Author Topic: Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann  (Read 166798 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: Sarah Palin resigns
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2010, 12:52:13 pm »
OUTRAGE OVER PLANS TO BUILD LIBRARY NEXT TO SARAH PALIN    
19-08-10

PLANS to build a state-of-the-art library next to Republican catastrophe Sarah Palin are causing outrage across mainstream America.

Campaigners have described the project as insensitive and a deliberate act of provocation by people with brains.

The issue is forming a dividing line in advance of November's mid-term congressional elections with candidates being forced to declare whether they have ever been to a library or spoken to someone who has books in their home.

Meanwhile President Obama has caused unease within his own Democratic party by endorsing the library and claiming that not everyone who reads books is responsible for calling Mrs Palin a fuckwit nutjob nightmare of a human being.

But Bill McKay, a leading member of the right-wing Teapot movement, said: "Sarah Palin is a hallowed place for Americans who can't read.

"How is she going to feel knowing that every day there are people going inside a building to find things out for themselves and have thoughts, right in the very shadow of her amazing nipples."

He added: "Our founding fathers intended for every building in this country to be a church containing one book, written by Jesus, that would be read out in a strange voice by an orange man in a shiny suit who would also tell you who you were allowed to kill.

"Building a library next to Mrs Palin is like Pearl Harbour. Or 9/11."

And Wayne Hayes, a pig masseur from Coontree, Virginia, said: "I is so angry right now.

"It's like something is on fire right in the middle of my head. Like I've eaten a real hot chilli, but it's gone up my nose tubes rather than down my ass tubes."

He added: "Would these library lovers allow me to set up a stall next to the Smithsonian Museum and start selling DVDs of bible cartoons as long as it was in accordance with local regulations?

"Oh they would? I see. So is that why they're better than me?"

Daily Mash

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2010, 01:53:42 pm »
the very shadow of her amazing nipples."
Pics or they don't exist!
Kill the humourless

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #202 on: September 6, 2010, 02:29:38 pm »

Sarah Palin exposed

Spending $3,000 of campaign funds on underwear . . . a mean tipper . . . Vanity Fair dishes the dirt

* guardian.co.uk, Sunday 5 September 2010 20.00 BST

The October issue of Vanity Fair has just published an explosive profile of Sarah Palin. We've picked the highlights . . .

She managed to spend $3,000 on underwear

"The number and range of items purchased for the entire Palin family – more than 400 in total – is mind-boggling. For Sarah, the campaign bought roughly $3,000 [£1,940] worth of underwear (including many Spanx girdles)."

Angels protect her

"When Palin thanks prayer warriors for keeping her covered, she is thanking them for calling on angels to shield her from demonic attacks."

She is a bad tipper

"Of the many famous people who have stayed at the Hyatt in Wichita (Cher, Reba McEntire, Neil Young), Palin ranks as the all-time worst tipper: $5 for seven bags."

Her Facebook and Twitter feeds may be ghost-written

"Often it sounds less like Palin herself than someone else's fantasy version of Palin at her most vitriolic. On one occasion Palin's virtual voice contradicted remarks she made in a TV interview two days later."

She now says she wants to meet the Iron Lady, but back in 2008 . . .

"When John McCain's aides discovered that Alaska-size gaps existed in Palin's general knowledge (among those previously unreported: she had no idea who Margaret Thatcher was), they from time to time would give her some books to read in hopes of improving the candidate's learning curve."

She doesn't hunt

"'This whole hunter thing, for Sarah? That is the biggest fallacy,' says one long-time friend of the family. 'That woman has never hunted. The picture of her with the caribou she says she shot? She got out of the RV to pose for a picture.' The friend goes on to recall that when Greta Van Susteren came to the house to interview Palin "[Sarah] cooked moose chili and whatnot. Todd was calling everyone he knew the day before—'Do you got any moose?' Desperate."

Her reply

In response to the VF article, Palin said: "Those who are impotent and limp and gutless and they go on their anonymous – sources that are anonymous – and impotent, limp and gutless reporters take anonymous sources and cite them as being factual references." Just as well she was able to add that clarification.

source, and if you have some time, here's a link to the full Vanity Fair piece.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #203 on: September 6, 2010, 04:03:55 pm »
You're obsessed corkboy.

There I've said it.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #204 on: September 6, 2010, 04:08:44 pm »
You're obsessed corkboy.

There I've said it.

It's a public service I'm doin' here....

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 6, 2010, 04:10:36 pm »
It's a public service I'm doin' here....

Selling tickets to a car crash, are you?

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 6, 2010, 04:27:42 pm »
Corkboy, that Vanity Fair article is superb.

The friend goes on to recall that when Greta Van Susteren came to the house to interview Palin “[Sarah] cooked moose chili and whatnot. Todd was calling everyone he knew the day before—‘Do you got any moose?’ Desperate.”

:lmao

« Last Edit: September 6, 2010, 06:47:32 pm by El Campeador »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #207 on: September 8, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »
From the youtube thread..

The same people have done quite a few others, the Sarah Palin one was also highly amusing.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWfktZQKL48?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WWfktZQKL48?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #208 on: September 8, 2010, 09:47:11 pm »
Inspired.
It's the knowing wink, the  'Keeping up with the Palins' and the little girl hosing the ceiling and the air with the M16.
Oh and the 'First Dude' T shirt.  :)
Made me laugh anyway.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2010, 09:48:59 pm by The Gulleysucker »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:40 pm »
Sarah Palin's Iowa trip points to 2012 presidential run

Attendance at Republican dinner in key state is seen as biggest sign yet that Sarah Palin aims to take on Obama in 2012

Sarah Palin addresses a 9/11 event in Anchorage, Alaska, that was also attended by Glenn Beck. Photograph: Michael Dinneen/AP

There are boxes that US presidential hopefuls have to tick early. They have to start building a campaign team, albeit discreetly. They have to set up a fundraising machine. And they have to visit Iowa, the small but politically crucial state that traditionally kicks off a White House run.

Sarah Palin has ticked the first two and on Friday will tick the third when she is the main speaker at a $100-a-seat Republican dinner in Des Moines, Iowa. The party's sole superstar has not yet said whether she will seek the nomination to take on Barack Obama in 2012. But all the indications point to a run, and Friday's visit is the biggest sign yet.

Democrats may detest her, and so does the Republican establishment, for her perceived lack of sophistication and polarising effect on the electorate. But neither will make the choice in the Iowa caucus. The party activists will, and they are shifting behind her. Long before the contest has formally begun, Palin is fast on the way to becoming unstoppable.

Marilea David, a lifelong Republican, is typical of the fan base, seeing in Palin an alternative to the old-boy network. "I think she is great. She is the only person I am excited about just now," David said over coffee in west Des Moines.

"She is fiscally conservative. She married her husband for love, not money. She does not have perfect kids, which is big for me. She has been totally vetted by the liberal media and they did not come up with anything other than she is a 'hick'."  :lmao

David, 52, who runs her own home tutoring business, will not be attending Friday's dinner. "I am a broke Republican. But if she runs, I will give her my time. I would love to campaign for her."

The dinner is shaping up as a big media event, with journalists drawn by the will she/won't she drama and by the importance of Iowa, the state where once every four years presidential dreams are either destroyed or begin to be realised.

Kathie Obradovich, political columnist at the Des Moines Register, sees Palin's visit as highly significant. It will be her first since a short stop last year to publicise her autobiography, Going Rogue. "Palin is aware that there are flames of speculation over whether she will run for president and coming to Iowa fans that into a wildfire."

Obradovich believes any clues to whether she is contemplating a run will not come in the speech but in what else she does while in Iowa, whom she speaks to and whether she puts out feelers about potential support.

Although the Iowa caucus to decide whom the state will support as its Republican hopeful is not scheduled until February 2012, candidates often have to begin courting support there at least a year to 18 months in advance, long before they formally declare their candidacy.

Mitt Romney, the multimillionaire and former Massachusetts governor who was John McCain's main rival in 2008, has already recruited a skeleton campaign team in the state. The former House speaker Newt Gingrich visited for a fundraising event last week.

Another potential candidate, Tim Pawlenty, governor of Minnesota, has made five trips to Iowa in the past year. Others weighing whether to run include Haley Barbour, the governor of Mississippi; Mitch Daniels, governor of Indiana; and Senator John Thune, of South Dakota.

A Des Moines Register poll in June gave Romney a 62% favourability rating among Republicans, Palin 58% and Gingrich 56%. Others trailed well behind. Asked why the poll omitted Mike Huckabee, who won in 2008, the Register said that Huckabee had ruled himself out of the race. However, his stance seems to be that he will not make a decision or announcement about 2012 until the 2010 election is over.

Romney, the establishment choice, at present represents the biggest obstacle to Palin. But his name does not generate much warmth or excitement among activists. At 67, Gingrich may be too old.

The dinner will provide firm evidence of Palin's popularity. How many are prepared to stump up the $100? Charlie Gruschow, a Republican and founder of the Des Moines Tea Party, who has taken two tables, seating 20, and filled them, estimated the event could attract 2,500 to 3,000.

Among those planning to attend is Richard Rogers, 60, a pilot who has been active in Republican politics since his teens. From his den in his home in a wealthy Des Moines suburb, he pulled out a glass from the 1964 Barry Goldwater presidential campaign enscribed with the slogan: "The right drink for the conservative taste." He dug out a red sticker he distributed when he was one of the leaders of the Iowa students for Ronald Reagan campaign for the Republican nomination in 1968. He was chairman in Iowa of the Fred Thompson campaign in 2008.

He is not committed to anyone yet, but of the field so far he likes Palin, who reminds him of Reagan, one of the party's best-loved leaders. "We have not seen such enthusiasm and people getting behind a charismatic leader from the conservative-libertarian side since Reagan. She has thought hard about what she believes in, is unapologetic about her beliefs and creates huge enthusiasm ... If she decides to run for president, I will be an enthusiastic supporter," Rogers said.

Momentum has been building this year for a run. In addition to the money pouring in from her autobiography, her speaking engagements and a regular slot on Fox News, Palin has established a political fundraising committee that in the spring alone brought in $865,815. She has been beefing up her staff, including employing speechwriters and hiring consultants to brief her on domestic and foreign policy.

She has been making appearances at high-profile events such as a conservative rally in Washington last month with the popular conservative television commentator Glenn Beck, and again with him in Alaska at a 9/11 rally on Saturday. She has a documentary on Alaska airing nationwide in the autumn and her second book, America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith and Flag, is scheduled for publication at the end of the year.

The paperback version of Going Rogue was published in August. The book paints a picture of an outsider who repeatedly takes on the Republican establishment and wins.

Larry Sabato, director of the political centre at the University of Virginia, refuses to predict whether she will stand. "She does not know herself. She is just keeping the doors open. And she wants to keep all of us guessing. Sarah Palin being Sarah Palin will decide at the last minute, when she feels like it. She is not the sort to have a detailed masterplan, following it from day to day."

Sabato predicts that if she runs, she will win Iowa. "More important is what happens if she is nominated. You are looking at a landslide to the Democrats. There is no one the Democrats want more. Obama would expect to win, even if the economy was bad. She is popular among Republicans but in the country as a whole she is unpopular."

The closest she has come to hinting she will run was in an interview with Beck on Fox News in January, telling him she would happily go back to her home in Wasilla, Alaska, to her family and the outdoors, "but if I believe that in some capacity I can help this great nation, I'm going to be willing to sacrifice and to change some things in my lifestyle in order to serve".

She has built up a network of support this year, carefully choosing her endorsements for the November congressional and gubernatorial elections. She has tended to pick insurgent candidates supported by the Tea Party and similar grassroots conservative groups unhappy with the Republican establishment. She has also endorsed what she calls "mama grizzlies", a host of female candidates who believe in strong leadership and family values. Most of her picks, from Rand Paul in Kentucky to Joe Miller in Alaska, have won.

In Iowa itself, she upset Tea Party activists by endorsing the Republican establishment candidate for governor, Terry Branstad, ignoring their candidate, Bob Vander Plaats. As a result Kathy Carley, a Republican and founder of the grassroots group Save Our American Republic, is in unforgiving mood. She is not going to the dinner and will not support Palin. "I used to admire her quite a bit but I have lost faith in her," she said.

Carley, 62, a retired life insurance underwriter, saw the endorsement as a political calculation on the part of Palin, concluding that Branstad was more likely to win than Plaats and that Branstad could help her if she runs in Iowa.

Gruschow was also unhappy with the endorsement. But he is prepared to forgive Palin and, while he hopes some conservative dark horse might yet emerge, he would like to see her stand. "I like to think of Sarah Palin as the Margaret Thatcher of America. I admire her toughness. I would work for her campaign if asked," he said.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2010, 11:20:41 am »
Sarah seems to have competition....

Christine O'Donnell: I dabbled in witchcraft

Revelation in video of Tea Party star sure to upset those on religious right who helped propel her to prominence

* Chris McGreal
    * The Guardian, Monday 20 September 2010

Christine O'Donnell TV host Bill Maher says he will show a fresh revelation about Christine O'Donnell every week until she agrees to appear on his show. Photograph: Manuel Balce Ceneta/AP

The Tea Party's latest star, Christine O'Donnell, cancelled appearances on the Sunday news talkshows after a video in which she admitted to "dabbling in witchcraft" emerged over the weekend.

The revelation is certain to upset some on the religious right who make up a good part of the Tea Party's support and who helped to propel O'Donnell to prominence last week with her shock defeat of the Republican leadership's favoured candidate to contest the Senate seat in Delaware.

In the video, O'Donnell says: "I dabbled into witchcraft. I never joined a coven … I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up.

"One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar, and I didn't know it. I mean, there's a little blood there and stuff like that … We went to a movie and then had a little midnight picnic on a satanic altar."

O'Donnell declined to appear on Fox News, which is regarded as more than sympathetic to the Tea Party, after the video of her appearing on the Politically Incorrect show in 1999 was released by its host, Bill Maher, who now has a semi-satirical chat show on HBO.

He said he has more such embarrassing material and that he is going to show a fresh revelation every week until O'Donnell agrees to appear on his show.

"I'm just saying, Christine, it's like a hostage crisis – every week you don't show up, I'm going to throw another body out," he said.

O'Donnell had already drawn widespread scorn for earlier comments in which she condemns masturbation.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »
Haha well in Maher. Looking forward to this "hostage crisis".

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #212 on: November 4, 2010, 01:58:45 pm »
Sarah Palin: more midterms damage than Obama

The president took a battering in these midterm elections, but it was the Tea Party queen whose 2012 hopes were dashed

o Niall Stanage
          o guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 3 November 2010 21.31 GMT

And the winner is... Mitt Romney!

It's true that the slick-coiffed former governor of Massachusetts was not on a single ballot on Tuesday. But, in politics, you win when your enemies lose. Romney, who is already firmly positioned as the favourite of the Republican establishment for the 2012 presidential nomination saw both his major foes – President Barack Obama and Sarah Palin – suffer considerable damage yesterday.

Obama's plight is obvious. Though there is a plausible case to be made that the Republican gains across the country were principally a visceral reaction to the continuing dismal economy, they will be seen by many as a direct repudiation of Obama's agenda. Whatever the root cause of the Democrats' defeat, it will prevent Obama from enacting major progressive priorities in what remains of his first term.

Headlines on Wednesday are emphasising the election of a wave of candidates backed by the Tea Party movement, of which Palin is the de facto figurehead. The woman herself kept up through the night her habitual blend of perkiness and bellicosity on Twitter:

"As always, proud to be American! Thanks, Commonsense Constitutional Conservatives, u didn't sit down & shut up...u 'refudiated' extreme left."

The problem for Palin is quite simple, however. The closer one looks at the results, the less impressive they appear from her perspective.

Her fans must firstly rationalise the high-profile losses of Christine O'Donnell and Sharron Angle in senate contests in Delaware and Nevada, respectively.

Palin's endorsement of O'Donnell was central to the latter claiming the Republican Senate nomination over the more moderate Mike Castle. But her general-election candidacy was an unalloyed fiasco. Whereas Castle had led Democratic candidate Chris Coons by double-digits in polling, Coons blew O'Donnell out of the water last night. Even Karl Rove, who has trodden a rather uncertain path with regards to O'Donnell, noted drily that the result "provides a lesson" for Republicans.

Angle was, in her way, just as big a disaster. Her failure to knock off Harry Reid in Nevada, despite that state's appalling economic mess and Reid's personal unpopularity, was startling.

For Palin, an even more personally damaging result looms. In her home state of Alaska, she threw her support behind the previously obscure Joe Miller. Miller went on to defeat incumbent Republican Senator Lisa Murkowski in the primary, only for Murkowski to resurrect herself as a write-in candidate.

The campaign has been noticeably bitter, even by Palin's standards. But Murkowski now looks a strong bet to become the first write-in candidate to win a Senate seat since Strom Thurmond in South Carolina in 1954. Such a result, delivered by the voters in Palin's heartland, would indeed by a striking "refudiation" of the woman who presents herself as a home-state heroine.

Palin supporters will point in her defence to her overall "scorecard", which shows more victories than defeats for candidates she has endorsed. But the bulk of those victories came in House races, which are almost useless as an indicator of national viability.

In statewide races, the Palin wing fared poorly. In addition to the three probable losses mentioned above, John Raese went down to a heavy defeat in West Virginia, while former Congressman Tom Tancredo lost by an even wider margin in his bid to become governor of Colorado.

What of the candidates endorsed by Palin who won statewide? Marco Rubio is prime among them. Rubio is clearly the man of the hour for conservatives, in part because of his capacity to appeal to both Tea Partiers and mainstream voters – but he has not always seemed keen to clasp Palin in an especially tight embrace. The same is true of Susana Martinez, who will become the first female governor of New Mexico.

At a more granular level, it is conspicuous that several victories came in races where Palin's decision to endorse a relatively mainstream Republican, often at the expense of a Tea Party-backed alternative, drew fierce criticism from her core supporters. This category definitely includes Kelly Ayotte, now the senator-elect from New Hampshire, and Terry Branstad, the soon-to-be governor of Iowa. It could also encompass the man who made Palin a star, John McCain, who beat back a primary challenge from the right in the shape of radio talkshow host JD Hayworth.

The Romney Republicans can be expected to make one point with great force in the days ahead: The strongest performances on Tuesday came from candidates firmly rooted in the mainstream of the party.

Dan Coats, who defeated Tea Partier Marlin Stutzman in his primary back in May, romped home in Indiana. Pat Toomey – claimed by some in the Tea Party, but in fact, an orthodox "pro-business" conservative who knows the value of keeping his distance from extremists – took the perennial swing state of Pennsylvania.

Even if he doesn't win in the end – and he still might – Dino Rossi's strong showing against incumbent Patty Murray in Washington State, which leans heavily Democratic, was in marked contrast to the anaemic performances by Angle and O'Donnell in much more auspicious circumstances.

Whatever the pundits might say, last night's results underline that – at least, before a broad electorate – professionalism, competence and some semblance of moderation pay dividends.

That message will be music to the ears of Mitt Romney and his 2012 backers. It will toll mournfully, however, for those who still dream of a Palin presidency.

source

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 4, 2010, 03:23:43 pm »
was she really looking to run in 2012?  I think it makes much more sense for her to just be on TV, stir up some crazy shit every once in a while, 'write' books, collect speaking fees, and help out other republicans on the campaign trail.  Sort of like a mix between Michael Steele and Bill Clinton post 2000.

I don't think anything in the primary or yesterdays election would lead someone to think that Americans want Romneycare

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 4, 2010, 04:23:04 pm »
Two Palin news items today. One - CNN poll out testing 2012 matchups finds Palin in third in the GOP primary field at 14%, behind Huckabee (21%) and Romney (20%). Also in the general, Palin trails Obama 52-44% while Huckabee leads Obama 52-44% and Romney is ahead 50-45%. So if McConnell is right and priority number one is beating Obama, then action item number one needs to be nominating someone other than Palin.

Two - I liked this from Ross Douthat, conservative columnist for the New York Times - The Limits of Palinism. She is what she is, doesn't seem able or willing to adapt politically. Hopefully that's enough to make sure she fails in the primary if she does run.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #215 on: November 5, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »
was she really looking to run in 2012?  I think it makes much more sense for her to just be on TV, stir up some crazy shit every once in a while, 'write' books, collect speaking fees, and help out other republicans on the campaign trail.  Sort of like a mix between Michael Steele and Bill Clinton post 2000.

I'm glad im not the only one who thinks exactly the above

she is side show, nothing more

if whats his face didnt select her as his running mate she would have remained an alaskan nobody

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 5, 2010, 05:29:47 pm »
I think this is pretty good stuff from Peggy Noonan

Electable doesn't mean not-conservative. Electable means mature, accomplished, stable—and able to persuade.

Conservatives talked a lot about Ronald Reagan this year, but they have to take him more to heart, because his example here is a guide. All this seemed lost last week on Sarah Palin, who called him, on Fox, "an actor." She was defending her form of political celebrity—reality show, "Dancing With the Stars," etc. This is how she did it: "Wasn't Ronald Reagan an actor? Wasn't he in 'Bedtime for Bonzo,' Bozo, something? Ronald Reagan was an actor."

Excuse me, but this was ignorant even for Mrs. Palin. Reagan people quietly flipped their lids, but I'll voice their consternation to make a larger point. Ronald Reagan was an artist who willed himself into leadership as president of a major American labor union (Screen Actors Guild, seven terms, 1947-59.) He led that union successfully through major upheavals (the Hollywood communist wars, labor-management struggles); discovered and honed his ability to speak persuasively by talking to workers on the line at General Electric for eight years; was elected to and completed two full terms as governor of California; challenged and almost unseated an incumbent president of his own party; and went on to popularize modern conservative political philosophy without the help of a conservative infrastructure. Then he was elected president.

The point is not "He was a great man and you are a nincompoop," though that is true. The point is that Reagan's career is a guide, not only for the tea party but for all in politics. He brought his fully mature, fully seasoned self into politics with him. He wasn't in search of a life when he ran for office, and he wasn't in search of fame; he'd already lived a life, he was already well known, he'd accomplished things in the world.

Here is an old tradition badly in need of return: You have to earn your way into politics. You should go have a life, build a string of accomplishments, then enter public service. And you need actual talent: You have to be able to bring people in and along. You can't just bully them, you can't just assert and taunt, you have to be able to persuade.

Americans don't want, as their representatives, people who seem empty or crazy. They'll vote no on that.

It's not just the message, it's the messenger.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #217 on: November 5, 2010, 05:32:43 pm »

It is, don't I recall Noonan going after her before?

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 5, 2010, 05:55:02 pm »
I didn't remember it happening either, but apparently she has:

In television interviews she was out of her depth in a shallow pool. She was limited in her ability to explain and defend her positions, and sometimes in knowing them. She couldn't say what she read because she didn't read anything. She was utterly unconcerned by all this and seemed in fact rather proud of it: It was evidence of her authenticity. She experienced criticism as both partisan and cruel because she could see no truth in any of it. She wasn't thoughtful enough to know she wasn't thoughtful enough. Her presentation up to the end has been scattered, illogical, manipulative and self-referential to the point of self-reverence. "I'm not wired that way," "I'm not a quitter," "I'm standing up for our values." I'm, I'm, I'm.

In another age it might not have been terrible, but here and now it was actually rather horrifying.

Some other good stuff in there

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #219 on: November 5, 2010, 10:30:49 pm »
Some other good stuff in there

Yeah...

And so the Republican Party should get serious, as serious as the age, because that is what a grown-up, responsible party—a party that deserves to lead—would do.

Nearly 18 months ago. How well do you think Republicans have committed themselves to being grown up and responsible in legislative affairs since then?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #220 on: November 5, 2010, 11:28:05 pm »

"The point is that Reagan's career is a guide, not only for the tea party but for all in politics. He brought his fully mature, fully seasoned self into politics with him. He wasn't in search of a life when he ran for office, and he wasn't in search of fame; he'd already lived a life, he was already well known, he'd accomplished things in the world.

Here is an old tradition badly in need of return: You have to earn your way into politics. You should go have a life, build a string of accomplishments, then enter public service. And you need actual talent: You have to be able to bring people in and along. You can't just bully them, you can't just assert and taunt, you have to be able to persuade."

I'm certainly very sympathetic to that concept, though with caveats.

Sometimes personal life experience as described, even perhaps colourful but of success through honest endeavour, can be a much better apprenticeship in equipping someone to make political decisions that effect millions, certainly in some respects infinitely better than a few years studying economics or politics at University followed by a fast track accelerated career through careful networking in a chosen party.

And although I personally thought Reagan, or certainly aspects of his administration, was wrong in many, many ways, it is an era that subsequently can arguably be looked back on almost favourably, certainly in comparison to some later incumbents of the office.

But I'm dismayed by the current sway seemingly prevalent with the media driven agenda that seems to rule out age and real life experience over the promotion of career politicians of telegenic youthfullness with perfect smiles and toned bodies, a seemingly flawless head of hair and an unerring ability to regurgitate a pre-prepared script of on-message soundbites. But in truth, I don't know what the answer is as the thought of someone like Phillip Green or Alan Sugar holding high office here in the UK would fill me with a degree of dread foreboding, so perhaps we (or I) should be careful what we wish for.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 6, 2010, 01:50:32 am »
I wonder if we would be better off if representatives were just chosen at random, like jury duty. And then maybe a 2 term cap.  Where you don't run against anyone just a simple stay or go with the random number generator to get another bloke in there and you need a certain X% of yes to stay.

I think the above idea, that representatives should be famous, accomplished, talent, rich people is really quite strange.  How the hell could that person be the best representative of the interests of the entire population of a congressional district? (well yes the entire idea of representative democracy is ridiculous, but even if I got past that bit, I still don't think that reasoning makes sense.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2010, 01:53:28 am by JoeTwerp »

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 6, 2010, 02:40:18 am »
I wonder if we would be better off if representatives were just chosen at random, like jury duty. And then maybe a 2 term cap.  Where you don't run against anyone just a simple stay or go with the random number generator to get another bloke in there and you need a certain X% of yes to stay.

The people who you suggest would be better off being replaced by random other people are voted in by those same random people. Simply widening the sample size from few to many would probably result in worse results, not better. I'd shit concrete if your name came out the hat for Mayor  ;D

I think the above idea, that representatives should be famous, accomplished, talent, rich people is really quite strange.  How the hell could that person be the best representative of the interests of the entire population of a congressional district? (well yes the entire idea of representative democracy is ridiculous, but even if I got past that bit, I still don't think that reasoning makes sense.

The Church of Twerp may not value leadership, but human history has produced a slew of influential figures who have capitulated mankind ahead through vision and character. If the standards of the candidates have waned, then surely it's the fault of those idiots who vote for them, no? Chicken and egg theory question, I suppose: are the candidates to blame? Or are dumb voters demanding dumb leaders?
« Last Edit: November 6, 2010, 02:41:52 am by El Campeador »

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 6, 2010, 04:55:52 am »
Nearly 18 months ago. How well do you think Republicans have committed themselves to being grown up and responsible in legislative affairs since then?

I dunno. While the GOP has been unhelpful and obstructionist and all this Congress, things will have to change while they're in charge. I love Paul Ryan, and he's the new House Budget Chairman. I respect Boehner a lot actually. It's a weird situation where I trust the leadership a lot. I don't know how much I trust the rank and file.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 6, 2010, 05:02:43 am »
I just reread Burke's Speech to the Electors at Bristol

But his unbiased opinion, his mature judgment, his enlightened conscience, he ought not to sacrifice to you, to any man, or to any set of men living. These he does not derive from your pleasure; no, nor from the law and the constitution. They are a trust from Providence, for the abuse of which he is deeply answerable. Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

Representative democracy, son

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 6, 2010, 05:05:01 am »
I love Paul Ryan

not 100% read up on Paul Ryan, and I haven't heard much in a while, but I think he goes in my "better than most, still not that great" category.

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #226 on: November 6, 2010, 05:05:38 am »

Why are the Republicans to blame for stopping Obama's agenda?  When I was at school in Bishopstown they taught us 60 was greater than 50% of 100.  They also did advanced math - like 258 was more than 50% of 435. 

Please explain how the Republicans stopped anything Obama wanted to do? 

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 6, 2010, 05:16:05 am »
Why are the Republicans to blame for stopping Obama's agenda?  When I was at school in Bishopstown they taught us 60 was greater than 50% of 100.  They also did advanced math - like 258 was more than 50% of 435. 

Please explain how the Republicans stopped anything Obama wanted to do? 

In the House they'd fall more in the unhelpful than obstructionist category. Their existence was meaningless, and that was fine. But they certainly did not do anything to help pass anything.

In the Senate, the usage of holds and things like that gummed up Obama and the Dems agenda. And once Scott Brown came in we had enough votes to hold up legislation if we really wanted to, which also slowed things down. I don't think that's a bad thing...glad we prevented things like cap and trade and card check from passing this Congress. But the Senate GOP was 'obstructionist'.

Now that we have the House, things will have to change because legislation that passes Congress will have to be largely acceptable to GOP interests.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 6, 2010, 05:25:57 am »
The people who you suggest would be better off being replaced by random other people are voted in by those same random people. Simply widening the sample size from few to many would probably result in worse results, not better. I'd shit concrete if your name came out the hat for Mayor  ;D 

yes its true that the people get voted in by the random other people, but that doesn't make people in congress "one of them."  Due to the nature of winner take all elections, you are not going to have much of a choice. What kinds of people are likely to run for congress? First of all, you have to be nerdy about politics.  You are going to need to either have a lot of money or be able to raise a lot of money.  So far, none of this is sounding like normal behavior.

The Church of Twerp may not value leadership, but human history has produced a slew of influential figures who have capitulated mankind ahead through vision and character. If the standards of the candidates have waned, then surely it's the fault of those idiots who vote for them, no? Chicken and egg theory question, I suppose: are the candidates to blame? Or are dumb voters demanding dumb leaders?

leadership in the general sense as a character trait, is very valuable.  Twerps are obsessed with the role of the entrepreneur in the market.

The leaders that have capitulated mankind ahead are folks like Henry Ford and Bill Gates, not Woodrow Wilson and FDR.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #229 on: November 6, 2010, 10:38:27 am »
I totally agree mate, if not for FDR and his pesky interference in WWII we would all be good little Reich fascists now and be capitulated much further forward.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #230 on: November 6, 2010, 10:40:23 am »
....I think the above idea, that representatives should be famous, accomplished, talent, rich people is really quite strange.  ....

Joe, I never said famous or rich, they would be the last qualities I personally would look for.

I said talented and accomplished and importantly, through honest endeavour, which are surely excellent and desirable qualities for someone who is going to be drafting and setting policies.

Possessing a ground floor and practical level of understanding of the impact of the decisions they would be making on behalf of the electorate surely has to be a good thing. For example, I'm not sure how coming from a wealthy background would allow someone to truly understand the impact of say social security cuts on the less fortunate.

Although we are increasingly used to the idea that politicians seem to be inevitably wealthy, it seems it's a mandatory requirement these days. But if we use wealth as a driving criteria it seems to simply encourage the equivalent of an extended royal family, a dynastic political apparatus of the rich for the rich, to grasp and hold onto the reigns of power and ensure vested interest is pursued above all else.

There is then little real equality of representation of the public, something I think is factor in the current groundswell of discontent amongst many in the West to not only their elected goverments but also extending to the opposition. They are all distrusted.  I said several years ago but I feel we are almost back to the period of the Medieval robber barons, but with a media driven opiate for the masses.

To me, it's the career politicians who are pursuing just that, a career above all else, rather than truly representing the people, that are responsible for this failure. Simplistically, give me a social worker with 20 years experience out on the streets trying to help the helpless, over a millionaires son who inherits a job at his fathers brokerage, which was my point about Reagan. He did have an accomplished history outside of politics well before he went into office.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 6, 2010, 01:28:48 pm »
but Raegan WAS famous and rich.  I'm not sure how you use the word accomplished, but if someone worked as a social worker for 20 years, while I might say that was generous or kind-hearted, I would not call that person 'accomplished' in general as a person.  Its not that doing such work for so long isn't technically an accomplishment, a noble one at that, and the person might be 'an accomplished social worker,'  but even then just showing up and working wouldn't be enough.  You would have to have written journal articles or come up with a new theory of social work to be accomplished.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 6, 2010, 01:52:05 pm »
I totally agree mate, if not for FDR and his pesky interference in WWII we would all be good little Reich fascists now and be capitulated much further forward.

I hope you are not being serious with a statement like that.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #233 on: November 6, 2010, 01:58:05 pm »
I hope you are not being serious with a statement like that.

I've converted to Twerpitude, having realised the foolish error of my ways.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #234 on: November 6, 2010, 02:11:25 pm »
but Raegan WAS famous and rich.  I'm not sure how you use the word accomplished, but if someone worked as a social worker for 20 years, while I might say that was generous or kind-hearted, I would not call that person 'accomplished' in general as a person.  Its not that doing such work for so long isn't technically an accomplishment, a noble one at that, and the person might be 'an accomplished social worker,'  but even then just showing up and working wouldn't be enough.  You would have to have written journal articles or come up with a new theory of social work to be accomplished.

Sure he was famous and rich, but they are side effects of his success in his particular field of work, the Film Industry, and achieved before he became a politician.

But there are other industries and jobs that people work very successfully in but remain largely unknown and relatively financially poor, sometimes due to altruism and charitable donations but are nevertheless exceptionally competent in their judgements. I can think of some medical and scientific researchers that fit the bill, certain members of the legal profession, as well as organisers of some charities.

Accumulating money and possessions, publishing papers, and the pursuit of fame doesn't drive everyone Joe and in truth, often happen as much by chance of being in the right place and time as by design.

And you can't take it with you when you go.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 6, 2010, 02:25:52 pm »
Accumulating money and possessions, publishing papers, and the pursuit of fame doesn't drive everyone Joe and in truth, often happen as much by chance of being in the right place and time as by design.

And you can't take it with you when you go.

Want to address this first as I think you are misunderstanding my position.  Looking back now, it was reasonable for you to say that, but  I actually do not think that "Accumulating money and possessions, publishing papers, and the pursuit of fame drives everyone" and it does not drive myself.  I was simply talking about the word 'accomplished' and how I see it used. Not actually of what I personally think a 'good' or 'ideal' life is or should be like.  Personally, I don't give a fuck about formal recognition.

Sure he was famous and rich, but they are side effects of his success in his particular field of work, the Film Industry, and achieved before he became a politician.

yes, but the point is could he have become a politician (one capable of becoming POTUS) without those side effects?

But there are other industries and jobs that people work very successfully in but remain largely unknown and relatively financially poor, sometimes due to altruism and charitable donations but are nevertheless exceptionally competent in their judgements. I can think of some medical and scientific researchers that fit the bill, certain members of the legal profession, as well as organisers of some charities.

but how exactly could you change things to get more of these types of folks in office?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #236 on: November 6, 2010, 02:36:45 pm »
........but how exactly could you change things to get more of these types of folks in office?
As I said in the first post....
.... But in truth, I don't know what the answer is as the thought of someone like Phillip Green or Alan Sugar holding high office here in the UK would fill me with a degree of dread foreboding, so perhaps we (or I) should be careful what we wish for.

I really don't know and am open to suggestions.

Obviously this is just my perception, but all I can say is I genuinely feel disenfranchised and very disillusioned under the current system which I feel is...

....But I'm dismayed by the current sway seemingly prevalent with the media driven agenda that seems to rule out age and real life experience over the promotion of career politicians of telegenic youthfullness with perfect smiles and toned bodies, a seemingly flawless head of hair and an unerring ability to regurgitate a pre-prepared script of on-message soundbites. .....

It might just be an age thing on my behalf, the older you get the more pissed off you become with everything. Grumpy old man syndrome. :)

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #237 on: November 7, 2010, 12:33:47 pm »
Good riddence to bad trailer trash.

This woman is all that's wrong with the states and there is so much that is right and good, she is hatred and bigotry personified
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 7, 2010, 02:46:32 pm »
This woman is all that's wrong with the states and there is so much that is right and good, she is hatred and bigotry personified

I'm no Sarah Palin defender, but that was a bit harsh.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 8, 2010, 07:44:31 am »
The whole tea party movement is so stupid it's dangerous. Choosing to join it says much about the persons IQ.
Justice for the 96!