Author Topic: Not quite so 'Super' League  (Read 525087 times)

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
Not quite so 'Super' League
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:52:45 pm »
The Times

Five English clubs are among 11 European teams who have signed up to a breakaway Super League in an extraordinary development on the eve of Uefa’s announcement of a new Champions League format.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have signed up to the breakaway plan with only Manchester City among the Big Six yet to do so, sources with knowledge of the development have told The Times.

The Super League development is a direct challenge to Uefa which is to announce its new 36-team Champions League format on Monday, to come into force from 2024. The European governing body had thought it had seen off the threat of a breakaway but is now involved in urgent talks with other football bodies about the new development.

Uefa had succeeded in winning the support of the European Club Association (ECA) board and the European Leagues but it emerged today that the Super League threat had been revived with the ECA chairman Andrea Agnelli, also the Juventus president, appearing to throw his hat in with the breakaway clubs led by Manchester United and Real Madrid.

Other members of the ECA board, who had agreed to the new Champions League format, and Uefa officials have attempted to contact Agnelli since Saturday evening but one source said he “has gone off the radar”.

Uefa insiders insist they will press ahead with the announcement for the new-look Champions League which will see clubs playing 10 group matches instead of six.

If the Super League clubs do not back down then the dispute is likely to end up in courts given that Uefa and Fifa have promised to ban any clubs and players who take part in breakaway competitions from their tournaments such as the Euros and the World Cup.

The Times revealed in January that a proposal document showed founder members of a proposed European Super League would be offered up to 350million euros (£310million) each to join the competition.

There would be among 15 permanent founding members and five other clubs, who would qualify on an annual basis. They would be split into two groups of 10 and play between 18 and 23 European matches a season.

SPONSORED

The Super League proposals include:

- The 15 founder clubs sharing an initial 3.5billion (£3.1billion) euro “infrastructure grant” ranging from £310million to £89million per club which can be spent on stadiums, training facilities or “to replace lost stadium-related revenues due to Covid-19”.

- The format would see two groups of 10 clubs who play home and away, with the top four from each group going through to two-legged quarter-finals, semi-finals and a one-legged final.

- Matches would be midweek and clubs would still play in domestic leagues

- Clubs would have rights to show four matches a season on their own the digital platforms across the world

- Income from TV and sponsorship would favour the founding clubs: 32.5% of the pot would be shared equally between the 15 clubs, and another 32.5% between all Super League clubs including the five qualifiers

- 20% of the pot would be merit money “distributed in the same manner as the current English Premier League merit-based system” according to where clubs finish in the competition or group if they don’t make the knock-out stage

- The remaining 15% would get a “commercial share based on club awareness”

- A cap of 55% of revenues permitted to be spent on salaries and transfers (net)

- A ‘Financial Sustainability Group’ would monitor clubs’ spending

The emergence of the written proposals led football’s authorities to take unified action to combat the threat. A Super League would be disastrous for the Champions League which relies on the glamour of the top clubs to attract broadcasters.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:28:34 pm by John C »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Breakaway Super League... The Times
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 01:56:35 pm »
The moment UEFA gave up in its fight against City this moment was inevitable. I think there is a bit politics in the announcement of this by UEFA, but they only have themselves to blame for a lot of it. They have been as good as useless as a guardian of the game recently.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 01:58:29 pm »
We really should consider breaking away from this godforsaken league and country.  We're respected a lot more on the continent than here.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 02:02:29 pm »
We really should consider breaking away from this godforsaken league and country.  We're respected a lot more on the continent than here.

We really shouldn't. It's a dreadful idea and one I suspect will lead to mass protests by fans if things progress down that route in any meaningful way.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 02:04:20 pm »
As I have said on many ocassions, the ESL is inevitable. It is only a matter of time before it happens ...

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 02:05:58 pm »
The moment UEFA gave up in its fight against City this moment was inevitable. I think there is a bit politics in the announcement of this by UEFA, but they only have themselves to blame for a lot of it. They have been as good as useless as a guardian of the game recently.

Of course, it was.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 02:06:52 pm »
We really shouldn't. It's a dreadful idea and one I suspect will lead to mass protests by fans if things progress down that route in any meaningful way.

It's inevitable. We damn well make sure we're one of the founders of the Super League and not join up a decade or so later. We'll be further behind the powerhouses than we are currently.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 02:07:18 pm »

What is the point of FFP and UEFA if oil states can ignore it or drive it into the ground... ?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 02:09:48 pm »
The english league, the culture,  the language,  the Commonwealth links made Liverpool's global presence possible Samie.  A French club doing what we've done wouldn't have that presence,  not even close.

The Super league proposal is a horrific idea designed to entrench the 'founder'  clubs financially,  to guarantee their competitive level by breaking competition.  Agnelli's a c*nt,  a dumb one at that,  every club and owner fronting,  designing,  working this proposal is a direct and grave threat to the logic of competition itself.  Including us.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 02:14:18 pm »
Just had enough mate. Fans of other clubs who have no reason what so ever to not like us or we're in no way any rivals seem to think it's okay to despise us. Like I said we're more respected in Milan than Maidstone for fucks sakes.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 02:18:57 pm »
The english league, the culture,  the language,  the Commonwealth links made Liverpool's global presence possible Samie.  A French club doing what we've done wouldn't have that presence,  not even close.

The Super league proposal is a horrific idea designed to entrench the 'founder'  clubs financially,  to guarantee their competitive level by breaking competition.  Agnelli's a c*nt,  a dumb one at that,  every club and owner fronting,  designing,  working this proposal is a direct and grave threat to the logic of competition itself.  Including us.

The Premier League have fucked themselves when they have allowed for Abramovich and Mansour to dominate the league with their oil money for 2 decades. The same happened with UEFA, and that is why Man City and Chelsea are still in the CL.

Now, the real big English clubs (LFC and Man Utd) are doing what is best for themselves. The ESL will be a competition for the big clubs, not for the sports-washing clubs. That is probably why Man City have still not signed up for it ...

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 02:21:30 pm »
Teams would still play in domestic leagues though right ?

Not sure I understand why fans would be agaisnt it ?

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 02:22:45 pm »
From what I read this one is about replacing the champions league format and would still compete in domestic competition ... though probably wouldn’t be long before that is looked at if this goes through.

The new Champions League format they want to put in from 2024 seems awful too... I don’t know. I’m glad I got to see us win big ears again and finally the league but with VAR, financial doping, toxic banter on social media between fanbases and super leagues ... I kinda feel I wouldn’t miss football but haven’t yet taken that leap.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 02:24:54 pm »
Tariq Panja of the NYT says that City have agreed along with the 5 other English clubs
The teams involved so far are limited to almost a dozen from Spain, Italy and England, with a cohort of six from the Premier League — United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham — representing the biggest grouping from a single country. Atlético Madrid is the other team from Spain that is said to have endorsed the project, while the Milan rivals Internazionale and A.C. Milan would join Juventus as Italy’s representatives.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 02:25:57 pm »
The Premier League have fucked themselves when they have allowed for Abramovich and Mansour to dominate the league with their oil money for 2 decades. The same happened with UEFA, and that is why Man City and Chelsea are still in the CL.

Now, the real big English clubs (LFC and Man Utd) are doing what is best for themselves. The ESL will be a competition for the big clubs, not for the sports-washing clubs. That is probably why Man City have still not signed up for it ...

Aye,  that big club Spurs bringing the legacy...

It's a simple,  direct attempt to control,  insure money.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:36:17 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 02:27:42 pm »
From what I read this one is about replacing the champions league format and would still compete in domestic competition ... though probably wouldn’t be long before that is looked at if this goes through.

The new Champions League format they want to put in from 2024 seems awful too... I don’t know. I’m glad I got to see us win big ears again and finally the league but with VAR, financial doping, toxic banter on social media between fanbases and super leagues ... I kinda feel I wouldn’t miss football but haven’t yet taken that leap.

This season has done it for me - no fans, EPL version of VAR, UEFA and FFP and the Champions League semi-finals showing that you can dope your way to the top.

Not for me anymore. Something drastic has to happen.
JFT97

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 02:28:48 pm »
Not a fan of the format, but is still better than that garbage swiss model which will absolutely ruin Chmapions league. To be honest, UEFA and FA have done this to themselves with the way they've failed to introduce a well defined Financial Fair Play and enforce it strongly enough. The way Chelsea and City just managed to buy their way to titles sets precedent for more oil money to flow in at which point, it becomes a league of who spends more instead of football. Don't think this'll end up happening though. There'll be some sort of compromise with UEFA and we'll end up with a League style Champions League with a smaller knockout stage but in all honesty, I hope there'd be a way for the current format to stay as much as possible.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 02:28:58 pm »
But what about the Ev?

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 02:30:04 pm »
Yes, that’s true. But is Europe going to be any less corrupt?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 02:30:11 pm »
CL's new plan sounds utter shit, annoying when they try and fix things that aren't broken.

And why are Tottenham always seemingly invited to these things?  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 02:33:04 pm »
What’s the reposed new CL format? I missed that.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 02:33:34 pm »
Not a shock with the levels of greed and corruption throughout UEFA/FIFA, I don't think it's a bad thing for the clubs involved to have an alternative plan to use as leverage, too many organisations in football are trying to cram in more and more games for their own benefit. Whether an actual Super League ever happens or what the eventual format is who knows, but right now it just all seems like posturing, I wouldn't be shocked to see the CL continue on but for the big clubs to influence the structure.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 02:34:59 pm »

More teams and 10 group games instead of 6 (last I checked).

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 02:36:00 pm »

That Swiss system thingy--

"Within the next few weeks, it seems likely to be confirmed that from 2024 the Champions League will adopt the so-called “Swiss system”, with the group stage replaced by a format by which 36 teams each play 10 games, determined by seedings, with the top eight going forward to a last 16 and the teams between ninth and 24th playing off for the other eight slots."

"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2021, 02:36:26 pm »
They need to fix the FFP rules and enforce them, which will not happen...you cannot compete with the Oil States within the current model; these teams know they are elite clubs who can earn much more outside of the current UEFA model.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 02:36:51 pm »

Just one big league but you only play 10 games and the top 16 go into knockout rounds. Or something stupid like that.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 02:37:13 pm »
EGM on at UEFA currently.   :o

6 English clubs, 3 Spanish clubs & 3 Italian clubs are set to announce the creation of a European Super League this evening,
 - there would be no French nor German sides in the competition, UEFA crisis meeting apparently currently ongoing.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 02:38:17 pm »
Fuck's sake, can't we leave City out of it at least

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2021, 02:39:13 pm »
EGM on at UEFA currently.   :o

Whose source is that coming from?

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 02:40:33 pm »
What a stupid idea bunch of greedy fucks.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2021, 02:40:35 pm »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2021, 02:40:36 pm »
Stolen off FB:

The Super League proposals include:

- The 15 founder clubs sharing an initial 3.5billion (£3.1billion) euro “infrastructure grant” ranging from £310million to £89million per club which can be spent on stadiums, training facilities or “to replace lost stadium-related revenues due to Covid-19”.

- The format would see two groups of 10 clubs who play home and away, with the top four from each group going through to two-legged quarter-finals, semi-finals and a one-legged final.

- Matches would be midweek and clubs would still play in domestic leagues

- Clubs would have rights to show four matches a season on their own the digital platforms across the world

- Income from TV and sponsorship would favour the founding clubs: 32.5% of the pot would be shared equally between the 15 clubs, and another 32.5% between all Super League clubs including the five qualifiers

- 20% of the pot would be merit money “distributed in the same manner as the current English Premier League merit-based system” according to where clubs finish in the competition or group if they don’t make the knock-out stage

- The remaining 15% would get a “commercial share based on club awareness”

- A cap of 55% of revenues permitted to be spent on salaries and transfers (net)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2021, 02:41:02 pm »
The Champions League has ruined domestic football. The only way to correct the balance would be to pool all the prize money achieved by teams of a country and distributed all that prize money evenly between all the teams in their domestic league rather than the teams in the CL keeping it all and just getting richer and richer and leaving their domestic rivals behind. But that will never happen.

I think it's just inevitable that teams will leave their domestic competitions to compete exclusively in continental and world competitions mainly because they'll be so dominant in the domestic games they'll be no point in them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:44:17 pm by peachybum »
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2021, 02:42:12 pm »
The Champions League has ruined domestic football. The only way to correct the balance would be to pool all the prize money achieved by teams of a country and distributed all that prize money evenly between all the teams in their domestic league rather than the teams in the CL keeping it all and just getting richer and richer and leaving their domestic rivals behind. But that will never happen.

I think it's just inevitable that teams will leave their domestic competitions to compete exclusively and continent and world competitions mainly because they'll be so dominant in the domestic games they'll be no point in them.

You're never gonna get that while also letting oil clubs spends hundreds of millions a year

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2021, 02:42:29 pm »

I'm sure that's going to be absolutely fine.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2021, 02:43:11 pm »
You're never gonna get that while also letting oil clubs spends hundreds of millions a year

The same oil clubs are in the super league also.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2021, 02:43:17 pm »
I'd no longer become a Liverpool fan if this cash grab competition starts, probably switch to the BuLi and support Dortmund or 1860 Munich or so, at least with Germany the connection between working class people and their clubs would still be intact.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:48:09 pm by please, I have my reasons for it but... »
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2021, 02:44:31 pm »
Clubs having the right to show some games on their own platforms will be a huge part of the clubs interest in this... it’s bugged FSG for years.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2021, 02:44:39 pm »
The announcement of the creation of the European Super League led by Real Madrid and Manchester United is imminent.
[@marca]