Author Topic: Vote for RSS Boaty McBoatface here..  (Read 6420 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Vote for RSS Boaty McBoatface here..
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:07:26 am »
This exploration ship will be built at Cammell Laird Shipyard in Liverpool

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 10:17:59 am »
https://nameourship.nerc.ac.uk/entries.html

I saw this on Twitter.  It's way out ahead of other names in the poll!
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:23:54 am »

Birkenhead
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:41:49 am »
Reminds me of this when Greenpeace asked the Internet to name a whale.

Out of 11,000 submissions in our competition to name the humpback whales we were tracking on their migration to the Southern Ocean, we narrowed it down to the final 30. Over 150,000 people then voted for their favourite name.

Mister Splashy Pants is the winner by a nautical mile!

Mister Splashy Pants got a huge 119,367 votes (over 78 percent of the vote) with his nearest rival being Humphrey at 4,329 (less than 3 percent).
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 02:06:25 pm »
If only somebody had thought of the name "Dave Pig Head" "Queenie Parasite". ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:28:45 pm »
This exploration ship will be built at Cammell Laird Shipyard in Liverpool Birkenhead.
You're not having our side's light pylon either, bastards!  :P
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:35:41 pm »
You're not having our side's light pylon either, bastards!  :P

Bloody tunnel rats ;)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 02:59:20 pm »
Shame.

Everybody knows who builds the best ships.

The Geordies   :)

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 03:04:11 pm »
Yup we've advanced as a race.

Mr RSS Boaty McBoatface.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 08:38:28 am »
Yup we've advanced as a race.

Mr RSS Boaty McBoatface.

Having a sense of humour is good in my opinion. There are hundreds of survey vessels out there that I couldn't care less about. If that went out exploring with that name, I'd imagine that it would get a lot of publicity and people following it.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:28 am »
There could be some mirth mileage alternatively naming it the good ship Venus, especially if amongst the crew it was ensured there was a Hopper, a Carter, and naturally there would have to be a ships dog called Rover...perhaps it could also even have a traditionally beautifully carved figurehead of a woman...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2016, 10:19:19 am »
NERC ‏@NERCscience  15m15 minutes ago
Say hello to the RRS Sir David Attenborough #NameOurShip

NERC ‏@NERCscience  24m

We are excited to announce that #BoatyMcBoatface will live on as a high-tech remotely operated undersea vehicle

Also the guy that came up with the NameOurShip will be dragged in front of MP's representing the Science and Technology Committee to explain why this was allowed to happen
« Last Edit: May 6, 2016, 10:21:44 am by gazzalfc »

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2016, 10:37:28 am »
NERC ‏@NERCscience  15m15 minutes ago
Say hello to the RRS Sir David Attenborough #NameOurShip

NERC ‏@NERCscience  24m

We are excited to announce that #BoatyMcBoatface will live on as a high-tech remotely operated undersea vehicle

Also the guy that came up with the NameOurShip will be dragged in front of MP's representing the Science and Technology Committee to explain why this was allowed to happen

That seems a good compromise.

Don't know why the man is being dragged in.

They always said the public were suggesting names for the ship not naming it and they would always have the final say. 

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »
It's gone the right way, and the interest it'll have brought into why the boat exists in the first place can only be a good thing.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #16 on: May 6, 2016, 04:01:15 pm »
New petition for Sir David Attenborough to change his name to Boaty McBoatface

https://www.change.org/p/jo-johnson-sir-david-attenborough-to-change-his-name-to-boaty-mcboatface

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #17 on: May 7, 2016, 10:24:05 am »
To be fair I think they've made the right choice here. Huge publicity for the ship and eventually named it after a much loved and much respected scientists, conservationist and overall fantastic bloke.

The public were engaged with the initial naming of it, and they'll be engaged now it's been named after such an identifiable and well-liked person.

Great job all round. I'll be following its progress with interest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: May 7, 2016, 01:03:31 pm »
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/boat-just-so-pissed-off-20160506108631

Boat just so pissed off

A POLAR research vessel has admitted it is both disappointed and angry to not be called Boaty McBoatface.

The £200m vessel, which will now be called the RSS Sir David Attenborough, is worried the British people will think it does not have a sense of humour.

Speaking from the Liverpool dockyard where it is being constructed, it said: “I thought Boaty McBoatface was hilarious, you know? A real breath of fresh air.

“All the other guys on the Arctic beat are like Oceania or Polar Star, so the minute I sail in I’m the party boat. Like ‘Hey, who wants to go do shots on Boaty McBoatface?’

“Instead I’m named after some boring old bastard. I don’t know who David Attenborough is, but I do know this: he’s an enemy of democracy and he hates the British people.

“Secretly I’ll always be Boaty McBoatface. In my heart.”

Polar researcher Dr Helen Archer said: “What the British public don’t perhaps realise is that our jobs are lonely, difficult and dangerous.

“Nobody wants to die on a ship called Boaty McBoatface.”

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: May 7, 2016, 10:29:44 pm »
It's gone the right way, and the interest it'll have brought into why the boat exists in the first place can only be a good thing.

