Author Topic: Grenfell Tower Fire  (Read 138780 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Grenfell Tower Fire
« on: June 14, 2017, 03:31:17 am »
Fire at a tower  block Grenfell Tower, Latimer Road, West Londom from the 2nd floor to the top floor.

Witnesses described hearing shouts for help coming from people inside the tower and walls of the building creaking.

very worrying at this time of night hope everyone is safe.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 10:14:16 am by SP »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Huge inferno at West London tower block
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:04:23 am »
BBC saying police moving people back afraid the building may collapse.

Just said they saw someone at a window but not sure if it was a fireman or not.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:22:12 am »
This is just horrible. RIP to those that have perished.

Offline The Final Third

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:40:23 am »
What we know so far:

• A huge fire has engulfed a tower block in West London.
  • The fire broke out shortly before 1am on Wednesday at Grenfell Tower in Latimer Road near Notting Hill.
  • The tower is at least 24 storeys high and contains 120 apartments.
  • 200 firefighters have been tackling the blaze with 40 engines.
  • A number of people have been treated for a range of injuries according to the fire brigade
  • There have been multiple reports of people trapped in the blaze. These have not been confirmed by police or the fire brigade.
  • Streets around the tower have been sealed off and residents in their houses evacuated.
  • London Fire Brigade say there is no known cause at the moment for the blaze.
  • The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has declared the fire a “major incident”.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 04:41:38 am »
Heartbreaking.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline The Final Third

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 04:54:22 am »
People remain trapped inside Grenfell Tower

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/14/grenfell-tower-major-fire-london-apartment-block-white-city-latimer-road

Alice Ross has just filed this devastating account from the scene:

People can be seen at the windows, including one man waving a blanket from the window. People from neighbouring estates are huddled outside in their pyjamas near the flaming building, some shouting “put your head out the window” or calling the man with the blanket to shout his flat numbers so they can guide the fire services to him. Fire officers are spraying his window with water to try and douse the flames.

There’s a smell of acrid smoke and flaming debris is spiralling from the building. There’s the sound of breaking glass and dull pops.

“There was a woman with a child. I saw her waving maybe 30mins ago,” said a man who asked not to be named. “She said I’ve got a child ... I saw them spraying her window.”

Hadil Alamily said in the past hour she saw “someone jump on fire from the top floor”. She had seen him flashing a light in an SOS pattern.

“He was screaming help, help, help but no one helped. He dashed a mattress out of the window. He was literally on fire and jumped.”

JFC..

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 05:01:08 am »
Horrific.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 05:05:59 am »
Sky news saying they can still see people in the building now in a little area the fire hasn't hit yet..

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
-Bill Shankly.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 06:18:23 am »
Horrible scenes. Thoughts with  those affected.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 06:54:48 am »
Hope it isn't as bad as it looks.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 07:03:58 am »
Someone said they escaped the fire and they were on the 17th floor so hopefully thats a good sign.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 07:04:07 am »
Reading reports in the Guardian, it sounds like a shambles. No fire alarms or evacuation procedures in place.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 07:06:38 am »
Reading reports in the Guardian, it sounds like a shambles. No fire alarms or evacuation procedures in place.

Residents were advised to remain in their homes in the event of a fire. What kind of advice is that? Thankfully, seems like it was ignored.
-Bill Shankly.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 07:22:30 am »
Residents were advised to remain in their homes in the event of a fire. What kind of advice is that? Thankfully, seems like it was ignored.

One of the residents just said on the radio he should have remained in his flat, as it would have been fireproof for up to an hour and would have been rescued by fire brigade by then. Going outside put him and his family in more danger but of course in that situation you can't blame someone for wanting to get out.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 07:25:06 am »
Dear lord what a horrendous thing. Thoughts and prayers to those affected m :'(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 07:27:20 am »
Mind you a couple of hours ago the Fire brigade did release a statement telling people not to wait in their flats. wrap a wet towel around your face and make your way out the best you can.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 07:30:22 am »
One of the residents just said on the radio he should have remained in his flat, as it would have been fireproof for up to an hour and would have been rescued by fire brigade by then. Going outside put him and his family in more danger but of course in that situation you can't blame someone for wanting to get out.

The outside of the building was flammable. If a high-rise building is on fire, the sensible things big to do is bail as quickly as possible.

The inside of the building was hellish - the internal fire-alarm seemingly failed to go off. The internal sprinklers didn't either, though it wouldn't have made a difference regardless as the outside of the building would have kept the fire going.

That blog is damning. Someone or some body/group is going to get absolutely fucked for this, and rightfully so.
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 07:32:55 am »
The outside of the building was flammable. If a high-rise building is on fire, the sensible things big to do is bail as quickly as possible.

The inside of the building was hellish - the internal fire-alarm seemingly failed to go off. The internal sprinklers didn't either, though it wouldn't have made a difference regardless as the outside of the building would have kept the fire going.

That blog is damning. Someone or some body/group is going to get absolutely fucked for this, and rightfully so.

And they are saying they had gas pipes running down the stair wells.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 07:33:46 am »
That blog also mentions that a FOI request indicated that there was asbestos throughout.
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 07:42:01 am »
Sky just interviewing someone and he said he saw a lady jump from the 6th floor. but they ended the interview quickly after that so who knows if that was really true.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 07:44:45 am »
Hope it isn't as bad as it looks.

Yep, let's hope so. Recently there was a massive fire on one of those high-rises in Dubai where the cladding went up in flames, but unbelievably, no-one died because it was just the cladding that burned.

I fear the worst in this case, though. The building looks completely gutted in places, with just a shell remaining. Awful.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 07:49:52 am »
Someone else just said they saw a man jump from half way up the building.

Fire Commissioner saying there has been deaths

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 07:51:53 am »
RIP to those that perished. :(

This is a real worry to me as well. I'm not sure about how it is in London, but the Fire Services in Merseyside have been absolutely devestated. Most of the Fire Stations have shut down and most of the Firemen and Fire Engines have gone.

If they had a major problem, then you shudder to think what could happen. They've been warning since January last year that the number of staff and Engines was far too low and we've seen many more cuts since then.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:54 am »
This is dreadful.
bollocks

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 07:54:22 am »
RIP to those that perished. :(

This is a real worry to me as well. I'm not sure about how it is in London, but the Fire Services in Merseyside have been absolutely devestated. Most of the Fire Stations have shut down and most of the Firemen and Fire Engines have gone.

If they had a major problem, then you shudder to think what could happen. They've been warning since January last year that the number of staff and Engines was far too low and we've seen many more cuts since then.

I was just about to say the same with all the cuts what would happen if there was another major incident in London at this moment.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:58:36 am by Trada »

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 07:55:00 am »
Rip to all who lost their lives.
bollocks

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 07:57:52 am »
I guess the real worry is old people and disabled people high in the building.

Who shouldn't be housed that high up anyway.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 08:07:02 am »
Ok the eye witness accounts are getting more and more graphic not sure this is right with people still looking for loved ones.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 08:16:18 am »
Shocking . Let us hope that we dont see the establishment close ranks as they did for the 96.

RIP for the poor victims.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 08:19:13 am »
Seems that the fire alarms didn't work so people weren't aware of it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 08:20:58 am »
Rolling news particularly ghoulish here.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 08:25:11 am »
Terrible scenes. :(
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 08:33:21 am »
Fear the worst with this one. 4th floor, middle of the night, fire alarms not working. I really hope the number of fatalities isn't as bad as I suspect.

Sounds like the building had been flagged before as dangerous, if so that's completely indefensible and I hope whoever runs the building gets the book thrown at them.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 08:43:33 am »
Its horrendous, almost like a fire you would expect in a third world country. They said the building was refurbished a while back and they have used cladding on the exterior to make it more friendly on the eye, but this cladding is notoriously flammable. Add to that it was a warm night, people would have had their windows open which will aide the spread of fire.

As for the response from the fire brigade, to put it into context. Merseyside Fire Brigade used to have 43 fire engines available across the whole of Merseyside. Government cuts and more government cuts have reduced to that figure to 20 at best (during the day). After 8pm that goes down again to around 15 when they recall personnel from home back to work.

When they had a fire at that scrap yard down at the docks a few months back, they had a fire in that house on Mather Avenue where the old couple had hoarded all sorts. Such was the lack of fire engines that they had to send a specialist one from Manchester because everything else was tied up down at the docks.

These cuts are a ticking clock.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 08:44:35 am »
Horrendous, RIP those who have died.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 08:49:22 am »
Im surprised nothing has collapsed its been on fire for 8 hours now.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 08:53:10 am »
Terrible scenes to wake up to. Hope and pray the loss of life isn't as much as it could be.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:22 am »

Are they blaming the new cladding for spreading this so quickly?

I would have assumed that that stuff was fire retardant.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.