Author Topic: The Indomitable Ibou  (Read 262040 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Indomitable Ibou
« Reply #1400 on: May 19, 2022, 10:17:45 am »
Konate is why we didn't panic buy in Jan 2021.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1401 on: May 19, 2022, 11:54:14 am »
He's just very....big. That's all you can say. He's absolutely massive. And speedy to boot. Fantastic signing.

and he loves Anime which makes him all that much more awesome.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1402 on: May 19, 2022, 01:47:18 pm »
Haha left out of the France squad. Even Varane is ahead of him ffs.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #1403 on: May 19, 2022, 01:57:48 pm »
Konate is why we didn't panic buy in Jan 2021.

Without knowing for certain I'd say this is probably correct.

Couldn't get him in Jan 2021 and waited for him rather than buying someone further down our 'wanted' list for centre back in Jan 2021.

People were hugely critical of the centre back business in January 2021. Even Klopp was frustrated. Looking back with hindsight, the club probably got the decision right in the long term. We almost certainly weren't winning the league or the CL by buying Caleta-Car or someone of that ilk and dropping them into the team in January 2021.

Still managed to get CL in 2020/21 and we now have a 22 year old centre back who looks like he could turn into 1 of the best in the World if he progresses accordingly.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1404 on: May 19, 2022, 02:16:37 pm »

Deschamps’ reasoning:

"Since he’s been at Liverpool, he’s mostly played in a 4-man defence. And there is competition [in the France team].”

“I brought William [Saliba] last time and he always plays in a back 3. It’s either one or the other, it’s very competitive, and that’s very good – it allows for the veterans to not get too comfortable.”

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1405 on: May 19, 2022, 02:18:46 pm »
That's Deschamps for you.  He drove Laporte into changing his nationality by picking Zouma instead (a slight simplification of the sequence of events ;D).

I think Varane is also their vice-captain so he'll probably always be selected unless injured.  I'm disappointed for Konate but I'm never too bothered when our players get overlooked internationally - less opportunity for something bad to happen.

Deschamps’ reasoning:

"Since he’s been at Liverpool, he’s mostly played in a 4-man defence. And there is competition [in the France team].”

“I brought William [Saliba] last time and he always plays in a back 3. It’s either one or the other, it’s very competitive, and that’s very good – it allows for the veterans to not get too comfortable.”
Unless the "veteran" is Varane who's also played in a 4-man defence this season and, unlike Konate, has been dreadful.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 02:21:25 pm by thaddeus »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1406 on: May 19, 2022, 02:28:07 pm »
That's Deschamps for you.  He drove Laporte into changing his nationality by picking Zouma instead (a slight simplification of the sequence of events ;D).

I think Varane is also their vice-captain so he'll probably always be selected unless injured.  I'm disappointed for Konate but I'm never too bothered when our players get overlooked internationally - less opportunity for something bad to happen.
Unless the "veteran" is Varane who's also played in a 4-man defence this season and, unlike Konate, has been dreadful.

Varane has been dreadful? How? He plays for the Might Man United? Surely that's just unpossible?

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #1407 on: May 19, 2022, 02:42:25 pm »
I think Varane is also their vice-captain so he'll probably always be selected unless injured.

When it comes to experienced players, a lot of international managers will pick players based on what they have done for them rather than their club form. As long as they are playing then I think most managers of a national team go with what they know.

I think that changes with younger players and those on the periphery of the squad. I think a lot of national managers pick and choose based on club form in this scenario.

Varane probably fits in that 1st category and Deschamps will view his form this season as a function of United's woes and not necessarily directly linked to Varane's ability or his ability to perform at a high level in a different system with different players for France.

Feel sorry for Konate but it's always going to be hard to break into this French team.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1408 on: May 20, 2022, 04:32:37 pm »

Doesnt surprise me, Deschamps is notorious for sticking with his "Favorites" despite others playing better

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1409 on: May 22, 2022, 06:47:39 pm »
Mistimed a few key challenges today - most notably the header for the Wolves goal and that mad tackle in Wolves half which saw them counterattack us with 2 our our places vs. 4 of theres. Need the experience of Matip to start against Madrid next to Van Dijk please

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1410 on: May 22, 2022, 06:49:53 pm »
Matip can't handle the pace of Vincious on Trent's side.  We will need Ibu and he will have Big Virj besides him anyway.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1411 on: May 22, 2022, 06:52:44 pm »
It was a weird game from him because defensively he was making errors all over the shop. But then it's probably the best game I've seen from him on the ball.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #1412 on: May 22, 2022, 06:55:47 pm »
Madrid are no Wolves. Their only strategy is to induce mistakes and punish them 99/100 times. Konate has 2 or 3 mistakes in him that will instantly equate to goals conceded with the likes of Benzema pouncing.

This game has to be precise and clean from us. Matip is that man. Fully focused.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #1413 on: May 22, 2022, 07:07:35 pm »
He looked tired today, at times he could barely get back in to defensive positions. What a first season for him though, he can look back on it with pride.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1414 on: May 22, 2022, 07:10:31 pm »
Would still pick him rather than Matip, assumping VVD is fit.
I think if we negate the out ball and pace of Vinicius, we really can prevent the number of times Benzema gets the ball in scoring areas.
With Matip, I think he will get roasted for pace, if Trent and Henderson do not help out against Vinicius.

100% would go with Konate for the final.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1415 on: May 22, 2022, 07:10:59 pm »
...besides, he is the lucky charm. We STILL have never lost a game with him on the pitch :P
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1416 on: May 22, 2022, 07:11:46 pm »
Matip can't handle the pace of Vincious on Trent's side.  We will need Ibu and he will have Big Virj besides him anyway.

Matip won't need to handle his pace to much if we play our high line properly and that tends to be he case when Matip and Van Dijk play. Without Thiago we need some one that can break the lines with passing from deep and Matip is much more likely to do that then Konate.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1417 on: May 22, 2022, 07:14:49 pm »

Matip won't need to handle his pace to much if we play our high line properly and that tends to be he case when Matip and Van Dijk play. Without Thiago we need some one that can break the lines with passing from deep and Matip is much more likely to do that then Konate.

Thats a good counter argument to make the case for Matip.
In favour of Konate, I think he is also better in the opposition box on corners. A real thread. Although of course, Matip looped one in recently :P

Interesting dilemna for Klopp.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1418 on: May 24, 2022, 01:41:21 am »
Thats a good counter argument to make the case for Matip.
In favour of Konate, I think he is also better in the opposition box on corners. A real thread. Although of course, Matip looped one in recently :P

Interesting dilemna for Klopp.
The answer is obvious. Drop that Virgil guy and have both Matip and Konate on the pitch.

Why do ppl not see the obvious?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1419 on: May 24, 2022, 02:33:10 pm »
Madrid are no Wolves. Their only strategy is to induce mistakes and punish them 99/100 times. Konate has 2 or 3 mistakes in him that will instantly equate to goals conceded with the likes of Benzema pouncing.

This game has to be precise and clean from us. Matip is that man. Fully focused.

Please give us the list of games where Konate has shown 3-4 mistakes in? We'll assume Wolves game is the first and worst example...
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1420 on: May 25, 2022, 02:31:47 pm »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1421 on: May 25, 2022, 03:36:06 pm »
No dragon ball theme bday wish?

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1422 on: May 25, 2022, 03:52:52 pm »
Ibou turned 6 when we won in Istanbul! Surely its a sign!

Happy birthday Ibou!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1423 on: May 25, 2022, 04:18:04 pm »

The club did a good 3-minute interview with him - interspersed with some quality animation...

'FROM PARIS TO ANFIELD... AND BACK! | InspiRED with Ibrahima Konate':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FhR8PmolB9M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FhR8PmolB9M</a>

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1424 on: May 25, 2022, 04:18:10 pm »
Many happy returns. Can't believe he's only 23. Hopefully many years and trophies ahead of him here at Liverpool.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #1425 on: May 28, 2022, 12:50:44 pm »
Hopefully he can take the cup back to La Roquette

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1030171914286632

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1426 on: May 28, 2022, 10:44:20 pm »
Had a couple of iffy moments, but overall, especially considering his age, I think he can hold his head high tonight.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1427 on: May 28, 2022, 10:45:12 pm »
Was magnificent a few times when one v one with Vinicous.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1428 on: May 28, 2022, 10:47:15 pm »
Was great out there on the biggest stage in his hometown. One reason to be positive tonight.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1429 on: May 28, 2022, 10:48:31 pm »
Brilliant defending. Great display from him He will keep getting better

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1430 on: May 28, 2022, 10:49:34 pm »
Awesome today, can’t believe I was worried about him starting over Matip

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1431 on: May 28, 2022, 10:49:42 pm »
Incredible performance. An absolute rock. His reading of the game is probably better than his physical qualities, which are immense.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1432 on: May 28, 2022, 10:53:20 pm »
Thought he had a very good game.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1433 on: May 28, 2022, 10:53:57 pm »
Rare silver lining tonight.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1434 on: May 28, 2022, 10:54:03 pm »
One of the few who can hold his head up high tonight. He was superb.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1435 on: May 28, 2022, 10:54:13 pm »
He was brilliant tonight, we have a real gem on our hands.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1436 on: May 28, 2022, 10:56:39 pm »
He was fantastic.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1437 on: May 28, 2022, 10:57:24 pm »
Outstanding tonight. Didn’t give Vini or Benzema anything.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Cozzymoto

• Main Stander
« Reply #1438 on: May 28, 2022, 10:57:34 pm »
MOTM - Hes one of the few players that can hold his head high. Immense today.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #1439 on: May 28, 2022, 10:59:01 pm »
Totally magnificent.  Nothing to add.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!