Haha, rubbish, nobody will care from this day forward what happens, the British will still explore the Arctic, nobody beyond the science community will give a blow on a rag mans trumpet what it does, and
The world will continue to believe the British are stuffy b@stards with no sense of humour.

It was a moment in time, that we've dealt with in true British establishment fashion.
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #20 on: May 8, 2016, 10:26:32 am »
Haha, rubbish, nobody will care from this day forward what happens, the British will still explore the Arctic, nobody beyond the science community will give a blow on a rag mans trumpet what it does, and
The world will continue to believe the British are stuffy b@stards with no sense of humour.

It was a moment in time, that we've dealt with in true British establishment fashion.

hang on ...are you actually sulking because the poxy internet 'in-joke' didnt succeed?  ...fuck me..;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 10:27:02 am »
The hull is currently sat at the Cammell Laird yard ready to hit the water on Saturday. Can spot it across the Mersey if you're in the city centre.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 10:09:02 am »
Launches (no idea if that's the correct boating term!) at 12.20 today.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 10:46:51 am »

Launch is fine, that's exactly what it is, and down a slipway, but the word boating might cause offence amongst the nautical community.

It's largely historical and reckoned to do with size, a ship can carry a boat but a boat can't carry a ship, so ship building term would probably be better than boating term and not make any Captain Haddock fume too much. ;)  The only exception are Submarines which are always referred to as boats even though they can be colossal in size.

For those interested, there's going to be a live feed of the launch here  ... https://www.bas.ac.uk/media/creative-services/live/ ... and according to here ... https://www.bas.ac.uk/event/splashdown-in-liverpool/  ...the best views if you want to to see it from town will be Otterspool Park or the Albert Docks.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 10:49:03 am »
Thanks Gulley, genuinely good to know  ;D

Pier Head has a fantastic view too as does my apartment  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:52:40 am by CraigDS »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 10:55:50 am »

That is a fantastic view from your apartment, was that just taken this morning? The weather and visibility is looking great for it up there if so.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 11:00:29 am »
That is a fantastic view from your apartment, was that just taken this morning? The weather and visibility is looking great for it up there if so.

Yeah just went and took that quickly. Mostly clear sky, sun is out, lovely day!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 11:06:51 am »
Yeah just went and took that quickly. Mostly clear sky, sun is out, lovely day!

Used to love clear days like that, being able to see the Mountains of North Wales to the south, The Lake district to the North and the Pennines over to the east.
From the height of your apartment, do you ever manage to glimpse the IOM as well? I seem to remember from ground level it always seemed elusive, just a few too many miles over the curvature of the sea to be able to spot.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 11:12:07 am »
Used to love clear days like that, being able to see the Mountains of North Wales to the south, The Lake district to the North and the Pennines over to the east.
From the height of your apartment, do you ever manage to glimpse the IOM as well? I seem to remember from ground level it always seemed elusive, just a few too many miles over the curvature of the sea to be able to spot.

Yeah there are some great views on clear days, although is a little hazy in the distance today. Whole reason I ended up in this place to be honest!

I've actually never noticed if I can see IMO. Too hazy today but will have a look next time it's really clear.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 02:29:02 pm »

Nice, I used to live in City Lofts I miss that view!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2018, 03:41:52 pm »

My cousin works at Lairds, launch is the term he's been using. Luckily this isn't his project, so it shouldn't sink.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2018, 05:05:25 pm »
Saw the launch today.

Good to see a ship named after the greatest ( or certainly the best known) naturalist of his generation and to see that Laurds are still building quality.

And the social media crowd had their 15 minutes of fame.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2018, 07:12:50 pm »
Saw the launch today.

Good to see a ship named after the greatest ( or certainly the best known) naturalist of his generation and to see that Laurds are still building quality.

And the social media crowd had their 15 minutes of fame.

Yup. Fantastic to see. Nice comfort that there will be explorations in his name for many decades to come. 

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2018, 07:42:11 pm »
Some nice footage.

First 3.20 mins are just sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1E7jW4n_BI
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:46:12 pm by Bigly Red Richie »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2018, 08:03:58 pm »

LFC offices view there, Craig. Gotcha!
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2018, 06:22:12 am »
Did anyone else think the ship went a little faster than they thought it would.

Looks like the tug had to go into full reverse.

But brilliant to watch and the right name.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2018, 07:16:06 am »
I work in construction and Engineering... working on the stadia and metro projects in Doha, just brilliant to see a new project of this size being fabricated and the associated fit out by the Cammell Lairds yard.. that such a legendary ship yard has survived so many difficult times is fantastic. Also their apprentice scheme is a real shot in the arm for training world class tradesmen.

Hope they can win some decent civilian and MOD contracts for other large vessels..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 07:18:05 am by kopite321 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2019, 08:52:01 pm »
Felt this was worth sharing, although being the internet accuracy may be questionable 😂
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2019, 08:54:41 pm »
Felt this was worth sharing, although being the internet accuracy may be questionable 😂

Our gritters have had names like this for ages and you can track them all here: http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab  :D

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 08:12:44 pm »
Shame.

Everybody knows who builds the best ships.

The Geordies   :)

Sting's musical was shit though
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway