back,” Blair once wrote, on his own personal Facebook page. “Where is the edge? Is there ever a point where people realize they’re being fed garbage and decide to return to reality?”

Blair’s own reality was out beyond the shuttered curtains of his office: a three-bedroom home in the forest of Maine where the paved road turned to gravel; not his house but a rental; not on the lake but near it. Over the past decade his family had moved around the country a half-dozen times as he looked for steady work, bouncing between construction and restaurant jobs while sometimes living on food stamps. During the economic crash of 2008, his wife had taken a job at Wendy’s to help pay down their credit-card debt, and Blair, a lifelong Democrat, had begun venting his political frustration online, arguing with strangers in an Internet forum called Brawl Hall. He sometimes masqueraded as a tea party conservative on Facebook so he could gain administrative access into their private groups and then flood their pages with liberal ideas before using his administrative status to shut their pages down.

He had created more than a dozen online profiles over the last years, sometimes disguising himself in accompanying photographs as a beautiful Southern blond woman or as a bandana-wearing conservative named Flagg Eagleton, baiting people into making racist or sexist comments and then publicly eviscerating them for it. In his writing Blair was blunt, witty and prolific, and gradually he’d built a liberal following on the Internet and earned a full-time job as a political blogger. On the screen, like nowhere else, he could say exactly how he felt and become whomever he wanted.

Now he hunched over a desk wedged between an overturned treadmill and two turtle tanks, scanning through conservative forums on Facebook for something that might inspire his next post. He was 6-foot-6 and 325 pounds, and he typed several thousand words each day in all capital letters. He noticed a photo online of Trump standing at attention for the national anthem during a White House ceremony. Behind the president were several dozen dignitaries, including a white woman standing next to a black woman, and Blair copied the picture, circled the two women in red and wrote the first thing that came into his mind.

“President Trump extended an olive branch and invited Michelle Obama and Chelsea Clinton,” Blair wrote. “They thanked him by giving him ‘the finger’ during the national anthem. Lock them up for treason!”

Blair finished typing and looked again at the picture. The white woman was not in fact Chelsea Clinton but former White House strategist Hope Hicks. The black woman was not Michelle Obama but former Trump aide Omarosa Newman. Neither Obama nor Clinton had been invited to the ceremony. Nobody had flipped off the president. The entire premise was utterly ridiculous, which was exactly Blair’s point.

“We live in an Idiocracy,” read a small note on Blair’s desk, and he was taking full advantage. In a good month, the advertising revenue from his website earned him as much as $15,000, and it had also won him a loyal army of online fans. Hundreds of liberals now visited America’s Last Line of Defense to humiliate conservatives who shared Blair’s fake stories as fact. In Blair’s private Facebook messages with his liberal supporters, his conservative audience was made up of “sheep,” “hillbillies,” “maw-maw and paw-paw,” “TrumpTards,” “potatoes” and “taters.”

“How could any thinking person believe this nonsense?” he said. He hit the publish button and watched as his lie began to spread.

It was barely dawn in Pahrump, Nev., when Shirley Chapian, 76, logged onto Facebook for her morning computer game of Criminal Case. She believed in starting each day with a problem-solving challenge, a quick mental exercise to keep her brain sharp more than a decade into retirement. For a while it had been the daily crossword puzzle, but then the local newspaper stopped delivering and a friend introduced her to the viral Facebook game with 65 million players. She spent an hour as a 1930s detective, interrogating witnesses and trying to parse their lies from the truth until finally she solved case No. 48 and clicked over to her Facebook news feed.

“Good morning, Shirley! Thanks for being here,” read an automated note at the top of her page. She put her finger on the mouse and began scrolling down.

“Click LIKE if you believe we must stop Sharia Law from coming to America before it’s too late,” read the first item, and she clicked “like.”

“Share to help END the ongoing migrant invasion!” read another, and she clicked “share.”

The house was empty and quiet except for the clicking of her computer mouse. She lived alone, and on many days her only personal interaction occurred here, on Facebook. Mixed into her morning news feed were photos and updates from some of her 300 friends, but most items came directly from political groups Chapian had chosen to follow: “Free Speech Patriots,” “Taking Back America,” “Ban Islam,” “Trump 2020” and “Rebel Life.” Each political page published several posts each day directly into Chapian’s feed, many of which claimed to be “BREAKING NEWS.”

On her computer the attack against America was urgent and unrelenting. Liberals were restricting free speech. Immigrants were storming the border and casting illegal votes. Politicians were scheming to take away everyone’s guns. “The second you stop paying attention, there’s another travesty underway in this country,” Chapian once wrote, in her own Facebook post, so she had decided to always pay attention, sometimes scrolling and sharing for hours at a time.

“BREAKING: Democrat mega-donor accused of sexual assault!!!”

“Is Michelle Obama really dating Bruce Springsteen?”

“Iowa Farmer Claims Bill Clinton had Sex with Cow during ‘Cocaine Party.’ ”

On display above Chapian’s screen were needlepoints that had once occupied much of her free time, intricate pieces of artwork that took hundreds of hours to complete, but now she didn’t have the patience. Out her window was a dead-end road of identical beige-and-brown rock gardens surrounding double-wide trailers that looked similar to her own, many of them occupied by neighbors whom she’d never met. Beyond that was nothing but cactuses and heat waves for as far as she could see — a stretch of unincorporated land that continued from her backyard into the desert.

She’d spent almost a decade in Pahrump without really knowing why. The heat could be unbearable. She had no family in Nevada. She loved going to movies, and the town of 30,000 didn’t have a theater. It seemed to her like a place in the business of luring people — into the air-conditioned casinos downtown, into the legal brothels on the edge of the desert, into the new developments of cheap housing available for no money down — and in some ways she’d become stuck, too.

She had lived much of her life in cities throughout Europe and across the United States — places such as San Francisco, New York and Miami. She’d gone to college for a few years and become an insurance adjuster, working as one of the few women in the field in the 1980s and ’90s and joining the National Organization for Women to advocate for an equal wage before eventually moving to Rhode Island to work for a hospice and care for her aging parents. After her mother died, Chapian decided to retire and move to Las Vegas to live with a friend, and when Las Vegas become too expensive a real estate agent told her about Pahrump. She bought a three-bedroom trailer for less than $100,000 and painted it purple. She met a few friends at the local senior center and started eating at the Thai restaurant in town. A few years after arriving, she bought a new computer monitor and signed up for Facebook in 2009, choosing as her profile image a photo of her cat.

“Looking to connect with friends and other like-minded people,” she wrote then.

She had usually voted for Republicans, just like her parents, but it was only on Facebook that Chapian had become a committed conservative. She was wary of Obama in the months after his election, believing him to be both arrogant and inexperienced, and on Facebook she sought out a litany of information that seemed to confirm her worst fears, unaware that some of that information was false. It wasn’t just that Obama was liberal, she read; he was actually a socialist. It wasn’t just that his political qualifications were thin; it was that he had fabricated those qualifications, including parts of his college transcripts and maybe even his birth certificate.

For years she had watched network TV news, but increasingly Chapian wondered about the widening gap between what she read online and what she heard on the networks. “What else aren’t they telling us?” she wrote once, on Facebook, and if she believed the mainstream media was becoming insufficient or biased, it was her responsibility to seek out alternatives. She signed up for a dozen conservative newsletters and began to watch Alex Jones on Infowars. One far right Facebook group eventually led her to the next with targeted advertising, and soon Chapian was following more than 2,500 conservative pages, an ideological echo chamber that often trafficked in skepticism. Climate change was a hoax. The mainstream media was censored or scripted. Political Washington was under control of a “deep state.”

Chapian didn’t believe everything she read online, but she was also distrustful of mainstream fact-checkers and reported news. It sometimes felt to her like real facts had become indiscernible — that the truth was often somewhere in between. What she trusted most was her own ability to think critically and discern the truth, and increasingly her instincts aligned with the online community where she spent most of her time. It had been months since she’d gone to a movie. It had been almost a year since she’d made the hour-long trip to Las Vegas. Her number of likes and shares on Facebook increased each year until she was sometimes awakening to check her news feed in the middle of the night, liking and commenting on dozens of posts each day. She felt as if she was being let in on a series of dark revelations about the United States, and it was her responsibility to see and to share them.

“I’m not a conspiracy-theory-type person, but . . .” she wrote, before sharing a link to an unsourced story suggesting that Democratic donor George Soros had been a committed Nazi, or that a Parkland shooting survivor was actually a paid actor.

Now another post arrived in her news feed, from a page called America’s Last Line of Defense, which Chapian had been following for more than a year. It showed a picture of Trump standing at a White House ceremony. Circled in the background were two women, one black and one white.

“President Trump extended an olive branch and invited Michelle Obama and Chelsea Clinton,” the post read. “They thanked him by giving him ‘the finger’ during the national anthem.”

Chapian looked at the photo and nothing about it surprised her. Of course Trump had invited Clinton and Obama to the White House in a generous act of patriotism. Of course the Democrats — or “Demonrats,” as Chapian sometimes called them — had acted badly and disrespected America. It was the exact same narrative she saw playing out on her screen hundreds of times each day, and this time she decided to click ‘like’ and leave a comment.

“Well, they never did have any class,” she wrote.

Blair had invented thousands of stories in the past two years, always trafficking in the same stereotypes to fool the same people, but he never tired of watching a post take off: Eight shares in the first minute, 160 within 15 minutes, more than 1,000 by the end of the hour.

“Aaaaand, we’re viral,” he wrote, in a message to his liberal supporters on his private Facebook page. “It’s getting to the point where I can no longer control the absolute absurdity of the things I post. No matter how ridiculous, how obviously fake, or how many times you tell the same taters . . . they will still click that ‘like’ and hit that share button.”

By the standards of America’s Last Line of Defense, the item about Michelle Obama and Chelsea Clinton was only a moderate success. It included no advertisements, so it wouldn’t earn Blair any money. It wasn’t even the most popular of the 11 items he’d published that day. But, just an hour earlier, Blair had come up with an idea at his computer in Maine, and now hundreds or maybe thousands of people across the country believed Obama and Clinton had flipped off the president.

“Gross. Those women have no respect for themselves,” wrote a woman in Fort Washakie, Wyo.

“They deserve to be publicly shunned,” said a man in Gainesville, Fla.

“Not surprising behavior from such ill bred trash.”

“Jail them now!!!”

Blair had fooled them. Now came his favorite part, the gotcha, when he could let his victims in on the joke.

“OK, taters. Here’s your reality check,” he wrote on America’s Last Line of Defense, placing his comment prominently alongside the original post. “That is Omarosa and Hope Hicks, not Michelle Obama and Chelsea Clinton. They wouldn’t be caught dead posing for this pseudo-patriotic nationalistic garbage . . . Congratulations, stupid.”

Beyond the money he earned, this was what Blair had conceived of as the purpose for his website: to engage directly with people who spread false or extremist stories and prove those stories were wrong. Maybe, after people had been publicly embarrassed, they would think more critically about what they shared online. Maybe they would begin to question the root of some of their ideas.

Blair didn’t have time to personally confront each of the several hundred thousand conservatives who followed his Facebook page, so he’d built a community of more than 100 liberals to police the page with him. Together they patrolled the comments, venting their own political anger, shaming conservatives who had been fooled, taunting them, baiting them into making racist comments that could then be reported to Facebook. Blair said he and his followers had gotten hundreds of people banned from Facebook and several others fired or demoted in their jobs for offensive behavior online. He had also forced Facebook to shut down 22 fake news sites for plagiarizing his content, many of which were Macedonian sites that reran his stories without labeling them as satire.

What Blair wasn’t sure he had ever done was change a single person’s mind. The people he fooled often came back to the page, and he continued to feed them the kind of viral content that boosted his readership and his bank account: invented stories about Colin Kaepernick, kneeling NFL players, imams, Black Lives Matter protesters, immigrants, George Soros, the Clinton Foundation, Michelle and Malia Obama. He had begun to include more obvious disclaimers at the top of every post and to intentionally misspell several words in order to highlight the idiocy of his work, but still traffic continued to climb. Sometimes he wondered: Rather than of awakening people to reality, was he pushing them further from it?

“Well, they never did have any class,” commented Shirley Chapian, from Pahrump, Nev., and Blair watched his liberal followers respond.

“That’s kind of an ironic comment coming from pure trailer trash, don’t you think?”

“You’re a gullible moron who just fell for a fake story on a Liberal satire page.”

“You my dear . . . are as smart as a potato.”

“What a waste of flesh and time.”

“Welcome to the internet. Critical thinking required.”

Chapian saw the comments after her post and wondered as she often did when she was attacked: Who were these people? And what were they talking about? Of course Michelle Obama and Chelsea Clinton had flipped off the president. It was true to what she knew of their character. That was what mattered.

Instead of responding directly to strangers on America’s Last Line of Defense, Chapian wrote on her own Facebook page. “Nasty liberals,” she said, and then she went back to her news feed, each day blending into the next.

A Muslim woman with her burqa on fire: like. A policeman using a baton to beat a masked antifa protester: like. Hillary Clinton looking gaunt and pale: like. A military helicopter armed with machine guns and headed toward the caravan of immigrants: like.

She had spent a few hours scrolling one afternoon when she heard a noise outside her window, and she turned away from the screen to look outside. A neighbor was sweeping his sidewalk, pushing tiny white rocks back into his rock garden. The sky was an uninterrupted blue. A mailman worked his way up the empty street. There were no signs of “Sharia Law.” The migrant caravan was still hundreds of miles away in Mexico. Antifa protesters had yet to descend on Pahrump. Chapian squinted against the sun, closed the shades and went back to her screen.

A picture of undocumented immigrants laughing inside a voting booth: like.

“Deep State Alive and Well”: like.

She scrolled upon another post from America’s Last Line of Defense, reading fast, oblivious to the satire labels and not noticing Blair’s trademark awkward phrasings and misspellings. It showed a group of children kneeling on prayer mats in a classroom. “California School children forced to Sharia in Class,” it read. “All of them have stopped eating bacon. Two began speaking in Allah. Stop making children pray to imaginary Gods!!”

Chapian recoiled from the screen. “Please!” she said. “If I had a kid in a school system like that, I’d yank them out so fast.”

She had seen hundreds of stories on Facebook about the threat of sharia, and this confirmed much of what she already believed. It was probably true, she thought. It was true enough.

“Do people understand that things like this are happening in this country?” she said. She clicked the post and the traffic registered back to a computer in Maine, where Blair watched another story go viral and wondered when his audience would get his joke.
[close]
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2018, 08:56:31 pm »
Thanks for posting. Possibly the funniest and scariest thing I’ve read in a while.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2018, 09:39:01 pm »
It is funny, for a while.  Who’s the joke on though?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2018, 10:41:06 pm »
Thanks for posting. Possibly the funniest and scariest thing I’ve read in a while.
Yap.
It is funny, for a while.  Who’s the joke on though?
And yep.

I worry (some) that such satire might make things worse. But I tend to feel that it does not. If these satirists did not exist, the people who fall for these gags would (surely) have their confirmation biases confirmed from other sources. They are already 'lost'. So, maybe (hopefully) this kind of satire highlights the problem for others and maybe help mobilize people against it. And, if not, at least it provides some levity. Still, I continue to not be totally convinced and remain uneasy about it.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2018, 11:38:05 pm »
When I was doing threads on conspiracy theories I often thought how easy it would be to rake in the cash by writing conspiracy theory books for a laugh and then coming clean and debunking them. But I realised the more I dealt with conspiracy believers that it would make no difference. They take on a life of their own.

It may have been James Randi who did some faked psychic readings and then showed the people how he did it. Often the reaction was to tell him:  'no, you're just psychic and you don't know it'.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2018, 02:53:34 pm »
When I was doing threads on conspiracy theories I often thought how easy it would be to rake in the cash by writing conspiracy theory books for a laugh and then coming clean and debunking them. But I realised the more I dealt with conspiracy believers that it would make no difference. They take on a life of their own.

It may have been James Randi who did some faked psychic readings and then showed the people how he did it. Often the reaction was to tell him:  'no, you're just psychic and you don't know it'.
Derren Brown, I believe. Though, James Randi might well have done something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PxHe01mNDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duxQA9TcDcA

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2018, 09:13:01 am »
I can't recall ever hearing of anything like this before in modern times. Think it was 19th century since it was last a 'thing' for Parliament to do it.

Parliament has used its legal powers to seize internal Facebook documents in an extraordinary attempt to hold the US social media giant to account after chief executive Mark Zuckerberg repeatedly refused to answer MPs’ questions.

The cache of documents is alleged to contain significant revelations about Facebook decisions on data and privacy controls that led to the Cambridge Analytica scandal. It is claimed they include confidential emails between senior executives, and correspondence with Zuckerberg.

Damian Collins, the chair of the culture, media and sport select committee, invoked a rare parliamentary mechanism to compel the founder of a US software company, Six4Three, to hand over the documents during a business trip to London. In another exceptional move, parliament sent a serjeant at arms to his hotel with a final warning and a two-hour deadline to comply with its order. When the software firm founder failed to do so, it’s understood he was escorted to parliament. He was told he risked fines and even imprisonment if he didn’t hand over the documents.

“We are in uncharted territory,” said Collins, who also chairs an inquiry into fake news. “This is an unprecedented move but it’s an unprecedented situation. We’ve failed to get answers from Facebook and we believe the documents contain information of very high public interest.”

Loads more at Guardian

CNN has some additional background.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:15:30 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2018, 11:12:31 am »
I can't recall ever hearing of anything like this before in modern times. Think it was 19th century since it was last a 'thing' for Parliament to do it.

Loads more at Guardian

CNN has some additional background.

Hmm... who could have predicted a platform designed by a nerd who as desperate to get laid in college is not particularly good for democracy.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2018, 01:17:56 am »
Not going to post a link but there’s a video going round of some little c*nt bullying a Syrian refugee at school (which it appears the school have ignored), one good thing of social media is these thick twats who video everything are getting found out and outed, hopefully that little shite will get his soon

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2018, 06:40:22 am »
Not going to post a link but there’s a video going round of some little c*nt bullying a Syrian refugee at school (which it appears the school have ignored), one good thing of social media is these thick twats who video everything are getting found out and outed, hopefully that little shite will get his soon

Most of them wouldn't be bullying if it wasn't for social media. It's their '15 minutes of fame'.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2018, 07:59:07 am »
Most of them wouldn't be bullying if it wasn't for social media. It's their '15 minutes of fame'.
possibly but their and their friends stupidity will fuck them up for years to come and good for that

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2018, 08:17:34 am »
I don't believe it's a great idea to be naming and shaming minors on social media. It's punishment by mob. Like when the dicks on twitter starts a pile-on on someone. Doesn't seem proportionate or even particularly useful to fuck teenagers up into adulthood.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2018, 08:37:11 am »
I don't believe it's a great idea to be naming and shaming minors on social media. It's punishment by mob. Like when the dicks on twitter starts a pile-on on someone. Doesn't seem proportionate or even particularly useful to fuck teenagers up into adulthood.
Right. The 'little c*nt' (as Lush put it) will be - almost undoubtedly - the victim of a crap upbringing by parents and without good direction from any other adult. Occasionally, such 'little c*nts' do turn themselves around at some stage. I don't see where the good comes from having this hang over him into adulthood or during his adolescence. Of course, his behaviour should be tackled, but not through the good folks of social media. It is all part of the same problem.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2018, 09:34:17 am »
Obviously a vile piece of shit but from reports it seems his family and parents have a lot to answer for, his mother has been prosecuted for racial abuse and his brother has been in prison for an unprovoked assault. Not to mention his Facebook page is an absolute cesspit, far right sympathiser, EDL, Tommy Robinson, Britain First.. no wonder he’s been radicalised to think that is acceptable. I can imagine it’s very tempting for people thinking direct retribution is the answer but agree with the sentiment let the authorities deal with it. He’ll wear this round his neck for a long time to come.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:38:12 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 1, 2018, 12:42:19 am »

I've seen quite a few knuckledraggers on social media make comments along the lines of "where are all the videos of white kids being bullied?"

At least there's videos of them attacking police in Durham. I can only imagine what the reaction would have been from the aforementioned knuckledraggers had most of that group been of a certain race and/or religion.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 1, 2018, 03:48:02 am »
I think people's identities should be verified on news sites, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, YouTube and similar sites. I am fine with having an intelligent, polite debate with someone who has views very different than mine. i might get frustrated with that person, but I'll respect their opinion and their right to voice it if civility is in play & their identity is known. But so much hate is spewed when such sites allow anonymity. Racism, religious intolerance, etc. The world needs to know who these scum are.

Sites such as sports and hobby forums, Reddit, Instagram etc -- I'm ok with anonymity (I really don't want RAWK discovering I'm John Henry), but I think they should be heavily moderated. I wandered onto TMZ's comment section today about a sports story -- holy hell what a cesspool of racist hate! Any hint of hateful discussion should result in immediate suspensions. 2nd offenses should be automatic bans. And if sites freely allow a culture of hate to thrive, I'm fine with the government treating them as they would if they were child porn sites: shut down immediately.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 1, 2018, 06:31:29 pm »
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/distressing-attack-on-schoolgirl-filmed-on-phone-194423/

Another one, gonna come a point where one of those little shits attacking a kid like that will get an absolute kicking from a parent

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 2, 2018, 08:41:02 am »
Facebook, YouTube, Instagram etc, can fix 90% of the problems with one single move - remove the option of liking a comment/video/photo. That would improve everything drastically.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 2, 2018, 09:09:49 am »
Facebook, YouTube, Instagram etc, can fix 90% of the problems with one single move - remove the option of liking a comment/video/photo. That would improve everything drastically.

Removing the crack they are peddling? Why would they do that. They are making a killing on tickling those little insecurities and offering micro gratifications for the masses telling you how someone, somewhere, somehow thinks you, yes you - are pretty cool. Without likes their whole hamster wheel collapses.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 2, 2018, 09:26:09 am »
Removing the crack they are peddling? Why would they do that. They are making a killing on tickling those little insecurities and offering micro gratifications for the masses telling you how someone, somewhere, somehow thinks you, yes you - are pretty cool. Without likes their whole hamster wheel collapses.

Those 'likes' also shape your content and the associated advertisers. It's like Tinder for corporations trying to sell you stuff.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 2, 2018, 09:33:40 am »
Those 'likes' also shape your content and the associated advertisers. It's like Tinder for corporations trying to sell you stuff.

Exactly. People just need to wise up to it and understand that personal information is valuable currency and social media companies have shown they do not deserve the trust of having it.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: December 2, 2018, 11:14:16 am »

Yeah, sadly that's very true.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI